Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Aresco on Podcast (underdog dynasty)
pesik Offline
Legend

I Root For: Houston
Aresco on Podcast (underdog dynasty)
https://www.underdogdynasty.com/2018/6/6...f-usf-ncaa

interesting notes for those who dont want to listen:
- i found it interesting he didnt say bama won the national championship, he said they won the "CFP playoff"

- underdog is a g5 site, he makes a joke about not sure why he is here, we are p6, not g5 ..but notes it was joke

- defends ucf..seems way more supportive on ucf title claim than in the past in any other interview, taking some shots at bama claimed titles

- says ucf could have beaten anyone in the playoff, not even a doubt in his mind..

- says ranking ucf at 12 and houston at 18 when they were 10-0 a few years ago is an absolute joke

-says expanding to 8 might not change anything, as we have never been ranked in the top 8, we'd still be fighting the same battle ...
expanding playoff isnt the answer, respect must come first

- calls the money in our current deal a historical mistake, a rounding error. expects big money but not exactly p5 level

- Wichita brings fans everywhere .. it was a big win for both sides

-ucf might be the preseason basketball favorite ..we are trying to have no 200+ rpi teams

- notes how good the aac has been without temple, uconn and memphis playing to their potential ...wouldn't be shocked if there was a year we put up 7 or 8 in the tourney down the line
(This post was last modified: 06-06-2018 12:32 PM by pesik.)
06-06-2018 11:17 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

NBPirate Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
RE: Aresco on Podcast (underdog dynasty)
I wish he would quantify what he means as "big money", but not "P5 money".
06-06-2018 11:20 AM
SublimeKnight Offline
All American

I Root For: UCF
(06-06-2018 11:17 AM)pesik Wrote:  interesting notes for those who dont want to listen:
- i found it interesting he didnt say bama won the national championship, he said they won the "CFP playoff"

- defends ucf..seems way more supportive on ucf title claim than in the past in any other interview, taking some shots at bama claimed titles

Guess he got confirmation from his agent that he's not getting the SEC commish job.
06-06-2018 11:37 AM
Attackcoog Offline

One interesting side note, he mentions that the Colley Index, which UCF uses to support its national championship claim), is used to determine to conference rank in G5 CFP "performance pool". Its interesting that some of the non-power conference members who come on the AAC Board like to say "nobody pays attention to the Colley index". Well, it would seem thats not entirely true. It turns out the Colley index can apparently be pretty important for those non-power conferences and the AD's and commissioners who can potentially see extra money based on that index.
(This post was last modified: 06-06-2018 11:46 AM by Attackcoog.)
06-06-2018 11:44 AM
bearcatfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats!
Thanks for summarizing.
06-06-2018 12:09 PM
PT_american Offline
1st String

I Root For: American
(06-06-2018 11:20 AM)NBPirate Wrote:  I wish he would quantify what he means as "big money", but not "P5 money".

He seems a lot bolder about the money so it will be interesting. To me considering every P5 is what at least 25 million or so that big money would be at least in the 10-15 range. So while not P5 it would instantly vault the league way above where it is today. Hope he has some inside info to support these numbers. I mean if he pulls 5 million I would exactly call that big money.
06-06-2018 12:09 PM
Advertisement

Tiger1983 Offline
BBA

I Root For: Tigers - GTG!

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
(06-06-2018 12:09 PM)bearcatfan Wrote:  Thanks for summarizing.

+1
06-06-2018 12:22 PM
HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

I Root For: UCONN
(06-06-2018 11:17 AM)pesik Wrote:  https://www.underdogdynasty.com/2018/6/6...f-usf-ncaa

interesting notes for those who dont want to listen:

- underdog is a g5 site, he makes a joke about not sure why he is here, we are p6, not g5 ..but notes it was joke

- says ucf could have beaten anyone in the playoff, not even a doubt in his mind..

- says ranking ucf at 12 and houston at 18 when they were 10-0 a few years ago is an absolute joke

-says expanding to 8 might not change anything, as we have never been ranked in the top 8, we'd still be fighting the same battle ...
expanding playoff isnt the answer, respect must come first

- calls the money in our current deal a historical mistake, a rounding error. expects big money but not exactly p5 level

- Wichita brings fans everywhere .. its was a big win for both sides

-ucf might be the the preseason basketball favorite ..we are trying to have no 200+ rpi teams

- notes how good the aac has been without temple, uconn and memphis playing to their potential ...wouldn't be shocked if there was a year we put up 7 or 8 in the tourney down the line

So good that those non-Temple/UCONN/Memphis teams have a collective zero Sweet 16 appearances...

Aresco certainly spends a good amount of his ridiculous salary on recreational smoking.
06-06-2018 12:32 PM
mustangxc Offline
1st String

I Root For: SMU
To me big money would be anything over $10 million. Hopefully $10-15 million at least. It would definitely be a game changer for our conference as it would help stabilize the conference for the time being and squelch any interest in UConn moving to the Big East.
06-06-2018 01:18 PM
NBPirate Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
(06-06-2018 01:18 PM)mustangxc Wrote:  To me big money would be anything over $10 million. Hopefully $10-15 million at least. It would definitely be a game changer for our conference as it would help stabilize the conference for the time being and squelch any interest in UConn moving to the Big East.

It would also have G4 members banging down our door for an invite and could intice BYU.
06-06-2018 01:35 PM
mikeinoki Online
Gone to Seed

I Root For: JDB
"Big Money"
[Image: big-money.jpg]

We'll get a nice bump and all be happy...until the MWC negotiates a new contract.
06-06-2018 01:44 PM
Advertisement

Attackcoog Offline

(06-06-2018 01:44 PM)mikeinoki Wrote:  "Big Money"

We'll get a nice bump and all be happy...until the MWC negotiates a new contract.

Strange that few mention it---but the MW will be negotiating a new deal at exactly the same time we are. I think the vast majority of the MW schools have concluded that TV late games are killing their attendance and that there isnt likely to be much of an increase in their bext TV deal. Thus, given that Boise gets the lions share of the TV money---and given that the majority of MW schools feel they would make more money by getting their attendance back up---I think they may opt for a streaming option for their next TV deal that places the schools back in charge of the vast majority of their game start times. 04-cheers
06-06-2018 02:54 PM
b0ndsj0ns Offline
Legend

I Root For: ECU
He's setting quite the expectations for the money he's gonna get out of this deal.
06-06-2018 07:56 PM
Huskypride Offline
New Kid on the Block

I Root For: Competitive FB
Great listen!! thanks for posting!!
06-06-2018 08:22 PM
CougarRed Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-06-2018 11:44 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  One interesting side note, he mentions that the Colley Index, which UCF uses to support its national championship claim), is used to determine to conference rank in G5 CFP "performance pool". Its interesting that some of the non-power conference members who come on the AAC Board like to say "nobody pays attention to the Colley index". Well, it would seem thats not entirely true. It turns out the Colley index can apparently be pretty important for those non-power conferences and the AD's and commissioners who can potentially see extra money based on that index.

Colley was part of the BCS poll.

Until this season, Colley and the CFP Committee agreed on the top 4 teams each year.
06-06-2018 08:30 PM
slhNavy91 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Navy
(06-06-2018 02:54 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

Strange that few mention it---but the MW will be negotiating a new deal at exactly the same time we are. I think the vast majority of the MW schools have concluded that TV late games are killing their attendance and that there isnt likely to be much of an increase in their bext TV deal. Thus, given that Boise gets the lions share of the TV money---and given that the majority of MW schools feel they would make more money by getting their attendance back up---I think they may opt for a streaming option for their next TV deal that places the schools back in charge of the vast majority of their game start times. 04-cheers

Yeah, I'm curious as to mikeinoki's thinking that mwc deal will make AAC fans unhappy.
We have 3-4 times the viewers that the mwc does. Other than Boise's fading brand, the chance of filling East coast late night windows is the only appeal they have to TV partners, and it doesn't dictate big $
06-06-2018 08:42 PM
Advertisement

Attackcoog Offline

(06-06-2018 08:42 PM)slhNavy91 Wrote:  
(06-06-2018 02:54 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

Yeah, I'm curious as to mikeinoki's thinking that mwc deal will make AAC fans unhappy.
We have 3-4 times the viewers that the mwc does. Other than Boise's fading brand, the chance of filling East coast late night windows is the only appeal they have to TV partners, and it doesn't dictate big $

And the thing about those late night slots---there is only so much any network is going to pay a G5 to fill a slot when two thirds of the nation has already gone to bed. The economics of filling those slots mean the potential money to be made there has a fairly low ceiling (about 66% lower I would think).
06-06-2018 10:44 PM
KnightLife Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UCF
The American
‏Verified account @American_Conf

Be on the lookout for an in-depth look at The American with Commissioner Mike Aresco - the five-part view series starts on Monday over on our Facebook page.
(This post was last modified: 06-07-2018 03:18 PM by KnightLife.)
06-07-2018 03:16 PM
Huskypride Offline
New Kid on the Block

I Root For: Competitive FB
(06-07-2018 03:16 PM)KnightLife Wrote:  The American
‏Verified account @American_Conf

Be on the lookout for an in-depth look at The American with Commissioner Mike Aresco - the five-part view series starts on Monday over on our Facebook page.

Sounds interesting. I look forward to watching it.
06-07-2018 03:20 PM
panama Offline
Legend

I Root For: Georgia STATE
(06-06-2018 01:35 PM)NBPirate Wrote:  
(06-06-2018 01:18 PM)mustangxc Wrote:  To me big money would be anything over $10 million. Hopefully $10-15 million at least. It would definitely be a game changer for our conference as it would help stabilize the conference for the time being and squelch any interest in UConn moving to the Big East.

It would also have G4 members banging down our door for an invite and could intice BYU.
BYU isn't going anywhere that is not the B12 or PAC

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
06-08-2018 11:16 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.