Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

New Redshirt and Transfer Rules
Bookmark and Share
AtlantaJag Offline
Beltbbs USA INsider

I Root For: USA Jaguars
Article

"The way a transfer works currently is that a student-athlete must alert his or her school prior to transferring. Then, that school can block the student-athlete from having contact with certain other schools. In terms of college football, that often means conference opponents and any schools on the schedule in the near future. Those days are in the past, or at least they will be very soon. As of Wednesday, the NCAA’s Division I council approved a proposal that will switch the transferring process to a “notification-of-transfer” system.

The NCAA also announced revised redshirt rules, which would allow players to participate in up to four games without losing a year of eligibility."
(This post was last modified: 06-13-2018 02:20 PM by AtlantaJag.)
06-13-2018 02:18 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

WolfBird Online
All American

I Root For:
Hate the redshirt change, no problem at all with the transfer change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
06-13-2018 02:43 PM
wcd35 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Louisiana
RE: New Redshirt and Transfer Rules
Redshirt change is for football only. Transfer change is all sports
06-13-2018 03:08 PM
EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
I'm 100% opposed to any transfer rule that will turn the G5 into the farm system for the P5, but this doesn't really seem to do that, so I guess it's okay.

I like the red shirt rule, and in fact I would just go further and say you get 5 years of eligibility.
06-13-2018 03:27 PM
wcd35 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Louisiana
Re: the transfers, it doesnt change eligibility rules, just that players can make a decision and initiate contact with new schools without having to wait for their coach/athletic department to approve.
(This post was last modified: 06-13-2018 03:51 PM by wcd35.)
06-13-2018 03:50 PM
Advertisement

kevinwmsn Offline
1st String

I Root For: South Alabama
I like the redshirt rule. Teams that have been beat up with injuries will have some relief especially late in the year. We were down to 2 running backs between injuries and suspensions late in the year.
06-13-2018 04:09 PM
Georgia_Power_Company Offline
All American

I Root For: GA Southern
(06-13-2018 04:09 PM)kevinwmsn Wrote:  I like the redshirt rule. Teams that have been beat up with injuries will have some relief especially late in the year. We were down to 2 running backs between injuries and suspensions late in the year.

Might also offer an incentive to Freshmen to commit to a school even if they know they will be red-shirted. Being able to play in four games gives those kids the hope that they will still see the field in their first year. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing for the schools but's it great for the kids.
06-13-2018 04:24 PM
TroyFootball05 Offline
1987 Man of the Year

I Root For: Good Times
I mean, its effectively now 4 years and 4 months of playtime for everyone. That first year of eligibility will now have four months of freshman playing at some point rather than them sitting out all year. Or am I misunderstanding?
06-13-2018 05:01 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
AtlantaJag Offline
Beltbbs USA INsider

(06-13-2018 05:01 PM)TroyFootball05 Wrote:  I mean, its effectively now 4 years and 4 months of playtime for everyone. That first year of eligibility will now have four months of freshman playing at some point rather than them sitting out all year. Or am I misunderstanding?

Really more like four years and four weeks. They’ll be able to play in any four games and count that as a redshirt year.
06-13-2018 09:48 PM
Advertisement

InjunJohn86 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ULM
(06-13-2018 05:01 PM)TroyFootball05 Wrote:  I mean, its effectively now 4 years and 4 months of playtime for everyone. That first year of eligibility will now have four months of freshman playing at some point rather than them sitting out all year. Or am I misunderstanding?

one month, not four. They get 4 games. I would like a little clarification on the "injuries and other situations" portion. How about just a straight up "you get to play in 4 games, from 1 to unlimited snaps per game." That will clarify it completely. I am sure that is what they mean but let's not leave any gray area.

Part of me likes the new transfer rule and part of me worries that we are going to see an increase of poaching (coach/booster initiated contact). I think there needs to be some serious penalties for that if it occurs
06-14-2018 06:13 AM
TroyFootball05 Offline
1987 Man of the Year

I Root For: Good Times
Yeah, that's what I meant. Obviously four months is an entire season.
06-14-2018 07:30 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
WolfBird Online
All American

I Root For:
(06-14-2018 06:13 AM)InjunJohn86 Wrote:  

one month, not four. They get 4 games. I would like a little clarification on the "injuries and other situations" portion. How about just a straight up "you get to play in 4 games, from 1 to unlimited snaps per game." That will clarify it completely. I am sure that is what they mean but let's not leave any gray area.

Part of me likes the new transfer rule and part of me worries that we are going to see an increase of poaching (coach/booster initiated contact). I think there needs to be some serious penalties for that if it occurs

They still have to sit a year on a transfer so it’s unlikely you see any increase in anything.

06-14-2018 07:39 AM
InjunJohn86 Offline
Special Teams

(06-14-2018 07:39 AM)WolfBird Wrote:  

They still have to sit a year on a transfer so it’s unlikely you see any increase in anything.

I agree that there won't be much difference but I could see some poaching going on so I would like to see some rules that prevent contact initiated by a school or boosters. If the player wants to transfer, he needs to be the one to initiate the process and not have folks in his ear.
06-14-2018 07:45 AM
Advertisement

WolfBird Online
All American

I Root For:
(06-14-2018 07:45 AM)InjunJohn86 Wrote:  

I agree that there won't be much difference but I could see some poaching going on so I would like to see some rules that prevent contact initiated by a school or boosters. If the player wants to transfer, he needs to be the one to initiate the process and not have folks in his ear.

That is already the rule.

06-14-2018 07:45 AM
InjunJohn86 Offline
Special Teams

I thought so
06-14-2018 07:46 AM
ericsaid Offline
Heisman

I Root For: App. State/ECU
(06-13-2018 04:24 PM)Georgia_Power_Company Wrote:  
(06-13-2018 04:09 PM)kevinwmsn Wrote:  I like the redshirt rule. Teams that have been beat up with injuries will have some relief especially late in the year. We were down to 2 running backs between injuries and suspensions late in the year.

Might also offer an incentive to Freshmen to commit to a school even if they know they will be red-shirted. Being able to play in four games gives those kids the hope that they will still see the field in their first year. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing for the schools but's it great for the kids.

They still have to have a reason for the Redshirt, if 4 games have been played. I doubt that a promise of playing time to a Freshman player is one of the qualified reasons.
06-14-2018 09:58 AM
AtlantaJag Offline
Beltbbs USA INsider

The redshirt rule is simpler than some of you are making it out to be. A player can participate in up to four games during his redshirt year. Period. There doesn't need to be any reason or extenuating circumstance like injuries forcing him into action. The injury reference in the article is just an example. Also that redshirt year doesn't have to be for freshmen only. A guy could play a whole season as a freshman but only four games as a sophomore and that could be his redshirt year.
(This post was last modified: 06-14-2018 10:15 AM by AtlantaJag.)
06-14-2018 10:15 AM
Advertisement

EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
Just like that, our leading receiver and one guy who was probably going to be a second or third-string cornerback have apparently gotten releases to transfer, and GS has now picked up a defensive end that got some play time at Syracuse.

Is this going to be transfer silly season?
06-18-2018 01:18 PM
JCGSU Offline
HAIL SOUTHERN

I Root For: GS EAGLES
Love the RS rule so dumb a player has to come in due to injury for a game or two and lose an entire year of eligibility. I believe we lost Brieda for a year due to ONE play in the UF game. Also, why not get everyone in during blowouts if you are lucky enough to be blowing someone out or in a bowl game for some of the P5's if more than a few seniors want to sit it out and get ready for the draft.

As far a transfer should have been this way the whole time. I am good with a kid going anywhere as long as they sit for a year or play immediately if they have graduated.
06-18-2018 04:30 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.