Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Ivy League admissions & athletics
Bookmark and Share
illiniowl Online
Special Teams

I Root For:
Ivy League admissions & athletics
Per the Harvard Crimson:

Quote:By Ivy League Conference rules, recruited athletes are placed on a 240-point Academic Index, which is calculated based on GPA and standardized test scores. While the minimum score required for Ivy League admissions is 176, the average Academic Index for recruited athletes cannot be more than one standard deviation below the index of the previous four freshmen classes.

At Harvard, the student body index is roughly 220—approximately equivalent to a SAT score of 2200 and near 4.0 GPA, according to a 2014 Crimson report. Students who walk-on to teams are not included in the Athletic Department’s estimate.

Coaches cannot guarantee admissions spots to prospective student-athletes, whose applications must be vetted by the full 40-member admissions committee.

That last bit is precious, because -- whaddaya know -- it turns out that recruited athletes whose academic profiles rate a 1 or 2 on Harvard's internal 6-point scale (1 being the highest) are admitted at an 83% rate (as compared to 16% for nonathletes with a 1 or 2) and those who score a 4 still get in 70% of the time, as compared to 0.076% for nonathletes with a 4. So it's pretty much beyond dispute that Ivies systematically rubber-stamp admissions for athletes that would never get in otherwise.

Just in case anyone knows any Ivy alums who like to wax smug about the supposed purity of Ivy athletics!
07-10-2018 01:56 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

cr11owl Offline
All American

I Root For: Rice
RE: Ivy League admissions & athletics
It’s almost guaranteed the coaches get in who they want. I toured Yale with an offensive lineman who had been recruited and told he would get in. He would’ve had a tough time even walking on at Rice with his size. No comparison between Ivy League football and FBS.
07-10-2018 02:04 PM
mebehutchi Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
Some version of this has been in effect since Chuck Bednarik was on the college gridiron. It’s probably not much different than how we look at it versus the student body at large. They just have a peer institution ecosystem that helps it work and still pick off hockey and lax national titles. The difference as well is even if you get in, you still have to pay the tab i believe. Lately we’ve just been poor outright versus best Ivies in all sports recently. We are modestly better in football, but our league championship couldn’t draw 55k.
07-10-2018 05:53 PM

Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
When I graduated I got my commission through NROTC and spent my first summer at Communication Officer School in Newport, RI. One of my roommates was a UNC graduate who had a fraternity brother from West Haven, CT, whose father was a Yale graduate who had done very well in the oil trading business. He had done a lot of business from the Rockefellers, and had bought what had been an old hunting lodge from them on a lake near Yarmouth. We used to go out on weekends. Anyway, there was a kid who was going to Yale as a tight end. The father was paying him $20,000 to watch over the house during the week during the summer. That was his "scholarship," and 20 grand was a lot of money in 1970.
07-10-2018 06:20 PM
mebehutchi Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
You’ve truly been everywhere. I’m 10 miles from West Haven right now. Spent a lot of time in Yarmouth and gleaned my Ivy info from some guys named Pont, Ryan and even Rupp. And, your depiction of the athlete they attract was my recruitment experience...forgetting the fact that they also convince many to do post grad years just to earn the privilege to pay.
07-10-2018 06:51 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(07-10-2018 06:51 PM)mebehutchi Wrote:  You’ve truly been everywhere. I’m 10 miles from West Haven right now. Spent a lot of time in Yarmouth and gleaned my Ivy info from some guys named Pont, Ryan and even Rupp. And, your depiction of the athlete they attract was my recruitment experience...forgetting the fact that they also convince many to do post grad years just to earn the privilege to pay.

Hutch, I haven’t been everywhere, but the Navy, the oil patch, and rugby have combined to ensure that I’ve been a lot of places.
07-10-2018 09:51 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2018 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.