Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Sources: Amazon eyes downtown Raleigh for HQ2; Apple deal ‘imminent’
ODU BLUE Offline
1st String

I Root For: ODU
Sources: Amazon eyes downtown Raleigh for HQ2; Apple deal ‘imminent’
Quote:After considering several sites in the Triangle, including at least two in Raleigh and three in Research Triangle Park, Amazon has made it known that downtown Raleigh is its preference, a source told WRAL TechWire Wednesday.

https://www.wraltechwire.com/2018/05/31/...-imminent/
06-09-2018 05:02 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

green Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Miami
RE: Sources: Amazon eyes downtown Raleigh for HQ2; Apple deal ‘imminent’
[Image: New_ACC_logo.jpg]

A-C-C! A-C-C! A-C-C!
(This post was last modified: 06-09-2018 05:54 AM by green.)
06-09-2018 05:48 AM
Fort Bend Owl Online
Legend

I Root For: An easy win
The Parliament Awards
Could be locals spinning their site in hopes of a positive conclusion. I guess we'll see soon enough if it's true.

If Raleigh/Durham does get both, it might be time to start looking into colleges in that area for my kids. Duke is probably out of the question (both financially and perhaps academically) but there might be some other schools to look at in that area. My older one has already told me she wants to go out of state to some place that actually gets a winter. My younger one wants to go somewhere that has big time college football (so that also might rule out the schools in that region).
06-09-2018 07:30 AM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(06-09-2018 07:30 AM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  Could be locals spinning their site in hopes of a positive conclusion. I guess we'll see soon enough if it's true.
If Raleigh/Durham does get both, it might be time to start looking into colleges in that area for my kids. Duke is probably out of the question (both financially and perhaps academically) but there might be some other schools to look at in that area. My older one has already told me she wants to go out of state to some place that actually gets a winter. My younger one wants to go somewhere that has big time college football (so that also might rule out the schools in that region).

You have Duke (Durham), North Carolina (Raleigh), and NC State (Raleigh) within about 15-30 miles of each other (just Google Mapped it, round trip loop to all 3 and back to start is 57 miles). When my mother was at Duke, Wake Forest was still in Wake Forest, NC, and a complete loop of the 4 was 80 miles. Once the Reynolds tobacco money moved them to Winston-Salem in the mid 1950s, that loop is now about 220 miles, equivalent to a loop of Rice/UH/Sam/aTm. One of them usually plays big-time football, and all of them usually play big-time basketball. And they pretty much run the gamut academically. Nearest skiing if she's into that for winter is probably 150 miles away in Boone (closer for Wake), usually artificial snow. App State is in Boone, and that might be an option if she wants real winter.
(This post was last modified: 06-09-2018 07:58 AM by Owl 69/70/75.)
06-09-2018 07:45 AM
DFWMINER Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Crappies
(06-09-2018 07:30 AM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  Could be locals spinning their site in hopes of a positive conclusion. I guess we'll see soon enough if it's true.

Clemson? Not too far away and they have big time football.
06-09-2018 08:27 AM
Fo Shizzle Offline
Pragmatic Classical Liberal

I Root For: ECU PIRATES

Balance of Power Contest
(06-09-2018 07:45 AM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  

You have Duke (Durham), North Carolina (Raleigh), and NC State (Raleigh) within about 15-30 miles of each other (just Google Mapped it, round trip loop to all 3 and back to start is 57 miles). When my mother was at Duke, Wake Forest was still in Wake Forest, NC, and a complete loop of the 4 was 80 miles. Once the Reynolds tobacco money moved them to Winston-Salem in the mid 1950s, that loop is now about 220 miles, equivalent to a loop of Rice/UH/Sam/aTm. One of them usually plays big-time football, and all of them usually play big-time basketball. And they pretty much run the gamut academically. Nearest skiing if she's into that for winter is probably 150 miles away in Boone (closer for Wake), usually artificial snow. App State is in Boone, and that might be an option if she wants real winter.

My alma mater East Carolina is the 2nd largest public University and is about a 45 min drive away from Raleigh down 264. Pretty much everything at ECU centers around college football in the Fall.
(This post was last modified: 06-09-2018 11:13 AM by Fo Shizzle.)
06-09-2018 11:10 AM
Advertisement

Niner National Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
(06-09-2018 08:27 AM)DFWMINER Wrote:  

Clemson is 4.5-5 hours to Raleigh. DC is about the same for comparison.
06-09-2018 11:31 AM
DFWMINER Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Crappies
(06-09-2018 11:31 AM)Niner National Wrote:  

Yes. Curious if you consider that far or not?

Growing up in Texas, I don't. My son is headed to OK State in the fall, about 4 hours or so from Dallas, and I think that is a fairly close. I guess it's relative to what you're use to?

Clemson is probably the biggest football program within 6 hours of the triangle area imo.
06-09-2018 11:56 AM
Niner National Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
(06-09-2018 11:56 AM)DFWMINER Wrote:  

Growing up in Texas, I don't. My son is headed to OK State in the fall, about 4 hours or so from Dallas, and I think that is a fairly close. I guess it's relative to what you're use to?

Clemson is probably the biggest football program within 6 hours of the triangle area imo.
I do. As soon as I posted that I had the thought that your scale for distance is probably different than mine since you live in Texas.
06-09-2018 12:07 PM
200yrs2late Offline
Resident Parrothead

I Root For: East Carolina
A waterfront property in Beaufort just sold for 2.3 or 2.5 million with the buyer listed as an law firm LLC out of the San Diego area. Local speculation is that it's Apple/Amazon related.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using CSNbbs mobile app
06-09-2018 05:25 PM
Fort Bend Owl Online
Legend

I Root For: An easy win
The Parliament Awards
That's 155 miles away from the research triangle - and San Diego is nowhere near the Silicon Valley. But I'll bow to your local insider knowledge.
06-09-2018 06:50 PM
Advertisement

stinkfist Online
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
somebody should rehash the previous thread on this.....that's not my gig, but would be an interesting read....
06-09-2018 07:38 PM
200yrs2late Offline
Resident Parrothead

I Root For: East Carolina
(06-09-2018 06:50 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  That's 155 miles away from the research triangle - and San Diego is nowhere near the Silicon Valley. But I'll bow to your local insider knowledge.
You don't have to 'bow' to anything. I'm just repeating what has been speculated here and in Raleigh.

I'll dig and find out what llc purchased the property, shouldn't be too difficult.

As for the distance between Raleigh and Beaufort, all but the final 5-7 miles will be interstate in the next 10-15 years. There's also an airport 3 miles from the property with a FBO in place. That puts Raleigh inside of 30 minutes by air in a private aircraft.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using CSNbbs mobile app
06-09-2018 08:55 PM
DFWMINER Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Crappies
(06-09-2018 12:07 PM)Niner National Wrote:  

I do. As soon as I posted that I had the thought that your scale for distance is probably different than mine since you live in Texas.

Gotcha.

Yup, Texas is big.

I've been told that the eastern state line is closer to the east coast (Atlantic Ocean) than El Paso. The western state line closer to the west coast (Pacific Ocean)than Texrakana. The northern panhandle closer to Canada than Brownsville and Brownsville closer to Mexico City than the north Texas Panhandle.

4-5 hour drives are nothing. Lol
06-09-2018 10:03 PM
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
(06-09-2018 10:03 PM)DFWMINER Wrote:  I've been told that the eastern state line is closer to the east coast (Atlantic Ocean) than El Paso.

Texarkana is closer to Atlanta than it is to El Paso. When we were looking at routes to drive to my son's BCT graduation a full day's driive from here was Monroe, LA. When he drove home from El Paso it was 22 hours with the majority of the time spent in Texas.
06-09-2018 10:59 PM
thespiritof1976 Offline
Ancient Alien Theorist

I Root For: Zeti Reticuli
(06-09-2018 10:03 PM)DFWMINER Wrote:  
(06-09-2018 12:07 PM)Niner National Wrote:  
(06-09-2018 08:27 AM)DFWMINER Wrote:  Clemson? Not too far away and they have big time football.

Gotcha.

Yup, Texas is big.

I've been told that the eastern state line is closer to the east coast (Atlantic Ocean) than El Paso. The western state line closer to the west coast (Pacific Ocean)than Texrakana. The northern panhandle closer to Canada than Brownsville and Brownsville closer to Mexico City than the north Texas Panhandle.

4-5 hour drives are nothing. Lol

Texas. It's like a whole 'nother country.
06-09-2018 11:17 PM
Advertisement

NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UND
Has any city scored two bigger wins? Maybe Houston when it got the Exxon/Mobile HQ but this is even more jobs.

Raleigh/ Triangle seems on the verge of overtaking Charlotte and even larger metros now.

Glad Atlanta and DC weren’t nabbed. Thought a Midwest city like Pittsburgh or Indianapolis would get heavy consideration from Amazon.
06-10-2018 12:17 AM
thespiritof1976 Offline
Ancient Alien Theorist

(06-10-2018 12:17 AM)NoDak Wrote:  Has any city scored two bigger wins? Maybe Houston when it got the Exxon/Mobile HQ but this is even more jobs.

Raleigh/ Triangle seems on the verge of overtaking Charlotte and even larger metros now.

Glad Atlanta and DC weren’t nabbed. Thought a Midwest city like Pittsburgh or Indianapolis would get heavy consideration from Amazon.

How much longer until the new owner of the Panthers start to leverage Raleigh for a new stadium ?

Pretty sad that it is even a thought, IMO.
06-10-2018 12:47 AM
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UND
(06-10-2018 12:47 AM)thespiritof1976 Wrote:  
(06-10-2018 12:17 AM)NoDak Wrote:  Has any city scored two bigger wins? Maybe Houston when it got the Exxon/Mobile HQ but this is even more jobs.

How much longer until the new owner of the Panthers start to leverage Raleigh for a new stadium ?

Could even see MLB taking a look at the Raleigh area in preference over Charlotte. The new Hurricanes owner is quite the poker winner.
06-10-2018 12:54 AM
thespiritof1976 Offline
Ancient Alien Theorist

(06-10-2018 12:54 AM)NoDak Wrote:  
(06-10-2018 12:47 AM)thespiritof1976 Wrote:  

Could even see MLB taking a look at the Raleigh area in preference over Charlotte. The new Hurricanes owner is quite the poker winner.

Can Raleigh support the NHL ? There is still talk of them moving. MLB ? Yes. Hopefully though, the Rays are not moved. Off the subject I know but while the Rays don't have high attendance, their local tv ratings are among the highest in the majors.

Raleigh though is still a really untapped area for pro sports. Not as much competition as, say, South Florida.
06-10-2018 12:56 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.