Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Around the league 2018-2019
Bookmark and Share
Bogg Offline
All American

I Root For: UConn
Around the league 2018-2019
Couldn't find a good Creighton thread so figured I'd make a designated catch-all. Big East continues to clean up on the transfer market as today Creighton got a commit from Rice grad transfer Connor Cashaw. 6'5" guard who lead Rice in scoring and rebounding last year at 15.5 and 7.1 per, respectively. Necessary shot in the arm for a program that lost a bunch on the perimeter after this year.
06-07-2018 02:17 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

stever20 Online
Legend

I Root For: Sports
RE: Around the league 2018-2019
yeah, good pickup- will be interesting to see how he handles the uptick in competition(always say that about guys moving up from smaller leagues).

Creighton will be interesting. They've really upgraded their schedule, but lost a lot. I'd have loved to see last years team with this years schedule.
06-07-2018 02:36 PM
GoldenWarrior11 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marquette, BE
Lots of new looks next year with fresh faces. Will be entertaining no doubt, possibly the most wide open we have had since 2013.
06-07-2018 09:09 PM
stever20 Online
Legend

I do love how there are still folks who can't believe teams don't want to play at MSG so why can't St John's get great games at home.

The problem is that all of these teams do get to play at MSG this season
UConn 3
Iowa 2
Oregon 2
Syracuse 2
Notre Dame
Oklahoma
West Virginia
Florida
Kentucky
Seton Hall
Texas Tech
Duke
Villanova
06-08-2018 10:29 AM
hoops22 Offline
Banned

I Root For: big east
(06-08-2018 10:29 AM)stever20 Wrote:  I do love how there are still folks who can't believe teams don't want to play at MSG so why can't St John's get great games at home.

UConn 3
Iowa 2
Oregon 2
Syracuse 2
Notre Dame
Oklahoma
West Virginia
Florida
Kentucky
Seton Hall
Texas Tech
Duke
Villanova

More cherry picked, inaccurate data as usual. First off, every Big East team will be playing a minimum of two games at MSG, with the majority playing three or more. Not just Villanova and Seton Hall as you stated. And now let me provide you with a partial list of those schools unable to play at MSG this year: Virginia, North Carolina, Louisville, Miami, Florida St., Gonzaga, UCLA, USC, Arizona, Michigan St, Michigan, Ohio St, Purdue, Indiana, Maryland, Nevada, Auburn, Tennessee, LSU, Kansas, Texas.... Shall I go on? I'm nowhere near done. And as I'm sure you know, in your beloved AAC only UCONN will be making the trip to MSG this year.
06-08-2018 11:58 AM
stever20 Online
Legend

(06-08-2018 11:58 AM)hoops22 Wrote:  
(06-08-2018 10:29 AM)stever20 Wrote:  I do love how there are still folks who can't believe teams don't want to play at MSG so why can't St John's get great games at home.

UConn 3
Iowa 2
Oregon 2
Syracuse 2
Notre Dame
Oklahoma
West Virginia
Florida
Kentucky
Seton Hall
Texas Tech
Duke
Villanova

More cherry picked, inaccurate data as usual. First off, every Big East team will be playing a minimum of two games at MSG, with the majority playing three or more. Not just Villanova and Seton Hall as you stated. And now let me provide you with a partial list of those schools unable to play at MSG this year: Virginia, North Carolina, Louisville, Miami, Florida St., Gonzaga, UCLA, USC, Arizona, Michigan St, Michigan, Ohio St, Purdue, Indiana, Maryland, Nevada, Auburn, Tennessee, LSU, Kansas, Texas.... Shall I go on? I'm nowhere near done. And as I'm sure you know, in your beloved AAC only UCONN will be making the trip to MSG this year.

But I thought St John's could block teams from ever playing at MSG? That's what a lot of folks were claiming to have St John's not play teams like Syracuse to not give them access to MSG. Any good team that wants to play at MSG can, with or w/o St John's. They don't need St John's to play at MSG. And that's the point I'm making.
06-08-2018 12:26 PM
Advertisement

hoops22 Offline
Banned

I Root For: big east
A lot of folks are claiming St. John's can block people from playing at MSG? Show me one that made that claim. Obviously St John's can't blacklist anyone from playing at MSG, but they can help facilitate it for plenty of others. From the long list I provided, I'm sure there are more than a few teams that would have welcomed a game at the Garden this year.
06-08-2018 01:31 PM
stever20 Online
Legend

there absolutely were a lot of folks saying that St John's shouldn't schedule teams like Syracuse to block them from getting to play at MSG. And you know darn well that I'm right.

Also, your comment that every Big East team will play a minimum of 2 games at MSG... Are all 9 conference games being played at MSG? Has never been the case before. So yeah everyone guaranteed one, but like last year only Georgetown, Villanova, and Seton Hall played regular season games at MSG so they were the only 3 that were guaranteed 2 games at MSG.
06-08-2018 05:23 PM
Bogg Offline
All American

(06-08-2018 05:23 PM)stever20 Wrote:  there absolutely were a lot of folks saying that St John's shouldn't schedule teams like Syracuse to block them from getting to play at MSG. And you know darn well that I'm right.

I don't think you're right. Nobody's ever been under the impression that MSG was St. John's on-campus stadium and playing St. John's was the only way to get a date there. There are people who feel that Syracuse joining a conference with no natural presence in New York City is a handicap that the Big East teams (specifically SJU) shouldn't help them work around via home-and-homes but nobody was under the impression that Cuse (or anyone else) couldn't play in special tournaments/neutral-site games there. That seems more like you willfully misunderstanding a point to make it easier to argue against.
06-08-2018 06:18 PM
stever20 Online
Legend

(06-08-2018 06:18 PM)Bogg Wrote:  
(06-08-2018 05:23 PM)stever20 Wrote:  there absolutely were a lot of folks saying that St John's shouldn't schedule teams like Syracuse to block them from getting to play at MSG. And you know darn well that I'm right.

I don't think you're right. Nobody's ever been under the impression that MSG was St. John's on-campus stadium and playing St. John's was the only way to get a date there. There are people who feel that Syracuse joining a conference with no natural presence in New York City is a handicap that the Big East teams (specifically SJU) shouldn't help them work around via home-and-homes but nobody was under the impression that Cuse (or anyone else) couldn't play in special tournaments/neutral-site games there. That seems more like you willfully misunderstanding a point to make it easier to argue against.

there absolutely were folks who thought that if St John's didn't play Syracuse, they could shut Syracuse out of NYC. All that does is hurt St John's.
06-08-2018 09:15 PM
Bogg Offline
All American

(06-08-2018 09:15 PM)stever20 Wrote:  there absolutely were folks who thought that if St John's didn't play Syracuse, they could shut Syracuse out of NYC. All that does is hurt St John's.

…….yea, I doubt there was anyone who thought NYC-based early-season tournaments would ask St. John's permission to schedule Syracuse, or that MSG would stop hosting neutral-site games. Sounds like you're making something up to argue against.
06-09-2018 04:27 PM
Advertisement

stever20 Online
Legend

(06-09-2018 04:27 PM)Bogg Wrote:  
(06-08-2018 09:15 PM)stever20 Wrote:  there absolutely were folks who thought that if St John's didn't play Syracuse, they could shut Syracuse out of NYC. All that does is hurt St John's.

…….yea, I doubt there was anyone who thought NYC-based early-season tournaments would ask St. John's permission to schedule Syracuse, or that MSG would stop hosting neutral-site games. Sounds like you're making something up to argue against.

there absolutely were folks who thought that St John's shouldn't help Syracuse by scheduling them. I know there were some from the non C7 programs thinking that. I think it was absolutely crazy- as Syracuse was never going to have a problem getting into MSG.

St John's is just dumb as heck not playing better teams in their OOC schedule. They're going to have a bottom 100 schedule. For a team that has a chance to make the tourney, I have no clue why you would do that. Some St John's fans are like why should we schedule tough, look at the last 3 years and what it got us. Well, this past year they go 11-2 in OOC play. If they get even 8 conference wins, they're in the tourney easily(and frankly probably not even in Dayton). Now, it may take quite frankly 10 conference wins to just make the tourney. Yeah I'm saying a 21-11 St John's team who goes 12-1 in OOC play losing only to Duke and then 9-9 in Big East could miss the tourney.
06-09-2018 09:32 PM
gosports1 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: providence
People were talking about St Johns not scheduling teams that left the BE to play at MSG. Which would give them exposure in NYC market. I don't remember anyone claiming SJU should try to keep these schools from playing at MSG at all. Not sure how would even do that. UConn and Syracuse already schedule games there. IMO SJU should have these 2 on their schedule on a regular basis
06-09-2018 09:42 PM
Bogg Offline
All American

(06-09-2018 09:32 PM)stever20 Wrote:  there absolutely were folks who thought that St John's shouldn't help Syracuse by scheduling them. I know there were some from the non C7 programs thinking that. I think it was absolutely crazy- as Syracuse was never going to have a problem getting into MSG.

Which isn't at all what you said at first and now you're walking it back. There's a world of difference between "Syracuse can't play at MSG unless we give the arena permission" and "we shouldn't make Syracuse's attempts at getting back into New York any easier than it needs to be". Glad your ceding the argument though.

Anyways, X picked up three-star Keonte Kennedy as a late 2018 commit out of Texas. Looks to be a depth add, but the other two in his final three were Texas Tech and SMU, so he had good offers, and it's good to see a school be able to go into Texas and pull a kid from a pair of in-state schools.
06-10-2018 12:47 PM
stever20 Online
Legend

the thing that's amazing to me is how poor St John's schedule is this year. It could easily be in that 250-300 range(I'm guessing around 275). But it's not just the ranking that's the problem. It's very possible, if not likely that the only tier 1 game is @ Duke. Might only have like 1 or 2 tier 2 games.

To put 250 or 275 in perspective- of the P6 conferences, only 16 of 75 teams had a OOC SOS of 250 or worse, and only 11 had 275 or worse. So it's very possible that St John's could have a bottom 10 OOC SOS this year from the P6. For a team that could easily be real close on making the tourney, that could be devastating. And even if they do make the tourney, it could easily kill their seeding.
06-11-2018 09:35 AM
Huskypride Offline
New Kid on the Block

I Root For: Competitive FB
i hear that the johnnies are projected top 30 team with their best player coming back According to my friend who is a st johns fans
(This post was last modified: 06-11-2018 02:52 PM by Huskypride.)
06-11-2018 02:51 PM
Advertisement

stever20 Online
Legend

i don't know about top 30. Heron still no lock at all to be eligible in 2018-19. They are extremely short up front. They're probably looking at a 40-50 range season. Which is what makes their OOC schedule that much more confusing.
06-11-2018 03:25 PM
Bogg Offline
All American

(06-11-2018 02:51 PM)Huskypride Wrote:  i hear that the johnnies are projected top 30 team with their best player coming back According to my friend who is a st johns fans

(06-11-2018 03:25 PM)stever20 Wrote:  i don't know about top 30. Heron still no lock at all to be eligible in 2018-19. They are extremely short up front. They're probably looking at a 40-50 range season. Which is what makes their OOC schedule that much more confusing.

Depends on Heron. If he's eligible, then he and Ponds should make up an excellent backcourt that complement each other very well. If he has to sit a year then St. John's is maybe middle of the pack in the Big East, potentially lower, definitely not knocking on the door of the top 25.
06-11-2018 08:46 PM
Huskypride Offline
New Kid on the Block

I Root For: Competitive FB
(06-11-2018 08:46 PM)Bogg Wrote:  
(06-11-2018 02:51 PM)Huskypride Wrote:  i hear that the johnnies are projected top 30 team with their best player coming back According to my friend who is a st johns fans

(06-11-2018 03:25 PM)stever20 Wrote:  i don't know about top 30. Heron still no lock at all to be eligible in 2018-19. They are extremely short up front. They're probably looking at a 40-50 range season. Which is what makes their OOC schedule that much more confusing.

Depends on Heron. If he's eligible, then he and Ponds should make up an excellent backcourt that complement each other very well. If he has to sit a year then St. John's is maybe middle of the pack in the Big East, potentially lower, definitely not knocking on the door of the top 25.

if heron is in fact going to be eligible there are a solid amount of media saying the johnnies may have the most talented roster in the big east... of course according to my friend
06-12-2018 08:50 AM
stever20 Online
Legend

they might have the individual talent- but 1 major problem they have is absolutely no size. What is it like 1 or 2 guys at 6'7 or taller?
06-12-2018 10:17 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.