Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Schedule Breakdown: UTEP
Bookmark and Share
Side Show Joe Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: North Texas
Schedule Breakdown: UTEP
Over the next few weeks I'll post threads like this to explore how each C-USA program's schedule might play out. I think the best method is to start with the worst records from last season and move to the best.

Today, let's talk UTEP. The Miners new coach comes from the Bill Snyder coaching tree at K-State, and he appears to have a massive rebuild ahead of him. The new staff has brought in some transfers that could provide an immediate impact, and hopefully lead to some early success. Which games do you feel they will win, and which should they lose? What is the logic for your predictions?

Here is the schedule with my predictions. C-USA fans, I look forward to reading your thoughts.

W- Northern Arizona (FCS competition)
L- @ UNLV (possible MWC bowl team)
L- @ Tennessee (Too much SEC talent)
W- New Mexico State (week after NMS plays New Mexico)
L- @ UTSA (Tough road game for UTEP)
L- North Texas (Too much offense to stop)
L- @ LA Tech (Strong team and UTEP's on the road)
L- UAB (Clark is a great coach)
L- @ Rice (Close call, but Rice has the home field)
L- Middle Tennessee (Tough eastern opponent)
L- @ WKU (WKU should be down, but still better and at home)
L- Southern Miss (USM could have bowl eligibility on the line, that's bad for UTEP)

Not a great season, and I wish I could find more wins on this schedule, but certainly an improvement over 0-12. 2-2 in OOC's is good for C-USA.

I'll post the next team in a few days. 04-cheers
(This post was last modified: 07-26-2018 04:02 PM by Side Show Joe.)
07-26-2018 03:54 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

UTEPDallas Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UTEP/Penn State
RE: Schedule Breakdown: UTEP
I think the Miners will go 3-9. It’s a total rebuilding project and i hope I’m proved wrong with more wins.

I don’t want to sound like a dbag but this conference needs UTEP to win. Having over 40k at the Sun Bowl looks good on tv. Even better if it’s a sellout. 52k fans screaming at a stadium surrounded by hills on a cool desert night makes a good impression on tv.
07-26-2018 07:22 PM
Noodles Offline
All American

I Root For: Southern Miss
(07-26-2018 07:22 PM)UTEPDallas Wrote:  I think the Miners will go 3-9. It’s a total rebuilding project and i hope I’m proved wrong with more wins.

I don’t want to sound like a dbag but this conference needs UTEP to win. Having over 40k at the Sun Bowl looks good on tv. Even better if it’s a sellout. 52k fans screaming at a stadium surrounded by hills on a cool desert night makes a good impression on tv.

Absolutely. UTEP is C-USA's sleeping giant. You guys get it together in football AND basketball, and we have liftoff.
07-26-2018 08:20 PM
stanman505 Offline
All American

I Root For: UTEP
W- Northern Arizona (FCS competition) Win
L- @ UNLV (possible MWC bowl team) Win
L- @ Tennessee (Too much SEC talent) Loss
W- New Mexico State (week after NMS plays New Mexico) Win
L- @ UTSA (Tough road game for UTEP) Loss
L- North Texas (Too much offense to stop) Loss
L- @ LA Tech (Strong team and UTEP's on the road) Loss
L- UAB (Clark is a great coach) I think this is a pickem game
L- @ Rice (Close call, but Rice has the home field) Win
L- Middle Tennessee (Tough eastern opponent) Loss but close
L- @ WKU (WKU should be down, but still better and at home) Win
L- Southern Miss (USM could have bowl eligibility on the line, that's bad for UTEP) Loss

UTEP is hard to figure out right now. The offense was terrible last year but has added the Juco offensive MVP from last year, Kai Locksley at quarterback and all Big 12 fullback Winston Dimel on offense. On defense the big addition is Oregon transfer AJ Hotchkins who is expected to replace Alvin Jones.

When looking at the schedule, UTEP must beat NAU.
UNLV will be coming off of playing USC which gives UTEP a better shot
Tennessee- There is no way UTEP wins but will keep it close for a half because UTEP's offensive coordinator was at Tennessee last year.
NMSU- NMSU lost most of their offensive talent last year and UTEP gets them in El Paso. Coach Dimel knows this is a must win.
UTSA- The two team seem to win on the road. I don't think UTEP will win but it will be close.
UNT- They have too much offense and will beat UTEP
LaTech- UTEP has not had much success and that will continue
UAB- This game could go either way since it is in El Paso
Rice- Rice caught UTEP after playing Oklahoma last year. UTEP lost 2 players to season ending injuries during the game and it really showed. I just have a gut feeling UTEP will get the win here.
MTSU- will be to much for UTEP but the game will not be decided until the 4th quarter.
WKU- UTEP should have won the game last year but missed THREE field goals and lost by 1. UTEP has addressed that problem and will get the win.
USM- has always had UTEP's number and will continue that trend this year.

Overall I see 4/5 wins this year. I have spoken to players and they say the attitude of the staff and their approach to the players is totally different than last year. The one thing that could dramatically change the season is injuries, but that is the case for virtually all teams in CUSA.
07-27-2018 11:40 AM
Project O Offline
2nd String

W- Northern Arizona
L- @ UNLV
L- @ Tennesse
W- New Mexico State
L- @ UTSA
W- North Texas
L- @ LA Tech
W- UAB
L- @ Rice
W- Middle Tennessee
L- @ WKU
W- Southern Miss

6-6 after 0-12 season.......not to shabby
07-27-2018 11:41 PM
ODU AGGIE Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
Joe, I laid out a spread sheet to project wins and losses for Banker's Stock Contest. So I will use my "analysis" to compare our projections as you present each team. For UTEP, we are pretty darn close, but I was able to find even one more loss than you did. Here's how I see it.

L- New Mexico State (State is POed after losing to NM and takes it our on UTEP)
L- UAB (Hint: UAB will be a team to reckon with in the West)
L- Southern Miss (USM could have bowl eligibility on the line, that's bad for UTEP)
07-28-2018 08:17 AM
Advertisement

stanman505 Offline
All American

(07-28-2018 08:17 AM)ODU AGGIE Wrote:  Joe, I laid out a spread sheet to project wins and losses for Banker's Stock Contest. So I will use my "analysis" to compare our projections as you present each team. For UTEP, we are pretty darn close, but I was able to find even one more loss than you did. Here's how I see it.

L- New Mexico State (State is POed after losing to NM and takes it out on UTEP) NMSU lost a lot of their offense and will be down this year.
L- @ UTSA (Tough road game for UTEP) The road team has won each of the last 4 games between these teams.
L- @ WKU (WKU should be down, but still better and at home) UTEP will win this game. UTEP only lost by 1 point after missing THREE field goals including a 25 yard one in the last minute of the game last season.

UTEP did have a bunch of injuries last year.
Jayson Van Hook was lost for the season, was freshmen all conference 2016.
Greg Long was lost for the season, received freshmen honors in 2016
UTEP's starting quarterback and top three running backs missed several games.

Those are just the ones I remember. I know there were more but I can't recall all of them.
07-28-2018 09:15 AM
JCMiner Offline
All American

I honestly don’t put much stock into any pre season rankings. Most of the time the teams that finished last are picked to finish last and the teams that finished at the top are picked to finish near the top. Most of the time that’s correct but they are also usually wrong.

I’m just glad we have new leadership at AD and a new HC. The last three football coaches hired at UTEP turned the team from bottom dwellers to bowl team in year two or less. I expect something similar with this hire.
07-28-2018 09:38 AM
Magic95Fan Offline
1st String

I think UTEP will get 3 wins this year. They should win their FCS game and then win one of NMS/UTSA/Rice and then sneak out a win against someone they shouldn't (Hopefully not North Texas).
(This post was last modified: 07-28-2018 09:47 AM by Magic95Fan.)
07-28-2018 09:46 AM
Side Show Joe Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-27-2018 11:41 PM)Project O Wrote:  W- Northern Arizona
L- @ UNLV
L- @ Tennesse
W- New Mexico State
L- @ UTSA
W- North Texas
L- @ LA Tech
W- UAB
L- @ Rice
W- Middle Tennessee
L- @ WKU
W- Southern Miss

6-6 after 0-12 season.......not to shabby

So, you really think UTEP goes undefeated at home this season? Dimel will become a very in demand coach if he can pull that off.
07-28-2018 11:01 AM
Side Show Joe Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-28-2018 08:17 AM)ODU AGGIE Wrote:  Joe, I laid out a spread sheet to project wins and losses for Banker's Stock Contest. So I will use my "analysis" to compare our projections as you present each team. For UTEP, we are pretty darn close, but I was able to find even one more loss than you did. Here's how I see it.

L- New Mexico State (State is POed after losing to NM and takes it our on UTEP)

Sounds great.

I agree NMSU will be motivated after losing their rivalry game to New Mexico, but I think they will be banged up when they face off in El Paso. Rivalry games tend to lead to injuries. UTEP will be coming in off a game at Tennessee, which should be over early. I can't see Dimel leaving his starters out their to take excessive punishment. Better to save them for the conference schedule games, and rivalry games like NMSU.

I totally agree on UAB. Our game in Birmingham has me very concerned, and is the road game I circled on our schedule as the key divisional game for North Texas.
(This post was last modified: 07-28-2018 11:10 AM by Side Show Joe.)
07-28-2018 11:08 AM
Advertisement

HerdZoned Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Herd

Folding@NCAAbbsCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
I don't trust UTEP in football, except for a few years under Price and Kuglar's 2nd year UTEP football has been nothing but an utter disaster for the most part. Since 1980 UTEP has had exactly 5 winning seasons: 1988, 2000, 2004, 2005 and 2014. I could even take it one step beyond that and say that UTEP has had 5 winning seasons since Ive been on this earth, and I was born in Dec 1971.

If I was a betting man I would say 1-2 wins at the most. And Northern Arizona isn't a given.
07-28-2018 11:21 AM
Side Show Joe Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-28-2018 11:21 AM)HerdZoned Wrote:  I don't trust UTEP in football, except for a few years under Price and Kuglar's 2nd year UTEP football has been nothing but an utter disaster for the most part. Since 1980 UTEP has had exactly 5 winning seasons: 1988, 2000, 2004, 2005 and 2014. I could even take it one step beyond that and say that UTEP has had 5 winning seasons since Ive been on this earth, and I was born in Dec 1971.

If I was a betting man I would say 1-2 wins at the most. And Northern Arizona isn't a given.

Wow! I didn't realize UTEP has been that bad for that long.

I agree about Northern Arizona, but it will be hard for them to game plan for a UTEP team that there is no tape on. They can't really prepare for what Dimel will put on the field on opening day, and UTEP should have more talent.
07-28-2018 03:32 PM
HerdZoned Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Herd

Folding@NCAAbbsCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(07-28-2018 03:32 PM)Side Show Joe Wrote:  Wow! I didn't realize UTEP has been that bad for that long.

I agree about Northern Arizona, but it will be hard for them to game plan for a UTEP team that there is no tape on. They can't really prepare for what Dimel will put on the field on opening day, and UTEP should have more talent.

UTEP Football Record By Year

Before 2004 and 2005 winning seasons of 8-4, you have to go all the way back to 1965, 1966 and 1967 to find a team that had winning back to back seasons.

Also Northern Arizona was picked by the media and coaches 3rd in the Big Sky only behind Eastern Washington and Weber State. Most years 3rd in the Big Sky is all most assured a playoff spot and sometimes a 1st round home game.
07-28-2018 05:28 PM
ghostofclt Offline
1st String

I Root For: Charlotte
clt says this conference is too spread out
07-28-2018 08:07 PM
OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

I Root For: Rice

The Parliament AwardsNew Orleans BowlFootball GeniusCrappiesDonatorsDonators
(07-28-2018 08:07 PM)ghostofclt Wrote:  clt says this conference is too spread out

Everybody needs to move closer to El Paso.
07-28-2018 08:29 PM
Advertisement

JCMiner Offline
All American

(07-28-2018 03:32 PM)Side Show Joe Wrote:  
(07-28-2018 11:21 AM)HerdZoned Wrote:  I don't trust UTEP in football, except for a few years under Price and Kuglar's 2nd year UTEP football has been nothing but an utter disaster for the most part. Since 1980 UTEP has had exactly 5 winning seasons: 1988, 2000, 2004, 2005 and 2014. I could even take it one step beyond that and say that UTEP has had 5 winning seasons since Ive been on this earth, and I was born in Dec 1971.

Welp prior to your new AD and HC we had the same amount of winning seasons as you guys did since 1980.
07-28-2018 09:11 PM
Side Show Joe Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-28-2018 09:11 PM)JCMiner Wrote:  

Welp prior to your new AD and HC we had the same amount of winning seasons as you guys did since 1980.

Well that is very selective of you.

Without counting our winning seasons from our exile to D-IAA (1982-1994), we have 6 winning season. So, North Texas has produced 6 winning seasons in their last 24 FBS/D-IA seasons. While UTEP has 5 in their last 37. Neither is good, but I was surprised that UTEP has been that bad.
07-28-2018 09:29 PM
Side Show Joe Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-28-2018 08:07 PM)ghostofclt Wrote:  clt says this conference is too spread out

I have a thought about that issue and will create a thread to see where you all stand.
07-28-2018 09:34 PM
JCMiner Offline
All American

(07-28-2018 09:29 PM)Side Show Joe Wrote:  
(07-28-2018 09:11 PM)JCMiner Wrote:  

Well that is very selective of you.

Without counting our winning seasons from our exile to D-IAA (1982-1994), we have 6 winning season. So, North Texas has produced 6 winning seasons in their last 24 FBS/D-IA seasons. While UTEP has 5 in their last 37. Neither is good, but I was surprised that UTEP has been that bad.
Herd Zone picked the starting point of 1980 I simply went with it. All I’m trying to say is that under the right leadership and correct coaching hire a team can go from rags to riches fairly quick in this league. Did you guys think after getting blown out by that FCS school at home that you would be playing for a conference championship two years later?
07-28-2018 09:38 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.