Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

ESPN+
goldenhurricane2 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Tulsa
ESPN+
Anyone heard anything about how much of our content will be relegated to ESPN+?
05-24-2018 04:04 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

gotigers1 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Tigers!
RE: ESPN+
Hopefully none, because if that happens, I'll miss alot. No way I'm paying for another service
05-24-2018 04:05 PM
pesik Offline
Legend

I Root For: Houston
(05-24-2018 04:04 PM)goldenhurricane2 Wrote:  Anyone heard anything about how much of our content will be relegated to ESPN+?

none, we haven't regnegotiated our deal yet, we are still just espn 3

after our deal is redone will the espn+ conversation come into play
(This post was last modified: 05-24-2018 10:39 PM by pesik.)
05-24-2018 04:06 PM
gulfcoastgal Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
Memphis AD said on radio today that conference AD and Pres. meetings are next week and mentioned the media deal first when asked about agenda items. Talked about Dr. Rudd heading it up. Looks for it to be wrapped up (hopefully) within the next 10 months.
05-24-2018 06:31 PM
Attackcoog Offline

(05-24-2018 06:31 PM)gulfcoastgal Wrote:  Memphis AD said on radio today that conference AD and Pres. meetings are next week and mentioned the media deal first when asked about agenda items. Talked about Dr. Rudd heading it up. Looks for it to be wrapped up (hopefully) within the next 10 months.

10 Months would be late March 2019. My understanding is the AAC can take their rights to the open market in early 2019. That time frame leads me to believe we are expecting to go to the open market---which would also indicate its pretty unlikely our next deal will be an all ESPN affair. I do think they will be part of our future package and I do think its fairly likely our third tier content will be purchased by ESPN-Plus. We would be a good draw for ESPN-Plus.

As for how the AAC and ESPN-Plus play together over the next 2 years----I would not be surprised if some (or even most) of our content that would typically be ESPN-3 stuff doesnt end up on ESPN-Plus. The MAC is ending up with some of their stuff there and they never signed any deal that specifically moved it to ESPN-Plus. I dont know, but my guess is we sold "digital" rights to ESPN back in the 2013 deal--and at that time, there wasnt any reason to specify "ESPN-3" in the agreement. Thus, ESPN probably does not need our permission to place third tier AAC content on ESPN-Plus (which would undoubtedly qualify as an ESPN platform under our agreement) rather than ESPN-3. So...dont be surprised if we have to shell out $4.99 a month over the next two years to have access to all the AAC stuff we currently see today on ESPN-3.
(This post was last modified: 05-24-2018 07:45 PM by Attackcoog.)
05-24-2018 07:43 PM
Jesterondirt Offline
Real racing happens on dirt!

I Root For: GoldenHurricane
Does espn+ give you all the regular espn content (ESPN, espn2, ESPNU, ESPN3, etc.....) plus more stuff? If so sign me up and im cancelling directv
05-24-2018 08:01 PM
Advertisement

pesik Offline
Legend

(05-24-2018 08:01 PM)Jesterondirt Wrote:  Does espn+ give you all the regular espn content (ESPN, espn2, ESPNU, ESPN3, etc.....) plus more stuff? If so sign me up and im cancelling directv

no... espn+ is like its own channel
05-24-2018 08:04 PM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

I Root For: ECU, Army
(05-24-2018 04:04 PM)goldenhurricane2 Wrote:  Anyone heard anything about how much of our content will be relegated to ESPN+?

None. The current 6 year deal stipulated that every game be televised. ESPN sub licensed more games to CBS-SN than any of us thought would happen; ESPN would be evil if they put games on ESPN plus. Breach of contract, so 0. None.
P.S. If a single AAC football game gets put on ESPN plus I want Aresco to sue. If he doesn't, I want him fired and forced to pay back his 1.86 million per year contract. (He makes the same $ as the SEC commissioner and he ain't shown me sh!t)
05-24-2018 09:28 PM
TU4ever Offline
All American

(05-24-2018 08:04 PM)pesik Wrote:  
(05-24-2018 08:01 PM)Jesterondirt Wrote:  Does espn+ give you all the regular espn content (ESPN, espn2, ESPNU, ESPN3, etc.....) plus more stuff? If so sign me up and im cancelling directv

no... espn+ is like its own channel

It's own channel that you can't if you don't already have regular ESPN.
05-24-2018 09:53 PM
Attackcoog Offline

(05-24-2018 09:28 PM)billybobby777 Wrote:  

None. The current 6 year deal stipulated that every game be televised. ESPN sub licensed more games to CBS-SN than any of us thought would happen; ESPN would be evil if they put games on ESPN plus. Breach of contract, so 0. None.
P.S. If a single AAC football game gets put on ESPN plus I want Aresco to sue. If he doesn't, I want him fired and forced to pay back his 1.86 million per year contract. (He makes the same $ as the SEC commissioner and he ain't shown me sh!t)

I dont know Billybobby. I think you may be wrong here. I agree---ESPN will contractually have to place just as many games as they have the past 5 years on ABC, ESPN, ESPN-2, ESPN-U, and ESPN-News. But remember, we sold ALL our rights to ESPN--including digital rights.

I think there is little chance that in 2013 we had the foresight to specify in our contract that "digital broadcasts" had to be limited to ESPN-3....but who knows---maybe we did.

Bottom line, the only AAC content that can possibly end up on ESPN-Plus is content that was not specifically REQUIRED to be televised on ABC/ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU (or a similar sub-license that the AAC signs off on). Aresco boasted that something like 90% of our football games and basktball games would be on national TV. So, its just that other 10% that could be possible ESPN-Plus content.

Anything that was commonly moved to ESPN-3 (like our FCS games or pre season basketball games) likely can be shifted to ESPN-Plus if ESPN decides to do it. Of course--thats just an educated guess on my part. We have seen some interesting things when it comes to these 3rd tier rights. For instance---somehow we magically reaquired the rights to UConn womens basketball and returned them to UConn. It may be that Aresco has a good enough relationship with ESPN that he can keep us off ESPN-Plus for the next two years. At any rate, I suspect we will have a much better idea by September.
(This post was last modified: 05-25-2018 01:07 AM by Attackcoog.)
05-25-2018 01:02 AM
Tiger1983 Offline
BBA

I Root For: Tigers - GTG!

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
FWIW, I heard Clay Travis explain the other day that the primary purpose of ESPN+ is to build a platform for owned content.
05-25-2018 06:32 AM
Advertisement

CoastalJuan Offline
Business Drunk

I Root For: ECU
I thought ESPN+ was for televising club racquetball and stuff.
05-25-2018 07:18 AM
BearcatMan Offline
Kicking Connoisseur/Occasional Man Crush

I Root For: Cincinnati
(05-25-2018 07:18 AM)CoastalJuan Wrote:  I thought ESPN+ was for televising club racquetball and stuff.

At the moment it's basically a living representation of ESPN 8: The Ocho from Dodgeball. The most prominent sport they've got is Championship Soccer in England (basically the equivalent of AAA Baseball here)...mostly its Union/Sevens Rugby, Cricket, and more obscure individual sports.
05-25-2018 07:57 AM
Attackcoog Offline

(05-25-2018 07:57 AM)BearcatMan Wrote:  
(05-25-2018 07:18 AM)CoastalJuan Wrote:  I thought ESPN+ was for televising club racquetball and stuff.

At the moment it's basically a living representation of ESPN 8: The Ocho from Dodgeball. The most prominent sport they've got is Championship Soccer in England (basically the equivalent of AAA Baseball here)...mostly its Union/Sevens Rugby, Cricket, and more obscure individual sports.

That’s not true. They have already announced that MLB games, NHL games, UFC fights, as well as some FBS content will be on ESPN-Plus.
05-25-2018 08:30 AM
BearcatMan Offline
Kicking Connoisseur/Occasional Man Crush

I Root For: Cincinnati
(05-25-2018 08:30 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

That’s not true. They have already announced that MLB games, NHL games, UFC fights, as well as some FBS content will be on ESPN-Plus.

Exactly
05-25-2018 08:55 AM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

I Root For: ECU, Army
(05-25-2018 01:02 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

I dont know Billybobby. I think you may be wrong here. I agree---ESPN will contractually have to place just as many games as they have the past 5 years on ABC, ESPN, ESPN-2, ESPN-U, and ESPN-News. But remember, we sold ALL our rights to ESPN--including digital rights.

I think there is little chance that in 2013 we had the foresight to specify in our contract that "digital broadcasts" had to be limited to ESPN-3....but who knows---maybe we did.

Bottom line, the only AAC content that can possibly end up on ESPN-Plus is content that was not specifically REQUIRED to be televised on ABC/ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU (or a similar sub-license that the AAC signs off on). Aresco boasted that something like 90% of our football games and basktball games would be on national TV. So, its just that other 10% that could be possible ESPN-Plus content.

Anything that was commonly moved to ESPN-3 (like our FCS games or pre season basketball games) likely can be shifted to ESPN-Plus if ESPN decides to do it. Of course--thats just an educated guess on my part. We have seen some interesting things when it comes to these 3rd tier rights. For instance---somehow we magically reaquired the rights to UConn womens basketball and returned them to UConn. It may be that Aresco has a good enough relationship with ESPN that he can keep us off ESPN-Plus for the next two years. At any rate, I suspect we will have a much better idea by September.

Well 90% of the games have to be on ABC/ESPN/ESPN2//ESPNU/CBSSN so I don't think there should be any fb games on ESPN plus. Other sports, yeah. I guess maybe a few non UCONN WBB games, but no FB games. (I hope anyway). How can ESPN benefit from a new technology (PLUS) that wasn't in the contract because it didn't exist then but the other party gets screwed? What's the legal loophole that allows ESPN to create an ESPN 8 the Ocho after the contract was signed?
05-25-2018 09:12 AM
Advertisement

Attackcoog Offline

(05-25-2018 09:12 AM)billybobby777 Wrote:  

Well 90% of the games have to be on ABC/ESPN/ESPN2//ESPNU/CBSSN so I don't think there should be any fb games on ESPN plus. Other sports, yeah. I guess maybe a few non UCONN WBB games, but no FB games. (I hope anyway). How can ESPN benefit from a new technology (PLUS) that wasn't in the contract because it didn't exist then but the other party gets screwed? What's the legal loophole that allows ESPN to create an ESPN 8 the Ocho after the contract was signed?

Basically--they bought the digital rights. The contract is very specific for most of football and most of basketball. That stuff has to be on a linear network and a certain minimum number of appearances on specific networks is required. The stuff that lies outside of those specified requirements (what we ussually call third tier rights) is free game for ESPN. They can put it on ESPN-3 or they can not televise it all if there is no specific requirement to do so. For football, I think they have to televise every game---but only 90% have to be on a national linear network.

Its really no different that raising the price on ESPN. The price of ESPN is higher today than when we signed. Essentially, ESPN3 is going to slowly morph into the pay channel ESPN-Plus. Either way, ESPN is going to provide coverage for those AAC games---the only difference is it might cost us more ($4.99 a month) to gain access to the stuff that used to be free on ESPN-3. Or--maybe we get lucky and avoid ESPN-Plus for the final 2 years of our deal as a goodwill gesture moving into to negotiations for the next deal.
04-cheers
(This post was last modified: 05-25-2018 10:17 AM by Attackcoog.)
05-25-2018 10:15 AM
TU4ever Offline
All American

(05-25-2018 08:30 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

Those are future deals most of which begin in 2019 not currently.

ESPN can not place our content on ESPN+. The change would require us to agree. Currently no AAC content will be on ESPN+ and our current relationship with them makes a change unlikely.
05-25-2018 10:20 AM
TU4ever Offline
All American

(05-25-2018 10:15 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(05-25-2018 09:12 AM)billybobby777 Wrote:  

Basically--they bought the digital rights. The contract is very specific for most of football and most of basketball. That stuff has to be on a linear network and a certain minimum number of appearances on specific networks is required. The stuff that lies outside of those specified requirements (what we ussually call third tier rights) is free game for ESPN. They can put it on ESPN-3 or they can not televise it all if there is no specific requirement to do so. For football, I think they have to televise every game---but only 90% have to be on a national linear network.

Its really no different that raising the price on ESPN. The price of ESPN is higher today than when we signed. Essentially, ESPN3 is going to slowly morph into the pay channel ESPN-Plus. Either way, ESPN is going to provide coverage for those AAC games---the only difference is it might cost us more ($4.99 a month) to gain access to the stuff that used to be free on ESPN-3. Or--maybe we get lucky and avoid ESPN-Plus for the final 2 years of our deal as a goodwill gesture moving into to negotiations for the next deal.
04-cheers

Nothing to do with Goodwill (which you can stop expecting from ESPN) they don't have a choice. ESPN 3 is the only digital option for ESPN owned AAC content and it's wrapped up in our digital network. If they want to pay more I am sure Aresco will let them.

ESPN will NOT be a major player in our deal. They are going to sign limited deal and use other conferences to be filler the way they have used some AAC content. This is why the Sunbelt was signed to the espn+ deal. The writing is all over the wall we have bidders who will pay more than ESPN wants to. They will maximise the value they can get from the current deal, pick up what scraps get left from the next.
05-25-2018 10:29 AM
gulfcoastgal Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Memphis has broadcast some third tier locally/regionally the past couple of years. Last year’s FCS game was shown OTA in Memphis and a three game package aired in Memphis and Jackson TN Tubby’s first year. With the excitement around Penny, it wouldn’t surprise me to see a deal put together for anything that falls to ESPN3.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.commerc.../676482001

http://gotigersgo.com/news/2016/9/20/men...games.aspx

ETA: surprised more schools don’t take advantage of this.
(This post was last modified: 05-25-2018 04:01 PM by gulfcoastgal.)
05-25-2018 03:36 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.