Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Former Mizzou AD Mike Alden to advise UMKC athletics
Bookmark and Share
Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: tOSU SJSU Stan'
Former Mizzou AD Mike Alden to advise UMKC athletics
Interesting. Situation doesn't sound good.

UMKC Chancellor C. Mauli Agrawal "It is vital that UMKC Athletics, as part of NCAA’s Division I, generate more revenue in coming years to help the university meet the fiscal challenges that face us I have tasked Athletics with developing plans over the next four months for revenue generation,fundraising opportunities, marketing and increased strategic communication/public awareness. It is imperative that we increase support and awareness of UMKC Athletics."

In 2016, 72 percent of UMKC’s $14.7 million athletic budget was subsidized by the university and cheerleading was eliminated.

Earlier this month, Carla Wilson was reassigned from athletic director to a position in the chancellor’s office. Ursula Gurney was named interim AD, and Agrawal said “once we have a working blueprint for the future we will be ready to search for our next athletic director.”

https://www.kansascity.com/sports/colleg...14100.html
07-12-2018 12:37 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

SoCalBobcat78 Offline
All American

I Root For: TXST, UCLA, CBU
RE: Former Mizzou AD Mike Alden to advise UMKC athletics
(07-12-2018 12:37 PM)Stugray2 Wrote:  Interesting. Situation doesn't sound good.

UMKC Chancellor C. Mauli Agrawal "It is vital that UMKC Athletics, as part of NCAA’s Division I, generate more revenue in coming years to help the university meet the fiscal challenges that face us I have tasked Athletics with developing plans over the next four months for revenue generation,fundraising opportunities, marketing and increased strategic communication/public awareness. It is imperative that we increase support and awareness of UMKC Athletics."

In 2016, 72 percent of UMKC’s $14.7 million athletic budget was subsidized by the university and cheerleading was eliminated.

Earlier this month, Carla Wilson was reassigned from athletic director to a position in the chancellor’s office. Ursula Gurney was named interim AD, and Agrawal said “once we have a working blueprint for the future we will be ready to search for our next athletic director.”

https://www.kansascity.com/sports/colleg...14100.html

This is good news for UMKC. Carla Wilson was in over her head. Whatever UMKC does in the future regarding athletics, they need someone with experience to guide the program.
07-12-2018 01:50 PM
RoosHouse Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UMKC
Mike Alden is very good at Athletic Finances and somehow got Mizzou into the SEC. This is what the program needs.
07-12-2018 04:14 PM
Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: tOSU SJSU Stan'
The big issue is fund raising. Last year's numbers from USA Today

Tickets: $94,752
Donations: $974,533
School Funds: $10,216,438

That is a $10 to $1 ratio of direct support for every dollar in gate + donations. They want to dramatically reduce the transfers and get donations perhaps doubled, and gate at least five-fold increase to make a dent in that. It sounds like Agrawal is feeling pressure from the State and the Board of Trustees to get some results quickly.

They really need Alden to be more than an advisor, they need him to take on the AD role and be the chief fundraiser and ticket salesman. It's a tough sell being that everyone and their brother is either a Mizzou or KU fan, if they have dollars and time after the Royals and Chiefs. Hopefully this advisor role is Agrawal's way to try and sell him the job. (I do like Agrawal's actions so far)
07-12-2018 11:37 PM
IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
Best news UMKC could’ve gotten. Even if he’s not the figurehead, he’ll be pulling the (purse)strings.
07-12-2018 11:50 PM
RunnerBall Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: CSUB
Not to hijack but rather compliment the thread, this (old, March) article from the KC Star illustrates how the school is struggling with support. I hope the best for them.
https://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-co...69059.html
07-13-2018 12:05 PM
Advertisement

IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
Alden has an impossible task ahead of him if this thread speaks for the fan base as to which league UMKC “belongs”
http://umkcroos.proboards.com/thread/1089/where-belong

03-lmfao
07-29-2018 06:12 AM
gleadley Offline
1st String

I Root For: GCU
(07-29-2018 06:12 AM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  Alden has an impossible task ahead of him if this thread speaks for the fan base as to which league UMKC “belongs”
http://umkcroos.proboards.com/thread/1089/where-belong

03-lmfao

Fun glimpse into Roo fans interacting elsewhere. My favorite was the guy predicting a 20+ win 2018-19 season back in May, before a schedule was even out. That would be a 10+ win improvement over last season. Maybe they will do it eventually, but I have serious doubts that Richardson will be the one to lead them there.
07-29-2018 07:35 AM
dancingNMSUaggie Offline
1st String

I Root For: NMSU
Fun glimpse into Roo fans interacting elsewhere. My favorite was the guy predicting a 20+ win 2018-19 season back in May, before a schedule was even out. That would be a 10+ win improvement over last season. Maybe they will do it eventually, but I have serious doubts that Richardson will be the one to lead them there.
[/quote]

Maybe if Richardson had a OCC schedule like GCUs has had then maybe they could have accomplished it. After all, GCU did.
07-29-2018 09:33 AM
RoosHouse Offline
2nd String

Roos will finish 3rd or 4th this year. Thats a good improvement. Giles > Lever in Wac tournament. Frayer is the player I would watch. Will have more size so harder to foul umkc out of game.
07-29-2018 12:11 PM
gleadley Offline
1st String

(07-29-2018 09:33 AM)dancingNMSUaggie Wrote:  Fun glimpse into Roo fans interacting elsewhere. My favorite was the guy predicting a 20+ win 2018-19 season back in May, before a schedule was even out. That would be a 10+ win improvement over last season. Maybe they will do it eventually, but I have serious doubts that Richardson will be the one to lead them there.

Maybe if Richardson had a OCC schedule like GCUs has had then maybe they could have accomplished it. After all, GCU did.
[/quote]

Richardson's best WAC win total (8) is the same as Majerle's worst. He's only had one winning season (barely, at 18-17) and has an overall head coaching win petcentage below 40%. If you want to talk OOC, we can recap his losses to powerhouses like Incarnate Word, Southeast Missouri St, and DII William Jewell. I know blind hatred for all things GCU is the only lens through which you see the world, but most rational adults can reasonably say that Richardson has underperformed at UMKC.
(This post was last modified: 07-29-2018 05:19 PM by gleadley.)
07-29-2018 05:18 PM
Advertisement

CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
Alden was just at UNM. They cut 4 teams. MBB and FB will no longer stay in hotels before home games. MBB will no longer participate in MTE's.
(This post was last modified: 07-29-2018 06:00 PM by CrimsonPhantom.)
07-29-2018 05:59 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
RoosHouse Offline
2nd String

Kem Pom Non-Con strength of schedule

UMKC: 2018:106 2017: 135 2016:36 2015: 160 2014: 73

GCU: 2018:346 2017:338 2016:315 2015: 333 2014:72

UMKC has had its best record in odd years when it plays easy out of conference schedule. GCU had its only non winning season when it played a similar non-con schedule difficulty to UMKC.

Does that really surprise anyone?
07-29-2018 08:14 PM
gleadley Offline
1st String

(07-29-2018 08:14 PM)RoosHouse Wrote:  Kem Pom Non-Con strength of schedule

UMKC: 2018:106 2017: 135 2016:36 2015: 160 2014: 73

GCU: 2018:346 2017:338 2016:315 2015: 333 2014:72

UMKC has had its best record in odd years when it plays easy out of conference schedule. GCU had its only non winning season when it played a similar non-con schedule difficulty to UMKC.

Does that really surprise anyone?

William.
Jewell.
07-29-2018 08:22 PM
RoosHouse Offline
2nd String

Like SIUE is that much better. Every team has a bad loss at some point. We finished the game vs William Jewell with 4 scholarship players.
07-29-2018 08:42 PM
gleadley Offline
1st String

(07-29-2018 08:42 PM)RoosHouse Wrote:  Like SIUE is that much better. Every team has a bad loss at some point. We finished the game vs William Jewell with 4 scholarship players.

WJ played the entire game with zero D1 scholarship players, soooo...
07-30-2018 01:33 AM
Advertisement

dancingNMSUaggie Offline
1st String

Let's face it, UMKC has sucked and GCUs OCC record has sucked. You can't point out anything about GCU even if its a fact or gleady will cry it's about hatred so other idiot fans will come to his rescue. Facts hurt when it comes to GCU. Some delusional GCU fans like to beat their chest about their record but that OCC strength of schedule speaks for itself. I would have liked to have seen what GCUs record was with UMKCs strength of schedule the last 3 years. I'm sure they would have beat William Jewel. After all, you beat William Jessup at home. That was impressive how you guys were tied with them up until about 4 minutes left in the game.... at home. You making fun of UMKC fans making ridiculous claims is the pot calling the kettle black.

If UMKC ever wants to do something it's all about money and I'm not sure they have the resources to get it going. I think Richardson has shown spurts that he can be a good coach but UMKC needs money, period.
(This post was last modified: 07-30-2018 08:34 AM by dancingNMSUaggie.)
07-30-2018 08:21 AM
gleadley Offline
1st String

(07-30-2018 08:21 AM)dancingNMSUaggie Wrote:  Let's face it, UMKC has sucked and GCUs OCC record has sucked. You can't point out anything about GCU even if its a fact or gleady will cry it's about hatred so other idiot fans will come to his rescue. Facts hurt when it comes to GCU. Some delusional GCU fans like to beat their chest about their record but that OCC strength of schedule speaks for itself. I would have liked to have seen what GCUs record was with UMKCs strength of schedule the last 3 years. I'm sure they would have beat William Jewel. After all, you beat William Jessup at home. That was impressive how you guys were tied with them up until about 4 minutes left in the game.... at home. You making fun of UMKC fans making ridiculous claims is the pot calling the kettle black.

If UMKC ever wants to do something it's all about money and I'm not sure they have the resources to get it going. I think Richardson has shown spurts that he can be a good coach but UMKC needs money, period.

Don't hurt yourself flexing those keyboard muscles.
07-30-2018 11:05 PM
dancingNMSUaggie Offline
1st String

(07-30-2018 11:05 PM)gleadley Wrote:  
(07-30-2018 08:21 AM)dancingNMSUaggie Wrote:  Let's face it, UMKC has sucked and GCUs OCC record has sucked. You can't point out anything about GCU even if its a fact or gleady will cry it's about hatred so other idiot fans will come to his rescue. Facts hurt when it comes to GCU. Some delusional GCU fans like to beat their chest about their record but that OCC strength of schedule speaks for itself. I would have liked to have seen what GCUs record was with UMKCs strength of schedule the last 3 years. I'm sure they would have beat William Jewel. After all, you beat William Jessup at home. That was impressive how you guys were tied with them up until about 4 minutes left in the game.... at home. You making fun of UMKC fans making ridiculous claims is the pot calling the kettle black.

Did it make you feel tough laughing and making fun of UMKC fans?
(This post was last modified: 07-31-2018 08:09 AM by dancingNMSUaggie.)
07-31-2018 08:07 AM
gleadley Offline
1st String

(07-31-2018 08:07 AM)dancingNMSUaggie Wrote:  
(07-30-2018 11:05 PM)gleadley Wrote:  

Did it make you feel tough laughing and making fun of UMKC fans?

Do you even remember where this conversation started? I have not laughed at or made fun of UMKC fans. My assertion has been that if/when Roos turn it around, I don't think it will be Richardson who is leading them. I have seen nothing from him that makes think differently, but plenty that confirms my belief. I have nothing against Roo fans. I just don't think they have a very good coach.
07-31-2018 09:39 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.