Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Tribe Tavern - Beer Garden
Bookmark and Share
Tribe1693 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Tribe
Beer Garden in South Endzone for season tickets holders who purchase passes.

http://www.tribeathletics.com/sports/201...avern.aspx
(This post was last modified: 07-18-2018 02:09 PM by Tribe1693.)
07-18-2018 02:08 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

WM Beancounter Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: William & Mary
RE: Tribe Tavern - Beer Garden
If and only if you're a season ticket holder (so you've already paid your PSL-like Tribe Club "donation"), you can pay an additional $75 for the right to buy a limited amount of beer (at unknown prices) during the game. And this, of course, is implemented just a couple of years after the "no re-entry" rule was added, which stopped us from getting a beer at our own tailgates, which are held at our parking spots, which we could only purchase for an additional "donation" to the Tribe Club if we've been purchasing season tickets for a significant number of consecutive seasons.

All of this while watching a team that won ZERO home games last year.

Got it?

Go Tribe.

Can't wait for Paul B to weigh in on this.
(This post was last modified: 07-18-2018 02:31 PM by WM Beancounter.)
07-18-2018 02:26 PM
Tribe1693 Offline
Special Teams

(07-18-2018 02:26 PM)WM Beancounter Wrote:  If and only if you're a season ticket holder (so you've already paid your PSL-like Tribe Club "donation"), you can pay an additional $75 for the right to buy a limited amount of beer (at unknown prices) during the game. And this, of course, is implemented just a couple of years after the "no re-entry" rule was added, which stopped us from getting a beer at our own tailgates, which are held at our parking spots, which we could only purchase for an additional "donation" to the Tribe Club if we've been purchasing season tickets for a significant number of consecutive seasons.

All of this while watching a team that won ZERO home games last year.

Got it?

Go Tribe.

Can't wait for Paul B to weigh in on this.

No dog in this fight whatsoever as I don't live close enough to regularly attend games. However I did purchase tickets this year for my parents who just moved back to Williamsburg. As an fyi, I did not have to pay a PSL-like fee/donation to Tribe Club for season tickets.
07-18-2018 02:40 PM
nj alum Offline
Petulant

I Root For: william & mary
As one who has preached this issue for years:

$15 cover charge per home game, with the right to buy up to 3 beers, including craft options. I presume the purchaser and the beer must stay in the Tavern.

21 and up alumni mingling together in the Tavern, as a supplement to the regular tailgate Crew that folks mingle with.

If this is happening for football, can it be happening for hoops too?????

What is happening at our school? Are we going straight from 1693 to the 21st century in athletics?

For me, the cover charge is more easily paid than the constant pleas for $$$, and it goes to the same place.

I am stunned .... and happily so!!

So...so...refreshing!

Now, about re-entry, we need to keep working on that!

:-)
07-18-2018 03:06 PM
bubbadog57 Offline
1st String

Great move, long awaited. Agree 100% with NJ Alum.

And for those who don't know, Virginia Beer is a highly successful Williamsburg brewery located on Second Street that has wonderful craft beers. We go in there on a Sunday to enjoy the beer, music and food truck
service. It is owned by two W&M grads from '01 and '04. Last Homecoming they served in the huge Sunken Garden tent set up for the pre-game luncheon and one of their special brews for the day was Green & Gold IPA!

Worth the money.
07-18-2018 03:16 PM
nj alum Offline
Petulant

BTW ... Purdue's beer garden is also in their South End Zone.

:-)
(This post was last modified: 07-18-2018 03:27 PM by nj alum.)
07-18-2018 03:27 PM
Advertisement

Tribal Online

Meh, buy a $15 GA ticket and use that ticket to regain entrance after halftime. < $100 for the season. Big deal.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
07-18-2018 04:45 PM
TribeNomad Offline
1st String

I Root For: W&M Tribe
Glad to see this. We need to shake it up and do/offer new things that have a chance to drum up interest in turnout.
07-18-2018 05:00 PM
NC Tribe Offline
1st String

I Root For: W&M, JMU
For many schools, the beer garden idea is just the first step. Next they have to decide if the entry fee generates enough income, or should they go stadium wide with alcohol sales. Wake Forest followed this path and now has alcohol stadium wide.
07-19-2018 10:23 AM
TDenverFan Offline
All American

Its a start. Obviously not a perfect implementation, but if you'd asked me last week if there'd be any beer for sale in Zable this season I'd have given it no shot. Good way to get our foot in the door
07-19-2018 11:53 AM
TribePride91 Offline
All American

I Root For: W&M Tribe
(07-19-2018 10:23 AM)NC Tribe Wrote:  For many schools, the beer garden idea is just the first step. Next they have to decide if the entry fee generates enough income, or should they go stadium wide with alcohol sales. Wake Forest followed this path and now has alcohol stadium wide.

Given the quality of play on the field last year, there might not have been a single sober fan in Winston Salem.

Fans have plenty of places where they can drink if they want to at their tailgate or at any number of nearby venues to the stadium. I don't think it will have any real bearing on overall attendance to the games. It might make the games more enjoyable for a few people that attend. With young kids and my family coming, we will not be drinking. But, I have no problem with fans having access to do it and the practice supporting a business run by alums.
07-19-2018 02:55 PM
Advertisement

Zorch Offline
All American

I Root For: W&M
(07-18-2018 05:00 PM)TribeNomad Wrote:  Glad to see this. We need to shake it up and do/offer new things that have a chance to drum up interest in turnout.

I am of the opinion that the best-most sure fire-never fails way to drum up interest in turnout is to field a winning football team.........
07-21-2018 09:03 AM
Tribe32 Offline
All American

Part of me agrees with you, and part of me doesn't.

I'll give an example that many on these boards may relate to......Minor League baseball teams. These teams are by design different year to year and sometimes win and sometimes lose, but the reason that people go to the games is all about fan and game experience. I think the more we make the experience better the more chance we have to get first time fans to the games. Once we get them, I hope we can keep them. Same thing for hoops.

(07-21-2018 09:03 AM)Zorch Wrote:  
(07-18-2018 05:00 PM)TribeNomad Wrote:  Glad to see this. We need to shake it up and do/offer new things that have a chance to drum up interest in turnout.

I am of the opinion that the best-most sure fire-never fails way to drum up interest in turnout is to field a winning football team.........
07-21-2018 09:17 AM
NC Tribe Offline
1st String

I Root For: W&M, JMU
(07-21-2018 09:17 AM)Tribe32 Wrote:  Part of me agrees with you, and part of me doesn't.

I'll give an example that many on these boards may relate to......Minor League baseball teams. These teams are by design different year to year and sometimes win and sometimes lose, but the reason that people go to the games is all about fan and game experience. I think the more we make the experience better the more chance we have to get first time fans to the games. Once we get them, I hope we can keep them. Same thing for hoops.

(07-21-2018 09:03 AM)Zorch Wrote:  

I agree on the fan and game experience part for people who aren't fans of the sport per se, but I go to sporting events because I love the competition, excitement and
the uncertainty of how it will all end. My teams certainly don't have to win all the time, but they better be competitive. One of the nice things about baseball is that the pitching match-ups can make each game different from the next.

When I go to a game, I want my team to win, but if they don't, I just want the game to be competitive. For baseball, I have implemented my own slaughter rule and leave if my team is down by 10 runs. I have enjoyed the long seasons better that way.
07-22-2018 06:17 AM
SoCal Frank Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Wm and Mary
These are expensive brews.
07-22-2018 12:51 PM
nj alum Offline
Petulant

Cough ... cough ...

Don't buy a pass if you're not so inclined, but this nit-picking of a "thinking outside of the box" idea, before the first game, is ludicrous, IMO.

It reminds me of federal attempts to pass legislation ... 80% isn't good enough .... 90% isn't good enough ... It has to be 100% perfect or it won't be supported.

Anyway, I will buy a pass and have my halftime beer (instead of watching dogs and frisbees), and y'all are welcome to come by, and I'll give you my pass for the right to purchase the two remaining beers.
07-22-2018 01:32 PM
Advertisement

bubbadog57 Offline
1st String

Predict the Beer Garden will be very successful. About time we get with the times and the Va Beer guys are perfect: they have great craft beers.

I do not know, but my guess this innovation came directly from Samantha's office.
07-22-2018 03:33 PM
Tribe3455 Offline
Special Teams

A new addition to the fan experience. Alums making and selling the beer. All the while encouraging season ticket sales. Love it.
07-22-2018 05:08 PM
nogretheogre Offline
Lord of Bots & Tots

Maybe Ms Huge listened to this board's survey results
( https://csnbbs.com/thread-837138.html )

This is certainly a "foot-in-the-door" approach. I imagine this setup for 3-5 years and hopefully extending the sales to allow either the stadium as a whole or at a minimum, setting up two smaller beer gardens in the new stadium, mid-level lateral edges (lots of room up there unused with good views of the game). They have to prove that alcohol within the stadium will not create an atmosphere that our geriatric donors find offensive. The best way to do that is to heavily constrain its availability. They dont have to make any money off of it and would probably tolerate serving at a loss at this stage...its all about longterm vision and fan experience. Bottom line, if you want to support alcohol in the stands in any capacity, its probably worth the fee (donation).
07-23-2018 07:29 AM
SoCal Frank Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Wm and Mary
I agree completely. It’s such a beautiful environment. Why not take advantage of it? Also, with the disruption of the team entering and leaving the field, maximizing the south end, free of the disruption, makes perfect sense. Not being a beer drinker or a geriatric donor, I’m all in for the fans to have fun.
07-24-2018 08:15 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.