Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

High Protein Diets Linked to higher risks of Heart Disease
miko33 Offline
Defender of Honesty and Integrity

I Root For: Alma Mater
High Protein Diets Linked to higher risks of Heart Disease
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2018...ein-study/

Quote:The Atkins diet may raise the risk of fatal heart disease, according to a new study.

Analysis of more than 2,440 men found that those with a high protein intake faced a 33 per cent increased risk of developing heart failure, where the organ is unable to pump sufficient blood and oxygen around the body.

The Atkins diet is the best known of a range of popular commercial regimes claiming to help people lose weight by embracing low-carbohydrate, high-protein eating.

My guess is protein alone is not the culprit. It's probably related to the fats ingested from the animal protein sources - probably an imbalance of Omega 6 fatty acids and a lack of Omega 3 fatty acids if I had to venture a guess. Also, could be that the HDL and LDL cholesterol plus triglycerides were spiked - though high HDL is supposed to be good for you. I never subscribed to Atkins diet since it looks like it went overboard with excluding carbs; however, I currently try to eat a higher level of protein and less carbs.
05-29-2018 03:16 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

I Root For: Southern Miss

Survivor Champion
RE: High Protein Diets Linked to higher risks of Heart Disease
Well people see high protein and they go for red meat and pork. They ignore lean meats like poultry and fish. There has to be a happy balance.
05-29-2018 03:21 PM
EverRespect Online
Free Kaplony

I Root For: ODU
I guess the only thing left is soy milk and tofu. You'll grow breasts and your dick will shrivel away, but very low risk of a heart attack.
05-29-2018 03:31 PM
UofMTigerTim Offline
1st String

I Root For:
I think genetics and environmental exposure has more to do with heart disease than your diet or your cholesterol levels.

Even ancient man had heart disease.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk...8ca191f9ed
(This post was last modified: 05-29-2018 03:33 PM by UofMTigerTim.)
05-29-2018 03:33 PM
gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

Survivor Champion
(05-29-2018 03:33 PM)UofMTigerTim Wrote:  I think genetics and environmental exposure has more to do with heart disease than your diet or your cholesterol levels.

Even ancient man had heart disease.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk...8ca191f9ed

I can see that too. I think while genetics play a part in it, some of it is on you. You can't eat fast food for 8 meals a week, another 8 eat just terrible stuff, and the last 8 eat healthy. That's not balance. We're not discussing the snacks or the drinks consumed either.

Everything plays a part. But we can try to lessen the damage as long as we stay away from the bad stuff.
05-29-2018 03:36 PM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
It's genetics. You busy body freaks quit telling us what to eat.

http://articles.latimes.com/1994-10-17/n...ry-disease

Bunch of naggers
(This post was last modified: 05-29-2018 05:08 PM by shere khan.)
05-29-2018 05:05 PM
Advertisement

Hambone10 Offline
Hooter

I Root For: My Kids

New Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
chicken, fish and veggies are generally a good thing

The problem is people who weigh 500 pounds for whom 'regular' diets don't work who try diets like Atkins because they can eat many of the things they're already eating... and they eat way too much of them

Atkins is not in any way forgiving for about 2-4 weeks. It is hard core and difficult to get into ketosis and if you're not in ketosis and yet consuming tons of fats, you're actually harming your body...

People often cheat (sometimes unknowingly) and then blame the diet

If you're going to do an Atkins type diet, buy some ketosticks
(This post was last modified: 05-29-2018 05:38 PM by Hambone10.)
05-29-2018 05:36 PM
gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

Survivor Champion
(05-29-2018 05:05 PM)shere khan Wrote:  It's genetics. You busy body freaks quit telling us what to eat.

Bunch of naggers
How dare you. We nag cause we care.
05-29-2018 06:10 PM
gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

Survivor Champion
(05-29-2018 05:36 PM)Hambone10 Wrote:  chicken, fish and veggies are generally a good thing

The problem is people who weigh 500 pounds for whom 'regular' diets don't work who try diets like Atkins because they can eat many of the things they're already eating... and they eat way too much of them

Atkins is not in any way forgiving for about 2-4 weeks. It is hard core and difficult to get into ketosis and if you're not in ketosis and yet consuming tons of fats, you're actually harming your body...

Ketosticks?
05-29-2018 06:10 PM
GrayBeard Offline
Whiny Troll

I Root For: My Kids & ECU

Crappies
(05-29-2018 06:10 PM)gdunn Wrote:  
(05-29-2018 05:36 PM)Hambone10 Wrote:  chicken, fish and veggies are generally a good thing

Ketosticks?

LOL...Keto. Another over the top obsession like cross fit.

Hey people...Eat Healthy, exercise regularly, and watch your stress levels.
05-29-2018 06:14 PM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

(05-29-2018 06:10 PM)gdunn Wrote:  

Ketosticks?
Yeah. The come in a pill bottle. About 2 inches long. Have a chemical coating on the end that detects the enzyme that is produced when your body enters ketosis and is converting body fat and protein into glucose. Eliminate sugar from your diet and the body makes s chemical flip over to convert body fat and protein into sugar in the absence of carbs. Ever wonder how Eskimos survived without fruits and veggies. If you don't eat a ton of protein your body uses muscle and body fat to make glucose. No glucose, no brain, no brain, no chance. Evolutionary survival mechanism. Prevent muscle wasting through eating protien.

Couple hundred test strips for under ten dollars at pharmacy. Turn em red you are burning fat. It's chemistry.

If you are fat your body is too efficient.

Enjoy the land of plenty, go eat a donut and tell people to eff off.
(This post was last modified: 05-29-2018 06:22 PM by shere khan.)
05-29-2018 06:16 PM
Advertisement

stinkfist Online
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
(05-29-2018 05:05 PM)shere khan Wrote:  It's genetics. You busy body freaks quit telling us what to eat.

Bunch of naggers

piss on all those nutritional fanatics....

my diet for the past 40 yrs would make most people vomit....

calories in/calories out and genetics......

what you end up learning as you age is what 'not to eat' so you don't have to perform the 'arsehole row-row move when constipated or jump in the shower when she gets a tad bloody.....

lmao......I ain't right.....
05-29-2018 06:22 PM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

(05-29-2018 06:22 PM)stinkfist Wrote:  

Bunch of naggers

what you end up learning as you age is what 'not to eat' so you don't have to perform the 'arsehole row-row move when constipated or jump in the shower when she gets a tad bloody.....

Starve yourself to death, walk out tomorrow and get run over by idiot rushing to get a Starbucks.

As long as you're getting laid, wgaf.

Meh. We got it figured out.
(This post was last modified: 05-29-2018 06:27 PM by shere khan.)
05-29-2018 06:27 PM
stinkfist Online

(05-29-2018 06:27 PM)shere khan Wrote:  

Bunch of naggers

Starve yourself to death, walk out tomorrow and get run over by idiot rushing to get a Starbucks.

COGSCOGSCOGS

[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=5879412]

I shite you not......after my 2nd version of 4:20, I cooked 4 ears of corn fresh from the field and a 1lb of whole okra in a 1.5 slabs of butter and and shiteload of salt and crab boil.....it wasn't about a balancing act.....it was simply due to the kind lady that shows up every day at an intersection I pass by almost daily.....

she reminds me of my grammy that ALWAYS had a full variety to choose from when I was a tyke.......

hell, tomorrow it might be 30 oz. of medium rare ribeye that will also see quite a bit of butter and salt....

I no longer have a grammy or a wife, but have a stove and a grill that makes an old guy happy..........lol......
(This post was last modified: 05-29-2018 06:58 PM by stinkfist.)
05-29-2018 06:45 PM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

(05-29-2018 06:45 PM)stinkfist Wrote:  

Bunch of naggers

COGSCOGSCOGS

I shite you not......after my 2nd version of 4:20, I cooked 4 ears of corn fresh from the field and a 1lb of whole okra in a 1.5 slabs of butter and and shiteload of salt and crab boil.....it wasn't about a balancing act.....it was simply due to the kind lady that shows up every day at an intersection I pass by almost daily.....

she reminds me of my grammy that ALWAYS had a full variety to choose from when I was a tyke.......

hell, tomorrow it might be 30 oz. of medium rare ribeye that will also see quite a bit of butter and salt....

I no longer have a grammy or a wife, but have a stove and a grill that makes an old guy happy..........lol......
Damn that sounds good except for the okra. If there were one thing to make me think god hates me it would be my allergy to okra. Of all things. Eat a good helping of fried okra and it leaves faster than it arrived. A little bit of okra in gumbo and I survive it otherwise, just damn. Why couldn't it have been beets. Lol

Googled it.. not an allergy. Sensitivity to slolanine. Go figure.
(This post was last modified: 05-29-2018 07:14 PM by shere khan.)
05-29-2018 07:08 PM
Attackcoog Online

I Root For: Houston
(05-29-2018 03:16 PM)miko33 Wrote:  https://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2018...ein-study/

Quote:The Atkins diet may raise the risk of fatal heart disease, according to a new study.

Analysis of more than 2,440 men found that those with a high protein intake faced a 33 per cent increased risk of developing heart failure, where the organ is unable to pump sufficient blood and oxygen around the body.

The Atkins diet is the best known of a range of popular commercial regimes claiming to help people lose weight by embracing low-carbohydrate, high-protein eating.

My guess is protein alone is not the culprit. It's probably related to the fats ingested from the animal protein sources - probably an imbalance of Omega 6 fatty acids and a lack of Omega 3 fatty acids if I had to venture a guess. Also, could be that the HDL and LDL cholesterol plus triglycerides were spiked - though high HDL is supposed to be good for you. I never subscribed to Atkins diet since it looks like it went overboard with excluding carbs; however, I currently try to eat a higher level of protein and less carbs.

Right. The high protein/low carb diets are based on avoiding the insulin spikes that come with high intakes of processed carbs. But hgh protein diets vary. For instance, Atkins allows lots of fat to be consumed with the high protein consumption. Atkins is just about avoiding carbs. The South Beach diet uses the same avoidance of insulin spikes by following a high protein/low carb diet, but it preaches leaner protein sources in a effort to moderate fat intake.
(This post was last modified: 05-29-2018 07:19 PM by Attackcoog.)
05-29-2018 07:18 PM
Advertisement

stinkfist Online

(05-29-2018 07:08 PM)shere khan Wrote:  
(05-29-2018 06:45 PM)stinkfist Wrote:  

Bunch of naggers

COGSCOGSCOGS

Damn that sounds good except for the okra. If there were one thing to make me think god hates me it would be my allergy to okra. Of all things. Eat a good helping of fried okra and it leaves faster than it arrived. A little bit of okra in gumbo and I survive it otherwise, just damn. Why couldn't it have been beets. Lol

Googled it.. not an allergy. Sensitivity to slolanine. Go figure.

I'm almost to the point where all 'flour' based are a problem.....bread has always been fave....

toss in I'm out in the field during pollen season and allergic to every grass/weed pollen on the planet, and you can imagine how fun it is to gorge after suffering at least one sneeze festival during the day........

breathing used to be a cool thing taken for granted....

#allergiessuckballs
05-29-2018 07:48 PM
stinkfist Online

(05-29-2018 07:18 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(05-29-2018 03:16 PM)miko33 Wrote:  https://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2018...ein-study/

Right. The high protein/low carb diets are based on avoiding the insulin spikes that come with high intakes of processed carbs. But hgh protein diets vary. For instance, Atkins allows lots of fat to be consumed with the high protein consumption. Atkins is just about avoiding carbs. The South Beach diet uses the same avoidance of insulin spikes by following a high protein/low carb diet, but it preaches leaner protein sources in a effort to moderate fat intake.

serious question......have you ever done Atkins???

I have......you first....

whether you respond or not, I'll give my take on that one....
05-29-2018 07:51 PM
Attackcoog Online

I Root For: Houston
(05-29-2018 07:51 PM)stinkfist Wrote:  

serious question......have you ever done Atkins???

I have......you first....

whether you respond or not, I'll give my take on that one....

Not really. I did S Beach for a while maybe 15 years ago. It worked pretty well. I still do a modified version these days. lol....Whenever my pants start getting snug, I exercise a bit more, cut out sweets, and do a low effort S Beach type diet ( by that I mean I dont do the two weeks with absolutely no carbs part--I jump immediately to stage 2 where you can have certain carbs). I passed on Atkins because it just sounded like a good way to buy yourself a cardiac stent.
(This post was last modified: 05-29-2018 08:19 PM by Attackcoog.)
05-29-2018 08:15 PM
q5sys Offline
1st String

I Root For: MIT & USAFA

The other key point that a bunch of people relying on high protein diets fail to realize is that there is an upper limit of how much protein you should eat.

The upper limit is usually just under 1 grams of protein per kg of body weight for a normal active person. If your physical activity is much higher, you can intake a much higher level of protein. But if someone thinks they can sit on their ass watch movies all day and eat two pounds of meat a day and not gain weight... they're fooling themselves.

If you eat more than your bodies requirements of protein, you body will actually metabolize the remaining protein into sugar, through a process called gluconeogenesis.
If you eat too much protein you're ending in the same spot as if you just ate sugar.
(This post was last modified: 05-29-2018 08:38 PM by q5sys.)
05-29-2018 08:35 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.