Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Yeti Cooler | Am I hot or not?
Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

I Root For: NIU
Yeti Cooler | Am I hot or not?
So I have been spending a fair amount of time on the water this summer and would like to know everyone's experience with insulated coolers.

I am willing to spend on the Yeti for maximum social return (03-lmfao) and frankly have not been impressed with the knockoff tumblers and cups I have purchased (Rtic and Ozark Trail.)

Is the Yeti the gold standard? Certainly the internet is full of opinions but do you have personal experience with that you can tell me about?

https://www.yeti.com/

https://www.rticcoolers.com/

https://www.walmart.com/c/brand/ozark-trail-coolers
07-09-2018 03:05 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

GrayBeard Offline
Whiny Troll

I Root For: My Kids & ECU

Crappies
RE: Yeti Cooler | Am I hot or not?
Great topic...I have the same question.
07-09-2018 03:09 PM
Brookes Owl Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice Owls
The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonators
(07-09-2018 03:05 PM)Lord Stanley Wrote:  So I have been spending a fair amount of time on the water this summer and would like to know everyone's experience with insulated coolers.

I am willing to spend on the Yeti for maximum social return (03-lmfao) and frankly have not been impressed with the knockoff tumblers and cups I have purchased (Rtic and Ozark Trail.)

Is the Yeti the gold standard? Certainly the internet is full of opinions but do you have personal experience with that you can tell me about?

Bought an RTIC this spring and have had it out for warm SoCal camping. Love it, especially at a fraction of the Yeti price. Politics/virtue signaling did not enter into my purchase. Be careful with capacity in the Yeti - their labeling is deceptive.

ETA: I have a spectacular Yeti tumbler given to me as result of a recent car purchase. Not spectacular enough to prevent purchase of the RTIC.

Also, these things are pretty damned heavy. If you end up deciding on Yeti consider their recently introduced wheeled coolers.
(This post was last modified: 07-09-2018 03:14 PM by Brookes Owl.)
07-09-2018 03:09 PM
thespiritof1976 Offline
Ancient Alien Theorist

I Root For: Zeti Reticuli
Yeti is the starbucks of coolers. You pay for a trendy name that takes your money and gives it to left wing causes that seek to screw you over....
07-09-2018 03:13 PM
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
I absolutely love my Rtic and it works just as good, if not better, than the Yeti coolers others at the hunt club have.

Here's a comparison video that gives some good insight.

07-09-2018 03:13 PM
gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

I Root For: Southern Miss

Survivor Champion
Lord Stanely as someone who found themselves in the same boat as you, research everything. I wanted a Yeti. But I did the research and settled on an ORCA cooler.

I watched the YouTube reviews. Heres what I saw:

It outlasted Yeti in the cooler challenges.

It's cheaper than a Yeti.

More color options than a Yeti.

Made in America I either Ohio or Tennessee. Yeti and RTIC are made in the Philippines. You can get a Yeti made in America but you'll pay a little more I believe.

Yeti/RTIC offer a 5 year warranty and ORCA offers lifetime.

Tumblers for all are made in China.

The ORCA coolers have more room than a Yeti and are lighter.

We took my ORCA to Destin and the ice lasted 10 days. The water was ice cold an additional 3 days.

My buddy is a huge Yeti fan. After he witnessed my ORCA he was wanting to sell his Yeti and buy one.

You can get discounts too (PM and I'll fill you in). I got a 58 qt cooler and a camo tumbler for $250 after Christmas.

When I bought I was down to an ORCA and Engel cooler.

Now after being at the beach my buddy had a Yeti softside and I loved it but Engel makes a great one that's similar and cheaper and that's my next purchase.
07-09-2018 03:58 PM
Advertisement

usmbacker Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beer
I believe that Orca coolers are the best coolers made. Yeti is made in China, Orca is made in the states. Ice retention is better in the Orca and Orca has a better warranty. Orca's aren't much less than Yeti, but I think they are better.
07-09-2018 03:58 PM
gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

Survivor Champion
(07-09-2018 03:58 PM)usmbacker Wrote:  I believe that Orca coolers are the best coolers made. Yeti is made in China, Orca is made in the states. Ice retention is better in the Orca and Orca has a better warranty. Orca's aren't much less than Yeti, but I think they are better.

Plus Favre is a spokesman for them.
07-09-2018 03:59 PM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

I Root For: ODU
Yeti is a ripoff. I bought a fake Yeti cup from Ollie's for $3 and it is just as good. Granted, I'm not on a fishing boat 10 miles offshore in 100 degree heat, but it serves my purposes.
07-09-2018 04:01 PM
usmbacker Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beer
(07-09-2018 03:59 PM)gdunn Wrote:  
(07-09-2018 03:58 PM)usmbacker Wrote:  I believe that Orca coolers are the best coolers made. Yeti is made in China, Orca is made in the states. Ice retention is better in the Orca and Orca has a better warranty. Orca's aren't much less than Yeti, but I think they are better.

Did not know that.
07-09-2018 04:02 PM
gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

Survivor Champion
(07-09-2018 04:02 PM)usmbacker Wrote:  
(07-09-2018 03:59 PM)gdunn Wrote:  

Did not know that.
Yep. When they released the NFL stuff they do they did a special Green Bay one that he autographed.

I've beem waiting on Southern Miss to let them do cups.
07-09-2018 04:03 PM
Advertisement

SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
(07-09-2018 03:58 PM)gdunn Wrote:  Lord Stanely as someone who found themselves in the same boat as you, research everything. I wanted a Yeti. But I did the research and settled on an ORCA cooler.

I watched the YouTube reviews. Heres what I saw:

It outlasted Yeti in the cooler challenges.

It's cheaper than a Yeti.

More color options than a Yeti.

Made in America I either Ohio or Tennessee. Yeti and RTIC are made in the Philippines. You can get a Yeti made in America but you'll pay a little more I believe.

Yeti/RTIC offer a 5 year warranty and ORCA offers lifetime.

Tumblers for all are made in China.

The ORCA coolers have more room than a Yeti and are lighter.

[b]We took my ORCA to Destin and the ice lasted 10 days. The water was ice cold an additional 3 days. [/b]

My buddy is a huge Yeti fan. After he witnessed my ORCA he was wanting to sell his Yeti and buy one.

You can get discounts too (PM and I'll fill you in). I got a 58 qt cooler and a camo tumbler for $250 after Christmas.

When I bought I was down to an ORCA and Engel cooler.

Now after being at the beach my buddy had a Yeti softside and I loved it but Engel makes a great one that's similar and cheaper and that's my next purchase.

Dam that is impressive.
07-09-2018 04:05 PM
Attackcoog Online

I Root For: Houston
The are all so close to one another it doesnt really matter. I dont like any of them because they are so heavy. If your hunting out in the middle of nowhere for days---then the premium coolers may be for you. For me, its tailgates and beach trips. For me and most folks, a Coleman 5-day will suffice. It strikes a better balance between performance, weight, sturdiness, and cost than the premium coolers. If Im buying a premium cooler---Id just buy the cheapest one that fits your needs because they all perform very well...lol....and they all feel like they are made out of lead.
(This post was last modified: 07-09-2018 04:17 PM by Attackcoog.)
07-09-2018 04:15 PM
Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

So then what is the difference between them all - as in, how does one keep ice longer? You'd think they would all be about exactly the same technology wise once you hit a certain price threshold?
07-09-2018 04:16 PM
tanqtonic Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: rice
(07-09-2018 03:05 PM)Lord Stanley Wrote:  So I have been spending a fair amount of time on the water this summer and would like to know everyone's experience with insulated coolers.

Screw Yeti.

Will refuse to give them any of of my money due to their selling out of the 2nd Amendment (like any good Austin company must do....)

RCTIC is as good as Yeti, at abut 50 per cent of the walletectomy Yeti gives you.
07-09-2018 04:27 PM
gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

Survivor Champion
(07-09-2018 04:16 PM)Lord Stanley Wrote:  So then what is the difference between them all - as in, how does one keep ice longer? You'd think they would all be about exactly the same technology wise once you hit a certain price threshold?

Its has to do with the insulation and sealing.

Like the ORCA I have it seals pretty good and sometimes takes a little muscle to open. The mystery is how one is lighter and bigger than a Yeti but yet out performs.

The other part of the equation is the conditions the cooler is in and if you precool it.

Like in Destin we had it on a balcony so it was in the elements with wind and sun. And right now it's in my garage in Alabama and the ice didn't last a week due to no wind and the garage feels like an oven during the day and part of the night.
07-09-2018 04:30 PM
Advertisement

Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

(07-09-2018 04:30 PM)gdunn Wrote:  The other part of the equation is the conditions the cooler is in and if you precool it.

So technically I could put the cooler in a chest freezer overnight and that would help?
07-09-2018 04:32 PM
Paul M Offline
American-American

I Root For: OU
Yeah. Most sacrifice a bag of ice before packing it though. Dump a bag in for a few hours to cool it then discard it.
07-09-2018 04:44 PM
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
(07-09-2018 04:32 PM)Lord Stanley Wrote:  
(07-09-2018 04:30 PM)gdunn Wrote:  The other part of the equation is the conditions the cooler is in and if you precool it.

So technically I could put the cooler in a chest freezer overnight and that would help?

Yes. It helps to pre-chill any cooler, and any beverages you plan to put in it. You don't waste ice trying to get the cooler and beverages cold.
07-09-2018 04:58 PM
200yrs2late Offline
Resident Parrothead

I Root For: East Carolina
Depends on what you want. I wouldn't buy the yet just cause of the price abs small capacity. Orca is better for the money, but i still have a hard time with the cost. Rtic is good, but the right igloo will keep ice 3 days in direct sunlight as well. I use igloo for my commercial fishing mainly cause they are cheaper. Durability can be an issue, but I guarantee i put my coolers through more in 6 months than most do in 6 years.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using CSNbbs mobile app
07-09-2018 05:04 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.