Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Property at dorr and byrne
Bookmark and Share
crusher38 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: USC and Toledo
Property at dorr and byrne
does UT own this big strip of land?

it seems like they could build an official campus building and it would further make the area safer......if they own it.

any help is greatly appreciated, i was just thinking outloud.
05-23-2018 04:29 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

indianasniff Offline
All American

I Root For: Toledo
RE: Property at dorr and byrne
The university has either acquired or is planning to acquire it for recreation fields for students. Take a look at master plan

http://www.utoledo.edu/facilities/master-plan/
05-23-2018 07:24 AM
BearcatMan Offline
Kicking Connoisseur/Occasional Man Crush

I Root For: Cincinnati
(05-23-2018 07:24 AM)indianasniff Wrote:  The university has either acquired or is planning to acquire it for recreation fields for students. Take a look at master plan

http://www.utoledo.edu/facilities/master-plan/

University bought it a few years back when Jacobs was president as a planned corridor with the Lofts/Barnes and Noble mixed use development, current owner is the Foundation, just like the land underneath the Taco Bell and a few other retail/rental properties on Dorr (which makes for a Clery reporting nightmare).

Here's the full map of the master plan for reference:

[Image: map.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 05-23-2018 07:29 AM by BearcatMan.)
05-23-2018 07:26 AM
DetroitRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Considering that area for a rec field is a bad idea that students would likely never use. Some talk of moving UT police and highway patrol there.
05-23-2018 08:19 AM
Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
University Marriott Courtyard/Meeting Center or Alumni Center.
05-23-2018 09:07 AM
BearcatMan Offline

(05-23-2018 08:19 AM)DetroitRocket Wrote:  Considering that area for a rec field is a bad idea that students would likely never use. Some talk of moving UT police and highway patrol there.

UT PD would be there either way, that red building on the MP is the Police Department HQ.

Students would definitely use it, since that's where all of the outdoor intramural sports would be scheduled at. Outside of those activities it wouldn't be used at all, but that's about the same as the current fields that are needlessly underutilized on the other corner of campus.
05-23-2018 09:10 AM
Advertisement

DetroitRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(05-23-2018 09:07 AM)Boca Rocket Wrote:  University Marriott Courtyard/Meeting Center or Alumni Center.

Apparently the Alumni/Foundation people will re-locate to the Welltower property.
05-23-2018 10:08 AM
BearcatMan Offline

(05-23-2018 10:08 AM)DetroitRocket Wrote:  
(05-23-2018 09:07 AM)Boca Rocket Wrote:  University Marriott Courtyard/Meeting Center or Alumni Center.

Apparently the Alumni/Foundation people will re-locate to the Welltower property.

Still up in the air who is going where, but the Foundation owns that land/facility, and they'd make the most sense. The offer went out for any and all non-student services offices to re-locate, but the rent would be more than most could handle...personally, I think Driscoll would be a perfect Admissions/Welcome Center. Far better than Libbey Hall, logistically and as a facility in general. With the impending divestment from Scott Park, HR and Compliance need a new home as well.
05-23-2018 10:42 AM
PaulJ Offline
1st String

(05-23-2018 08:19 AM)DetroitRocket Wrote:  Considering that area for a rec field is a bad idea that students would likely never use. Some talk of moving UT police and highway patrol there.

Master Plan already included moving UT Police there (partnering with State Highway is just a new option on the table). And students, including rec programs, had input into plan including those fields with parking and next to UT Police building for additional security. Feedback from those students was positive given huge improvements over current fields (better parking, lightingm, access to washrooms etc...). Adding those red fields there is really the only way to fit space on main campus for softball/baseball complex and soccer.
05-23-2018 12:19 PM
PaulJ Offline
1st String

Yes Alumni/Foundation and UT Marketing/Communication are moving to the back building at Welltower that decision has already been made, timing remains uncertain until after UT takes over property officially on June 20. Whereas UT will in fact own the property, Welltower under lease will still occupy the front building.
05-23-2018 12:21 PM
PaulJ Offline
1st String

(05-23-2018 10:42 AM)BearcatMan Wrote:  

Still up in the air who is going where, but the Foundation owns that land/facility, and they'd make the most sense. The offer went out for any and all non-student services offices to re-locate, but the rent would be more than most could handle...personally, I think Driscoll would be a perfect Admissions/Welcome Center. Far better than Libbey Hall, logistically and as a facility in general. With the impending divestment from Scott Park, HR and Compliance need a new home as well.

Yes current plan is for Admissions/Welcome Center to move to Driscoll, and over time HR/Payroll/Accounts Payable move into space in U Hall and other buildings in center of main campus. Look for a series of these moves in the next few years.
05-23-2018 12:23 PM
Advertisement

IamN2daRockets! Offline
All American

Byrne and door is slated for a combined UT police and Lucas County Sheriffs office building
05-23-2018 01:50 PM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo R0ckets
No chance they’d bring back the Agora?
05-23-2018 01:58 PM
PaulJ Offline
1st String

(05-23-2018 01:50 PM)IamN2daRockets! Wrote:  Byrne and door is slated for a combined UT police and Lucas County Sheriffs office building

I believe that is a current concept under discussion (linked to new 475 interchange at Dorr), but to be clear the UT Police station to be located there was initially a product of the new UT Master Plan completed last year.
05-23-2018 01:58 PM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

If they'd had the foresight (or maybe they were unsuccessful) to buy or land-swap a few more properties at that location, any traffic congestion at Dorr-Secor presently or contributed by the new interchange would be in the past.

Police house would be the worst thing. I'm glad the neighbors objected.

The only good thing about "rec-fields" is that they're easy to deconstruct and replace with something useful. But when balls start flying into Dorr St, I told you so.
05-23-2018 03:05 PM
Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
(05-23-2018 01:58 PM)H2Oville Rocket Wrote:  No chance they’d bring back the Agora?

Only if Bock and Rainbow Canyon are available.
05-23-2018 03:42 PM
Advertisement

PaulJ Offline
1st String

(05-23-2018 03:05 PM)eastisbest Wrote:  If they'd had the foresight (or maybe they were unsuccessful) to buy or land-swap a few more properties at that location, any traffic congestion at Dorr-Secor presently or contributed by the new interchange would be in the past.

The only good thing about "rec-fields" is that they're easy to deconstruct and replace with something useful. But when balls start flying into Dorr St, I told you so.

My understanding that over the years there have been effort repeatedly to purchase the properties on the NW corner of Dorr/Secure-to no success, it does take a willing seller(s).

Not sure what you mean by a police house would be the worst thing or that neighbors objected as that certainly was not the case when they participated and commented at the public sessions on the new UT Master Plan when UTPD was proposed for the site-many in fact favored more police presence in the area. Either way if the State Highway Police join in with their funds, it is very likely that project proceeds regardless of any local opposition.

As to balls flying onto to Dorr Street, the detailed site plans for the fields I saw included fencing, grass buffers and field orientations to limit those impacts, but I suppose any fields near any roads would have that issue, never saw or heard it raised a major concern in the meeting I attended.
05-23-2018 03:48 PM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-23-2018 03:48 PM)PaulJ Wrote:  
(05-23-2018 03:05 PM)eastisbest Wrote:  If they'd had the foresight (or maybe they were unsuccessful) to buy or land-swap a few more properties at that location, any traffic congestion at Dorr-Secor presently or contributed by the new interchange would be in the past.

Not sure what you mean by a police house would be the worst thing or that neighbors objected

I accidently read the local one day. Yep, complaints and concerns.

Now MY objections have more to do with it being a waste of limited real estate for a non-academic use, one that could be many places without taking up space that might have better uses. Isn't there one at Scott Park? Looks fine there.

Kind of like putting a parking garage on water front. Using precious campus space for a police station? lol What idiot community would do that?
05-23-2018 04:16 PM
Sleepy Offline
1st String

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
(05-23-2018 01:58 PM)H2Oville Rocket Wrote:  No chance they’d bring back the Agora?

Looks like there is a Taco Bell where the old Kolegium Bier Stube once was.
05-23-2018 05:34 PM
inductchuck16 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
So...when is all this construction going to begin? The sooner the better. I hope they start with building the new baseball / softball complexes.

With this plan, campus certainly has the potential to look a lot different and a lot better, but that's only if it all actually comes to fruition.
05-24-2018 12:08 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.