Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

3D printed guns....
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

I Root For: ECU Pirates,
3D printed guns....
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/jud...ns-n896371

Only posting this article for a reference point in the fact it can be done. and the do work.

Not sure how I feel about all the post/don't post plans on the internet as I believe that once the cat is out of the bag on the idea itself anyone, anywhere can do this now that they see it can be done. It does not necessarily have to be from the plans this guy developed.

I'd feel pretty confident that even without the evolution of 3D printing there have been custom guns made in "shops" all over the world for centuries so this isn't really something new to that end game but the fact that these are plastic, no serial numbers, undetectable, untraceable leads me down the rabbit whole of custom home made weapons that anyone anywhere can make if they can afford the printer versus actual real gun-smithing.
07-31-2018 07:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

stinkfist Offline
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
RE: 3D printed guns....
that tech should be illegal to manufacture.....period....

edit: for consumer purchase

I'm cool with a licensed corp. or small business,
(This post was last modified: 07-31-2018 07:09 PM by stinkfist.)
07-31-2018 07:05 PM
Fort Bend Owl Offline
Legend

I Root For: An easy win
The Parliament Awards
I'll admit that I don't understand the concept of 3D printed guns all that well but for some reason I think of the scene from the movie In The Line of Fire where John Malkovich made his own gun from wood (?) that was meant to not set off a metal detector. From this article, these guns don't last very long and are expensive to make so some people don't think criminals would want to use them, but if they can get past a standard metal detector, then perhaps they will be used in the same way Malkovich used his in that movie?
07-31-2018 07:07 PM
olliebaba Offline
Legend

I Root For: Christ
I'm for the second amendment but I see nothing but wrong on this topic. Why would you want a weapon that can be hidden from detection. That's one reason for derringers where they are small and less likely to be found on a person unless he's searched and how many venues do we go to where they'll check bags but never frisked. This is a very dangerous weapon that may be used to endanger public figures in jam packed auditoriums.
07-31-2018 07:08 PM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
everybody is overlooking the most important part. are 3d printed guns skeery lookin?
07-31-2018 07:09 PM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

(07-31-2018 07:09 PM)shere khan Wrote:  everybody is overlooking the most important part. are 3d printed guns skeery lookin?

I'm sure you can get them in any color you want to use..... just go all black or a dark color and they'd look somewhat official from a distance.
07-31-2018 07:52 PM
Advertisement

PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

(07-31-2018 07:05 PM)stinkfist Wrote:  that tech should be illegal to manufacture.....period....

If you go down the illegal route....

Which falls under illegal?

The printer manufacturer?
The "stuff" they get printed from manufacturer?
Website or whatever that has the blueprints up?

If we go down the fire arms route.... well what if a reputable arms manufacturer makes a line of these with model/serial numbers? You can buy legit fire arms with all sorts of loopholes and failures to proper checks out there--not to mention, even the normal people could get ticked enough to have that thought to get armed up(aka mental angle). Also, hell, all the already illegal arms sales already going on in the world.

I'm just saying that aside from an outright ban of all arms for the general public there is no way to stop this once its out in the public domain. Even then I am sure someone could argue how do all those weapons get out there to be sold on the black market? Governments, arms manufacturers, ect... all have some sort of hand in circle of life with weapons.
07-31-2018 07:59 PM
Paul M Offline
American-American

I Root For: OU
(07-31-2018 07:09 PM)shere khan Wrote:  everybody is overlooking the most important part. are 3d printed guns skeery lookin?

More insidious than that. Skeery idea.
07-31-2018 09:34 PM
stinkfist Offline
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
(07-31-2018 07:59 PM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  
(07-31-2018 07:05 PM)stinkfist Wrote:  that tech should be illegal to manufacture.....period....

If you go down the illegal route....

Which falls under illegal?

The printer manufacturer?
The "stuff" they get printed from manufacturer?
Website or whatever that has the blueprints up?

If we go down the fire arms route.... well what if a reputable arms manufacturer makes a line of these with model/serial numbers? You can buy legit fire arms with all sorts of loopholes and failures to proper checks out there--not to mention, even the normal people could get ticked enough to have that thought to get armed up(aka mental angle). Also, hell, all the already illegal arms sales already going on in the world.

I'm just saying that aside from an outright ban of all arms for the general public there is no way to stop this once its out in the public domain. Even then I am sure someone could argue how do all those weapons get out there to be sold on the black market? Governments, arms manufacturers, ect... all have some sort of hand in circle of life with weapons.

hence my point of selling that tech to the gp.....

at some point you have to look at the negatives....

the digital age is a dangerous place.....and the evil ones will always take advantage.....it's no different than any conqueror......

the one thing the mfgr could do is disallow any weaponry to be 'printed' via code or transmission into a universal database......and that wouldn't be easy, but could be solved.....however,, then it would become a violation or 'rights'.......
(This post was last modified: 07-31-2018 09:44 PM by stinkfist.)
07-31-2018 09:40 PM
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
Repeating firearms were built using 19th century technology & equipment and people are worried about single shot plastic guns utilizing a system that costs more than the street value of a standard firearm.

Need to start adding some names to this thread:

https://csnbbs.com/thread-843173.html
07-31-2018 10:37 PM
banker Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Marshall
I don't understand how having a plastic gun makes it undetectable to metal detectors, the ammo is still lead and brass. Well, unless you are carry it unloaded, then it's just a plastic toy gun. Unless I'm missing something or if there are plastic bullets and casings that I am unaware of.
07-31-2018 11:15 PM
Advertisement

DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
1.This could bankrupt the gun makers which would put people out of the job.

2.It seems the NRA wants this to be done. They really need new leadership towards people who could lead for gun safety.

3.Terrorists, felons and mental impaired people can easily by pass the background checks to get these guns.

There are Democrats and Republicans both including gun owners are sounding the alarm because it can do a lot of harm. Even Trump wiegth in saying it is a bad idea.
08-01-2018 03:35 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Kaplony Offline

(08-01-2018 03:35 AM)DavidSt Wrote:  1.This could bankrupt the gun makers which would put people out of the job.

2.It seems the NRA wants this to be done. They really need new leadership towards people who could lead for gun safety.

3.Terrorists, felons and mental impaired people can easily by pass the background checks to get these guns.

There are Democrats and Republicans both including gun owners are sounding the alarm because it can do a lot of harm. Even Trump wiegth in saying it is a bad idea.

[Image: g4cHRCn.jpg]
08-01-2018 06:34 AM
Paul M Offline
American-American

I Root For: OU
"Shall not be infringed" seems to be a hard concept for some.
08-01-2018 07:04 AM
dfarr Offline
Murse Practitioner

I Root For: UAB
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(08-01-2018 03:35 AM)DavidSt Wrote:  1.This could bankrupt the gun makers which would put people out of the job.

1. Not sure how a single use plastic gun will put gun makers out of business. Any normal gun owner wants a gun that won't explode in his hand.

2. Not sure how this changes gun safety at all.

3. Do you think terrorists and felons go through background checks in the first place? Good lord your brain cells much have fought each other hard to think of such a dumb sentence.
(This post was last modified: 08-01-2018 07:18 AM by dfarr.)
08-01-2018 07:17 AM
TigerBlue4Ever Offline
Unapologetic A-hole

I Root For: yo mama
Given the safety, or lack thereof, of these guns why would anyone risk one exploding in their hands? I'll take mine in cold hard steel thank you.
08-01-2018 07:33 AM
Advertisement

Ohio Poly Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ohio Poly

Not yet. I've seen some pictures. They look like toys, which is sure to get some more people holding toys killed by police.
(This post was last modified: 08-01-2018 07:49 AM by Ohio Poly.)
08-01-2018 07:38 AM
Kaplony Offline

(08-01-2018 07:38 AM)Ohio Poly Wrote:  

Not yet. I've seen some pictures. They look like toys, which is sure to get some more people holding toys to get killed by police.

[Image: onGtDDD.jpg]
08-01-2018 07:47 AM
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
The gun control game is over boys. This post is like 5-8 years out of date.

They now make automated AR-15 lower end mills. That's totally legal. And it spits out "ghost guns" without any serials or other identifying information. Put in your 80% lower receiver ... come back in a few hours ... assemble your AR-15 from off the shelf parts and go.

That's before we even get into 3D printing with metal instead of plastics.
(This post was last modified: 08-02-2018 12:22 AM by georgia_tech_swagger.)
08-02-2018 12:20 AM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

I Root For: ODU
3D printed guns....
I'm not well versed in 3D printing, but how much would such a device as no the materials cost? How much would one have to sell on the black market at what price to break even? Just doesn't seem like it would be the most efficient way to get an illegal weapon.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
(This post was last modified: 08-02-2018 05:38 AM by EverRespect.)
08-02-2018 05:36 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.