Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Climate Change Consensus
umbluegray Offline
Legend

I Root For: The Tigers!
Climate Change Consensus
Well, not the kind of consensus the radleft keeps telling us.

Peer-Reviewed Survey Finds Majority Of Scientists Skeptical Of Global Warming Crisis
06-03-2018 06:08 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
RE: Climate Change Consensus
Well that's an Inconvenient truth for Al Gore!
06-03-2018 06:13 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Kronke Offline
Banned

I Root For: Arsenal / StL
Everything the left does or is involved in is a scam.
06-03-2018 06:23 PM
thespiritof1976 Offline
Ancient Alien Theorist

I Root For: Zeti Reticuli
Climate change comes and goes based upon isothermic weather cycles brought upon by solar flare activity. In other words, the universe does what it does.
06-03-2018 06:34 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(06-03-2018 06:08 PM)umbluegray Wrote:  Well, not the kind of consensus the radleft keeps telling us.

Peer-Reviewed Survey Finds Majority Of Scientists Skeptical Of Global Warming Crisis

Even the National Geographic alarmists admitted that those who knew the most were as likely to be members of the climate change cult as they were to be skeptics.
06-03-2018 07:25 PM
Jjoey52 Offline
All American

I Root For: ISU
Climate Change Consensus
The left is about doing and/or saying anything to get votes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
06-03-2018 08:34 PM
Advertisement

Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Common Sense
This board is full of lunatics.
06-03-2018 09:39 PM
thespiritof1976 Offline
Ancient Alien Theorist

I Root For: Zeti Reticuli
(06-03-2018 09:39 PM)Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Wrote:  This board is full of lunatics.

Thanks, man. Appreciate the kind words....

[Image: 8868eb0ad5afd9977bf752b4f89e39f0.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 06-03-2018 09:42 PM by thespiritof1976.)
06-03-2018 09:41 PM
Kronke Offline
Banned

I Root For: Arsenal / StL
(06-03-2018 09:39 PM)Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Wrote:  This board is full of lunatics.

no u
06-03-2018 10:08 PM
JMUDunk Online
Rootin' fer Dukes, bud

I Root For: Freedom
Climate Change Consensus
(06-03-2018 06:23 PM)Kronke Wrote:  Everything the left does or is involved in is a scam.

Some *ahem* called this from day -20 yrs ago.

The big blue marble is constantly changing, always has been, and we know less about where we live than we do about the moon.

I’ve spent time in the ocean basin that is uhhhhh, West Texas? Alpine, Marathon, Sul Ross? And that’s “young” in relative terms.

These new age clods like albore and his hysterical daughter, or the idiot actors and actresses that play other people on tv and read other people’s work so they can fuel their private jets...

Yea, well.

Go outside. Do some actual yard work. Look around for a change instead of just telling your driver where to take you to the next Pinot and tiny sandwiches get together.

More useful idiots. Amazing
(This post was last modified: 06-03-2018 10:24 PM by JMUDunk.)
06-03-2018 10:21 PM
Fort Bend Owl Offline
Legend

I Root For: An easy win
The Parliament Awards

The only accurate response to this thread thus far. Especially because the article is over 5 years old and the OP probably has no idea of that fact.

ETA - BTW if you want to see what has happened in the world since this article came out, you can click on this link. The 4 hottest years on record have happened since 2013. Maybe it's time for a new study?

http://www.climatecentral.org/gallery/gr...-on-record
(This post was last modified: 06-03-2018 10:58 PM by Fort Bend Owl.)
06-03-2018 10:41 PM
Advertisement

JMUDunk Online
Rootin' fer Dukes, bud

I Root For: Freedom
(06-03-2018 10:41 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  

The only accurate response to this thread thus far. Especially because the article is over 5 years old and the OP probably has no idea of that fact.

ETA - BTW if you want to see what has happened in the world since this article came out, you can click on this link. The 4 hottest years on record have happened since 2013. Maybe it's time for a new study?

Lol.

Errrrr, what "record"?

Does this date back to the Pleistocene? Big Bang? Pompeii? Last August?

"You can fool all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time."

Rings truer today than perhaps ever.
06-03-2018 11:30 PM
TechRocks Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tech
(06-03-2018 10:21 PM)JMUDunk Wrote:  
(06-03-2018 06:23 PM)Kronke Wrote:  Everything the left does or is involved in is a scam.

Some *ahem* called this from day -20 yrs ago.

The big blue marble is constantly changing, always has been, and we know less about where we live than we do about the moon.

I’ve spent time in the ocean basin that is uhhhhh, West Texas? Alpine, Marathon, Sul Ross? And that’s “young” in relative terms.

These new age clods like albore and his hysterical daughter, or the idiot actors and actresses that play other people on tv and read other people’s work so they can fuel their private jets...

Yea, well.

Go outside. Do some actual yard work. Look around for a change instead of just telling your driver where to take you to the next Pinot and tiny sandwiches get together.

More useful idiots. Amazing

Alpine? I visted there once but all I got was one of these.

[Image: aoudad-sheep-3.png]
06-03-2018 11:36 PM
58-56 Offline
Blazer Revolutionary

I Root For: Fire Ray Watts

BlazerTalk Award

Looks like someone didn't bother to read the actual paper before shouting Yeee Haw:

http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10....0612463317

Here's the money quote, for those who don't, you know, read:

To address this, we reconstruct the frames of one group of experts who have not received much attention in previous research and yet play a central role in understanding industry responses – professional experts in petroleum and related industries.

Yeah, that's what it says: It's a survey of oil company employees.

Probably a good place to quote Upton Sinclair:

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it."

Fish in a barrel.
06-03-2018 11:40 PM
450bench Online

I Root For: Memphis
It gets hot in the summer, cool in the fall, cold in the winter and then warms up in spring.
Only the left can attempt to exploit nature....
06-04-2018 06:31 AM
Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

I Root For: ECU
An opinion piece from 2013 is not the smoking gun you're looking for.

Look, for my entire life there have been climate alarmists, first warning of a coming ice age, then saying Miami would be underwater by 2020. Clearly, all off base. But I also don't get the anti-climate changers... there's no harm in trying to reduce the impact we have.
06-04-2018 07:26 AM
Advertisement

BadgerMJ Offline
All American

I Root For: Wisconsin / ND
There's actually two separate issues.

1) The climate IS changing. It's constantly changing. It's changed numerous times over the 4.5 billion years the Earth has been around. It will continue to change. That's not really the question. The question is #2.

2) Is the changing climate a result of HUMAN BEHAVIOR. If you look at the issue with logic, you'll realize the changes the climate makes/has made over the years from warming to ice ages had NOTHING to do with the SUV, running your A/C, or burning coal. Knowing this, it is the height or arrogance to think that humans can do anything about something that's been happening on a regular basis for 4.5 billion years.

The global/climate/warming/change crowd is guilty of the same thing they claim the petroleum companies are, MONEY. If it's proved that humans have NOTHING to do with the "change", they stand to lose, what, BILLIONS of dollars in "research" grants and investments. How many people who've invested heavily in "green" energy would lose their backsides if their forced regulations and markets dried up? The enviro-nuts always say follow the money. I say right back at ya.
06-04-2018 07:28 AM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(06-04-2018 07:28 AM)BadgerMJ Wrote:  There's actually two separate issues.
1) The climate IS changing. It's constantly changing. It's changed numerous times over the 4.5 billion years the Earth has been around. It will continue to change. That's not really the question. The question is #2.
2) Is the changing climate a result of HUMAN BEHAVIOR. If you look at the issue with logic, you'll realize the changes the climate makes/has made over the years from warming to ice ages had NOTHING to do with the SUV, running your A/C, or burning coal. Knowing this, it is the height or arrogance to think that humans can do anything about something that's been happening on a regular basis for 4.5 billion years.
The global/climate/warming/change crowd is guilty of the same thing they claim the petroleum companies are, MONEY. If it's proved that humans have NOTHING to do with the "change", they stand to lose, what, BILLIONS of dollars in "research" grants and investments. How many people who've invested heavily in "green" energy would lose their backsides if their forced regulations and markets dried up? The enviro-nuts always say follow the money. I say right back at ya.

There's also a #3 and #4l, and a corollary #5:
3) Human behavior can change sufficiently to have a material impact.
4) If the trend is not reversed by human behavior, the impact will be catastrophic.
5) Therefore, we must take drastic action immediately, regardless of consequences.

I agree with your analysis of 1 and 2. Climate is changing, but the extent to which humans are responsible is unclear. 3 and 4 are both far more uncertain than 2.

The global warming people want to jump directly from #1 to #5, without establishing the intermediate steps 2, 3, and 4. They'll debate #2 a bit, but they don't like to have to prove 3 or 4. And without them, you don't get to 5.

I think 2, 3, and 4 might be true. And the probability of that might is that we should be taking reasonable steps to reduce carbon emissions. But that doesn't mean that any effort to reduce emissions is automatically King's X over any alternative. Evaluate the positives and negatives, the costs and benefits, and determine both realistically and objectively. Then do all those things where the benefits exceed the costs, and none of the ones where they don't.
06-04-2018 10:33 AM
umbluegray Offline
Legend

I Root For: The Tigers!
(06-03-2018 11:40 PM)58-56 Wrote:  

Looks like someone didn't bother to read the actual paper before shouting Yeee Haw:

http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10....0612463317

Here's the money quote, for those who don't, you know, read:

To address this, we reconstruct the frames of one group of experts who have not received much attention in previous research and yet play a central role in understanding industry responses – professional experts in petroleum and related industries.

Yeah, that's what it says: It's a survey of oil company employees.

Probably a good place to quote Upton Sinclair:

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it."

Fish in a barrel.

So you're implying that scientific or technical input must be filtered by the source of that information? And that certain "sources" may or may not be independent or objective?
06-04-2018 10:45 AM
BadgerMJ Offline
All American

I Root For: Wisconsin / ND
(06-04-2018 10:33 AM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  
(06-04-2018 07:28 AM)BadgerMJ Wrote:  There's actually two separate issues.

There's also a #3 and #4l, and a corollary #5:
3) Human behavior can change sufficiently to have a material impact.
4) If the trend is not reversed by human behavior, the impact will be catastrophic.
5) Therefore, we must take drastic action immediately, regardless of consequences.

I agree with your analysis of 1 and 2. Climate is changing, but the extent to which humans are responsible is unclear. 3 and 4 are both far more uncertain than 2.

The global warming people want to jump directly from #1 to #5, without establishing the intermediate steps 2, 3, and 4. They'll debate #2 a bit, but they don't like to have to prove 3 or 4. And without them, you don't get to 5.

I think 2, 3, and 4 might be true. And the probability of that might is that we should be taking reasonable steps to reduce carbon emissions. But that doesn't mean that any effort to reduce emissions is automatically King's X over any alternative. Evaluate the positives and negatives, the costs and benefits, and determine both realistically and objectively. Then do all those things where the benefits exceed the costs, and none of the ones where they don't.

And therein lies the problem I have with the climate crowd. The jury is still out and the science is FAR from conclusive that humans are having an effect let alone a catastrophic one.

This doesn't stop them from demanding that we MUST make drastic changes that will have potentially disastrous effects on society, our economy, and our way of life. Before we alter the course of human civilization, I'd like to have more proof than Algore's hockey stick graph.

There's nothing wrong with encouraging development of more efficient and cleaner energy sources but it shouldn't be mandated. Until there's a discovery made that uses cheap, easy, and abundant energy, we have to rely on fossil fuels. No sense pushing the "alternatives" until they're ready to step up. Sorry, but a plug in car that only goes 300 miles (under perfect conditions) that takes 8 hours to recharge the battery isn't ready to replace the car.

The other issue I have with the climate crew is that they refuse to even consider anything that doesn't fit their agenda. Just mention natural gas and they immediately dismiss the cheap, clean, and easy because they don't want pipelines "disturbing nature". It's there way or the highway.
06-04-2018 11:21 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.