Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Restructuring The G5 Post Season
TrueBlueDrew Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jawjuh Suthen
With the addition of even more bowls and the realignment of bowls looming in the near future, a lot of ideas have been thrown around in regards to what the future of the G5 post season should look like.

The main problem with G5 bowls now is that they are very mismatched and pit high-ranking teams from one conference against middling teams from another thereby making the bowl win meaningless.

One idea that has been tossed up is the formation of a G5 playoff with the remaining G5 champs after #1 gets into the access bowl. While okay in theory, it would mean that some conferences might have to give up their best bowl tie-in or their best bowl tie-in would lose out on inviting their best team.

Instead of creating some kind of #2-5 mini G5 championship, the G5 conferences need to restructure their bowl tie-ins to match their champions with other conference champions. It can be structured using the current bowl tie-ins:

Sun Belt Champ vs CUSA Champ in the New Orleans Bowl
MWC Champ vs MAC Champ in the Potato Bowl

2nd Place Sun Belt vs 2nd Place MAC in the Mobile Bowl
2nd Place MWC vs 2nd Place CUSA in the New Mexico

3rd Place Sun Belt vs 3rd Place MWC in the Arizona Bowl
3rd Place MAC vs 3rd Place CUSA in the Bahamas Bowl

Outside of that, all the conferences can keep their other tie-ins how they are.

That way every conference will get to play a similar caliber team from each of the other conferences in the post season. If the Access Bowl team comes from any of the 4 conferences above, then the other teams in that conference will move up one tier (ie 2nd place team will play in 1st place bowl etc).

I didn't include the AAC since they are trying to make the "P6" a thing and figured they wouldn't be on board anyway. They can play all the 4th place and below teams in their match ups with the G5 conferences.
06-12-2018 01:51 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
RE: Restructuring The G5 Post Season
The MAC isn't going to send its champ to Idaho even if its to play the MWC champ.
06-12-2018 03:11 PM
JCMiner Offline
All American

I Root For: UTEP
The bowl line up you’re suggesting favors MW teams.
06-12-2018 03:23 PM
TrueBlueDrew Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jawjuh Suthen
(06-12-2018 03:23 PM)JCMiner Wrote:  The bowl line up you’re suggesting favors MW teams.

How so? I just used the same line up that the conferences have currently. Just structured them on tiers.
06-12-2018 03:43 PM
IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
Gotta switch it so it’s 1v2 and 3v4. Sub ‘Zona Bowl for Potato.
06-12-2018 03:51 PM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
(06-12-2018 01:51 PM)TrueBlueDrew Wrote:  With the addition of even more bowls and the realignment of bowls looming in the near future, a lot of ideas have been thrown around in regards to what the future of the G5 post season should look like.

The main problem with G5 bowls now is that they are very mismatched and pit high-ranking teams from one conference against middling teams from another thereby making the bowl win meaningless.

One idea that has been tossed up is the formation of a G5 playoff with the remaining G5 champs after #1 gets into the access bowl. While okay in theory, it would mean that some conferences might have to give up their best bowl tie-in or their best bowl tie-in would lose out on inviting their best team.

Instead of creating some kind of #2-5 mini G5 championship, the G5 conferences need to restructure their bowl tie-ins to match their champions with other conference champions. It can be structured using the current bowl tie-ins:

That way every conference will get to play a similar caliber team from each of the other conferences in the post season. If the Access Bowl team comes from any of the 4 conferences above, then the other teams in that conference will move up one tier (ie 2nd place team will play in 1st place bowl etc).

I didn't include the AAC since they are trying to make the "P6" a thing and figured they wouldn't be on board anyway. They can play all the 4th place and below teams in their match ups with the G5 conferences.

Mismatched? How so?
06-12-2018 04:06 PM
Advertisement

Attackcoog Online

I Root For: Houston
(06-12-2018 04:06 PM)ken d Wrote:  
(06-12-2018 01:51 PM)TrueBlueDrew Wrote:  With the addition of even more bowls and the realignment of bowls looming in the near future, a lot of ideas have been thrown around in regards to what the future of the G5 post season should look like.

Mismatched? How so?

The MW never leaves their footprint. Since 3/4's of the conferences involved are east of the Rockies---then 3/4's of the bowls should be east of the Rockies.
(This post was last modified: 06-12-2018 04:15 PM by Attackcoog.)
06-12-2018 04:12 PM
JCMiner Offline
All American

I Root For: UTEP
(06-12-2018 03:43 PM)TrueBlueDrew Wrote:  
(06-12-2018 03:23 PM)JCMiner Wrote:  The bowl line up you’re suggesting favors MW teams.

How so? I just used the same line up that the conferences have currently. Just structured them on tiers.

It seems the MW will be the “home” team in all the matchups.
06-12-2018 04:12 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
If a certain corporation that devotes significant time to telecasting bowl games and manpower actually running bowl games were so inclined we could wrap this sucker up real fast.

Pick five bowls, say, New Mexico, Armed Forces, Frisco, Boca, and either Las Vegas or Gasparilla.

Create a new body, call it the Bowl Alliance and the commissioners of AAC, CUSA, MAC, MWC, Sun Belt each name one person to the Alliance along with one ESPN Events nominee. The Alliance gets the first two picks of each conference after the CFP and NY6 have done their thing. They meet and argue and place the ten schools in the five games.

Don't want to play along, then don't ask them for bowl ties or help dealing with a schedule issue or whatever other favors they dole out.
06-12-2018 05:16 PM
Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
Like it or not, the AAC and MWC, conferences that can get their champs into games with P5s, need the cash that comes with those bowls. What I could see happening is the SBC, C-USA, and MAC entering into an agreement with 3 bowls that would lock each conference's top 2 teams into a bowl series that would allow each bowl to host the "Little 3" title game twice in a 6 year cycle.

The AAC and MWC ought to get an east coast bowl and a west coast bowl to agree to take turns hosting the top 2 teams from each conference not picked to play in a NY6 or P5 bowl.
06-12-2018 05:57 PM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

Has the AAC ever considered the MWC an equal?

That is what a lot of the fans on here do. The fact is the MWC is now 4 years removed from a CFP bowl and its bowl agreements are teetering on the edge of collapse.

They have more to gain at this point by trying to buddy up with the MAC, CUSA and SBC on a champs rotation. They could revive the Poinsettia bowl and have their champ play in San Diego every year.

AAC is trying to go all out for power conference status or die trying.
06-12-2018 06:08 PM
Advertisement

Jjoey52 Offline
All American

I Root For: ISU
The MW has been down for a couple years, but this year they will be back. Boise is loaded, SDSU is being touted as a top 25 team also, Fresno also looks good. TheMW should be very strong this year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
06-12-2018 06:14 PM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
(06-12-2018 04:12 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(06-12-2018 04:06 PM)ken d Wrote:  

Mismatched? How so?

The MW never leaves their footprint. Since 3/4's of the conferences involved are east of the Rockies---then 3/4's of the bowls should be east of the Rockies.

What does that have to do with the question?
06-12-2018 06:14 PM
JHS55 Offline
All American

I Root For: Houston
I like the g5 bowl thing
Bring back the Bluebonnet bowl as a g5 champions bowl
It was always played at Rice stadium, seats over 50k
06-12-2018 06:17 PM
IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
(06-12-2018 06:17 PM)JHS55 Wrote:  I like the g5 bowl thing

Perfect opportunity to revive the classic Bluebonnet Bowl.
06-12-2018 06:20 PM
BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: USF
I agree. This is a pretty good idea for the G4.
06-12-2018 06:45 PM
Advertisement

Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-12-2018 06:17 PM)JHS55 Wrote:  I like the g5 bowl thing

Sharp idea.

1) Poinsettia (vs. PAC)
2) Bluebonnet (vs. ACC)
3) Independence (vs. ACC)
4) Cure (vs. AAC #2/#3)

Have the G4 put their champs in what would be post Christmas mid tier bowls. There would be an order of selection for the games. For example if Boise became hot again they could play in the Cure Bowl.

Taking last years results.......

Poinsettia (Boise St. vs. PAC)
Bluebonnet (Toledo vs. ACC)
Independence (Troy vs. ACC)
Cure (FAU vs. AAC #2/#3)

Then in year 2 with the same champs..

Bluebonnet (Boise St. vs. ACC)
Independence (Troy vs. ACC)
Cure (FAU vs. AAC #2/#3)
Poinsettia (Toledo vs. PAC)

Year 3....

Independence (Boise St. vs. ACC)
Cure (Troy vs. AAC #2/#3)
Poinsettia (Toledo vs. PAC)
Bluebonnet (FAU vs. ACC)

This is a good system for the MWC being able to kick out Boise St to a bowl outside the footprint on occasion.
06-12-2018 06:45 PM
Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
(06-12-2018 06:08 PM)Kittonhead Wrote:  Has the AAC ever considered the MWC an equal?

That is what a lot of the fans on here do. The fact is the MWC is now 4 years removed from a CFP bowl and its bowl agreements are teetering on the edge of collapse.

They have more to gain at this point by trying to buddy up with the MAC, CUSA and SBC on a champs rotation. They could revive the Poinsettia bowl and have their champ play in San Diego every year.

The top of the MWC is on par with the top of the AAC but the AAC has much more depth.
06-12-2018 07:02 PM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-12-2018 07:02 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  
(06-12-2018 06:08 PM)Kittonhead Wrote:  Has the AAC ever considered the MWC an equal?

The top of the MWC is on par with the top of the AAC but the AAC has much more depth.

That's fair.

I wonder if we will see more Boise St type programs out of CUSA or SBC once those programs have played at the top level 15-20 years.

In the MAC we've largely seen what those programs can do because all 12 have been together for 20 years.
06-12-2018 07:26 PM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
You have to put the AAC in there somewhere. Why? What if Boise State wins the access spot in the bowls? AAC is considered a G5 conference to the P5. Not all the schools in AAC are Power conference material.
06-12-2018 07:35 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.