Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Dodds: Baylor "Worried" About Big 12 Membership
GoldenWarrior11 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marquette, BE
Dodds: Baylor "Worried" About Big 12 Membership
https://www.cbssports.com/college-footba...-unfolded/

I mean, I can't say I'm surprised. I don't think there will be any further official penalties beyond the docking of future revenue. However, if the Big 12 were to break apart, my guess is that Baylor would find itself on the outside looking in.
07-16-2018 09:24 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
RE: Dodds: Baylor "Worried" About Big 12 Membership
Where's the 25% revenue being docked going right now? Is that going to B12 coffers, being spread amongst the other 9 programs or is it being held in abeyance to be given back to Baylor once the "investigation" is concluded?

Would not be surprised if the Big 12 just decides to keep the 25% tax on Baylor for the indefinite future. More money for the other 9 teams.
07-16-2018 09:33 AM
Pony94 Offline

I Root For: SMU
(07-16-2018 09:33 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  Where's the 25% revenue being docked going right now? Is that going to B12 coffers, being spread amongst the other 9 programs or is it being held in abeyance to be given back to Baylor once the "investigation" is concluded?

Would not be surprised if the Big 12 just decides to keep the 25% tax on Baylor for the indefinite future. More money for the other 9 teams.

I saw somewhere that the conference is holding onto it and Baylor can get it back once they comply

@ChuckCarltonDMN
2m2 minutes ago
More
Bowlsby said he won't get into specifics about Baylor sexual assault scandal. Praises current leadership including AD Mack Rhoades and football coach Matt Rhule, says Big 12 continuing verification of Baylor reforms from Pepper Hamilton report
07-16-2018 09:53 AM
BePcr07 Offline
All American

I Root For: Boise St & Zags
Even without the cloud over Baylor, other schools just seem like better long-term options. Houston, Memphis, Cincinnati, Connecticut, Central Florida, South Florida, and maybe a few others. Baylor has good academics but: Waco is not an easy destination to reach, Baylor is clearly not better than #5 athletic school in Texas (perhaps #6), and I t was included by essential force in the original XII. I’m not against Baylor, I’m just not for Baylor. When the XII implodes, Baylor will be a new member of either the American or Mountain West or some Frankenstein XII that is focused on the Central Time Zone.
07-16-2018 09:53 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(07-16-2018 09:24 AM)GoldenWarrior11 Wrote:  https://www.cbssports.com/college-footba...-unfolded/

I mean, I can't say I'm surprised. I don't think there will be any further official penalties beyond the docking of future revenue. However, if the Big 12 were to break apart, my guess is that Baylor would find itself on the outside looking in.

Dodds likes to troll the Big 12.
07-16-2018 10:08 AM
The Cutter of Bish Offline
Heisman

I Root For: the little guy
This is the one school out there that, even if the worst was true, and the report couldn't be verified, Baylor would sue the conference to a point where it would just let be easier to let the current agreement lapse.

From what's out there in the GoR and bylaws, there's a lot of missing spots, and, I think this kind of expulsion measure isn't even covered. Baylor would have every right to sue for breach...and unless there are MoA's or some other attachment that was annexed to the agreements, Baylor could probably win those fights.

The "noble" thing would be for Baylor to bow out were the conference to find substantial and still-present issues, but, yeah, right.
07-16-2018 10:10 AM
Advertisement

RutgersGuy Offline
All American

I Root For: Rutgers
(07-16-2018 10:08 AM)bullet Wrote:  
(07-16-2018 09:24 AM)GoldenWarrior11 Wrote:  https://www.cbssports.com/college-footba...-unfolded/

So you don't think Baylor was worried about their status as a member of the Big XII when all of that was breaking?
07-16-2018 10:47 AM
Tigersmoke4 Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis
(07-16-2018 10:47 AM)RutgersGuy Wrote:  

So you don't think Baylor was worried about their status as a member of the Big XII when all of that was breaking?

I honestly think that Baylor truly believe that they are a goner if the big12 breaks up at the end of their current deal. I think that they know that the big12 remnants would instantly rebuild with the best of the AAC while kicking them out to make room for say an outlier like UCONN while adding Houston Memphis, UCF,USF. Cincy, and Temple. UCONN AND TEMPLE would help WVU fit better while allowing creating a very potent basketball side by adding UCONN
07-16-2018 11:12 AM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
(07-16-2018 11:12 AM)Tigersmoke4 Wrote:  

I honestly think that Baylor truly believe that they are a goner if the big12 breaks up at the end of their current deal. I think that they know that the big12 remnants would instantly rebuild with the best of the AAC while kicking them out to make room for say an outlier like UCONN while adding Houston Memphis, UCF,USF. Cincy, and Temple. UCONN AND TEMPLE would help WVU fit better while allowing creating a very potent basketball side by adding UCONN

A lot of this would depend on exactly who the Big 12 remnants are. At this point, we really don't know who would leave and who would stay. If the remaining teams elect to continue as a rebuilt Big 12, they would be faced with the same options as the current B12 regarding how to treat Baylor. If the bylaws don't allow for expulsion now, they won't in the future either.

And if you look at the universe of schools available with which to rebuild, even a weakened Baylor is a better choice than many of the others.

And, if West Virginia finds a new P5/P4 home, the B12 remnants may not feel a need to add northeatern teams when there are southern and western teams available to them.

This situation has way too many unanswered questions to speculate on what some unknown schools may choose to do.
(This post was last modified: 07-16-2018 12:08 PM by ken d.)
07-16-2018 11:39 AM
templefootballfan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TU & BGSU & TEX
History says they have nothing to worry about
07-16-2018 11:43 AM
The Cutter of Bish Offline
Heisman

I Root For: the little guy
Baylor's probably going to sue everyone anyway if the conference breaks apart, or its major parts, like Texas and Oklahoma, or any group of schools moving as a bloc.

Yeah, it's easy to worry. But I doubt they just "take it." They'll just sue. It's the only way they get anything they really want out something.
07-16-2018 11:45 AM
Advertisement

RutgersGuy Offline
All American

(07-16-2018 11:43 AM)templefootballfan Wrote:  History says they have nothing to worry about

[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=7731154]
07-16-2018 08:09 PM
RutgersGuy Offline
All American

(07-16-2018 11:45 AM)The Cutter of Bish Wrote:  Baylor's probably going to sue everyone anyway if the conference breaks apart, or its major parts, like Texas and Oklahoma, or any group of schools moving as a bloc.

Yeah, it's easy to worry. But I doubt they just "take it." They'll just sue. It's the only way they get anything they really want out something.

Thats why their secondary mascot is the Fightin' Ken Starrs!

[Image: starr.jpg]
07-16-2018 08:11 PM
Statefan Offline
Banned

I Root For: .
(07-16-2018 11:39 AM)ken d Wrote:  
(07-16-2018 11:12 AM)Tigersmoke4 Wrote:  

A lot of this would depend on exactly who the Big 12 remnants are. At this point, we really don't know who would leave and who would stay. If the remaining teams elect to continue as a rebuilt Big 12, they would be faced with the same options as the current B12 regarding how to treat Baylor. If the bylaws don't allow for expulsion now, they won't in the future either.

And if you look at the universe of schools available with which to rebuild, even a weakened Baylor is a better choice than many of the others.

And, if West Virginia finds a new P5/P4 home, the B12 remnants may not feel a need to add northeatern teams when there are southern and western teams available to them.

This situation has way too many unanswered questions to speculate on what some unknown schools may choose to do.

Expulsion usually takes a 3/4ths vote. With a 3/4ths you can suspend the rules or change the rules to address any situation. So unless the bylaws specifically address expulsion then expulsion is allowed based on whatever vote it takes to make new rules or amend the charter.

As I read the B12 Charter, http://www.big12sports.com/fls/10410/pdf...Bylaws.pdf it takes 75% of 9 to vote Baylor out. Baylor does not get a vote because they are an interested party. I take that to be 7 of 9. If Baylor is given their vote then it becomes 8 of 10.

Big 10 sets that threshold at 70% or 10 of 14. https://www.thegazette.com/2012/07/19/bi...state-poll

You would need to draw 12 votes to get kicked out the ACC.

These are all very high bars.

The Pacific Coast Conference - precursor to the Pac 8/10/12, dissolved in the late 1950's in response to cheating at UCLA and other schools that Stanford would not abide. In the case of the B12 it might be legally easier to vote to disband than to vote a school out. Then when you reform you reform without the schools in question.

This is what Maryland, Duke, and Clemson did with the Southern Conference/ACC rather than attempt to vote West Va, VT, and some of the smaller schools out of the SoCon.
(This post was last modified: 07-16-2018 09:54 PM by Statefan.)
07-16-2018 09:38 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

Short of another scandal on the same scale in the next 5 years, there isn't a snowball's chance in hell that Baylor gets expelled. And even then its unlikely.

Getting left behind in realignment has always been a risk for them. But that is a totally different issue.
07-16-2018 09:49 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

The odds of Texas state schools voting to expel Baylor are less than zero. The presidents are not political novices. TCU would be highly improbably as well. So that's 3 rock solid no votes.
07-16-2018 09:50 PM
Advertisement

Statefan Offline
Banned

I Root For: .
(07-16-2018 09:50 PM)bullet Wrote:  The odds of Texas state schools voting to expel Baylor are less than zero. The presidents are not political novices. TCU would be highly improbably as well. So that's 3 rock solid no votes.

Which is why if the stink gets too big, the conference dissolves rather than forcing a vote to oust Baylor.

And UT will blame OU. 04-cheers
(This post was last modified: 07-16-2018 09:57 PM by Statefan.)
07-16-2018 09:55 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(07-16-2018 09:55 PM)Statefan Wrote:  
(07-16-2018 09:50 PM)bullet Wrote:  The odds of Texas state schools voting to expel Baylor are less than zero. The presidents are not political novices. TCU would be highly improbably as well. So that's 3 rock solid no votes.

Which is why if the stink gets too big, the conference dissolves rather than forcing a vote to oust Baylor.

And UT will blame OU. 04-cheers

They can't. Some might take that chance to bolt.
07-16-2018 10:02 PM
Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
Texas or Oklahoma could have their president or head football coach murder someone during a prime time ESPN game and the Big 12 office wouldn't so much as give them a stern talking to.
07-17-2018 05:29 PM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

I Root For: Houston, PVAMU
(07-16-2018 09:53 AM)BePcr07 Wrote:  Even without the cloud over Baylor, other schools just seem like better long-term options. Houston, Memphis, Cincinnati, Connecticut, Central Florida, South Florida, and maybe a few others. Baylor has good academics but: Waco is not an easy destination to reach, Baylor is clearly not better than #5 athletic school in Texas (perhaps #6), and I t was included by essential force in the original XII. I’m not against Baylor, I’m just not for Baylor. When the XII implodes, Baylor will be a new member of either the American or Mountain West or some Frankenstein XII that is focused on the Central Time Zone.

How is Waco hard to reach? It's a short bus ride away from Dallas and to a lesser extent, Austin and Houston.
07-17-2018 10:15 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.