Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Paul Finebaum Gone From the SECN?
Bookmark and Share
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
Paul Finebaum Gone From the SECN?
I think his contract was up on July 1st which was Sunday but that's not a day for the Finebaum show to air.

Today, even if Paul's on vacation, there should have been a show with a substitute host.

There's not and it's not listed on the guide.

Hmm?

And it is not scheduled after the 4th either. Hmm?
(This post was last modified: 07-02-2018 03:29 PM by JRsec.)
07-02-2018 03:27 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Auburn_Blazer Offline
1st String

I Root For: Auburn & UAB
RE: Paul Finebaum Gone From the SECN?
If true, 2018 might not be so bad after all.
07-02-2018 04:06 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(07-02-2018 04:06 PM)Auburn_Blazer Wrote:  If true, 2018 might not be so bad after all.

Yeah, I could couldn't care less about Pawwwl, but I am interested in what the ESPN angle is.
07-02-2018 04:22 PM
murrdcu Offline
1st String

I Root For: Arkansas
(07-02-2018 04:22 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(07-02-2018 04:06 PM)Auburn_Blazer Wrote:  If true, 2018 might not be so bad after all.

Yeah, I could couldn't care less about Pawwwl, but I am interested in what the ESPN angle is.

Agreed. Paul didn’t take a day off during football season last year. He even flew to NY/CT for a live cfb show or review with other live hosts.

I can’t imagine Peter Burns filling all that air time.

Wild card: Fox Sports picking him up like other ESPN talents?
07-02-2018 05:14 PM
murrdcu Offline
1st String

Old but maybe relevant:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.seccoun...-rumor/amp

Source: Possible relocation of Paul Finebaum’s show to Atlanta could be ‘major renegotiation sticking point’

By Andrew Astleford, SEC Country Staff
January 17, 2018
ATLANTA — With Paul Finebaum’s contract with ESPN/SEC Network up for renewal later this year, a source close to the popular college football commentator said a possible relocation to the College Football Hall of Fame in Atlanta for the analyst’s show “could be a major renegotiation sticking point.”
07-02-2018 05:17 PM
OdinFrigg Offline
Gone Fishing

I Root For: Canine & Avian
Great as a 'Bama filibustering propagandist. However, other SEC schools are invested in the SECN as well. Would it harm him to say the words Mississippi State or Vanderbilt a bit more often and not in a condescending way? And get some of those callers off the air. Some of it is trashy and not fit for anything associated with academia.
(This post was last modified: 07-02-2018 06:12 PM by OdinFrigg.)
07-02-2018 06:09 PM
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(07-02-2018 06:09 PM)OdinFrigg Wrote:  Great as a 'Bama filibustering propagandist. However, other SEC schools are invested in the SECN as well. Would it harm him to say the words Mississippi State or Vanderbilt a bit more often and not in a condescending way? A get some of those callers of the air. Some of it is trashy and not fit for anything associated with academia.

I'm in complete agreement with you here and said so before his first show. I want the callers to be alumni and not veterans of the Jerry Springer show. I wanted Tony Barnhardt who would be a fabulous host. He needs to have guests from the sports industry to talk about pertinent issues and then take serious callers who want to talk about the topic of that specific hour.

I also think our presidents should insist in slow time that tours of each school which highlights the its academic endeavors and social life need to see air time. There's your benefit in recruiting. ESPN doesn't even have to be responsible for production as each of our schools could do their own. Just some thoughts. I would like to hear yours?
07-02-2018 06:16 PM
Hokie Mark Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
SEC schools deserve better than Pawwwl.
07-02-2018 09:47 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(07-02-2018 09:47 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  SEC schools deserve better than Pawwwl.

We agree on that, but if the conference office wanted this deal done, then it could signal that in 2023 on the tier 1 rights we will go to war with ESPN over it. That wouldn't be good for the ACC if it happens. We would honor our contracts but when they reach a conclusion they would never get us back. He's too little of a piss ant to deserve such a fuss. I'm hoping that the SEC office agreed with ESPN that he wasn't good for our image and that the office will quietly let ESPN cut him loose. We'll see.
(This post was last modified: 07-02-2018 10:14 PM by JRsec.)
07-02-2018 10:12 PM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Alabama
Here's the thing about Paul...

I'm sure he's somewhat arrogant, but he was also a great friend of Mike Slive. That alone tells me he's not a media whore who wants attention at all costs.

Here's what he is...

An entertainer with a great familiarity of the subject matter and players involved. He is astute enough to punch everyone's buttons in a way that drives more people to watch than to turn away. He's been consistently rated one of the better talk show hosts even before he went national because he understands people.

His style of backing off and focusing on callers is very unique and I'm still shocked that there aren't very many who have replicated his strategy. The vast majority of talk show hosts are so full of themselves that they won't take 5 seconds to let a caller talk assuming they even bother to let people call in at all. The constant banal yammering and fake outrage from most hosts is so thoroughly annoying that very few of them don't have high turnover. Along comes Paul who takes the time to converse with everyday people and it just feels different to listen to. Why? Because everyone wants to be heard and people listen to Finebaum for the same reason they post on a message board. They want people to hear them and they want to know what other people think.

At times, he's personable and genuine like when he consistently takes the time to listen to a disabled caller who can't speak good English. Other times, he's condescending and short when he pretends to not be paying attention or mocks a caller without them really knowing it. You don't like what he said in the last segment? Stick around 5 more minutes and he'll probably contradict himself. It's a game. He can be annoying in his own right, but only as much as the human mind needs him to be.

Here's what I mean: I love Tony Barnhart and wish desperately he had a daily show on SECN. I would rather listen to Tony than Paul, but Tony would never get the same ratings. You know why? Because human beings are petty, tribal creatures. That's true of most sports fans and especially true of college football fans. After all, how logical or cerebral is it for grown men and women to pledge both dollars and allegiance to kids and adults alike who play games that bear no real world consequence?

We get angry and perturbed over slights, real or perceived, aimed at our favorite school or coach or player. We devote untold amounts of energy toward rivalries that develop based on the prideful inclination to be better than "the other guy." Ultimately, sports is entertainment and we are entertained by battle and conflict.

Just being honest here, but Tony Barnhart is fairly high brow as far as journalists and commentators go. A lot of people like that, but most people would get bored with it for the same reason reality television and pro wrestling are huge industries.

With that said, those who find him distasteful now should have known him back before he went national. It was a lot more of a Jerry Springer-ish display back then and there were times I simply couldn't stand to listen. Going national has been good for him and he's dialed it down a few notches. He probably needs to dial it down again, but the essence of how he entertains can't change too much without becoming boring.

Back in the 90s and early 2000s, he was Bama fans' enemy #1. We weren't winning so much then and Steve Spurrier's Florida generally had out number. He played the same game then and no one would have called him a Bama propagandist. Once you see him change with the "tide" so to speak then you see the game for what it is.

Paul Finebaum taps some of the more elemental aspects of the human psyche and that's why we need him. He makes the SEC Network and all our properties more valuable. He's worth every penny he's made.
07-02-2018 11:09 PM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

Finebaum is still in negotiation with ESPN.

And now for something different...

He's also being wooed by FOX and the Big Ten Network

Quote:But Fox Sports has a history of poaching ESPN talent, like Colin Cowherd, Skip Bayless, Jason Whitlock and Erin Andrews. Big Ten Commissioner Jim Delany is said to be a huge Finebaum fan.

Some Big Ten executives have lamented the absence of a "Paul Finebaum-like show" on the network's programming schedule. Fox owns 51 percent of the Big Ten Network.

And there's other suitors:

Quote:Meanwhile, sources said Finebaum is also drawing interest from Sinclair Broadcast Group, Cumulus Media and Sirius XM (which airs his show and almost hired him to program his own channel before he joined ESPN in 2013).

So basically, Finebaum doesn't have to worry about being in a rush to sign a new contract. Whether people like him or not, he's in demand. Kind of what I was getting at earlier...

Much like a pro athlete with a contract negotiation, he can afford to "sit out" until a favorable deal is ready to go.

From the sound of this, I would bet he'll be back with ESPN sooner than later.
07-04-2018 03:38 AM
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(07-04-2018 03:38 AM)AllTideUp Wrote:  Finebaum is still in negotiation with ESPN.

Quote:But Fox Sports has a history of poaching ESPN talent, like Colin Cowherd, Skip Bayless, Jason Whitlock and Erin Andrews. Big Ten Commissioner Jim Delany is said to be a huge Finebaum fan.

Some Big Ten executives have lamented the absence of a "Paul Finebaum-like show" on the network's programming schedule. Fox owns 51 percent of the Big Ten Network.

Quote:Meanwhile, sources said Finebaum is also drawing interest from Sinclair Broadcast Group, Cumulus Media and Sirius XM (which airs his show and almost hired him to program his own channel before he joined ESPN in 2013).

So basically, Finebaum doesn't have to worry about being in a rush to sign a new contract. Whether people like him or not, he's in demand. Kind of what I was getting at earlier...

Much like a pro athlete with a contract negotiation, he can afford to "sit out" until a favorable deal is ready to go.

1. I wouldn't call Cowherd or Bayless talent. I would call them irritating S.O.B.'s!

2. I don't see Finebaum at the BTN. I do see him at Sirius XM where he would be given control of his own product. I believe issues with ESPN begin and end with their corporate restrictions on who his guests may be, what he can and can't mention (like anything to do with FOX has been a no no). Even certain realignment comments have gotten him a corporate phone call, and being on a leash that causes him to jet from Bristol to Charlotte to location. I think he's tired, he has the kind of health issues that require constant restrictions on diet. And if he is like any of us past 60 he's tired of constraints, doesn't recover from tired quickly, and hates a boss that acts like a parent. And that's pretty much ESPN!
07-04-2018 11:26 AM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

(07-04-2018 11:26 AM)JRsec Wrote:  
(07-04-2018 03:38 AM)AllTideUp Wrote:  Finebaum is still in negotiation with ESPN.

1. I wouldn't call Cowherd or Bayless talent. I would call them irritating S.O.B.'s!

2. I don't see Finebaum at the BTN. I do see him at Sirius XM where he would be given control of his own product. I believe issues with ESPN begin and end with their corporate restrictions on who his guests may be, what he can and can't mention (like anything to do with FOX has been a no no). Even certain realignment comments have gotten him a corporate phone call, and being on a leash that causes him to jet from Bristol to Charlotte to location. I think he's tired, he has the kind of health issues that require constant restrictions on diet. And if he is like any of us past 60 he's tired of constraints, doesn't recover from tired quickly, and hates a boss that acts like a parent. And that's pretty much ESPN!

There was a story out there about him wanting to relocate to Atlanta to do the show and that was apparently a sticking point.

So yeah, I could see him going with Sirius XM because he could do whatever he wanted. Living in Atlanta and not traveling very much would probably be right up his alley.

On the point of who his guests are, I'll bet he also doesn't enjoy interviewing every coach or athlete that comes along. He would probably prefer to stick to football and a few other things that garner attention seasonally. That and his contacts within the industry that are capable of imparting info.
07-04-2018 01:31 PM
OdinFrigg Offline
Gone Fishing

(07-02-2018 06:16 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(07-02-2018 06:09 PM)OdinFrigg Wrote:  Great as a 'Bama filibustering propagandist. However, other SEC schools are invested in the SECN as well. Would it harm him to say the words Mississippi State or Vanderbilt a bit more often and not in a condescending way? A get some of those callers of the air. Some of it is trashy and not fit for anything associated with academia.

I'm in complete agreement with you here and said so before his first show. I want the callers to be alumni and not veterans of the Jerry Springer show. I wanted Tony Barnhardt who would be a fabulous host. He needs to have guests from the sports industry to talk about pertinent issues and then take serious callers who want to talk about the topic of that specific hour.

I also think our presidents should insist in slow time that tours of each school which highlights the its academic endeavors and social life need to see air time. There's your benefit in recruiting. ESPN doesn't even have to be responsible for production as each of our schools could do their own. Just some thoughts. I would like to hear yours?

JRsec, you were too quick in replying. I didn't get a chance to correct a couple of spelling errors before you posted. Incidentally, that was the last day I used that old, troublesome smartphone.
Yes, I termed PF a 'Bama propagandist, and stand by it. There was no intent to disparage the Tide's long history of some extraordinary accomplishments. That was not the point.
Where there is an issue, is the balance in coverage during his program, doesn't exist. Sure, they all get mentioned in one way or another, but focus is overwhelmingly about Alabama. All SEC members are invested; not just to exist and covered as fb opponents for Alabama.
The trash talk callers may be popular with a certain demographic, but it adds nothing of cognitive substance to the discussion. I heard enough, and am not amused what Larry, Phyllis, or what some Dave thinks, or anyone else that may have never set a foot in a college classroom.
I do give PF credit for having some quality guests, i. e. other sportscasters and writers, ADs and coaches, former and current athletes, conference office officials, and others that have useful and interesting information to share.
Certainly, at times PF can drop some tidbits that are quite informative. He has his contacts, and can be a mouthpiece for some insiders to get information into the public domain they don't want to say themselves.
Posters can argue this, but I view PF can rip on a struggling coach in a way that seems a bit mean-spirited. In some situations, coaching personnel may be doing their best given the circumstances; and only makes finding success much more difficult with the inflaming criticism. I often wonder, how the impacted SEC school feels about this venue media attack? While this is going on, Nick Saban is presented as some type of saintly figure. That is quite annoying when repeated multiple times on each show. Again, nothing offensive to Nick Saban; he has had outstanding success at Michigan State, LSU, and Alabama.
The minority callers, not associated with Alabama, often speak of PF's bias. Balanced coverage is not there, and he dismisses or shrugs it off when it is presented to him repeatedly by some decent-sounding listeners. I am not including the nasty callers that speak enraged, and treated by the broadcast as entertainment of which PF plays them for the obvious ignorance they show. PF does usually very well when he is part of panels, and chooses to talk more encompassing pertaining the SEC.
You mentioned a few features I would like to see included. I shall repeat some and others.
* Well-done profiling of campuses in the SEC. This could include admissions and recruiting, orientation, programs of study, interviewing administrations and faculty, favorable data and statistics, speaking to a variety of students, building tours, residence and dining halls, intramurals and other student activities including the band and cheerleading. Visit the medical and veterinary medicine schools. Note research activity and accomplishments. Coverage of famous alumni can be interesting. Yes, let each campus do their timed submissions. Some SEC schools have excellent studios, equipment, and personnel, to produce quality videos/film.
The BTN is very experienced at this and it is shown frequently.
* Bring in quality guests more frequently.
* If they want debates, have them; but be professional and not just partisan fans yapping.
* Go out of the home studio more often. Perhaps do the program with enhanced rotation on campuses.
* I like this. Some will complain. Interview and/or visit competing conferences and profile them, in a nice way, of course. Know what others are doing positively.
* Screen callers based on substantive questions or insight they may have. Not because they are a repeated caller and being drunk and/or excessively emotional is entertaining and amusing. Why should the at-large audience care how many "beers" has had for the day? How is this valuable to the SEC?
* During the recruitment period, give all SEC members coverage as to their interests, needs, and accomplishments.
* Rotate panels of SEC coaches and ADs, having them discuss rule changes, shared problems and frustrations, athlete safety matters, or whatever topic is pertinent at the time.
* Have assistant coaches weigh-in more frequently. Many of them are looking for advancement and would relish being heard.
* If there must be open-lines call-in from uncouth fans or whatever, maybe limit such to two hours one day a week, not five days a week, off and on for four hours.
Still, keep such well-monitored and upgrade the dialogue.

It is suppose to be about higher education and their athletic programs, after all.
07-04-2018 07:05 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(07-04-2018 07:05 PM)OdinFrigg Wrote:  

JRsec, you were too quick in replying. I didn't get a chance to correct a couple of spelling errors before you posted. Incidentally, that was the last day I used that old, troublesome smartphone.
Yes, I termed PF a 'Bama propagandist, and stand by it. There was no intent to disparage the Tide's long history of some extraordinary accomplishments. That was not the point.
Where there is an issue, is the balance in coverage during his program, doesn't exist. Sure, they all get mentioned in one way or another, but focus is overwhelmingly about Alabama. All SEC members are invested; not just to exist and covered as fb opponents for Alabama.
The trash talk callers may be popular with a certain demographic, but it adds nothing of cognitive substance to the discussion. I heard enough, and am not amused what Larry, Phyllis, or what some Dave thinks, or anyone else that may have never set a foot in a college classroom.
I do give PF credit for having some quality guests, i. e. other sportscasters and writers, ADs and coaches, former and current athletes, conference office officials, and others that have useful and interesting information to share.
Certainly, at times PF can drop some tidbits that are quite informative. He has his contacts, and can be a mouthpiece for some insiders to get information into the public domain they don't want to say themselves.
Posters can argue this, but I view PF can rip on a struggling coach in a way that seems a bit mean-spirited. In some situations, coaching personnel may be doing their best given the circumstances; and only makes finding success much more difficult with the inflaming criticism. I often wonder, how the impacted SEC school feels about this venue media attack? While this is going on, Nick Saban is presented as some type of saintly figure. That is quite annoying when repeated multiple times on each show. Again, nothing offensive to Nick Saban; he has had outstanding success at Michigan State, LSU, and Alabama.
The minority callers, not associated with Alabama, often speak of PF's bias. Balanced coverage is not there, and he dismisses or shrugs it off when it is presented to him repeatedly by some decent-sounding listeners. I am not including the nasty callers that speak enraged, and treated by the broadcast as entertainment of which PF plays them for the obvious ignorance they show. PF does usually very well when he is part of panels, and chooses to talk more encompassing pertaining the SEC.
You mentioned a few features I would like to see included. I shall repeat some and others.
* Well-done profiling of campuses in the SEC. This could include admissions and recruiting, orientation, programs of study, interviewing administrations and faculty, favorable data and statistics, speaking to a variety of students, building tours, residence and dining halls, intramurals and other student activities including the band and cheerleading. Visit the medical and veterinary medicine schools. Note research activity and accomplishments. Coverage of famous alumni can be interesting. Yes, let each campus do their timed submissions. Some SEC schools have excellent studios, equipment, and personnel, to produce quality videos/film.
* If they want debates, have them; but be professional and not just partisan fans yapping.
* Go out of the home studio more often. Perhaps do the program with enhanced rotation on campuses.
* I like this. Some will complain. Interview and/or visit competing conferences and profile them, in a nice way, of course. Know what others are doing positively.
* Screen callers based on substantive questions or insight they may have. Not because they are a repeated caller and being drunk and/or excessively emotional is entertaining and amusing. Why should the at-large audience care how many "beers" has had for the day? How is this valuable to the SEC?
* During the recruitment period, give all SEC members coverage as to their interests, needs, and accomplishments.
* Rotate panels of SEC coaches and ADs, having them discuss rule changes, shared problems and frustrations, athlete safety matters, or whatever topic is pertinent at the time.
* Have assistant coaches weigh-in more frequently. Many of them are looking for advancement and would relish being heard.
* If there must be open-lines call-in from uncouth fans or whatever, maybe limit such to two hours one day a week, not five days a week, off and on for four hours.

It is suppose to be about higher education and their athletic programs, after all.

Hear! Hear! I hated his radio show. And I don't care what anyone says in his defense I was listening when he egged on Harvey Updike to do something and quit making idle threats. He thought he was spurring on another Larry or Jim from Tuscaloosa. Instead he was inciting an unstable socio-pathic personality to commit a crime. Then he acts like he isn't responsible at all. I was relieved when some idiot claiming to be for Auburn didn't reciprocate the needless damage to their campus.

I encountered his kind way before many on this board were born. Back then we called them muckrakers and for the newly minted that means people who only stir up the most base and vile side of the marginalized and do so for political, or personal advantage.

Most SEC alumni I know are a hardworking, basically moral, solid citizens. Their sports passions either lead them to attend or attend and donate. They don't get drunk at games, they don't swear or scream, they listen to someone else's thoughts and then share their own along with why they feel the way they do about an issue. Those discussions are informative, and can help disparate parties to come to agreement, or to at least understand the other point of view even if they don't agree with it.

What Paul perpetuates is every negative stereotype the South has to offer and leads the nation to believe that's the way people really are down here and that is major disservice to all of the SEC schools, their missions, and their alumni.

I liken it to having someone speak for the NAACP by putting on a minstrel show or reenacting Amos and Andy.

Furthermore I don't get why Alabama folks love him. He's a boy from Memphis who graduated from the University of Tennessee and who has made a living by lampooning both Alabama and Auburn people. Before Saban how many Alabama coaches did Finebaum take a hand in running them off? Just about every one. I remember him praising Sylvester Croom's hiring at Miss State and then running him down for his "inability to win the big one". He's been making a living by pitting the worst of us against each other since he began his time in Birmingham. He baits callers to tip the worst side of their emotions and then lampoons them by simply letting them speak. And of all the schools he is most critical of everything that is Tennessee. I've often wondered why?

I know he doesn't speak for me, doesn't speak for Auburn, nor does he speak for any other school in the SEC, including Alabama. When your talk is limited to their football team only it tends to minimize what the school really has to offer. I'm just sorry so many Alabama fans can't see that. I knew C.M. Newton. That guy, while at Alabama, was everything a school could hope for in an inspirational ambassador. Paul is merely a cynic that minimizes one of our schools by making them fit the stereotype of a football college thereby downgrading those who hold a degree there, and by making the rest of the SEC appear inept.

Particularly offensive to me has been the constant overlording of two 30 something Northerners who egg on the stereotyping.

For me that's infuriating because I remember curfews against blacks in Northern cities in the '60-'67. Oscoda Michigan comes to mind in addition to others because they didn't permit blacks inside the city limits after sunset.

But meanwhile in 2018 the ignorant trailer park rant is a staple of the Finebaum show perpetuating without ever mentioning it the image of the redneck racist South. For that reason alone I was against him having a slot on the SECN. There are others that we could hire that would do a credible job. Barnhardt is one and if you want edgy then Tim Brando would be another.

But showcasing what we offer academically, taking video tours of all 14 campuses, and having spokespersons talk about the positives of each schools athletic programs would be a welcome salve for the damage done by a cynical muckraking narcissist.
(This post was last modified: 07-04-2018 08:10 PM by JRsec.)
07-04-2018 08:08 PM
OdinFrigg Offline
Gone Fishing

(07-04-2018 08:08 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

Hear! Hear! I hated his radio show. And I don't care what anyone says in his defense I was listening when he egged on Harvey Updike to do something and quit making idle threats. He thought he was spurring on another Larry or Jim from Tuscaloosa. Instead he was inciting an unstable socio-pathic personality to commit a crime. Then he acts like he isn't responsible at all. I was relieved when some idiot claiming to be for Auburn didn't reciprocate the needless damage to their campus.

I encountered his kind way before many on this board were born. Back then we called them muckrakers and for the newly minted that means people who only stir up the most base and vile side of the marginalized and do so for political, or personal advantage.

Most SEC alumni I know are a hardworking, basically moral, solid citizens. Their sports passions either lead them to attend or attend and donate. They don't get drunk at games, they don't swear or scream, they listen to someone else's thoughts and then share their own along with why they feel the way they do about an issue. Those discussions are informative, and can help disparate parties to come to agreement, or to at least understand the other point of view even if they don't agree with it.

What Paul perpetuates is every negative stereotype the South has to offer and leads the nation to believe that's the way people really are down here and that is major disservice to all of the SEC schools, their missions, and their alumni.

I liken it to having someone speak for the NAACP by putting on a minstrel show or reenacting Amos and Andy.

Furthermore I don't get why Alabama folks love him. He's a boy from Memphis who graduated from the University of Tennessee and who has made a living by lampooning both Alabama and Auburn people. Before Saban how many Alabama coaches did Finebaum take a hand in running them off? Just about every one. I remember him praising Sylvester Croom's hiring at Miss State and then running him down for his "inability to win the big one". He's been making a living by pitting the worst of us against each other since he began his time in Birmingham. He baits callers to tip the worst side of their emotions and then lampoons them by simply letting them speak. And of all the schools he is most critical of everything that is Tennessee. I've often wondered why?

I know he doesn't speak for me, doesn't speak for Auburn, nor does he speak for any other school in the SEC, including Alabama. When your talk is limited to their football team only it tends to minimize what the school really has to offer. I'm just sorry so many Alabama fans can't see that. I knew C.M. Newton. That guy, while at Alabama, was everything a school could hope for in an inspirational ambassador. Paul is merely a cynic that minimizes one of our schools by making them fit the stereotype of a football college thereby downgrading those who hold a degree there, and by making the rest of the SEC appear inept.

Particularly offensive to me has been the constant overlording of two 30 something Northerners who egg on the stereotyping.

For me that's infuriating because I remember curfews against blacks in Northern cities in the '60-'67. Oscoda Michigan comes to mind in addition to others because they didn't permit blacks inside the city limits after sunset.

But meanwhile in 2018 the ignorant trailer park rant is a staple of the Finebaum show perpetuating without ever mentioning it the image of the redneck racist South. For that reason alone I was against him having a slot on the SECN. There are others that we could hire that would do a credible job. Barnhardt is one and if you want edgy then Tim Brando would be another.

But showcasing what we offer academically, taking video tours of all 14 campuses, and having spokespersons talk about the positives of each schools athletic programs would be a welcome salve for the damage done by a cynical muckraking narcissist.

When that deranged fan poisoned those beautiful, old oak trees at Auburn University, I was upset hearing about the vandalism. While the sports media has no intention of encouraging criminal acts, they need to keep in mind how commentaries are presented.

Agree, the SECN does not need to perpetuate or feature the negative stereotypes of Southerners.
07-04-2018 11:04 PM
Advertisement

AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

(07-04-2018 07:05 PM)OdinFrigg Wrote:  Yes, I termed PF a 'Bama propagandist, and stand by it. There was no intent to disparage the Tide's long history of some extraordinary accomplishments. That was not the point.

He's not a propagandist in the sense that he doesn't care one iota about Alabama's success. He promotes a narrative because that's what gets him the most attention.

In the 90s, he ran down the Bama program on a regular basis and kissed up to Steven Spurrier and Florida because they were the dominant program of the era. Dubose, Shula, Mike Price...they all felt the brunt of Finebaum's mocking.

For example, if Georgia becomes the dominant program in the next few years and Bama falls on hard times then you'll see Paul flip quicker than a pancake at IHOP. And everybody will forget what he's said in the past because most people have short memories.

Y'all are giving Paul way too much credit. He doesn't have an agenda or a favorite school. He's an entertainer and he says what riles people up because that's what gets him ratings.

Muckraker? Sure, but he has no ideology. He's just trying to make a buck.
07-05-2018 01:11 PM
USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MIZZOU/FSU/USM
(07-04-2018 08:08 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

I can only imagine what the rest of the country sees in their minds when they hear those call-in idiots. I always hoped he was using them for pure humor.
07-05-2018 02:05 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

Well, his show was back on ESPN today.
07-09-2018 05:27 PM
murrdcu Offline
1st String

(07-09-2018 05:27 PM)JRsec Wrote:  Well, his show was back on ESPN today.

Yes. Pawwwl also said he’ll do the SEC media days coming up as well.

Pawwwl ‘s Show is fine, but I would like to see another talk show or radio show that focuses more on the conference vs Paul’s already established state of Alabama focus.
07-10-2018 10:20 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.