Swofford reveals potential ACC Network programming
GTFletch Offline
All American

I Root For: Georgia Tech
Swofford reveals potential ACC Network programming
Link
http://www.dailypress.com/sports/dp-spt-...story.html

from the ACC Kickoff/Media Days:

Next year’s launch of the ACC Network figures to change those scheduling norms. Commissioner John Swofford revealed those programming details, and more, during a one-on-one interview Wednesday afternoon. Swofford also addressed ACC Network distribution, financial projections and the revenue gap his member schools are fighting against their Power Five peers.

Swofford cemented Wednesday that the ACC will stage multiple league games to start next football season. He didn’t reveal matchups, but based on non-conference contracts already in place, the most likely candidates are Virginia Tech at Boston College, Georgia Tech at Clemson and Pittsburgh versus Syracuse or Virginia.

Most notably, Swofford said the ACC is seriously considering playing seven conference men’s basketball games, spread over multiple days, to start the 2019-20 season. One of the league’s 15 teams would have a bye, perhaps Duke — which, along with Kentucky, Kansas and Michigan State, competes in November’s annual Champions Classic.

“This is our approach to closing that gap,” Swofford said. “The SEC Network was probably an anomaly in the sense it got to its max very quickly, unlike the Big Ten Network and certainly unlike the Pac-12 Networks. And we’ve based our (revenue) projections very realistically and conservatively.”

Naturally, Swofford declines to share projections.

“Obviously the sooner the better,” he said of closing the gap, “and that’s based on distribution. Distribution’s often based on content, so we need to have the best content generally speaking that we can have on the ACC channel. And that’s how both ESPN and the ACC maximize the business proposition.”

Like the SEC, the ACC will have the power of ESPN’s parent company, Disney, to leverage cable providers into carrying its network. If a cable outfit balks at the ACC Network, Disney can withhold Disney Junior.

“I don’t think anybody can (leverage) better than Disney and ESPN,” Swofford said. “That’s a tough world … and a lot of times things go right down to the midnight hour, and it did even with the SEC Network.”
(This post was last modified: 07-18-2018 10:11 PM by GTFletch.)
07-18-2018 10:09 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CollegeCard Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UofL
RE: Swofford reveals potential ACC Network programming
(07-18-2018 10:09 PM)GTFletch Wrote:  Most notably, Swofford said the ACC is seriously considering playing seven conference men’s basketball games, spread over multiple days, to start the 2019-20 season.

Opening the basketball season in early November with league games? Beyond idiotic.
07-19-2018 09:12 AM
Hokie Mark Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(07-19-2018 09:12 AM)CollegeCard Wrote:  
(07-18-2018 10:09 PM)GTFletch Wrote:  Most notably, Swofford said the ACC is seriously considering playing seven conference men’s basketball games, spread over multiple days, to start the 2019-20 season.

Opening the basketball season in early November with league games? Beyond idiotic.

Why? I think it's only going to be one game per team, followed by non-conference. Many ACC teams already play one or more conference games before New Year's anyway... I don't see this as a huge change, tbh.
07-19-2018 09:48 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: Syracuse

Donators

I can name 6 of those teams that would be involved:
Louisville, Syracuse, UNC, ND, Duke and Virginia.

I would be shocked if any one of those teams would be excluded.
07-19-2018 09:49 AM
green Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Miami
07-19-2018 10:30 AM
Hokie Mark Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(07-19-2018 10:30 AM)green Wrote:  

https://twitter.com/PghSportsNow/status/...2769792001

TAKE HEART

Sponsored by"Weed Man"? That's a little scary!
07-19-2018 11:13 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CollegeCard Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-19-2018 09:48 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  

Why? I think it's only going to be one game per team, followed by non-conference. Many ACC teams already play one or more conference games before New Year's anyway... I don't see this as a huge change, tbh.

There have been a handful of December conference games recently I believe. I want to say Duke lost to BC last season in Dec. However, they have been limited.

My understanding is that the league is moving to a few Dec. conference games per team once we went to 20 league games, and that is likely a necessity calendar wise. By December however, everyone will have played at least 5-7 games. With basketball, teams can be quite a bit different by that point and I don't see any reason (outside of $$) that you'd open the season with conference games. I bet the coaches would nearly all be against it, but they will be ignored.
07-19-2018 12:26 PM
Hallcity Offline
1st String

I Root For: Duke
(07-19-2018 09:49 AM)cuseroc Wrote:  

I don't know about that. Duke's got a good argument for being excluded. Duke's early season schedule is always extremely difficult. Every year, they play either Kentucky, Kansas or Michigan State around Veteran's Day, then they play in a tough Thanksgiving tournament such as the Maui Invitational and then they play one of the top teams in the ACC-B1G, not to mention usually playing another major team in MSG.

UNC plays a similar schedule and also has a good argument. These are the flagship programs. Let the big dogs eat -- especially since they needs those neutral site games to support the heavy expenses they incur running blue blood programs.
07-19-2018 12:49 PM
green Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Miami
(07-19-2018 12:49 PM)Hallcity Wrote:  heavy expenses they incur running blue blood programs.

the network logo awash in blue devil ...

MUST BE ROUGH
07-19-2018 01:07 PM
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

Donators
(07-19-2018 12:49 PM)Hallcity Wrote:  

I don't know about that. Duke's got a good argument for being excluded. Duke's early season schedule is always extremely difficult. Every year, they play either Kentucky, Kansas or Michigan State around Veteran's Day, then they play in a tough Thanksgiving tournament such as the Maui Invitational and then they play one of the top teams in the ACC-B1G, not to mention usually playing another major team in MSG.

UNC plays a similar schedule and also has a good argument. These are the flagship programs. Let the big dogs eat -- especially since they needs those neutral site games to support the heavy expenses they incur running blue blood programs.

Syracuse also plays a tough early season ooc schedule, including the likes Georgetown, Uconn and Villanova as well as, and also play in tournies and the better teams in the ACC/BIG Challenge. I dont believe that it costs anmore $$ to run a blue blood program than it does to run a program like Syracuse. In fact, I pretty sure that both SU and Louisville bb brings in more revenue than UNC and Duke. Louisville also plays a tough early ooc schedule, including the likes of Kentucky. If the ACCN wants to make a splash by having some intriguing matchups, do you really think they will exclude the "big dogs" from such a splash?
07-19-2018 04:40 PM
Hallcity Offline
1st String

I Root For: Duke
(07-19-2018 04:40 PM)cuseroc Wrote:  

Syracuse also plays a tough early season ooc schedule, including the likes Georgetown, Uconn and Villanova as well as, and also play in tournies and the better teams in the ACC/BIG Challenge. I dont believe that it costs anmore $$ to run a blue blood program than it does to run a program like Syracuse. In fact, I pretty sure that both SU and Louisville bb brings in more revenue than UNC and Duke. Louisville also plays a tough early ooc schedule, including the likes of Kentucky. If the ACCN wants to make a splash by having some intriguing matchups, do you really think they will exclude the "big dogs" from such a splash?

Salaries for the Duke coaches are stratospheric. Coach K is probably making over $10 million a year. I'm pretty sure we've got assistant coaches making over $1 million per year. There are plenty of other differences even with very high level programs like Syracuse and Louisville. You think Louisville and Syracuse BB income compares to Duke's basketball income? You have to make a donation of at least $6,000 in order to buy season tickets and the season tickets are something like $1,400 each at Duke. Syracuse can sell far more tickets and still derive far less income because it's not getting anything like the same effective price for each ticket. Also, Duke plays lots of neutral site games and gets virtually all the TV revenues from them and that's a big deal because Duke draws the biggest TV audiences in college BB by a wide margin.
07-19-2018 06:45 PM
Advertisement

Statefan Offline
Banned

I Root For: .
Well, what this highlights is that the ACC network is Basketball Centric as the main leg of a three legged stool with Football and ND sports as the two other legs.
07-19-2018 07:14 PM
Wolfman Offline
All American

I Root For: The Cartel
I'd be concerned if they were proposing this as a permanent change. This sounds like a one-time thing to promote the launch of the ACCN.
07-19-2018 07:40 PM
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

Donators
(07-19-2018 06:45 PM)Hallcity Wrote:  
(07-19-2018 04:40 PM)cuseroc Wrote:  
(07-19-2018 09:12 AM)CollegeCard Wrote:  Opening the basketball season in early November with league games? Beyond idiotic.

Salaries for the Duke coaches are stratospheric. Coach K is probably making over $10 million a year. I'm pretty sure we've got assistant coaches making over $1 million per year. There are plenty of other differences even with very high level programs like Syracuse and Louisville. You think Louisville and Syracuse BB income compares to Duke's basketball income? You have to make a donation of at least $6,000 in order to buy season tickets and the season tickets are something like $1,400 each at Duke. Syracuse can sell far more tickets and still derive far less income because it's not getting anything like the same effective price for each ticket. Also, Duke plays lots of neutral site games and gets virtually all the TV revenues from them and that's a big deal because Duke draws the biggest TV audiences in college BB by a wide margin.

YES! Although I was wrong about SU being ahead of Duke, SU is ahead of every single other blue blood program in producing bb revenue. According to a 3 year average Louisville is #1 in revenue by a very wide margin. Apparently, Duke is not the only program that gets huge donations for season tickets. Then comes Duke. Then comes Syracuse. Those are the top NCAA basketball revenue producers. The ACC has number one, two and three in the top spot in the country. This info also shows the 3 year average as well.

Top NCAA Basketball Revenue Producers
07-19-2018 08:43 PM
Statefan Offline
Banned

Isn't part of Louisville's income due to the sweetheart deal with the YUM center?

On second look, those numbers can't be accurate. For instance the donation number for NC State is all donations, not basketball only. Therefore is stands to reason the rest of them include football donations.

Turns out the article was written by an intern: http://www.businessinsider.com/author/brandon-wiggins

Just take a look at his picture. 03-lmfao
(This post was last modified: 07-19-2018 08:55 PM by Statefan.)
07-19-2018 08:47 PM
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry

LOL Got to love the hypocrisy displayed in this thread.

One of two water carriers in football has to forgo one of the two interesting home conference games they get every two years to promote the network but it's too much to ask the two water carriers to sacrifice something in the early season of basketball.
07-19-2018 08:51 PM
Advertisement

Statefan Offline
Banned

https://www.scribd.com/document/12281504...hite-Paper

This is an article about the YUM Center, and about a year ago the University had to agree to kick in almost 3 million a year to keep the lights on at the arena the revenue split is so one sided. Until someone can really prove that someone makes more money than Duke in basketball, I will remain unconvinced. The true cost of a Duke Basketball ticket is about $220 per. They sell about 7000 seats a year and the rest are for students. Just their ticket sales are going to be $28-30 million a year. Cameron Indoor is a mirror of old Reynolds Coliseum although Reynolds blew out the endzone for more seats. Cameron is fully defeased of any debt and was fully renovated about 20 years making it semi-modern compared to its 1940 design.

I'd have to see actual audited financial to believe that Louisville legitimately makes more off basketball than Duke.
07-19-2018 09:21 PM
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

Donators
(07-19-2018 09:21 PM)Statefan Wrote:  https://www.scribd.com/document/12281504...hite-Paper

This is an article about the YUM Center, and about a year ago the University had to agree to kick in almost 3 million a year to keep the lights on at the arena the revenue split is so one sided. Until someone can really prove that someone makes more money than Duke in basketball, I will remain unconvinced. The true cost of a Duke Basketball ticket is about $220 per. They sell about 7000 seats a year and the rest are for students. Just their ticket sales are going to be $28-30 million a year. Cameron Indoor is a mirror of old Reynolds Coliseum although Reynolds blew out the endzone for more seats. Cameron is fully defeased of any debt and was fully renovated about 20 years making it semi-modern compared to its 1940 design.

I'd have to see actual audited financial to believe that Louisville legitimately makes more off basketball than Duke.

Louisville has long been the top ncaa basketball revenue producer in the country, even before the YUM center. When they were still playing in Freedom Hall they produced more revenue than anyone else, even more than many fb programs. Getting big time donations for season tickets is nothing only unique with Duke. And while the linked study shows that Duke is #2, that is more of a recent development during recent years. In the past a few schools had been in the #2 spot including Syracuse and Kentucky.

The following link has info that was taken from the Dept of education site. Louisville is still #1 by a large margin. Duke is still #2 and Kentucky flip flopped with SU at #3.

Link
(This post was last modified: 07-19-2018 09:44 PM by cuseroc.)
07-19-2018 09:37 PM
CollegeCard Offline
Hall of Famer

Louisville was #1 back when playing in Freedom Hall. Shockingly, NC isn’t the only state where fans pay big bucks to see college basketball no matter where the home team plays. And Louisville can seat more than double what Cameron holds. That’s a massive difference in tickets sold (many with seat licenses) that plays into the revenue, just as it does with SEC football attendance.
07-19-2018 10:22 PM
IHAVETRIED Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Louisville
(07-19-2018 09:21 PM)Statefan Wrote:  https://www.scribd.com/document/12281504...hite-Paper

The true cost of a Louisville MBB ticket is $186.55 per ticket per game.

The revised agreement nearly a year ago was for Louisville to kick in another $2.42M per year.
(This post was last modified: 07-20-2018 11:02 AM by IHAVETRIED.)
07-20-2018 11:01 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.