Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

AAC, Navy, and CBSSN announce...
slhNavy91 Online
Heisman

I Root For: Navy
AAC, Navy, and CBSSN announce...
Navy football on CBSSN through 2027.

Joint announcement, so ... well, I don't know. This is interesting.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footba...27-season/
05-09-2018 09:20 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

KNIGHTTIME Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: '17 Natty Champ
RE: AAC, Navy, and CBSSN announce...
So it sounds like navy's deal will be separate from the AAC deal coming soon. So they only get 11 teams with the bigger deal. My guess is Navy gets to keep all the money from the Navy Army game and splits the the portion of the CBS deal with the AAC. Just my guess...
(This post was last modified: 05-09-2018 03:06 PM by KNIGHTTIME.)
05-09-2018 09:25 AM
CoastalJuan Offline
Business Drunk

I Root For: ECU
Don't know what to make of this. Feel like Navy is Notre Daming the conference.
05-09-2018 09:31 AM
Tigersmoke4 Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis
It seems to me that the AAC is working with CBS and Navy because they're also intending to have a broader league package with them also which will eliminate ESPN selling our content to them on cheap. Having Navy's home games should help get all of our teams on CBS during good years.I can see a 8-1 UCF at Navy as a CBS early game rather than being on ESPNU at 3:30. I think this could also be a sign that our next contract will be split, hence Aresco saying that we'll see significantly larger new tv deal
05-09-2018 09:39 AM
slhNavy91 Online
Heisman

(05-09-2018 09:25 AM)KNIGHTTIME Wrote:  So it sounds like navy's deal will be separate from the AAC deal coming soon. So they only get 11 teams with the bigger deal. My guess is Navy gets to keep all the money from thee Navy Army game and splits the the portion of the CBS deal with the AAC. Just my guess...

All the verbiage says Navy's NMCMS home games are (post-2017) part of the AAC inventory.

That's why Aresco AAC was part of the announcement. You could make the argument that Navy was part of the announcement because it ALSO included other Navy sports (Basketball, lacrosse, etc) that aren't part of the AAC inventory.

Head scratcher that Navy inventory was a la carte and wasn't part of the bigger AAC deal to be negotiated but CBS does love us - a big number for 10 years hard for AAC/Aresco to walk away from, I'm sure.
05-09-2018 09:42 AM
gulfcoastgal Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
I didn't read it as Navy strong arming. If the next contract comes close to what Aresco is predicting, then it benefits Navy to take part. To me, this reads as if the CBS sports portion of the Navy contract defaulted to the conference upon expiration, but were not part of the ESPN/AAC original agreement. Rather than rolling it to ESPN inventory only to be sublicensed out, (and leaving Navy/AAC money on the table), they worked to extend it. IMO, this is a sign of things to come with a future split rights fee contract.
05-09-2018 09:44 AM
Advertisement

Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
Well....I may be proven wrong, but I don’t get this at all. That was was one of the assets I saw as increasing the value of our overall package during the open bidding phase of rights bidding (early 2019). Worse yet, we sold it off to the stingiest and least watched of the national sports networks. Unless CBSports had a first right of refusal written into the deal, I can’t explain the move.
(This post was last modified: 05-09-2018 09:53 AM by Attackcoog.)
05-09-2018 09:52 AM
slhNavy91 Online
Heisman

(05-09-2018 09:44 AM)gulfcoastgal Wrote:  I didn't read it as Navy strong arming. If the next contract comes close to what Aresco is predicting, then it benefits Navy to take part. To me, this reads as if the CBS sports portion of the Navy contract defaulted to the conference upon expiration, but were not part of the ESPN/AAC original agreement. Rather than rolling it to ESPN inventory only to be sublicensed out, (and leaving Navy/AAC money on the table), they worked to extend it. IMO, this is a sign of things to come with a future split rights fee contract.

The AAC inventory is roughly 71 home games per year. (Assume 6 home games for most teams, only 5 for Navy with A-N and Navy-ND).
If we want $6 million per team, per year, that's a $72 million per year deal. While an all sports deal includes basketball etc, I am a simple man, so let's say we need to net out $1 million per football game - if we're packaging tiers separately, that's more per game for first tier, plus roughly that for second tier, plus less than that for third tier etc.

So if CBS-SN offered $5-10 million to AAC for five Navy home games (when those would be unlikely to be the first tier Black Friday OTA or ESPN inventory) then this is well worth it to AAC as PART of multi-plex deal.
05-09-2018 09:54 AM
pesik Offline
Legend

without context this could be good or bad...

it could mean navy is NDing the AAC... and navy with has a super special deal or...

.notice at the same time the cbs people thanked the aac, and aresco was part of the presser
..another theory is cbssports desperately wanted navy, all the smart people here are probably saying shouldn't that mean we should have added navy's games to the rest of the AAC and leverage that to get more money for everyone out of cbs...yes, but that would meant we are on cbssports

navy likes cbssports, cbssports desperate wanted navy...the rest of us dont want cbssports, we give navy to cbssports in a seperate deal

just a theory ...i dont know the context of the deal..without it, it could be bad or good
05-09-2018 09:57 AM
Tigersmoke4 Offline
All American

(05-09-2018 09:57 AM)pesik Wrote:  without context this could be good or bad...

it could mean navy is NDing the AAC... and navy with has a super special deal or...

.notice at the same time the cbs people thanked the aac, and aresco was part of the presser
..another theory is cbssports desperately wanted navy, all the smart people here are probably saying shouldn't that mean we should have added navy's games to the rest of the AAC and leverage that to get more money for everyone out of cbs...yes, but that would meant we are on cbssports

navy likes cbssports, cbssports desperate wanted navy...the rest of us dont want cbssports, we give navy to cbssports in a seperate deal

just a theory ...i dont know the context of the deal..without it, it could be bad or good
Or maybe it's a shrewd way to guarantee CBS some quality content that neither ESPN or maybe NBC can touch ahead of further contract negotiations on an overall league package 04-cheers
05-09-2018 10:07 AM
slhNavy91 Online
Heisman

(05-09-2018 09:57 AM)pesik Wrote:  without context this could be good or bad...

Let my try framing it this way - it is possible that five Navy games that CBSSN badly wants were worth more in that one-off deal, than the relative value add of five Navy home games in the overall or first tier package w/ ESPN, NBC, Fox, etc. So AAC takes that quick win, and moves on with full inventory negotiations with all parties who don't hanker for Navy as much as CBSSN does.
It would only take $5-10 million per year for those five games to make it a win for AAC in the context of multi-tiered deals.
05-09-2018 10:08 AM
Advertisement

STL_Wave Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tulane
CBS Sports here is totally separate than OTA CBS right? I wouldn't mind if Navy pulled a ND if it meant they played all/majority of their games on OTA CBS
05-09-2018 10:13 AM
slhNavy91 Online
Heisman

Also, beat writer Bill Wagner has spoken with Chet Gladchuk:

"Also, and this is very important, the American Athletic Conference will be getting the Navy-Notre Dame (in years that Navy is the host) beginning in 2020. That is a huge, huge value the AAC previously did not have."

https://twitter.com/BWagner_CapGaz/statu...5253472262
05-09-2018 10:15 AM
Tigersmoke4 Offline
All American

(05-09-2018 10:13 AM)STL_Wave Wrote:  CBS Sports here is totally separate than OTA CBS right? I wouldn't mind if Navy pulled a ND if it meant they played all/majority of their games on OTA CBS

Without knowing contract specifics, I'd assume that it would be much like the NBE contract with Fox sports where big Fox can pick up any game deem over the air worthy
05-09-2018 10:25 AM
BigHouston Offline
STRONG

I Root For: HOUSTON, USC Trojans
Trying to wrap my mind around this Navy CBSSN seperate tv deal 03-banghead

I mean, I get it CBS is thrilled to death with Navy as a partner but let's not pretend that AAC's power programs in their schedule regularly has not increased their eyeball interest even more now.

I just don't see much leverage going AAC's direction with this deal... IDK, perhaps there's more to come, it has to.
05-09-2018 10:25 AM
Attackcoog Offline

I find it hard to find a way that this makes sense for the AAC. It would seem (especially with the revelation that the Navy-ND game is now part of the AAC pacakge) that the best value is found by subjecting the AAC content to open bidding in the open market. Slicing off some of the most valuable assets and selling them, without open bidding, to the national sports network with the smallest reach and stingiest reputation doesnt seem to be a great move.

Now, if we find CBS-Sports had a right of first refusal in thier deal---that would explain alot of things. If CBS paid a huge premium for the games and promised some CBS-OTA slots---that would be a plus. But none of that was mentioned in the article. In fact, the only new "plus" mentioned in the article was some Navy olympic sports would be broadcast by CBS-Sports. Right now, we dont have enough info to know for sure if it is a good or bad sign. Unfortunately, to me, at first blush---this simply does not look like a good sign for the future deal.
(This post was last modified: 05-09-2018 10:38 AM by Attackcoog.)
05-09-2018 10:34 AM
Advertisement

CoastalJuan Offline
Business Drunk

I Root For: ECU
(05-09-2018 10:34 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  I find it hard to find a way that this makes sense for the AAC. It would seem (especially with the revelation that the Navy-ND game is now part of the AAC pacakge) that the best value is found by subjecting the AAC content to open bidding in the open market. Slicing off some of the most valuable assets and selling them, without open bidding, to the national sports network with the smallest reach and stingiest reputation doesnt seem to be a great move.

Now, if we find CBS-Sports had a right of first refusal in thier deal---that would explain alot of things. If CBS paid a huge premium for the games and promised some CBS-OTA slots---that would be a plus. Right now, we dont have enough info to know for sure if it is a good or bad sign. Unfortunatly, to me, at first blush---this does not look like a good sign for the future deal.

This. I just don't see a way that Navy home games being carved out makes the remaining package more valuable on a per game basis to any bidder.
05-09-2018 10:38 AM
Attackcoog Offline

(05-09-2018 10:38 AM)CoastalJuan Wrote:  
(05-09-2018 10:34 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  I find it hard to find a way that this makes sense for the AAC. It would seem (especially with the revelation that the Navy-ND game is now part of the AAC pacakge) that the best value is found by subjecting the AAC content to open bidding in the open market. Slicing off some of the most valuable assets and selling them, without open bidding, to the national sports network with the smallest reach and stingiest reputation doesnt seem to be a great move.

Now, if we find CBS-Sports had a right of first refusal in thier deal---that would explain alot of things. If CBS paid a huge premium for the games and promised some CBS-OTA slots---that would be a plus. Right now, we dont have enough info to know for sure if it is a good or bad sign. Unfortunatly, to me, at first blush---this does not look like a good sign for the future deal.

This. I just don't see a way that Navy home games being carved out makes the remaining package more valuable on a per game basis to any bidder.

Thats because it doesnt.

On a slightly related note, UFC fighting has signed a new deal with ESPN. Thier content will be placed on ESPN Plus. The earlier rumor was that NBC was splitting the deal with ESPN. Apparently, that was not the case (meaning NBC remains a viable bidder for the AAC in 2019). I would add, NBC also did not renew the Ivy League deal they had (they signed with ESPN Plus as well).
(This post was last modified: 05-09-2018 10:43 AM by Attackcoog.)
05-09-2018 10:39 AM
MU88 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Bill Wagner
‏ @BWagner_CapGaz
30m30 minutes ago

Not having Navy home games as part of its package does hurt the American Athletic Conference to some extent when negotiating its new television deal. However, the AAC will have Navy away games so it's not like a prospective network would not get Navy at all.
0 replies 1 retweet 0 likes

Bill Wagner
‏ @BWagner_CapGaz
31m31 minutes ago

Just spoke with Navy athletic director Chet Gladchuk about the new 10-year deal with CBS. Gladchuk said this is largely about ensuring that all Navy home games are played on Saturday afternoons as has been the custom for decades.
05-09-2018 10:42 AM
Attackcoog Offline

(05-09-2018 10:42 AM)MU88 Wrote:  Bill Wagner
‏ @BWagner_CapGaz
30m30 minutes ago

Not having Navy home games as part of its package does hurt the American Athletic Conference to some extent when negotiating its new television deal. However, the AAC will have Navy away games so it's not like a prospective network would not get Navy at all.
0 replies 1 retweet 0 likes

Bill Wagner
‏ @BWagner_CapGaz
31m31 minutes ago

Just spoke with Navy athletic director Chet Gladchuk about the new 10-year deal with CBS. Gladchuk said this is largely about ensuring that all Navy home games are played on Saturday afternoons as has been the custom for decades.

So there is a good chance we essentially gave up a higher more lucrative deal in exchange for Saturday TV slots for Navy? Like I said, at first blush, this does not appear to be a positive step toward a significantly more valuable future TV deal. That said, until we know the amount---we cant be sure whether this is a positive or negative data point. However, even if it represents a significant raise, I think we have to question whether this maximizes value.
(This post was last modified: 05-09-2018 10:52 AM by Attackcoog.)
05-09-2018 10:47 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.