Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Amazon wants you to deliver its packages.
TigerBlue4Ever Online
Unapologetic A-hole

I Root For: yo mama
Amazon wants you to deliver its packages.
Amazon wants you to deliver its packages: Everything your business needs to know. Amazon has launched a plan to expand its logistics network by helping create small businesses that will operate 20 to 40 vans each.

Interesting but I don't see this benefiting your average Joe but it is more winning from POTUS. Per a CNN Money article: "The announcement follows public criticism of Amazon by President Donald Trump over the company's arrangement with the US Postal Service."

Amazon is looking to expand its logistics operation and solve for last mile deliveries by giving small businesses turnkey tools to launch delivery companies.

The model behind Amazon's program ties together traditional franchise opportunities, technology and a variable revenue model based on packages delivered. For the e-commerce giant, the effort is worth it if it can expand delivery services.

In theory, Amazon's expansion with small business logistics firms could enhance same-day delivery, fulfillment and customer service.

Amazon has projected that individuals can get rolling with as little as $10,000 in startup capital and earn up to $300,000 in annual profit based on a fleet of 40 delivery vehicles. Amazon is looking to expand its delivery network and reduce its dependence on the U.S. Postal Service, UPS and FedEx. Think of Amazon enabling a bevy of SMB logistics firm in the context of Prime Air, drone delivery and innovative tools.

The rest of the story...
(This post was last modified: 06-28-2018 12:05 PM by TigerBlue4Ever.)
06-28-2018 12:02 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

thespiritof1976 Offline
Ancient Alien Theorist

I Root For: Zeti Reticuli
RE: Amazon wants you to deliver its packages.
Sounds like an Amway type scam, IMO.
06-28-2018 12:04 PM
TigerBlue4Ever Online
Unapologetic A-hole

(06-28-2018 12:04 PM)thespiritof1976 Wrote:  Sounds like an Amway type scam, IMO.

The CNN article makes it sound as if anyone with 10k can start one of these businesses. while the zdnet article breaks down the possible pro's and con's.

I'd bet that the right type of individual could do well in a business model like this but I don't think that individual is going to be found among the general population.

I'm not sure I'd compare it to Amway or call it a scam but but I can see how one might have that opinion.
(This post was last modified: 06-28-2018 01:35 PM by TigerBlue4Ever.)
06-28-2018 01:35 PM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

I Root For: ODU
(06-28-2018 01:35 PM)TigerBlue4Ever Wrote:  
(06-28-2018 12:04 PM)thespiritof1976 Wrote:  Sounds like an Amway type scam, IMO.

The CNN article makes it sound as if anyone with 10k can start one of these businesses. while the zdnet article breaks down the possible pro's and con's.

I'd bet that the right type of individual could do well in a business model like this but I don't think that individual is going to be found among the general population.

I'm not sure I'd compare it to Amway or call it a scam but but I can see how one might have that opinion.

$10k down ain't going to get you a fleet of 20-40 vans, a warehouse, and a large parking lot. I think a lot of people are going to be losing a lot of money. Put the $300k profit guarantee in the contract along with a guarantee to cover the rest of the investment and then I'll gladly put down $10k and quit my job.
06-28-2018 01:41 PM
Kronke Offline
Banned

I Root For: Arsenal / StL
At least amazon is looking at private solutions. The fact that they're doing so indicates that President Trump was right. Like he always says, "So and so laughs when I talk about it, they knew they were screwing us."
06-28-2018 01:42 PM
Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

I Root For: NIU
Amazon seems like simply the worst place to work in the world.
06-28-2018 01:45 PM
Advertisement

banker Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Marshall
If they were smart they would set something up with someone like Uber, because this strikes me as Uber for packages. And if this was an opportunity to make good money then UPS and Fed Ex, which already has the facilities, fleet, drivers and logistical expertise, would do it all. This is Amazon looking for a cheaper alternative to those companies by talking advantage of the less sophisticated. I'm sure they would tell you the lower overhead of your business compared to Fed Ex would be your advantage (ignoring that they also have a lower cost of acquisition and capital).
06-28-2018 01:53 PM
Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

I Root For: NIU
Uber, Lyft, BiteSquad etc - all these gig economy jobs can be used to deliver packages. No matter, you end up making around the same you would make flipping burgers.

This is not an opportunity to get rich. This is an opportunity for Amazon to exploit a lot of people.

I support Amazon driving down prices as best they can purely for my pocketbook so I don't blame Amazon. I blame the dumbshites who think they will get rich working for Amazon in any capacity outside of a corporate role. That's just not going to happen outside of isolated cases.
06-28-2018 02:01 PM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

(06-28-2018 01:53 PM)banker Wrote:  If they were smart they would set something up with someone like Uber, because this strikes me as Uber for packages. And if this was an opportunity to make good money then UPS and Fed Ex, which already has the facilities, fleet, drivers and logistical expertise, would do it all. This is Amazon looking for a cheaper alternative to those companies by talking advantage of the less sophisticated. I'm sure they would tell you the lower overhead of your business compared to Fed Ex would be your advantage (ignoring that they also have a lower cost of acquisition and capital).
Or ignoring that while total overhead dollars may be lower, no way they can compete with O/H as a percentage of direct labor.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
06-28-2018 02:05 PM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

(06-28-2018 02:01 PM)Lord Stanley Wrote:  Uber, Lyft, BiteSquad etc - all these gig economy jobs can be used to deliver packages. No matter, you end up making around the same you would make flipping burgers.

This is not an opportunity to get rich. This is an opportunity for Amazon to exploit a lot of people.

I support Amazon driving down prices as best they can purely for my pocketbook so I don't blame Amazon. I blame the dumbshites who think they will get rich working for Amazon in any capacity outside of a corporate role. That's just not going to happen outside of isolated cases.
Exactly. Just a factor of making the schit flow further downhill and outsourcing problems. Someone with a truly innovative idea might strike it big, but as you said, isolated instances.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
06-28-2018 02:07 PM
umbluegray Offline
Legend

I Root For: The Tigers!
(06-28-2018 01:41 PM)EverRespect Wrote:  

$10k down ain't going to get you a fleet of 20-40 vans, a warehouse, and a large parking lot. I think a lot of people are going to be losing a lot of money. Put the $300k profit guarantee in the contract along with a guarantee to cover the rest of the investment and then I'll gladly put down $10k and quit my job.

$10K won't get you the annual business insurance on just one of those vans.

Much less, get you a van.
06-28-2018 02:34 PM
Advertisement

Paul M Offline
American-American

I Root For: OU
Gonna cost the PO a lot of money they count on.
06-28-2018 02:36 PM
umbluegray Offline
Legend

I Root For: The Tigers!
(06-28-2018 02:01 PM)Lord Stanley Wrote:  Uber, Lyft, BiteSquad etc - all these gig economy jobs can be used to deliver packages. No matter, you end up making around the same you would make flipping burgers.

My comment is about to sidetrack the Amazon topic, but it's pertinent to the exploitation component of your comment.

Illegal immigration is an exploitation of labor. Rather than paying somebody a market wage, these people are used for substandard wages.

While the left is calling for a living wage, these days the figure they use is $15/hr, they are perfectly willing to subject illegals to $8/hr pay with the goal of getting their vote.

And the H1B visa program is the white-collar counterpart to keep professional wages suppressed.

sorry.... back to topic now.
06-28-2018 02:39 PM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
Never bought anything from Amazon. Never will.
06-28-2018 03:06 PM
TigerBlue4Ever Online
Unapologetic A-hole

Yep. But I believe you start out with 5 vans. Either way I don't think this will work for the average Joe.
06-28-2018 04:00 PM
TigerBlue4Ever Online
Unapologetic A-hole

(06-28-2018 02:34 PM)umbluegray Wrote:  

$10K won't get you the annual business insurance on just one of those vans.

Much less, get you a van.

Exactly, and that insurance has to be obtained before you can proceed with the purchase of vans.
06-28-2018 04:01 PM
Advertisement

TigerBlue4Ever Online
Unapologetic A-hole

(06-28-2018 03:06 PM)shere khan Wrote:  Never bought anything from Amazon. Never will.

I've been gifted stuff from my girlfriend who buys everything there, but I don't shop there.
06-28-2018 04:03 PM
TigerBlue4Ever Online
Unapologetic A-hole

sure seems that way.
06-28-2018 04:03 PM
Hambone10 Offline
Hooter

I Root For: My Kids

New Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
(06-28-2018 01:41 PM)EverRespect Wrote:  $10k down ain't going to get you a fleet of 20-40 vans, a warehouse, and a large parking lot. I think a lot of people are going to be losing a lot of money. Put the $300k profit guarantee in the contract along with a guarantee to cover the rest of the investment and then I'll gladly put down $10k and quit my job.

I think the idea is that you don't have a warehouse or large parking lot. You pick up your packages at an Amazon warehouse or other central drop point for an 18 wheeler/train and then deliver them using a drone or a 'fuel efficient' delivery vehicle.

Roadie, Uber, Lyft, Taxi service all seems to have an opportunity depending on the areas.... maybe even a bike/motorcycle service in SF or Manhattan
06-28-2018 04:08 PM
Fort Bend Owl Online
Legend

I Root For: An easy win
The Parliament Awards
They appear to want people to be driving Amazon Prime branded vans so the Uber/Lyft connection isn't viable.

Good luck hiring quality employees these days without giving them legitimate salaries and benefits.

Amazon would be better off actually paying USPS, UPS and Fed Ex what they should be paying them.
06-28-2018 05:17 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.