Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Transfers under Houston
Bookmark and Share
BDKJMU Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison
Transfers under Houston
Madia does a good job listing all the IA transfers brought in by MH. He lists 5 for 2018, 17 over 3 seasons.
-He left off Matt Terrell. Either forgot, or isnt counting him since he was JUCO last season, after playing as a true Fr for UVA in 2016.

-He says of last seasons OL transfers, "Offensive linemen EJ Donahue and Pika Leota rarely or never played. Leota left the team."
I don't see Donahue on the roster anymore, either.
https://jamesmadison.rivals.com/news/ana...ke-houston
(This post was last modified: 06-02-2018 09:27 AM by BDKJMU.)
05-26-2018 12:04 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BDKJMU Offline
Heisman

RE: Transfers under Houston
Looking at the 10 currently on/will be on this season's roster.

-David Eldridge, Sr, WR, 2017 transfer from UVA. 2016 UVA 2 deep, 2 starts. JMU 2 deep last season, 9 starts. Likely starter.
-Marcus Marshall, Sr, RB, 2017 transfer from GA Tech. GT's leading rusher 2015-2016. JMU's leading rusher last season. Co starter.
-Ben Dinucci, rJr QB, 2018 transfer from Pitt. Started 6 games Pitt last season. Likely starter.
-Jawon Hamilton, rSo RB, 2018 transfer from UCF. Started at UCF as a true Fr 2016, leading rusher. Injured/DNP last season.

-Darius Carter, rSr, DE, 2016 transfer from UVA. Started last 2 seasons, last season 3rd team All CAA.
-Ron'Dell Carter, rJr DE, 2017 transfer from Rutgers. JMU 2 deep last season. Likely starter.
-Landan Word, Jr LB, 2017 transfer from UVA. 2016 UVA 2 deep, 2 starts. JMU 2 deep last season. Likely starter.
-Paris Black, rJr DE- 2018 transfer from Wake Forest. last 2 seasons on Wake Forest 2 deep. 2 deep/possible starter.
-Matt Terrell, Jr DE, 2018 transfer2017 JUCO/2016 UVA- played at UVA as a true Fr. 2 deep/possible starter.
-Wayne Davis, rFr Safety, 2018 transfer from Ohio St- Probably 2 deep/possible starter.
05-26-2018 12:52 PM
jmufan2008 Offline
All American

I Root For: The Dukes
We've had a surprising number of transfers, at least IMO. However, I don't know that I see many of them being added out of necessity. It's more that we're having success and players want to come play for a winner (and play for Coach Houston) so they seek us out. We're not getting bad FBS players from lower tier schools (well, for the most part). So, I'm not sure we're out looking for transfers, but if a UCF RB, Pitt QB, or OSU DB comes knocking, we're going to give them their shot. At worst it makes our current players up their game (see Bryan Schor).
05-27-2018 05:55 PM
JMUNation Offline
All American

I Root For: JMU
Several of the transfers have come and gone. Some have become starters. It’s not like they all have taken the spot of four year guys. With Houston, he is always going to be looking for better players. If you play at JMU, you better be working and getting better or you can go from starter to the bench. Nothing is guaranteed. You always have to be competing.
05-27-2018 10:30 PM
Longhorn Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-27-2018 05:55 PM)jmufan2008 Wrote:  We've had a surprising number of transfers, at least IMO. However, I don't know that I see many of them being added out of necessity. It's more that we're having success and players want to come play for a winner (and play for Coach Houston) so they seek us out. We're not getting bad FBS players from lower tier schools (well, for the most part). So, I'm not sure we're out looking for transfers, but if a UCF RB, Pitt QB, or OSU DB comes knocking, we're going to give them their shot. At worst it makes our current players up their game (see Bryan Schor).

You can be sure that our coaching staff is always looking for new talent, especially in areas of need. I’d be disappointed in them if they weren’t. Do they advertise it? Within closed coaching circles its probably well known, and JMU’s winning tradition and near-FBS level facilities and experience of our coaching staff definately help. As long as MH is our HC I believe you’ll see this transfer process continue, and so long as the program’s APR stays healthy I dont have a problem with it.
(This post was last modified: 05-28-2018 01:17 PM by Longhorn.)
05-28-2018 01:17 PM
BDKJMU Offline
Heisman

(05-28-2018 01:17 PM)Longhorn Wrote:  
(05-27-2018 05:55 PM)jmufan2008 Wrote:  We've had a surprising number of transfers, at least IMO. However, I don't know that I see many of them being added out of necessity. It's more that we're having success and players want to come play for a winner (and play for Coach Houston) so they seek us out. We're not getting bad FBS players from lower tier schools (well, for the most part). So, I'm not sure we're out looking for transfers, but if a UCF RB, Pitt QB, or OSU DB comes knocking, we're going to give them their shot. At worst it makes our current players up their game (see Bryan Schor).

You can be sure that our coaching staff is always looking for new talent, especially in areas of need. I’d be disappointed in them if they weren’t. Do they advertise it? Within closed coaching circles its probably well known, and JMU’s winning tradition and near-FBS level facilities and experience of our coaching staff definately help. As long as MH is our HC I believe you’ll see this transfer process continue, and so long as the program’s APR stays healthy I dont have a problem with it.
Compared to G5, you can remover the 'near'. JMU has G5 FBS level facilities..
05-28-2018 03:23 PM
Advertisement

Longhorn Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-28-2018 03:23 PM)BDKJMU Wrote:  
(05-28-2018 01:17 PM)Longhorn Wrote:  

Compared to G5, you can remover the 'near'. JMU has G5 FBS level facilities..

I agree, I just didn't want to oversell it.

IMO JMU's FB facilities would be near the top of all G5 programs, which makes attracting the FBS transfers all the easier.
05-28-2018 05:27 PM
JMUska Offline
Special Teams

One advantage of FCS is that we're more attractive than G5 schools because transfers don't have to sit out a year.
05-30-2018 10:23 AM
Wear Purple Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-30-2018 10:23 AM)JMUska Wrote:  One advantage of FCS is that we're more attractive than G5 schools because transfers don't have to sit out a year.

Add to it that some - certainly not all (see Vad Lee & Marcus Marshall for example) - transfers are looking to transfer because their playing time at previous institution has been stymied for whatever reason. They are itching to get on the field. ASAP. Frustrated with lack of PT and then considering having to sit out another season from game experience via transferring to another D1 program? Definitely can be an advantage for D1AA programs - especially JMU where they still want to play for postseason and at a program with solid facilities, winning expectations, etc.

Having said all that, I think some fans get fooled into believing just because a transfer is coming in from a P5 or high-G5 program it means they are going to slot in immediately as a starter. Sometimes they do, though they have to work for it. Sometimes they don't. HCMH has stated before that he gets multiple calls every week throughout the year from potential transfers looking into pursuing a move to JMU. He has to be very picky about who he accepts and why (read: making sure the transfer candidate isn't just running away for the wrong reasons). Some transfers - especially in this day & age of the transfer era - enjoy the feeling of being "recruited" again like they were in high school and aren't really into working hard for playing time.

HCMH doesn't bat 100%. None of them do. But, I think he and staff does a good job filtering the ones he accepts in doing his homework with due diligence.
05-30-2018 10:37 AM
Duke Dawg Offline
Heisman

looks like we got a WR transfer from the Juco ranks

Edward Morgan who is from DC

couldn't find much info on other schools recruiting him, but did see he was named 2nd Team All American in the Juco ranks.
06-04-2018 10:31 AM
Anders Online
1st String

I Root For: JMU, Boston Col
(06-04-2018 10:31 AM)Duke Dawg Wrote:  looks like we got a WR transfer from the Juco ranks

couldn't find much info on other schools recruiting him, but did see he was named 2nd Team All American in the Juco ranks.

His previous school, ASA College, is a very confusing to me. It's a for profit school with campuses in NYC and Miami. I may just not be familiar enough with for profit JuCo's but I trust the coaching staff in recruiting great talent.

http://www.asacollegeavengers.com/sports...dward_yz7b

http://www.asa.edu/
06-04-2018 11:07 AM
Advertisement

olddawg Offline
Hall of Famer

Highlights of the Morgan kid from his senior year: http://www.hudl.com/profile/2802886/Edward-Morgan

Also read where he received an offer from Liberty too.
(This post was last modified: 06-04-2018 11:20 AM by olddawg.)
06-04-2018 11:17 AM
Anders Online
1st String

I Root For: JMU, Boston Col
(06-04-2018 10:31 AM)Duke Dawg Wrote:  looks like we got a WR transfer from the Juco ranks

Something interesting from their schedule, the Avengers went 9-1 last season with their only loss coming in OT to Georgia Military College. This game was played in Harrisonburg at JMU.

http://www.asacollegeavengers.com/sports...8/schedule
06-04-2018 11:53 AM
Rock House Duke Offline
1st String

Considering how many dropped passes we had from our WRs in the title game (which arguable cost us a second consecutive Natty) this is probably a good late pick up for the Dukes.

It would be nice if the staff could add another linebacker before the start of camp. Aside from QB this position worries me the most heading into 2018.
06-04-2018 12:45 PM
DirtyDukes Offline
All American

I Root For: Dukes, bud!
(06-04-2018 12:45 PM)Rock House Duke Wrote:  Considering how many dropped passes we had from our WRs in the title game (which arguable cost us a second consecutive Natty) this is probably a good late pick up for the Dukes.

It would be nice if the staff could add another linebacker before the start of camp. Aside from QB this position worries me the most heading into 2018.

We also had a game winning one dropped by an RB...
06-04-2018 01:31 PM
DoubleDogDare Offline
All American

(06-04-2018 11:53 AM)Anders Wrote:  

Something interesting from their schedule, the Avengers went 9-1 last season with their only loss coming in OT to Georgia Military College. This game was played in Harrisonburg at JMU.

http://www.asacollegeavengers.com/sports...8/schedule

The newest Duke had 11 receptions for a 139 yards and 3 TDs in his only game at Bridgeforth. Let's hope he stays hot.

http://www.asacollegeavengers.com/sports...7_almi.xml
(This post was last modified: 06-04-2018 02:05 PM by DoubleDogDare.)
06-04-2018 02:04 PM
Advertisement

Rock House Duke Offline
1st String

(06-04-2018 11:17 AM)olddawg Wrote:  Highlights of the Morgan kid from his senior year: http://www.hudl.com/profile/2802886/Edward-Morgan

His highlight film and physique remind me a lot of John Miller.
06-04-2018 03:24 PM
BDKJMU Offline
Heisman

(06-04-2018 12:45 PM)Rock House Duke Wrote:  Considering how many dropped passes we had from our WRs in the title game (which arguable cost us a second consecutive Natty) this is probably a good late pick up for the Dukes.

#s wise pretty deep at LB. Maybe not experience wise.

Here’s what am counting on the roster (including incoming Fr & announced transfers (could be sleightly off)).
QB: 5
RB: 6
OL: 16
TE: 6
WR: 15 (4 true Fr. Counting the recently announced JUCO transfer & younger Stapleton as a WR (he’s listed as a 6’5”/235 WR/TE)

DL: 11
LB: 11
Safety: 11
Corner: 9 (counting the 1 Fr listed as corner/WR & the 1 listed as ‘defensive back’).

The thinnest position on the team #s wise seems to be DL, esp DT. 4 DL positions, 3 LB positions, 2 safety positions, but counting 11 players for each. Since Moye left could use another DT.

Next would seem to be OL. Of the 16, 3 are true Fr. 6 with multi game starting experience, but after that looks young & green. Remember both P5 transfer OL from last season are no longer on the roster..

If anymore transfers are added, it’s probably gonna be big boys for the OL/interior DL.
(This post was last modified: 06-04-2018 05:31 PM by BDKJMU.)
06-04-2018 03:37 PM
Duke Dawg Offline
Heisman

(06-04-2018 11:17 AM)olddawg Wrote:  Highlights of the Morgan kid from his senior year: http://www.hudl.com/profile/2802886/Edward-Morgan

Hope you guys watched that video. I know it’s a highlight reel, but looks like this kid can ball.

Something puzzling here though.

That video is his senior year in HS from two years ago at friendship collegiate and he looks pretty damn good.

But, can’t find him anywhere on any recruiting site. Doesn’t add up.

He was a frosh in JC last year so I would assume he has 3 years of eligibilty left.

He’s much bigger than John Miller. Looks like he could be a steal and just what we need. Another game breaker at WR.
06-04-2018 04:57 PM
olddawg Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-04-2018 04:57 PM)Duke Dawg Wrote:  

Hope you guys watched that video. I know it’s a highlight reel, but looks like this kid can ball.

Something puzzling here though.

That video is his senior year in HS from two years ago at friendship collegiate and he looks pretty damn good.

But, can’t find him anywhere on any recruiting site. Doesn’t add up.

He was a frosh in JC last year so I would assume he has 3 years of eligibilty left.

He’s much bigger than John Miller. Looks like he could be a steal and just what we need. Another game breaker at WR.

I liked what I saw but wondered the same thing too. My hunch would be a grade issue, but it could be a lot of reasons. He had a good game against my high school (end around TD and a punt return TD) and we were ranked 6th last year in the DC metro area.
06-04-2018 07:06 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.