5. Akron - 7.738
6. Central Michigan - 6.923
7. Toledo - 6.833
8. Ball State - 6.750
9. Buffalo - 6.071
10. Ohio - 5.083
11. Northern Illinois - 4.881
12. Bowling Green - 4.083
(This post was last modified: 05-30-2018 09:44 PM by HuronDave.)
05-30-2018 09:43 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
RE: EMU wins fifth Reese Trophy as MAC's top men's program
It's amazing that only 5 or 6 MAC schools compete in some of these Sports.
05-31-2018 07:14 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BullBoy Offline
1st String

I Root For: Buffalo
This is not to take anything away from EMU or what they accomplished this year, but they won this award based solely on their Cross Country and Track and Field program. They won three MAC titles there and that is what catapulted them to the top of the list. It is still an outstanding honor for them
05-31-2018 10:16 AM
Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

I Root For: NIU
(05-31-2018 10:16 AM)BullBoy Wrote:  This is not to take anything away from EMU or what they accomplished this year, but they won this award based solely on their Cross Country and Track and Field program. They won three MAC titles there and that is what catapulted them to the top of the list. It is still an outstanding honor for them

That's how it works.

That's also why Stanford wins the overall award every year. Many high performing non-revenue sports.
05-31-2018 10:24 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
(05-31-2018 10:24 AM)Lord Stanley Wrote:  
(05-31-2018 10:16 AM)BullBoy Wrote:  This is not to take anything away from EMU or what they accomplished this year, but they won this award based solely on their Cross Country and Track and Field program. They won three MAC titles there and that is what catapulted them to the top of the list. It is still an outstanding honor for them

That's how it works.

That's also why Stanford wins the overall award every year. Many high performing non-revenue sports.

We lose men's S&D for 2018/9 which will hurt.

We expect to do better than 3rd in MBB and may improve in football (that is TBD) for the upcoming season.
05-31-2018 10:30 AM
masttg Offline
1st String

I Root For: EMU
(05-31-2018 10:24 AM)Lord Stanley Wrote:  

That's how it works.

This is an over-simplification. Both wrestling and MBB ended up third in their conference tourneys. Also, the point system is an average--not a total. EMU had highly competitive Men's teams this year.
05-31-2018 10:32 AM
Advertisement

ColinApocalypse Offline

I Root For: WMU
We're number 2! We're number 2!

02-13-banana

Wait, didn't EMU just shut down a couple of programs? It seems strange to be winning awards after that.
05-31-2018 12:37 PM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo R0ckets
CMU is pretty far down the list. How long can the MAC continue to carry them?
06-01-2018 06:45 AM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

“Solely”? If they had not scored points in any other sport they would not have won. So, maybe, “largely”, but certainly not “solely”. They took second in swimming and third in basketball so of the ten men’s sports they were top 3 in half and don’t compete in some others like soccer and football 03-wink. Pretty good all-around success. Not their fault that the running sports are, by far, the most popular and require three separate seasons to fully do them justice.
(This post was last modified: 06-01-2018 06:59 AM by H2Oville Rocket.)
06-01-2018 06:59 AM
masttg Offline
1st String

I Root For: EMU
(06-01-2018 06:59 AM)H2Oville Rocket Wrote:  

“Solely”? If they had not scored points in any other sport they would not have won. So, maybe, “largely”, but certainly not “solely”. They took second in swimming and third in basketball so of the ten men’s sports they were top 3 in half and don’t compete in some others like soccer and football 03-wink. Pretty good all-around success. Not their fault that the running sports are, by far, the most popular and require three separate seasons to fully do them justice.

I see what you did there! 01-lauramac2
06-01-2018 08:19 AM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

(06-01-2018 08:19 AM)masttg Wrote:  
(06-01-2018 06:59 AM)H2Oville Rocket Wrote:  

I see what you did there! 01-lauramac2

Oooops.
06-01-2018 09:17 AM
Advertisement

emu steve Offline
Legend

EMU in its 'infinite' wisdom (foresight) decided (not sure that is the right word, though) decades ago to create storied track and field/cross country programs which would allow us to max out the voting in things like the Reese Trophy competition.

But yes this year EMU won the "Triple Crown" in those three sports and it is hard to beat that.
(This post was last modified: 06-01-2018 09:36 AM by emu steve.)
06-01-2018 09:33 AM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

(06-01-2018 09:33 AM)emu steve Wrote:  EMU in its 'infinite' wisdom (foresight) decided (not sure that is the right word, though) decades ago to create storied track and field/cross country programs which would allow us to max out the voting in things like the Reese Trophy competition.

But yes this year EMU won the "Triple Crown" in those three sports and it is hard to beat that.

I ran against Haisley Crawford, Ron DeVries and that lot in the early 70s and EMU was very good then.
06-01-2018 10:45 AM
NIUfilmmaker Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU!
Yay?

Football attendance (actual/visual, not fudged) is still the embarrassment of the league, FCS at best.

The occasional plastic trophy for sports of lesser-impotance sports does not make EMU any less of a turd in the MAC punchbowl.
(This post was last modified: 06-08-2018 10:33 AM by NIUfilmmaker.)
06-08-2018 10:31 AM
axeme Offline
Sage

I Root For: hoops

Folding@NCAAbbsDonatorsCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
The embarrassment is that we have fans that pay more attention to and talk about attendance more than they do the actual sports. Thread upon thread on here about attendance, mostly negative about some school other than their own, and very few threads that discuss the actual games. The irony is that even the best attendance in this conference would be laughable at most FBS schools.
06-08-2018 12:37 PM
DocBluez Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For:
(06-08-2018 12:37 PM)axeme Wrote:  The embarrassment is that we have fans that pay more attention to and talk about attendance more than they do the actual sports. Thread upon thread on here about attendance, mostly negative about some school other than their own, and very few threads that discuss the actual games. The irony is that even the best attendance in this conference would be laughable at most FBS schools.

04-bow04-bow
06-08-2018 12:45 PM
Advertisement

ilovegymnast Offline
All American

I Root For: Kent State
I like the idea of having a sell out game every week but in reality I am selfish and enjoy my space. I hate being crowded so I prefer a 2/3 full stadium. Again that is just me being selfish and my hatred of long lines, traffic, annoying side conversations and being cramped.
06-08-2018 09:21 PM
Bronco'14 Offline
WMU

I Root For: WMU Broncos
This is why I don't mind Eastern Michigan in the Conference and why the Conference won't kick them out.

As I've become more interested in WMU's non-revenue sports (especially thanks to men's tennis and men's soccer this year), it really makes me wish WMU would consistently win this award.

Non-revenue sports are very important.
06-10-2018 10:05 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

My only 'problem' is that Ypsilanti never had a celebration like this for the Reese Trophy...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/reli...1229b13494

Everyone sang "We are the champions."

Maybe next year in Ypsilanti. 03-lmfao
(This post was last modified: 06-11-2018 09:05 AM by emu steve.)
06-11-2018 09:05 AM
rocketinchitown Offline
1st String

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
Someone calling another school's attendance an embarrassment when their's is just as bad.

(06-08-2018 10:31 AM)NIUfilmmaker Wrote:  Yay?

Football attendance (actual/visual, not fudged) is still the embarrassment of the league, FCS at best.

The occasional plastic trophy for sports of lesser-impotance sports does not make EMU any less of a turd in the MAC punchbowl.
06-12-2018 10:01 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.