Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

New Mexico State Basketball Recruiting
Bookmark and Share
FINALFOUR1970SWEETSIXTEEN1992 Offline
1st String

I Root For: NMSU Aggies
New Mexico State Basketball Recruiting
According to twitter and the NMSU message board,

New Mexico State have two of the top JUCO big men on campus this weekend.

6'8 Mohamed Thiam who is the 6th best JUCO recruit and 6'8 Ivan Aurrecoechea who is the 10th best JUCO is visiting NMSU.

05-03-2018 02:40 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

dancingNMSUaggie Offline
1st String

I Root For: NMSU
RE: New Mexico State Basketball Recruiting
There is a thread for WAC commits Frank. Put this stuff on there. It maintains order and it's less obnoxious. Getting one of these guys would be good, getting both would be great. Of course, stars and ratings don't mean squat until the games are played on the floor. NMSU needs some skilled bigs in a big way. Glad to finally hear of some recruiting activity going on.
05-03-2018 10:50 PM
NMSUPistolPete Offline
All American

I think Frank started a separate thread because neither players has committed to NMSU just yet. NMSU is simply recruiting them right now but he wanted to make the other WAC fans aware of what NMSU (Jans) is targeting. When (if) they commit to NMSU, I am sure he will had them to the commit thread.
05-04-2018 03:57 AM
gleadley Offline
1st String

I Root For: GCU
(05-04-2018 03:57 AM)NMSUPistolPete Wrote:  I think Frank started a separate thread because neither players has committed to NMSU just yet. NMSU is simply recruiting them right now but he wanted to make the other WAC fans aware of what NMSU (Jans) is targeting. When (if) they commit to NMSU, I am sure he will had them to the commit thread.

So thoughtful and kind of Frank. Just looking out for his fellow WAC fans. What a giver.
05-04-2018 07:34 AM
dancingNMSUaggie Offline
1st String

I know it's premature to say, but if we do get the #6 and #10 ranked junior college players in America coupled with what we have coming back (AJ Harris, Johnny McCants, Sidy Ndir and Eli Chuha), and transfers Zamora and proven scorer Bobbit along with solid back up Shun Buchanan at backup, the WAC will be ours once again. No contest. Sorry Dan and Mr. Colangelo.
05-04-2018 05:30 PM
NMSUPistolPete Offline
All American

(05-04-2018 05:30 PM)dancingNMSUaggie Wrote:  I know it's premature to say, but if we do get the #6 and #10 ranked junior college players in America coupled with what we have coming back (AJ Harris, Johnny McCants, Sidy Ndir and Eli Chuha), and transfers Zamora and proven scorer Bobbit along with solid back up Shun Buchanan at backup, the WAC will be ours once again. No contest. Sorry Dan and Mr. Colangelo.

"IF" NMSU can land Aurrecoechea and Thiam, NMSU will not be overly tall but they will will have a deep bench; with Eli Chuha (6'7, 230, Sr.), CJ Bobbitt (6'7, 225, Jr.), Johnny McCants (6'7, 220, So.), Robert Brown (6'9, 238, Fr.), Leston Gordon (6'8, 215, Sr.) and... Mohamed Thiam (6'8, 205, Jr) and Ivan Aurrecoechea (6'8, 240, Jr).
05-05-2018 06:27 PM
Advertisement

NMSUPistolPete Offline
All American

Since Frank started this thread, NMSU has JUCO guard Clayton Henry (6'5, 190, JC) from Palm Beach State College visiting from May 6th-8th. He is originally from Calgary, Canada.

(This post was last modified: 05-06-2018 01:52 PM by NMSUPistolPete.)
05-06-2018 01:50 PM
FINALFOUR1970SWEETSIXTEEN1992 Offline
1st String

I Root For: NMSU Aggies
If NMSU signs these two big men, it's another WAC Championship for New Mexico State. I don't see how GCU, Utah Valley, and Seattle can compete with this loaded up basketball team.
05-06-2018 09:14 PM
NMSUPistolPete Offline
All American

I have my fingers crossed but I don't want to speculate on how good next season's team will be until we have an official announcement that both are coming to NMSU. Right now, GCU and Seattle have some major upgrades to their respective rosters coming. NMSU needs Thiam and Aurrecoechea or other players of equivalent talent to keep pace and keep the Aggies the big dog of the WAC.
05-06-2018 10:56 PM
dancingNMSUaggie Offline
1st String

I never understood Pistol your fetish with GCU. Explain to me how this year's recruiting class is "a major upgrade"? The Finke transfer really did nothing to impress at Illinois. He stunk when we played against him. Young Finke hasn't proven anything. The transfers who are not eligible yet were ok at their previous schools, nothing spectacular. I don't think Rhymes is that much better than Vernon or Glaze. Again, every year since Majerle took over we hear the same thing every year about a breakthrough recruiting class but still the same result, end up 2nd or 3rd and lose in the first round in a crappy tourney.
05-07-2018 09:21 AM
PojoaquePosse Offline
Blowhard

(05-07-2018 09:21 AM)dancingNMSUaggie Wrote:  I never understood Pistol your fetish with GCU. Explain to me how this year's recruiting class is "a major upgrade"? The Finke transfer really did nothing to impress at Illinois. He stunk when we played against him. Young Finke hasn't proven anything. The transfers who are not eligible yet were ok at their previous schools, nothing spectacular. I don't think Rhymes is that much better than Vernon or Glaze. Again, every year since Majerle took over we hear the same thing every year about a breakthrough recruiting class but still the same result, end up 2nd or 3rd and lose in the first round in a crappy tourney.

Pistol has a fetish with GCU? Hmmmm...
05-07-2018 09:31 AM
Advertisement

NMSUPistolPete Offline
All American

(05-07-2018 09:21 AM)dancingNMSUaggie Wrote:  I never understood Pistol your fetish with GCU. Explain to me how this year's recruiting class is "a major upgrade"? The Finke transfer really did nothing to impress at Illinois. He stunk when we played against him. Young Finke hasn't proven anything. The transfers who are not eligible yet were ok at their previous schools, nothing spectacular. I don't think Rhymes is that much better than Vernon or Glaze. Again, every year since Majerle took over we hear the same thing every year about a breakthrough recruiting class but still the same result, end up 2nd or 3rd and lose in the first round in a crappy tourney.

Dancing, you're too dismissive of GCU new additions. JJ Rhymes is a the same level of signing as if NMSU signs either Aurrecoechea or Thiam. Rhymes is a NJCAA 1st team All-American and the POTY in the Jayhawk league; typically one of the toughest JC conferences in the nations. He averaged nearly 20 ppg for Hutchinson CC. He was a 3-star HS prospect before going the JC route. At the very least, he gives GCU another scorer next season. And, keep in mind, D1 players who are role players at upper tier conference come to the WAC to expand their role. St. Louis transfer Grandy Glaze was a perfect of that. I think 6'10 Michael Finke will be a double digit scorer for GCU. The great thing is GCU continues to ratchet up the level of talent on its roster. And, to this point, NMSU has always had an answer for it with either even better talent or improved coaching (Menzies<Weir<Jans).

GCU aside, the WAC team I really think NMSU fans are going to need to be aware of is Seattle U. The Redhawks were a tough out last March. And, I think they will be an even tougher out next season. Seattle brings in a number of D1 transfers which should make the team even taller and more athletic. Not to mention the Freshmen and JC center Hayford added last fall and this spring.
(This post was last modified: 05-07-2018 11:27 AM by NMSUPistolPete.)
05-07-2018 11:25 AM
dancingNMSUaggie Offline
1st String

OK PP. Fetish is probably the wrong word. Let's just say IMO he gives them to much credit. I think GCU's recruiting classes have always been decent but in no way shape or form going to get them to Top 25 Gonzaga like status that Majerle is always blathering about. Like I said in the past, since Majerle took over and since Royce Woolridge was the first savior transfer that was going to make them get over the hump supposedly, they have done well getting 20 plus wins by playing pansies all at home on their OCC schedule in front of the Havocs and loading up with pretty decent players. However, they have not broke through like even Bakersfield did winning a WAC regular season and tourney title and getting to the final four in the NIT, the only other real post season tourney that means anything. Unlike GCU, Utah Valley has even won games in those buy in tourneys. So far, ZERO post season wins other than the WAC tourney. I love our GCU guys on this site, no disrespect. I'm just not buying in just yet on what I have seen up to this point with Majerle at the helm. I think this coming year another 3rd or 4th place finish is in GCUs future for the upcoming year, especially if NMSU snags those two top 10 juco forwards adding on to an already pretty solid team coming back.
05-07-2018 11:50 AM
dancingNMSUaggie Offline
1st String

I agree Seattle is no slouch. Also, Utah Valley will be solid again. IMO Rhymes and the transfer from Western Washington is solid. I'm not sold on the Stinke brothers. GCU will do fine again playing borderline junior colleges at home to pad the wins and then do decent again in the WAC. Seattle, Utah Valley and NMSU all have better coaches than Majerle . Some GCU fans I have talked to that really know basketball also agree that Majerle is a mediocre coach at best. Star power, hissy fits and a fiery personality alone don't win championships. Trashing players at press conferences does not inspire anyone either.
(This post was last modified: 05-07-2018 11:56 AM by dancingNMSUaggie.)
05-07-2018 11:55 AM
LopesUp Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Grand Canyon
Not that I give two craps about the CIT or any buy in tourney, but you are wrong about GCU having ZERO post season wins other than the WAC tourney.

The Lopes won 2 games and made it to the Quaterfinals of the 2016 CIT Tournament.

(05-07-2018 11:50 AM)dancingNMSUaggie Wrote:  OK PP. Fetish is probably the wrong word. Let's just say IMO he gives them to much credit. I think GCU's recruiting classes have always been decent but in no way shape or form going to get them to Top 25 Gonzaga like status that Majerle is always blathering about. Like I said in the past, since Majerle took over and since Royce Woolridge was the first savior transfer that was going to make them get over the hump supposedly, they have done well getting 20 plus wins by playing pansies all at home on their OCC schedule in front of the Havocs and loading up with pretty decent players. However, they have not broke through like even Bakersfield did winning a WAC regular season and tourney title and getting to the final four in the NIT, the only other real post season tourney that means anything. Unlike GCU, Utah Valley has even won games in those buy in tourneys. So far, ZERO post season wins other than the WAC tourney. I love our GCU guys on this site, no disrespect. I'm just not buying in just yet on what I have seen up to this point with Majerle at the helm. I think this coming year another 3rd or 4th place finish is in GCUs future for the upcoming year, especially if NMSU snags those two top 10 juco forwards adding on to an already pretty solid team coming back.
05-07-2018 03:11 PM
dancingNMSUaggie Offline
1st String

(05-07-2018 03:11 PM)LopesUp Wrote:  Not that I give two craps about the CIT or any buy in tourney, but you are wrong about GCU having ZERO post season wins other than the WAC tourney.

The Lopes won 2 games and made it to the Quaterfinals of the 2016 CIT Tournament.

(05-07-2018 11:50 AM)dancingNMSUaggie Wrote:  OK PP. Fetish is probably the wrong word. Let's just say IMO he gives them to much credit. I think GCU's recruiting classes have always been decent but in no way shape or form going to get them to Top 25 Gonzaga like status that Majerle is always blathering about. Like I said in the past, since Majerle took over and since Royce Woolridge was the first savior transfer that was going to make them get over the hump supposedly, they have done well getting 20 plus wins by playing pansies all at home on their OCC schedule in front of the Havocs and loading up with pretty decent players. However, they have not broke through like even Bakersfield did winning a WAC regular season and tourney title and getting to the final four in the NIT, the only other real post season tourney that means anything. Unlike GCU, Utah Valley has even won games in those buy in tourneys. So far, ZERO post season wins other than the WAC tourney. I love our GCU guys on this site, no disrespect. I'm just not buying in just yet on what I have seen up to this point with Majerle at the helm. I think this coming year another 3rd or 4th place finish is in GCUs future for the upcoming year, especially if NMSU snags those two top 10 juco forwards adding on to an already pretty solid team coming back.
My bad. Congrats on the C(h)IT wins! Anyway, like I said, GCU will be certainly competing always at the top of the WAC, which frankly is not that big of an accomplishment. The UMKC, UTRGV and Chicago State programs are atrocious, and Bakersfield is sliding back in that bottom half of the league where they belong after those few lucky years. You can't sustain a basketball program with those horrible facilities they have. I look forward to the upcoming year, especially the GCU/NMSU games! Congrats GCU fans on waking up the NMSU fanbase! We hadn't had 13000 at the Pan Am in ages! I might even go down there and cheer for you in person when you guys play Boise State!
05-07-2018 04:36 PM
Advertisement

ProfScott Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: GCU
[/quote]
I look forward to the upcoming year, especially the GCU/NMSU games! Congrats GCU fans on waking up the NMSU fanbase! We hadn't had 13000 at the Pan Am in ages! I might even go down there and cheer for you in person when you guys play Boise State!
[/quote]
You're welcome! Glad we could help wake up the NMSU fanbase. Not bad for a mediocre team with a mediocre coach and a lot of people drinking purple kool-aid.
(This post was last modified: 05-07-2018 04:52 PM by ProfScott.)
05-07-2018 04:52 PM
Vaqueronation Offline
2nd String

I Root For: utrgv
This years nmsu team is the least intimidating since the new wac came to be. This is going to be one of those years where someone else is going to win the wac tourney out of nowhere. Like Bakersfield did.
05-07-2018 05:20 PM
NMSUPistolPete Offline
All American

(05-07-2018 05:20 PM)Vaqueronation Wrote:  This years nmsu team is the least intimidating since the new wac came to be. This is going to be one of those years where someone else is going to win the wac tourney out of nowhere. Like Bakersfield did.

Well, until NMSU fills its last few scholarships, it still difficult to quantify next season Aggie team. But, I understand your sentiment given NMSU current roster. As an Aggie fan, I'm very anxious to hear some substantial recruiting news. I do think NMSU has some very good pieces returning (AJ Harris, Sidy Ndir, Eli Chuha) but Jans will need more if he wants to improve on last season's performance.
(This post was last modified: 05-07-2018 09:55 PM by NMSUPistolPete.)
05-07-2018 09:53 PM
dancingNMSUaggie Offline
1st String

(03-24-2018 11:03 AM)CrimsonPhantom Wrote:  
(03-24-2018 10:46 AM)Lopes87 Wrote:  At the time he didn't have one to offer and the kid still showed up and was on the team till Jans offered him a scholarship. What part of he didn't have a scholarship to hand out don't you get? lol

If a coach really wants a player, you make room on your roster.

I look forward to the upcoming year, especially the GCU/NMSU games! Congrats GCU fans on waking up the NMSU fanbase! We hadn't had 13000 at the Pan Am in ages! I might even go down there and cheer for you in person when you guys play Boise State!
[/quote]
You're welcome! Glad we could help wake up the NMSU fanbase. Not bad for a mediocre team with a mediocre coach and a lot of people drinking purple kool-aid.
[/quote]

Your fanbase and coach that does a lot of yapping! Yeah, that woke us up, not your "awesome" program!
05-07-2018 10:12 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.