Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Interesting NCAA Division 1 Men's Basketball Graduation Percentage Rate
Bookmark and Share
Basketball Jones Offline
1st String

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
Interesting NCAA Division 1 Men's Basketball Graduation Percentage Rate
Assistant UT Men's Basketball Coach Kyle Barlow tweeted that the Average Graduation Percentage Rate for NCAA Division 1 Men's Basketball Players is 48%. He added that Coach Kowalczyk's Graduation Rate in 16 Seasons as a Head Coach is 100%! That's a great recruiting tool to use in talking to high school recruits and their parents!
(This post was last modified: 05-04-2018 01:11 PM by Basketball Jones.)
05-04-2018 01:09 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BearcatMan Offline
Kicking Connoisseur/Occasional Man Crush

I Root For: Cincinnati
RE: Interesting NCAA Division 1 Men's Basketball Graduation Percentage Rate
Toledo has always been one of the best in terms of athletics academics. What MO'B and the staff in Larimer have done in recent years is extremely commendable...I believe UT was one of only 9 schools in NCAA Division I to have an APR score above 970 in every sport over the last 5 years.
05-04-2018 01:17 PM
pono Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(05-04-2018 01:09 PM)Basketball Jones Wrote:  Assistant UT Men's Basketball Coach Kyle Barlow tweeted that the Average Graduation Percentage Rate for NCAA Division 1 Men's Basketball Players is 48%. He added that Coach Kowalczyk's Graduation Rate in 16 Seasons as a Head Coach is 100%! That's a great recruiting tool to use in talking to high school recruits and their parents!

Both Edu and Saunders talked about UT's academic success as a factor in choosing the Rockets. Coach K has found a bit of a niche going after guys who have talent but aren't dreaming of leaving college early for the NBA and have sincere academic interest and really want to stay and get their degrees before any professional hoop career.
05-04-2018 03:21 PM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo
I'll be the sour puss.

UT's academic rating is so low. Grade inflation? There seemed to be a lot of show up, get an 'A' classes. Never had one at the first alma mater, but UT? lol. Add in the same tests semester after semester and the files, the tutors that compile at study tables... I'm not convinced of the credibility. And it's not worth promoting a dubious number when you'd be comparing UT to obviously far superior academic institutions. We're not comparing MAC to non-Miami MAC.

I wouldn't even promote its teams' average GPA. WAY too many ways to play that number. And not just at UT. Play the success of the graduates. If it's there, it can't be denied. Get too haughty over those athletic team numbers, you give even one competitor reason to challenge these athletic team numbers.... you lose.

AGP? Someone tells me "100%" and I'll say, look at the transfers.

Promote the concrete. Successful academic graduates, I presume they exist. Those programs, which are nationally rated by credible organizations. Diversity of offerings. Don't grab at weak straws, when you don't need to.
05-04-2018 03:57 PM
Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
(05-04-2018 03:57 PM)eastisbest Wrote:  I'll be the sour puss.

UT's academic rating is so low. Grade inflation? There seemed to be a lot of show up, get an 'A' classes. Never had one at the first alma mater, but UT? lol. Add in the same tests semester after semester and the files, the tutors that compile at study tables... I'm not convinced of the credibility. And it's not worth promoting a dubious number when you'd be comparing UT to obviously far superior academic institutions. We're not comparing MAC to non-Miami MAC.

I wouldn't even promote its teams' average GPA. WAY too many ways to play that number. And not just at UT. Play the success of the graduates. If it's there, it can't be denied. Get too haughty over those athletic team numbers, you give even one competitor reason to challenge these athletic team numbers.... you lose.

Promote the concrete. Successful academic graduates, I presume they exist. Those programs, which are nationally rated by credible organizations. Diversity of offerings. Don't grab at weak straws, when you don't need to.

Went to a top 15 University. transferred to UT after 2 years because a parent's heath issues. Top UT students can compete at top schools. Programs like Engineering, Finance, Pharmacy, etc. aren't show up programs. You see that some of the Rocket recruits have Ivy League offers coming in.
05-06-2018 07:27 AM
IamN2daRockets! Offline
All American

I’m very proud of UT... any historic state “commuter” school has had its share of hurdles to overcome acemdemically when it’s mission was to educate and accept ALL applicants. I think UT has elevated its game considerably over the last 5 to 7 years during very hard economic times and huge reductions in state support. UT certainly set me up well for my engineering career and I now hire UT graduates here in Maumee/Toledo with equal footing to any other school. Typically we hire from Purdue, UC , OSU, UM, Kettering, MSU, CSU, and the best of our recent hires have been from UT. We have recently hired some hard working and brilliant young people from UT. The very large company I work for loves UT graduates due to work ethic and their reasonable expectations for their early careers. UT’s future is bright both academically and athletically.

Go UT and Rockets!
05-06-2018 08:17 AM
Advertisement

eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-06-2018 07:27 AM)Boca Rocket Wrote:  

Went to a top 15 University. transferred to UT after 2 years because a parent's heath issues. Top UT students can compete at top schools. Programs like Engineering, Finance, Pharmacy, etc. aren't show up programs. You see that some of the Rocket recruits have Ivy League offers coming in.

No doubt but anecdotes do not sell. Numbers game alone, it will happen. It will happen at ANY school. I can counter. A UT Math Prof told me he had had TWO good students. He had asked me where I went to high school and recalled the name. Turned out one of them was from there, and went on to UM to get his PhD. It happens.

And the story I related of MY experience also is true. There are too many easy classes, retention through easy grading and not enough focus on improving instruction and the classroom experience. Little vetting or more importantly, intelligent development of the instructional staff. Beyond the tenure process, it's a "that's my friend" or fill the classroom process. MY experience from several directions.

We all know there can be challenging and fun experiences at UT but that's not unique. IMO, it's very important to "stay in the lane" when selling UT programs and that's how headway will be made on the credible ranking services. I'm reminded of the jump on this board when one of those silly "top of the state value" articles came out. It was hollow and even the University backed away from using it. Fake news.

So I emphasize: don't grab at weak straws. There's no reason to. Your experience is one case of that. There are strong programs. Student instruction and services for the general population however, are undeveloped, mainstream and mediocre at best. They are not selling points. A place like UT, which is only anecdotally getting enrollment that knows what it means to "be a student," needs to show value added. They need to show how they take that unprepared student and help turn them into a student that could graduate the best schools in the state and upward. They need to risk retention and the only way to win that game, is to improve both instruction and student performance demands.

Let those "what am I going to use this for" types, go to that school down south. Teach UT students, the value of academics in their lives.
05-06-2018 09:05 AM
MidnightBlueGold Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TOL-EDO

Oh ffs, if it is so damn easy, why doesn't everyone graduate with 4.0s? If there are "a lot of show up, get an 'A' classes", then way more people should be graduating with 3.0-3.5-4.0s.

And your pretty much just giving all UT graduates a slap in the face with your comments. Congrats, a**hole.
(This post was last modified: 05-06-2018 09:29 AM by MidnightBlueGold.)
05-06-2018 09:25 AM
AquaRocket Offline
Special Teams

(05-06-2018 09:25 AM)MidnightBlueGold Wrote:  

Oh ffs, if it is so damn easy, why doesn't everyone graduate with 4.0s? If there are "a lot of show up, get an 'A' classes", then way more people should be graduating with 3.0-3.5-4.0s.

And your pretty much just giving all UT graduates a slap in the face with your comments. Congrats, a**hole.
+1
05-06-2018 07:01 PM
PTLROCK Offline
1st String

I totally agree with this. “Top UT students can compete at top schools. Programs like Engineering, Finance, Pharmacy, etc. aren't show up programs. You see that some of the Rocket recruits have Ivy League offers coming in.”

I trained pharmacy students from multiple Universities of all sizes. UT students are sharp and well trained. The UT students were excellent students from an intelligence and work ethic perspective. The comments made against UT students and faculty were inappropriate and reflect a lack of true understanding.
05-07-2018 08:25 AM
BearcatMan Offline

(05-07-2018 08:25 AM)PTLROCK Wrote:  

I totally agree with this. “Top UT students can compete at top schools. Programs like Engineering, Finance, Pharmacy, etc. aren't show up programs. You see that some of the Rocket recruits have Ivy League offers coming in.”

I trained pharmacy students from multiple Universities of all sizes. UT students are sharp and well trained. The UT students were excellent students from an intelligence and work ethic perspective. The comments made against UT students and faculty were inappropriate and reflect a lack of true understanding.

I'll just say this in support...there's a reason why UT has been #1 in placement rates for Engineering grads in the state of Ohio each of the last 6 years. This is coming from a guy with engineering degrees from two other institutions in the State (Cincinnati and Ohio State).
(This post was last modified: 05-07-2018 10:00 AM by BearcatMan.)
05-07-2018 09:59 AM
Advertisement

NashHall61 Offline
Water Engineer

(05-07-2018 09:59 AM)BearcatMan Wrote:  
(05-07-2018 08:25 AM)PTLROCK Wrote:  

I'll just say this in support...there's a reason why UT has been #1 in placement rates for Engineering grads in the state of Ohio each of the last 6 years. This is coming from a guy with engineering degrees from two other institutions in the State (Cincinnati and Ohio State).

RE: Eastisbest: Won't even call u an a..hole! After reading a good number of your posts I'm often surprised at your constant negativity on any issue related to praising UT. This often leads me to move on to the next post after seeing your name. I've received advanced degrees from two universities (Seton Hall and Rutgers) after my time at Toledo. I can definitely say that a lot of what I do in my present job I learned from my time in Toledo!
05-07-2018 11:19 AM
PaulJ Offline
1st String

Do you know why UT ranking in US and World New Report is low? Do you know what factors/data drive those rankings? I can tell you graduating GPA and "grade inflation" are not.
05-07-2018 11:19 AM
MotoRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

I will agree with your post - the top students at UT are as good as a number of the students at the top tier programs.

However, the comparison of the entire UT student base to the student base at a school like Michigan isn't even close. After getting my bachelor from UT, I worked for 20 years as a CPA for an international CPA firm and 2 Fortune 500 companies. When I was accepted for the UM Ross Business school, I felt pretty intimated with a number of the students there and their knowledge, ability to grasp concepts quickly, and to be very succinct in presentations. And I had a lot more experience in the working world than most of those students. Good thing, because it helped me keep up with them. Trying to compare a GPA at UT to UM is not apples to apples.

To get back to the point, top 10% students at UT will fit in at pretty much any school in the country. They will not likely be the top 10% at those schools, but will not be out of place at all and will contribute greatly. Nothing to be ashamed of with a UT degree - it is all what you make of it. The competition for grades is not as great as the upper tier schools - I don't think anyone would argue with that if they were being objective.
(This post was last modified: 05-07-2018 03:05 PM by MotoRocket.)
05-07-2018 03:04 PM
BearcatMan Offline

(05-07-2018 11:19 AM)PaulJ Wrote:  

Do you know why UT ranking in US and World New Report is low? Do you know what factors/data drive those rankings? I can tell you graduating GPA and "grade inflation" are not.

Got to love the antiquated 4 year graduation model when your largest college requires students to stay longer...that metric along drops us out of the Top 200. On the plus side, the rapid increase in research dollars as per the State of the University address, and the increase in major gifts, will certainly help in coming years.
05-07-2018 03:28 PM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-07-2018 11:19 AM)PaulJ Wrote:  

Because it's not considered as good as the 400 ahead of it? Because of the quality of the graduates? Their scores on common post graduate exams? There are tons of rankings with tons of requirements. UT needs to rise in those that will attract those researchers and students that will assist in a climb in those rankings and quality? We agree?

Well there's the one that "won't call me an a-hole," and those that apparently doubt my honesty in relating my PERSONAL experience: these I'd call exhibit A and B for University failures. Those that do not understand "a lot" does not imply "most," but then, how many bad apples does it take to lower the level and all that... Exhibit C.

That I relate the number of just too easy classes with unprepared Professors I had, with little requirements also doesn't imply those that graduated, didn't work for it. Again, doesn't take too many bad apples to spoil the pie.

All I'm hearing is homerisms and excuses from people that do not seem to understand, there's a process that has to be gone through in order to improve. An important first aspect of that is critical self-analysis. It's not to be feared. "Yeah boy," changes nothing.
05-07-2018 07:30 PM
Advertisement

eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-07-2018 03:04 PM)MotoRocket Wrote:  I will agree with your post - the top students at UT are as good as a number of the students at the top tier programs.

However, the comparison of the entire UT student base to the student base at a school like Michigan isn't even close. After getting my bachelor from UT, I worked for 20 years as a CPA for an international CPA firm and 2 Fortune 500 companies. When I was accepted for the UM Ross Business school, I felt pretty intimated with a number of the students there and their knowledge, ability to grasp concepts quickly, and to be very succinct in presentations. And I had a lot more experience in the working world than most of those students. Good thing, because it helped me keep up with them. Trying to compare a GPA at UT to UM is not apples to apples.

To get back to the point, top 10% students at UT will fit in at pretty much any school in the country. They will not likely be the top 10% at those schools, but will not be out of place at all and will contribute greatly. Nothing to be ashamed of with a UT degree - it is all what you make of it. The competition for grades is not as great as the upper tier schools - I don't think anyone would argue with that if they were being objective.

and MY point, which the homers want to ignore or are incapable on comprehending, it's the instruction that matters. If UT is to improve, they have to get better at SOMETHING. Attacking the messenger, does not make progress.

They and their alums should not rest their entire arguments as to why the rankings are bad, on the students.
05-07-2018 07:40 PM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-07-2018 08:25 AM)PTLROCK Wrote:  I trained pharmacy students from multiple Universities of all sizes. UT students are sharp and well trained. The UT students were excellent students from an intelligence and work ethic perspective. The comments made against UT students and faculty were inappropriate and reflect a lack of true understanding.

Which comments "against UT students" are you referencing? MINE were about instruction. R.I.F. But I'm glad you were one of the good ones. I would say your opinion that my comments do not reflect a "true" understanding were made with ignorance. Since you're a good instructor, you'd have to say the same, no? You've no idea the source of the information.

You trained "Pharmacy Students." And what are the requirements for entrance to that program? Weakest of the weak no doubt? Probably no study skills. 03-wink Apples, meet oranges. Upper class Pharmacy students are not what most would consider indicative of the instructional challenges. The weeding process long took place before they got to you, no?

As I recall, the Pharmacy program has a decent ranking and is probably not where someone would look first to cure University ills.
05-07-2018 07:52 PM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo R0ckets
(05-04-2018 01:17 PM)BearcatMan Wrote:  Toledo has always been one of the best in terms of athletics academics. What MO'B and the staff in Larimer have done in recent years is extremely commendable...I believe UT was one of only 9 schools in NCAA Division I to have an APR score above 970 in every sport over the last 5 years.

Of course, before he got here we got hammered on APR. Coach K has done a great job in that regard.
05-07-2018 08:01 PM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-04-2018 01:17 PM)BearcatMan Wrote:  Toledo has always been one of the best in terms of athletics academics. What MO'B and the staff in Larimer have done in recent years is extremely commendable...I believe UT was one of only 9 schools in NCAA Division I to have an APR score above 970 in every sport over the last 5 years.

Without rehashing the entire point of GPA relativity, the additional resources for that "success" are paid for by one of the higher student fees in the state, no?

There's movement on this issue. Statewide and on campus. I'm just the messenger.

AS I UNDERSTAND IT: While the athletic Dept. or the university might choose to promote this team GPA in order to recruit or glad hand some pay raises, to other students it might (well, does) say, how much better they might be able to perform with access to the same resources. These are resources the general student pays for and has no access to. Correct and fair?

And the university is also considering return to "athletic dorms." Do I recall that correctly?
05-07-2018 08:02 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.