ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Recruiting Philosophy Question
Old Dominion Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
From time to time I see twitter posts and reports on 757recruiting about local players getting offers from P5 schools. Today there is a tweet about 2 local running backs getting offers from South Carolina, even though both are class of 2021.
Since BW's lack of success recruiting locals comes up on here, I'm wondering why he doesn't at least offer more schollys to local elites. May not score any, but at least it shows local coaches we're interested.
The rumor was BW is not all that well received locally. Wonder if that has changed.
05-26-2018 09:43 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Big Bluezilla Offline
All American

(05-26-2018 09:43 AM)Old Dominion Wrote:  From time to time I see twitter posts and reports on 757recruiting about local players getting offers from P5 schools. Today there is a tweet about 2 local running backs getting offers from South Carolina, even though both are class of 2021.
Since BW's lack of success recruiting locals comes up on here, I'm wondering why he doesn't at least offer more schollys to local elites. May not score any, but at least it shows local coaches we're interested.
The rumor was BW is not all that well received locally. Wonder if that has changed.

I don’t have any contacts. Who are the rumors from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
05-26-2018 10:29 AM
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
RE: Recruiting Philosophy Question
Im pretty sure they offer almost every elite local recruit.
05-26-2018 11:03 AM
Mr.BigBlue Offline
All American

(05-26-2018 11:03 AM)Gilesfan Wrote:  Im pretty sure they offer almost every elite local recruit.

Offer and actively recruit by build relationships with coaches, families, and players are 2 different things.
05-28-2018 02:17 PM
Big Bluezilla Offline
All American

(05-28-2018 02:17 PM)Mr.BigBlue Wrote:  
(05-26-2018 11:03 AM)Gilesfan Wrote:  Im pretty sure they offer almost every elite local recruit.

Offer and actively recruit by build relationships with coaches, families, and players are 2 different things.

Do you know they aren’t actively trying to accomplish that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
05-28-2018 02:51 PM
bit_9 Offline

If a tree falls in the woods.
05-28-2018 03:01 PM
Advertisement

T-Mac Offline
Special Teams

These boards are funny. People make up conspiracy theories with no evidence and then demand that other people disprove the conspiracy theories. If overwhelming evidence to disprove the conspiracy theory isn't supplied, the CP becomes the "truth" on here.

Sent from my Pixel XL using CSNbbs mobile app
05-28-2018 08:18 PM
jumpshooter Offline
1st String

I'll offer a recent anecdotal example which shocked me. I ran into a guy wearing an ODU hat at the gym a week or so ago. We got to talking. He's a wrestling coach in Richmond who knows lots of HS coaches down here in all sports. Also a season ticket holder at one time who has canceled. When I asked why, he said he was pissed off at BW's recruiting philosophy which, he's been told by HS coaches here, basically ignores them. They say he has little to no profile among them and they're not happy about it, thought it would be different. . . . That said, I remember talking to an ODU assistant bball coach years ago who lamented to fact that the local HS coaches weren't interested in sending their best players to ODU -- the Reids, Mournings, etc - but the lower tier. I don't see where any of that has changed when I look at a kid like Coleman.

Take it for what it's worth.
05-29-2018 08:18 AM
Mr.BigBlue Offline
All American

(05-28-2018 08:18 PM)T-Mac Wrote:  These boards are funny. People make up conspiracy theories with no evidence and then demand that other people disprove the conspiracy theories. If overwhelming evidence to disprove the conspiracy theory isn't supplied, the CP becomes the "truth" on here.

Bull...there are plenty of examples. But hey believe what you want. I know the ground truth from several HS programs. Coaches have felt ignored and I know of one recruit that was more than good enough to play for ODU that went to VT that was basically ignored because he was told he was FCS level.
05-29-2018 11:41 AM
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-29-2018 11:41 AM)Mr.BigBlue Wrote:  
(05-28-2018 08:18 PM)T-Mac Wrote:  These boards are funny. People make up conspiracy theories with no evidence and then demand that other people disprove the conspiracy theories. If overwhelming evidence to disprove the conspiracy theory isn't supplied, the CP becomes the "truth" on here.

Bull...there are plenty of examples. But hey believe what you want. I know the ground truth from several HS programs. Coaches have felt ignored and I know of one recruit that was more than good enough to play for ODU that went to VT that was basically ignored because he was told he was FCS level.

So the coaches had a different opinion than the VT coaches? Big deal
05-29-2018 12:21 PM
T-Mac Offline
Special Teams

How many minutes per game is he playing at VT?
05-29-2018 12:38 PM
Advertisement

Monarchist13 Offline

The anecdotal story of a walk-on for the Hokies proves what exactly?
05-29-2018 01:05 PM
Old Dominion Offline
Heisman

I can't recall the source, may have been Minium, but at one point there was discussion about the fact that BW was disappointed because many local coaches thought we were still FCS.

If that is true, whose primary responsibility is it to educate local coaches?
05-29-2018 02:47 PM
ODU AGGIE Offline
Heisman

If there really is a local coach so ignorant as to think ODU is an FCS school, he is beyond help. I just cannot imagine that there is even one that fits that description.
05-29-2018 02:59 PM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

(05-29-2018 08:18 AM)jumpshooter Wrote:  I'll offer a recent anecdotal example which shocked me. I ran into a guy wearing an ODU hat at the gym a week or so ago. We got to talking. He's a wrestling coach in Richmond who knows lots of HS coaches down here in all sports. Also a season ticket holder at one time who has canceled. When I asked why, he said he was pissed off at BW's recruiting philosophy which, he's been told by HS coaches here, basically ignores them. They say he has little to no profile among them and they're not happy about it, thought it would be different. . . . That said, I remember talking to an ODU assistant bball coach years ago who lamented to fact that the local HS coaches weren't interested in sending their best players to ODU -- the Reids, Mournings, etc - but the lower tier. I don't see where any of that has changed when I look at a kid like Coleman.

We are likely never getting the best, but there has to be some middle ground between Matt Coleman and Travis Fields locally that we could compete for. I guess Godwin may fit that bill, but we should be getting a couple every year. Heck, even if we get the lower tier, let's start developing high potential local projects again like Finney, Frank, Baze, and Coop.

Edit: this appears to be a football thread, but I was responding to your last 2 sentences.
(This post was last modified: 05-29-2018 03:05 PM by EverRespect.)
05-29-2018 03:03 PM
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-29-2018 02:47 PM)Old Dominion Wrote:  I can't recall the source, may have been Minium, but at one point there was discussion about the fact that BW was disappointed because many local coaches thought we were still FCS.

If that is true, whose primary responsibility is it to educate local coaches?

If high school coaches think ODU is FCS, I'm more concerned that these are the folks that are supposed to be helping kids get into college.
05-29-2018 03:07 PM
Advertisement

jumpshooter Offline
1st String

(05-29-2018 03:03 PM)EverRespect Wrote:  
(05-29-2018 08:18 AM)jumpshooter Wrote:  I'll offer a recent anecdotal example which shocked me. I ran into a guy wearing an ODU hat at the gym a week or so ago. We got to talking. He's a wrestling coach in Richmond who knows lots of HS coaches down here in all sports. Also a season ticket holder at one time who has canceled. When I asked why, he said he was pissed off at BW's recruiting philosophy which, he's been told by HS coaches here, basically ignores them. They say he has little to no profile among them and they're not happy about it, thought it would be different. . . . That said, I remember talking to an ODU assistant bball coach years ago who lamented to fact that the local HS coaches weren't interested in sending their best players to ODU -- the Reids, Mournings, etc - but the lower tier. I don't see where any of that has changed when I look at a kid like Coleman.

We are likely never getting the best, but there has to be some middle ground between Matt Coleman and Travis Fields locally that we could compete for. I guess Godwin may fit that bill, but we should be getting a couple every year. Heck, even if we get the lower tier, let's start developing high potential local projects again like Finney, Frank, Baze, and Coop.

Edit: this appears to be a football thread, but I was responding to your last 2 sentences.

Understood. I think it works in both sports.
05-29-2018 03:46 PM
Big Bluezilla Offline
All American

I can't remember the last time I read about one of these situations where there was an actual name involved. It's always a I heard, he said, they think, nobody feels, etc. I can understand anonymity, but at some point, there has to be some meat and potatoes behind the innuendo and rumors before I'm willing to buy into it.
05-29-2018 04:13 PM
T-Mac Offline
Special Teams

FWIW, we have ten players on the MBB team who grew up approximately three hours or less from ODU. About 75% of the football team are from NC, VA, or MD. Not sure how we're landing all these local guys if we don't recruit the areas around us.

(This post was last modified: 05-30-2018 06:50 AM by T-Mac.)
05-29-2018 07:27 PM
Grommet Offline
Shamma Lamma Ding Dong

I counted players on the roster last year when this came up. IIRC, 18-20% were from the 757.

Right now, 22 of 104 guys listed are from the 757, so 21.5%.

It doesn't seem to me that almost a quarter of the team would be local if the coaches didn't recruit local schools.
05-30-2018 07:21 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.