UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

NCAA to approve 3 new bowl games for 2020; limit conference bowl tie-ins
blazerjay Offline

I Root For: UAB
Donators
NCAA to approve 3 new bowl games for 2020; limit conference bowl tie-ins
https://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.co...n-the-mix/

Quote:In addition to three new bowl games being included in the future bowl schedule, the NCAA Football Oversight Committee is expected to approve a limit on the number of bowl tie-ins any one conference can have.

Conference (# of members) - # of tie-ins allowed

ACC (15*) - 10
SEC (14) - 10
Big Ten (14) - 8
American (12) - 7
Conference USA (14) - 7
Pac-12 (12) - 7
Big 12 (10) - 6
MAC (12) - 6
Mountain West (12) - 6
Sun Belt (10) - 5

* ACC includes Notre Dame
06-11-2018 12:54 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB & Bama

BlazerTalk Award
RE: NCAA to approve 3 new bowl games for 2020; limit conference bowl tie-ins
Total # of tie-ins:
P5 conferences - 41
G5 conferences - 31

Of course,the number of tie-ins is not as important as the $$ value of the bowls to which they are tied. The P5 teams regularly go to bowls that pay out millions to those conferences while the others pay out hundred thousands to G5 conferences. P5 members are invited to several million $$ bowls as well as the lesser paying bowls while G5 teams are almost never invited to the million $$ bowls. In other words, the richer conferences get even richer by millions while the rest get a lot less.
(This post was last modified: 06-11-2018 01:39 PM by BAMANBLAZERFAN.)
06-11-2018 01:27 PM
WesternBlazer Offline
Hall of Famer

06-11-2018 03:39 PM
GreenMississippi Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB / VCU
What's the rubric for two conferences with the same number of tie-ins to have different tie-in limits? 60% or close to that of the number of schools in that conference sounds fair across the board. The SEC will still get more bowls than most conferences because they will fill open slots, but why does the SEC get more slots than the Big 10?
06-11-2018 05:32 PM
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

Need to reduce the number of bowls, reduce the number eligible for bowls from each conference, etc.

Top half of each conference should be considered for bowls, everyone else tough luck.
06-11-2018 06:27 PM
Advertisement

BlazerPhil Offline
Administrator of Comedy

I Root For: Birmingham U.
Folding@NCAAbbs
I believe Bowl eligibility should have parameters the same as I would like to see for the NCAA tournament. Teams should be >.500 in conference & >.667 overall.
06-11-2018 07:03 PM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

I Root For: UAB Blazers

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
Agree phil. I don’t care how many bowls they are until they stop cupping the sec balls.
06-11-2018 10:48 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB & Bama

BlazerTalk Award
(06-11-2018 06:27 PM)the_blazerman Wrote:  Need to reduce the number of bowls, reduce the number eligible for bowls from each conference, etc.

Top half of each conference should be considered for bowls, everyone else tough luck.

My opinion is that reducing the number of bowls would only result in fewer spots for G5 teams. As it is, there are only 3 bowl games relevant to the FBNC, and only the same relative few teams get to play in them.

All the rest are just varied degrees of irrelevancy. They are primarily played for the same reason as the original 4 bowls -- a chance for teams to meet who usually don't / can't in the regular season. I say we should let the free market decide which bowls survive and which ones perish.
(This post was last modified: 06-12-2018 03:20 PM by BAMANBLAZERFAN.)
06-12-2018 03:19 PM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

I Root For: UAB Blazers

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
exactly
06-12-2018 05:19 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.