Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Montgomery, AL to host Sun Belt Baseball Tournament 2020 to 2024
Bookmark and Share
T-Dog Offline
SunBeltbbs App State INsider

I Root For: App State
Montgomery, AL to host Sun Belt Baseball Tournament 2020 to 2024
NEW ORLEANS – The Sun Belt Conference announced Thursday that Montgomery, Ala., will be the host site for the league's annual baseball championship beginning in 2020 and running through 2024.

The agreement between the Sun Belt, the Central Alabama Sports Commission and the city of Montgomery is a five-year term that will see the conference tournament played at Riverwalk Stadium, which opened in 2004 and can accommodate up to 7,000 fans when general admission tickets are included. Home of the minor league Montgomery Biscuits, the scenic ballpark is located in downtown Montgomery and built into a converted railroad station.

"Montgomery is a city rich with history, and more recently it has seen a revitalization of its downtown area that will make for a perfect home for the Sun Belt Baseball Championship," Sun Belt Conference Commissioner Karl Benson said. "We are thrilled to continue our relationship with the city of Montgomery as it has provided a first-class experience for fans and student-athletes in recent years with our partnership in the Raycom Media Camellia Bowl."

Montgomery, known as the "Birthplace of the Civil Rights Movement," has been recognized nationally for its continuing redevelopment of its downtown. Alabama's state capitol also hosts the annual Raycom Media Camellia Bowl that includes a representative from the Sun Belt each season, as Appalachian State played there in 2015 and 2016.

"We are thrilled to have the opportunity to continue to build our relationship with the Sun Belt Conference," Central Alabama Sports Commission Executive Director Johnny Williams said. "Over the past five years, they have been a great partner in the Raycom Media Camellia Bowl, and we look forward to expanding that partnership and their footprint in our community with the Sun Belt Conference Baseball Championship."

The 2018 Sun Belt Conference Baseball Championship will be hosted by the Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns in Lafayette, La., from May 22-27. The 2019 edition of the championship will be held in Conway, S.C., and hosted by Coastal Carolina.
(This post was last modified: 05-10-2018 05:08 PM by T-Dog.)
05-10-2018 05:07 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

_x_ Offline
All American

I Root For: Texas State
RE: Montgomery, AL to host Sun Belt Baseball Tournament 2020 to 2024
Hmm. Hopefully it doesn't turn into the basketball tourney in NO.l with nobody in the stands...
05-10-2018 05:15 PM
warhawk09 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Bob
Sort of like now when the host isn’t playing?
05-10-2018 05:24 PM
Usajags Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
That's a great stadium and great setting. This will hopefully be a good thing, with GaSt, GaSo, Troy and USA all within a 3 hours drive.(I think GaSo could be reached in three hours)

Wouldn't mind seeing a week 0 football game there as well with a SBC team and another G5 school. They had a game this past season with Jax St and UTC.

Montgomery is the size of town that could get behind the SBC, more so then New Orleans would ever get behind it.

04-cheers I think this is a good move. 04-cheers
05-10-2018 05:24 PM
ChattValleyTrojan Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Troy and Auburn
Agree. Been to several games at Riverwalk Stadium. I've said for a couple years I'd like a South Troy non conference game played there like Auburn and bama does.
(05-10-2018 05:24 PM)Usajags Wrote:  That's a great stadium and great setting. This will hopefully be a good thing, with GaSt, GaSo, Troy and USA all within a 3 hours drive.(I think GaSo could be reached in three hours)

Wouldn't mind seeing a week 0 football game there as well with a SBC team and another G5 school. They had a game this past season with Jax St and UTC.

Montgomery is the size of town that could get behind the SBC, more so then New Orleans would ever get behind it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
05-10-2018 05:30 PM
T-Dog Offline
SunBeltbbs App State INsider

I Root For: App State
Lefties are gonna love this park.

[Image: Dc3ntwzX0AAMwSJ.jpg]
05-10-2018 05:31 PM
Advertisement

CardinalBlackTrojan Offline

I Root For: TROY
This is a great idea by the conference admin. Montgomery folks always love attending sports events that come to town. They support the Camellia Bowl like crazy.

Plus this venue is extremely unique and will be a fun atmosphere for visiting fans. I love this.
05-10-2018 05:50 PM
CajunAmos Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cajuns
I have to say right now I'm cautious. Baseball attendance isn't great as most schools to start with, so having them travel and go to the expense required will be interesting to see how it turns out. I would think you'd expect those that travel now will probably travel for those games, but it wouldn't surprise me if they get a 200-500 attendance for each game. JMO
05-10-2018 06:06 PM
CardinalBlackTrojan Offline

I Root For: TROY
(05-10-2018 06:06 PM)CajunAmos Wrote:  I have to say right now I'm cautious. Baseball attendance isn't great as most schools to start with, so having them travel and go to the expense required will be interesting to see how it turns out. I would think you'd expect those that travel now will probably travel for those games, but it wouldn't surprise me if they get a 200-500 attendance for each game. JMO

I can agree with this. It will be interesting to see how fans at Troy, USA, Georgia State travel to this. Obviously, Troy will likely have a better contingency of fans most years.

As far as the venue goes, I think the SBC did a great job getting Riverwalk Stadium. We'll see if it works out or not, but like I said, visiting SBC fans will like it. It's an old train station converted to a ballpark, and where the ballpark sits used to be a Confederate military prison that mostly imprisoned Union soldiers from the Battle of Shiloh. So lot's of history.

It's also smack in the middle of downtown Montgomery, so there's quite a bit of restaurants to choose from in walking distance also.

There's also the Alabama River and Riverwalk Park probably 100 yards beyond the outfield fence. There you can hang out and even have dinner on an old riverboat. Lots of other stuff to do as well.
05-10-2018 06:39 PM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
(05-10-2018 05:15 PM)_x_ Wrote:  Hmm. Hopefully it doesn't turn into the basketball tourney in NO.l with nobody in the stands...

Baseball tournaments aren't necessarily money grabbers for anyone though. Primary traveling base for every team are players parents.

The good news is they've kept the park a reasonable distance from most of the league, so if a team makes a run, it won't be difficult for a few fans to hop in late in the tournament.

As it is right now, if the host struggles, fans disappear anyway. I went to the tournament the year it was played in Troy, and the crowds disappeared as soon as Troy finished going 2 and Q. Unless we plan on playing the tournament in Lafayette or Myrtle Beach every year, we're never going to draw large crowds.
05-10-2018 07:54 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
Montgomery is pretty close to the geographic center of the league
05-10-2018 08:10 PM
Advertisement

Eagle22 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: GA Southern
(05-10-2018 05:24 PM)Usajags Wrote:  That's a great stadium and great setting. This will hopefully be a good thing, with GaSt, GaSo, Troy and USA all within a 3 hours drive.(I think GaSo could be reached in three hours)

Solid 4.0-4.5 hrs from the 'Boro minimum.
05-10-2018 08:11 PM
Bobcat87 Offline
San Marvelous Cat

I Root For: TXST, A&M, UNT
Home of The Montgomery Biscuits. . . . . .. Seriously? BISCUITS? ??

They couldn't come up with a better moniker? The fightin' Baseball Biscuits.

Nice ballpark though. . .

About 830 miles / 12 hr. Drive from South TX.
(This post was last modified: 05-10-2018 09:18 PM by Bobcat87.)
05-10-2018 09:10 PM
Bulldogtrojan Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Troy Trojans
I have heard that after this year - the early football game will move to Labor Day weekend and feature a Sun Belt team. Many in Montgomery would like to have the Air Force come in and play. Montgomery will soon be home to the new F-35 jet.
05-10-2018 10:42 PM
RamblinRedWolf Offline
All American

I Root For: Arkansas State
(05-10-2018 09:10 PM)Bobcat87 Wrote:  Home of The Montgomery Biscuits. . . . . .. Seriously? BISCUITS? ??

Believe me there are FAR FAR worse minor league names...
-Wichita wingnuts
-traverse city beach bums
-normal cornbelters
-alberquere isotopes
-Binghamton rumble ponies
-
05-10-2018 11:49 PM
AZcats Offline
1st String

I Root For: stAte, af, zona
(05-10-2018 11:49 PM)RamblinRedWolf Wrote:  
(05-10-2018 09:10 PM)Bobcat87 Wrote:  Home of The Montgomery Biscuits. . . . . .. Seriously? BISCUITS? ??

-Wichita wingnuts
-normal cornbelters
-alberquere isotopes
-

You left off the one that literally takes the cake for the worst minor league name:
-New Orleans Baby Cakes
05-11-2018 01:04 AM
Advertisement

ChattValleyTrojan Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Troy and Auburn
(05-11-2018 01:04 AM)AZcats Wrote:  

-Wichita wingnuts
-normal cornbelters
-alberquere isotopes
-

You left off the one that literally takes the cake for the worst minor league name:
-New Orleans Baby Cakes
Gwinnett Stripers is worse.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
05-11-2018 01:14 AM
Bobcat87 Offline
San Marvelous Cat

I Root For: TXST, A&M, UNT

-Wichita wingnuts
-normal cornbelters
-alberquere isotopes
-

How can you pick on the isotopes? I mean they're Hot. Flat out Radioactive.
05-11-2018 07:40 AM
TrueBlueDrew Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jawjuh Suthen

Montgomery is about a 5 hour drive from Statesboro but if GS is doing well and has a shot, I would make the day trip.
05-11-2018 07:50 AM
bigCasu_ Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Appalachian St
I'm luke warm on this. I preferred the campus rotations because I knew it would bring Coastal into play every so often. Right, I said Coastal, because you know the Sun Belt wouldn't bring the tourney to Boone. If the Apps have a real chance, I'll head down, but won't do it if we had just played in the Camellia Bowl five months prior.
05-11-2018 08:43 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.