18 Montana
19 Northern Iowa
20 North Carolina A&T
21 Youngstown State
22 Austin Peay
23 Sacramento State
24 Central Arkansas
25 Stony Brook

The only projected 1st team All American for JMU is Rashad Robinson though they say Jimmy Moreland and Rashad Robinson may be the best set of Cornerback's in the nation.
(This post was last modified: 05-26-2018 07:55 PM by Jeremybozz.)
05-26-2018 07:53 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

jmu007 Online
All American

I Root For: JMU
RE: Athlon football preview has JMU #2 in the nation:
Weber too low, unh too high, surprise Richmond is absent.
05-26-2018 09:38 PM
Jeremybozz Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: JMU,WVU.
Richmond is not even listed in the 7 additional teams to watch.
(This post was last modified: 05-26-2018 10:06 PM by Jeremybozz.)
05-26-2018 09:50 PM
JMUNation Offline
All American

Elon is a team to watch this year. UR minus its NFL QB likely will not be better than last year. UNH as #3? Why? Villanova #11? Why does Stony fall to #25?

Six CAA teams in the top 25.
05-26-2018 10:13 PM
jmu007 Online
All American

Stoney lost a lot to graduation. I believe top RB and LT both gone.
05-26-2018 10:43 PM
Lyric Offline
2nd String

UNH is way overrated (I don't really care what they return, they just weren't that impressive). Eastern Washington at #6 is pretty bold, considering they didn't even make the playoffs last year. Sammy and Jacksonville st. are way overrated, as usual. Richmond not making the list seems premature (they did advance to the quarterfinals two years ago despite losing their star QB to a knee injury in the final week of the regular season, so who knows, maybe their next in line will have plenty of success with a full offseason to prepare. Year two under a new head coach will likely also be better than year one). Villanova entered last season with a strong team but got decimated by season-ending injuries early on, so don't let last year's record fool you. I'd put Weber 3/4, probably ahead of South Dakota St.
05-26-2018 10:55 PM
Advertisement

Potomac Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: James Madison
Athlon football preview has JMU #2 in the nation:
I disagree with a lot of this poll just about top to bottom. They went a little TOO out on a limb with some of these movements both up and down in rank. I get that they’re likely projecting an end of regular season ranking for 2018 when they do this.
05-27-2018 07:02 AM
JMUNation Offline
All American

SDSU lost their TE to the NFL. Did the WR graduate or was he a Junior? ThenQB is back.

NDSU graduated their NFL prospect LB but they were pretty young if I remember correctly. With all the Seniors we had on D, we should have beaten them. Our WRs just killed us in the NC game. I am still hurting over that loss.

I look for Richmond to become more of an option style offense with their new QB and head coach in his second year. Traditionally they were a pro style offense under a Danny boy.

Those are two big graduations for SB but I look for them to remain at the top of the CAA now that they have been in the league for awhile. Elon had maybe 3 Seniors last year and not a lot of Juniors either. Our family weekend game on Oct. 6th might determine who wins the CAA this year.

UNH, NOVA and UR have been traditional powers in our league but I am looking for them to fall to the middle of the pack while Elon, Albany, Stony and UD all become better. The first three of these schools have finally gotten to the point where they have been in the league long enough to have all CAA caliber players. At UD, I feel Danny Boy is among the better coaches at our level. He will bring UD back to the top of the league.
05-27-2018 07:08 AM
Lyric Offline
2nd String

(05-27-2018 07:08 AM)JMUNation Wrote:  SDSU lost their TE to the NFL. Did the WR graduate or was he a Junior? ThenQB is back.

NDSU graduated their NFL prospect LB but they were pretty young if I remember correctly. With all the Seniors we had on D, we should have beaten them. Our WRs just killed us in the NC game. I am still hurting over that loss.

I look for Richmond to become more of an option style offense with their new QB and head coach in his second year. Traditionally they were a pro style offense under a Danny boy.

Those are two big graduations for SB but I look for them to remain at the top of the CAA now that they have been in the league for awhile. Elon had maybe 3 Seniors last year and not a lot of Juniors either. Our family weekend game on Oct. 6th might determine who wins the CAA this year.

UNH, NOVA and UR have been traditional powers in our league but I am looking for them to fall to the middle of the pack while Elon, Albany, Stony and UD all become better. The first three of these schools have finally gotten to the point where they have been in the league long enough to have all CAA caliber players. At UD, I feel Danny Boy is among the better coaches at our level. He will bring UD back to the top of the league.

Yep, South Dakota state lost their star WR too. They might also be too high, considering they didn’t seem to have much else. Sure, the QB returns, and I know I must have seen his worst game ever, but losing those receiving targets is going to hurt.

I believe Delaware got a transfer QB from Boston College that their fans seem excited about, and I’ve always felt they were even an average QB away from being a good team, so their ranking seems plausible. They miss playing us the next two seasons, but they play NDSU instead. I guess it would have been truly unfortunate for them to have had to play us both.

NDSU will continue to be NDSU. They should be the clear favorite right now.
(This post was last modified: 05-27-2018 09:55 AM by Lyric.)
05-27-2018 09:53 AM
Anders Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU, Boston Col
After taking another look at the schedule we have some of our tougher conference games on the road. We are playing @UR, @Nova, and @UNH. This might be just what we need again to prepare the newer guys for the tournament again.
05-27-2018 10:14 AM
DirtyDukes Offline
All American

I Root For: Dukes, bud!
(05-27-2018 10:14 AM)Anders Wrote:  @UR

That's a homegame bro, Bridgeforth East
05-27-2018 10:16 AM
Advertisement

Anders Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU, Boston Col
(05-27-2018 10:16 AM)DirtyDukes Wrote:  
(05-27-2018 10:14 AM)Anders Wrote:  @UR

That's a homegame bro, Bridgeforth East

Of those three that's the game I'm the least nervous and most excited to be there for 02-13-banana Always great to see the UR fans in my family get bumped down a peg
05-27-2018 10:18 AM
HyperDuke Offline
Hall of Famer

Anders, let us know if you need a new family due to RU infestation. We can help.
05-27-2018 11:21 AM
bobbyjmu Offline
Special Teams

Oh So Soft Houston still in top 10, what a joke
05-27-2018 11:25 AM
BDKJMU Offline
Heisman

(05-27-2018 07:08 AM)JMUNation Wrote:  SDSU lost their TE to the NFL. Did the WR graduate or was he a Junior? ThenQB is back.

SDSU lost the TE and WR to the NFL. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say 2nd place in the MVFC will be ILSU..

Game notes NDSU started 8 seniors vs JMU - they lose 3 AAs- OG, LB, Safety. + they lose that stud DT. They do get their pre season AA DE back who missed the whole season. Think they'll do their usual of going 10-1/7-1 (their 7 year run have gone 7-1 in the MVFC 6 times, 8-0 once).

Last year SB was way underrated preseason when they were picked bottom half of the league preseason, since they returned more All CAA than anyone else. I said so last year and had them as a dark horse for 2nd place.
-They finished 9-2/7-1. But regular season they missed JMU and Elon. So they only beat 1 playoff team regular season- UNH by 3 at home. But they also lost to non playoff UD at home.
-They lost more all All CAA & NFL UDFA/rookie minicamps than anyone outside of JMU. All 8 starters lost were All CAA, 3 of whom were NFL UDFA, 2 were rookie minicamps.
1st team All CAA/AA OT Timon Parris, UDFA Redskins. (DNP vs JMU)
1st team All CAA WR Ray Bolden- UDFA Eagles. (DNP vs JMU)
1st team All CAA RB Stacey Bedell- Rookie tryout 49ers.
2nd team All CAA S Chris Cooper- UDFA Colts
2nd team All CAA DL Ousmane Camara
3rd team All CAA CB Travon Reid-Segure
3rd team All CAA S Darin Peart
3rd team All CAA LB Tyrice Beverette (listed as a Jr All CAA list): Rookie tryout Jets
-Only return 3 players that were all CAA.
-We saw Carbone isn’t that good- threw 5 INT vs JMU.
Think SB will be mid pack CAA, no playoffs.

Game notes Elon like UNH started 4 seniors vs JMU. They do get Summers back at RB. Their 2/3 of their schedule is brutal.
9/1 @ USF
9/8 Furman. (Elon beat FU regular season, lost to them in playoffs. FU should again be a playoff team, maybe win the So-Con).
9/15 @ W&M
9/22 @ CSU
9/29 UNH (UNH coming off a bye)
10/6 @ JMU
10/13 @ UD
10/20 UR
The last 4 weeks is bye, URI, TU, @ Maine.

Nova gets a ton of guys, including their QB Bednarczyk, and 2017 pre season All America, CAA Defensive POTY Rob Rolle, back from injury. Think the title comes down to JMU @ UNH. The other 2 to 3 playoff teams will come down to Elon, UD, VU..
(This post was last modified: 05-29-2018 09:15 PM by BDKJMU.)
05-27-2018 11:35 AM
Jeremybozz Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: JMU,WVU.
Athlon 7 other teams to watch:
Idaho,Monmouth,Montana State,Northern Arizona,South Dakota,Western Illinois,Yale.
05-27-2018 04:44 PM
Advertisement

JMURocks Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-27-2018 04:44 PM)Jeremybozz Wrote:  Athlon 7 other teams to watch:
Idaho,Monmouth,Montana State,Northern Arizona,South Dakota,Western Illinois,Yale.

Idaho was 3-8 against FBS teams last year, the wins being ULM, Georgia St, and S. Alabama. Idaho is signifcantly weaker than ECU imo.

Would be shocked if they make a lot of noise in FCS. Maybe 7-4 with a first round playoff loss at best. Could also see them going 6-5 or worse. Likely losses include: EWU, SUU, Montana, Montana St, Florida.

OTOH, Idaho did soundly beat Big Sky team Sacramento St 28-6 last year, so maybe that conference is a lot easier than the SBC.
(This post was last modified: 05-27-2018 09:29 PM by JMURocks.)
05-27-2018 06:50 PM
olddawg Offline
Hall of Famer

Not sure I'd discount Idaho that quickly. You give me 85 players and let me choose the best 63-not the worst scenario in the world. May not be the best players in the country, but a good amount chose them over the other regional FCS schools. Should be some talent there if the coach can harness it.
05-27-2018 09:56 PM
Potomac Offline
Hall of Famer

Athlon football preview has JMU #2 in the nation:
(05-27-2018 09:56 PM)olddawg Wrote:  Not sure I'd discount Idaho that quickly. You give me 85 players and let me choose the best 63-not the worst scenario in the world. May not be the best players in the country, but a good amount chose them over the other regional FCS schools. Should be some talent there if the coach can harness it.

I think Idaho is worth watching solely for their transition down to FCS and how they’ll play the next five years. We actually want them to succeed because it could give other university presidents nationwide the confidence to consider the move for their universities.
Idaho will probably be a 6 or 7 win team. Not that they’ll be a guaranteed playoff contender.
05-28-2018 07:24 AM
JMURocks Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-28-2018 07:24 AM)Potomac Wrote:  
(05-27-2018 09:56 PM)olddawg Wrote:  Not sure I'd discount Idaho that quickly. You give me 85 players and let me choose the best 63-not the worst scenario in the world. May not be the best players in the country, but a good amount chose them over the other regional FCS schools. Should be some talent there if the coach can harness it.

I think Idaho is worth watching solely for their transition down to FCS and how they’ll play the next five years. We actually want them to succeed because it could give other university presidents nationwide the confidence to consider the move for their universities.
Idaho will probably be a 6 or 7 win team. Not that they’ll be a guaranteed playoff contender.

If Idaho (a weakling in the weakest FBS conference) steps into FCS and quickly becomes a final four type powerhouse, it makes FCS look pretty sad.

For now, I choose to believe that the upper level FCS schools are stronger than that. Idaho could have a winning season in the Big Fluffy, but if they go deep in the playoffs, it says we really are playing in the kiddie pool.
05-28-2018 08:52 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.