Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

To my WKU bretheren.....
Bookmark and Share
THUNDERStruck73 Offline
Complete Jackass

I Root For: Herd, Our Lady, & Heels
To my WKU bretheren.....
I'll be in Beaver Dam tomorrow to see John Prine. Is there a decent place to stay nearby? And where are some good restaurants and watering holes? Thanks in advance.
05-10-2018 04:38 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

WKUYG Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WKU
RE: To my WKU bretheren.....
(05-10-2018 04:38 PM)THUNDERGround Wrote:  I'll be in Beaver Dam tomorrow to see John Prine. Is there a decent place to stay nearby? And where are some good restaurants and watering holes? Thanks in advance.

Beaver Dam is only 35 miles north from Bowling Green and about 25 south of Owensboro (where I live). As for eating out about the only time we do is in BG or Nashville. So cant help you

Beaver Dam is like a two or three stop light town. The only hotel I know of is behind Wendy's about mile after getting off Western Ky parkway. About 3 miles before you get to the Beaver Dam Amphitheater....right up 231

[Image: wendys.png]
(This post was last modified: 05-10-2018 05:06 PM by WKUYG.)
05-10-2018 05:02 PM
ghostofclt Offline
1st String

I Root For: Charlotte
clt says the wendys is good, not great.
05-10-2018 05:04 PM
THUNDERStruck73 Offline
Complete Jackass

(05-10-2018 05:02 PM)WKUYG Wrote:  
(05-10-2018 04:38 PM)THUNDERGround Wrote:  I'll be in Beaver Dam tomorrow to see John Prine. Is there a decent place to stay nearby? And where are some good restaurants and watering holes? Thanks in advance.

Beaver Dam is only 35 miles north from Bowling Green and about 25 south of Owensboro (where I live). As for eating out about the only time we do is in BG or Nashville. So cant help you

Beaver Dam is like a two or three stop light town. The only hotel I know of is behind Wendy's about mile after getting off Western Ky parkway. About 3 miles before you get to the Beaver Dam Amphitheater....right up 231

Thanks Guns. With that in mind, we'll probably stay in BG
05-10-2018 05:18 PM
wkuhilltopperfan Offline
Heisman

(05-10-2018 05:18 PM)THUNDERGround Wrote:  

Yeah beaver damn isn’t very big, there are a few places to stay in Morgantown just down the road towards bowling green, but I’d just keep on rolling down the road and have much better comforts and food in bowling green. Safe travels
05-10-2018 06:14 PM
THUNDERStruck73 Offline
Complete Jackass

Thanks guys. I'll be the guy roaming around in my Herd gear! Lol
05-10-2018 06:24 PM
Advertisement

ghostofclt Offline
1st String

clt is concerned for your safety.
05-10-2018 07:46 PM
Franko Offline
1st String

Beaver Dam is in Ohio County which is right next to Muhlenberg County by the way, if you know any of Prine's tunes you'll know that name.
05-10-2018 08:44 PM
Goherd73 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:
(05-10-2018 08:44 PM)Franko Wrote:  Beaver Dam is in Ohio County which is right next to Muhlenberg County by the way, if you know any of Prine's tunes you'll know that name.

Just the other day I asked my Daddy to take me back there.
05-10-2018 08:56 PM
MUther Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall
CrappiesCrappies
(05-10-2018 06:14 PM)wkuhilltopperfan Wrote:  

Yeah beaver damn isn’t very big, there are a few places to stay in Morgantown just down the road towards bowling green, but I’d just keep on rolling down the road and have much better comforts and food in bowling green. Safe travels

I think he won't be staying in a place called Morgantown on general principle.
05-10-2018 10:12 PM
THUNDERStruck73 Offline
Complete Jackass

(05-10-2018 10:12 PM)MUther Wrote:  

Not a chance
05-10-2018 11:05 PM
Advertisement

THUNDERStruck73 Offline
Complete Jackass

(05-10-2018 08:44 PM)Franko Wrote:  Beaver Dam is in Ohio County which is right next to Muhlenberg County by the way, if you know any of Prine's tunes you'll know that name.

I might let my soul roll on up to the Rochester Dam and be halfway to Heaven. I can play almost all of his songs. My uncle taught me to play guitar with his music.

And CLT, THUNDERGround thanks you and appreciates your concern. 04-cheers
05-10-2018 11:08 PM
dahbeed Offline
Heisman

I Root For: wku toppahs!!!
(05-10-2018 11:05 PM)THUNDERGround Wrote:  
(05-10-2018 05:02 PM)WKUYG Wrote:  Beaver Dam is only 35 miles north from Bowling Green and about 25 south of Owensboro (where I live). As for eating out about the only time we do is in BG or Nashville. So cant help you

Not a chance

Welp. Good decision. Cause Morgantown (KY) is in Butler County. I put Butler County right up there with Edmonson County and you don’t really want to know what I think of Edmonson County. A friend of mine was looking for work one time and the guy hiring asked him if he was from Edmonson County. My friend replied no. The guy then said “Good, those people ain’t worth a shitttt, only good for drawing (not artistically) and growing a few pickles (cucumbers?).”

I haven’t met too many folks that changed my mind on that guy’s take.

Come to BG and there’s plenty of fine places to stay and get your grub on. I’d recommend the Montana Grill. Been around awhile but always good food and good service.

And I got to see Prine about a year ago at The Ryman in Nashville. Probably had been 20 years since I’d seen him. He’s still good.
05-11-2018 12:16 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
THUNDERStruck73 Offline
Complete Jackass

(05-11-2018 12:16 AM)dahbeed Wrote:  
(05-10-2018 11:05 PM)THUNDERGround Wrote:  
(05-10-2018 05:18 PM)THUNDERGround Wrote:  Thanks Guns. With that in mind, we'll probably stay in BG

Not a chance

Welp. Good decision. Cause Morgantown (KY) is in Butler County. I put Butler County right up there with Edmonson County and you don’t really want to know what I think of Edmonson County. A friend of mine was looking for work one time and the guy hiring asked him if he was from Edmonson County. My friend replied no. The guy then said “Good, those people ain’t worth a shitttt, only good for drawing (not artistically) and growing a few pickles (cucumbers?).”

I haven’t met too many folks that changed my mind on that guy’s take.

Come to BG and there’s plenty of fine places to stay and get your grub on. I’d recommend the Montana Grill. Been around awhile but always good food and good service.

And I got to see Prine about a year ago at The Ryman in Nashville. Probably had been 20 years since I’d seen him. He’s still good.

Thanks Beed. Definitely have to check out the Montana Grill. I saw Prine last year as well. You're right. He is still good. 04-cheers
05-11-2018 08:00 AM
Rojogrande Offline
1st String

I used to manage that Beaver Dam Nursing and Rehab shown in the photo of the map above years ago. Drove to work from BG everyday because I refused to move to that area. Lot of drug problems in Ohio County.

Montana Grill is a good choice for a more upscale casual dining. When my wife and I are craving steak that is where we go in BG.

White Squirrel Brewery in Bowling Green also has some solid food options along with some good beer.

Steamers Seafood in downtown Bowling Green flies in fresh seafood from the Atlantic coast. They are a bit pricey as well but you are paying for fresh seafood in landlocked KY.

If you want to eat in Muhlenberg County then I urge to you go to Stellian's in Central City. They have an 8lb deep dish pizza that was pretty solid. Has been a few years since I have been there though.
05-11-2018 11:13 AM
Shadow_Son Offline
Special Teams

Bowling Green has widely been known as one of the highest restaurant per capita cities in the entire US. Unfortunately, a majority of our restaurants and especially the ones on Scottsville Rd are chain places. For the best atmospheres and grub that are locally owned, you really need to make your way to downtown BG. Here's a couple recommendations:

Mariah's:
located at 360 8th Ave, Bowling Green, KY 42101 in the parking structure that is right in the heart of downtown. Mariah's been a BG staple for many years with a wide variety of food on the menu. I recommend the chicken bacon wrap as an absolute cant miss. Pricing ranges from 8-16 bucks a plate.

643 Sports Bar:
This is in the same parking garage as Mariah's but on the opposite end. Service isn't of the highest quality, but I believe they have some of the most underrated food in town. Standard pub/bar food that wont cost you too much. They normally have live music on Friday and Saturday nights.

Double Dogs:
This one is actually located on the dreaded Scottsville road, but is by far the best sports bar in town and it isn't close. Great burgers, wings, and drinks. All draft beer comes in one size - 22oz. Tv's everywhere, awesome music playlist, garage doors that open up, and one of the best dining atmospheres the town has to offer. Highly recommend but they are always on a wait on the weekends.

White Squirrel Brewery:
Located at 871 Broadway Ave, Bowling Green, KY 42101 which is just before you get into downtown. They brew their own beer and have a gastro pub/hipster type of menu that ranges from hummus to chicken tenders to PB&J burgers. Great, great atmosphere that feels very Nashville.

Steamer Seafood:
Located at 801 State St, Steamer is the only seafood joint in town not named red lobster. If you have been to basketball or football games at wku, they have concessions stands that are a big time hit. The owner spent roughly 5 million on renovation and opening costs for the building, and you can tell. The beautiful structure has some cool elements that include a 45 foot/600 pound copper fish that hangs above the bar. If you are dying for seafood, this will suffice. Price is certainly above average, so bring your wallet.

440 Main:
Located 440 E Main Ave (duh), 440 is widely known as the premier fine eating and night life establishment as far as the downtown square is concerned. You can sit on the bar side and order off of a pub type menu in a more relaxed atmosphere, or you can go across the hall and have a white table cloth experience. They have live music in the parking lot every Friday and Saturday night that plays until around 11. Bar closes at midnight - this is where majority of locals do their late night socializing.

Mellow Mushroom:
Yea I know, I said no chain restaurants - but this is different. Located at 1035 Chestnut St, Bowling Green, KY 42101, Mellow has great food and a massive beer selection. Cool atmosphere and the patio is an awesome place to eat. Only a block away from the square. Its mellow, as they say.

Gerrard's Tavern:
New-ish restaurant located at 935 College St, Bowling Green, KY 42101 right down the square from Spencer's Coffee (best coffee around and it ain't close). Shotgun style setup that has a neat menu, but the real prize is the cocktails. They pride themselves on having the best craft cocktails in BG, and I've seen no evidence to suggest anyone has dethroned them. Dim lighting and cool seating really make it a nice spot to grab a bite. Once again, puts you right in the middle of the action of the downtown square

If nightlife is your thing, there are only a couple of options, but they are solid enough.

Cliffs of Mohr:
New Irish pub on the square. Good drinks and atmosphere even though its somewhat of a small space. Definitely more of the sit and talk kind of establishment.

Tidballs:
Hilarious name, but believe it or not its actually the owners god given last name. Located at 522 Morris Aly, Bowling Green, KY 42101, Tidballs has been the premier local music bar for years. Its old, tiny, grungy, and sometimes way too crowded, but its always a good time. There are 3 bands playing there tonight, the headliner being local product "Sugadaisy" who are just flat awesome. Highly recommend giving this place a look.

Dublins:
The famed "melting pot bar" is known for fast drinks and loud rock music. Mostly cover bands perform there so it brings out a massive range in folks demographically. This is normally the bar everyone walks too when 440 decides to close up for the night.

Hope this is helpful. P.S. you are coming to BG on one of the busiest weekends of the year. WKU graduation is all day Saturday followed by mothers day Sunday, so wherever you decide to eat I would make reservations pronto :)
(This post was last modified: 05-11-2018 12:32 PM by Shadow_Son.)
05-11-2018 12:25 PM
Advertisement

ghostofclt Offline
1st String

clt asks about the wendys. Any good?
05-11-2018 01:28 PM
THUNDERStruck73 Offline
Complete Jackass

Thank so for the info guys.. looks like we're staying at Hotel Sync.... my boss reserved the rooms...
05-11-2018 01:47 PM
BKTopper Offline
1st String

(05-10-2018 08:56 PM)Goherd73 Wrote:  

Just the other day I asked my Daddy to take me back there.

I'm sorry my son but you're too late in askin'
05-11-2018 02:01 PM
TribeNiner Offline
1st String

I Root For: Niners/WM/Hoyas
The fact that it's to see Prine means it's already a successful trip.
05-11-2018 02:06 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.