Open TigerLinks

Men's Tennis makes NCAAs, again
Bookmark and Share
fsquid Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis, Queens (NC)

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame
Men's Tennis makes NCAAs, again
I think they have the longest postseason streak right now on Normal Street.

http://www.ncaa.com/interactive-bracket/tennis-men/d1
05-02-2018 08:23 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ballhog Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis
RE: Men's Tennis makes NCAAs, again
What are our chances to advance? I see Miss. St. is ranked 6th and would be at home.
05-02-2018 08:33 AM
k2tigers Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
is that what, 3-4 years in a row now
05-02-2018 08:35 AM
fsquid Offline
Legend

(05-02-2018 08:33 AM)ballhog Wrote:  What are our chances to advance? I see Miss. St. is ranked 6th and would be at home.

I'm guessing its good to win round one and we would be massive underdogs in round 2?
05-02-2018 02:30 PM
AlonsoWDC Offline
Hall of Famer

I dunno about massive. Tennis is on the chaotic side of things and at the end of the day, us meeting State is still a 1v2 matchup in a four-team regional.
05-02-2018 04:24 PM
Advertisement

mccarverslawyer Offline
Special Teams

They are major underdogs should they play MSU.

There are 2 NCAA D1 Tennis tournaments each Spring - one for school (team) championship and the other for Individual Singles/Doubles championship.

Mississippi State in the team format is seeded,correct, however, the #1 MSU player won the SEC singles championship and is #3 seed overall in the NCAA Individual Singles Bracket. He and a teammate also won SEC doubles championship and are seeded in the NCAA Individual Doubles Bracket as well - #1 seeds. For comparison the best Memphis player is an Alternate in Singles and in Doubles meaning regularly invited (a conference champion) players have to withdraw just for Memphis players to play in the NCAA Individual Championship.

How an individual does in Individual Championship does not affect Team Championship scoring totals - for instance John Isner, and back in the day Connors and McEnroe won NCAA Singles Individual Championships but their school (team) was not NCAA Champion.

Bottom Line it will be a major upset for Memphis to beat Mississippi State - they would be playing the SEC team champions (as of Sunday) and SEC is a perennial top Tennis conference (10 SEC teams in NCAA tournament).

Unfortunately, there is another reality against us in that this is a non-revenue sport and scholarships aren't equal..Power 5 particularly SEC have the money to allocate 6 full scholarships for mens tennis. Non P5 schools may only allocate 4 full mens tennis scholarships - the #1 and #2 have full scholarships but the remaining 2 are cut into 4 half scholarships. So the quality of the lower Top 6 players at P5 are generally better.

Hope that provides some context -
(This post was last modified: 05-03-2018 05:37 AM by mccarverslawyer.)
05-02-2018 06:56 PM
fsquid Offline
Legend

Thanks for the knowledge

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using CSNbbs mobile app
05-03-2018 06:22 AM
Tiger87 Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-02-2018 06:56 PM)mccarverslawyer Wrote:  They are major underdogs should they play MSU.

There are 2 NCAA D1 Tennis tournaments each Spring - one for school (team) championship and the other for Individual Singles/Doubles championship.

Mississippi State in the team format is seeded,correct, however, the #1 MSU player won the SEC singles championship and is #3 seed overall in the NCAA Individual Singles Bracket. He and a teammate also won SEC doubles championship and are seeded in the NCAA Individual Doubles Bracket as well - #1 seeds. For comparison the best Memphis player is an Alternate in Singles and in Doubles meaning regularly invited (a conference champion) players have to withdraw just for Memphis players to play in the NCAA Individual Championship.

How an individual does in Individual Championship does not affect Team Championship scoring totals - for instance John Isner, and back in the day Connors and McEnroe won NCAA Singles Individual Championships but their school (team) was not NCAA Champion.

Bottom Line it will be a major upset for Memphis to beat Mississippi State - they would be playing the SEC team champions (as of Sunday) and SEC is a perennial top Tennis conference (10 SEC teams in NCAA tournament).

Unfortunately, there is another reality against us in that this is a non-revenue sport and scholarships aren't equal..Power 5 particularly SEC have the money to allocate 6 full scholarships for mens tennis. Non P5 schools may only allocate 4 full mens tennis scholarships - the #1 and #2 have full scholarships but the remaining 2 are cut into 4 half scholarships. So the quality of the lower Top 6 players at P5 are generally better.

Lapides? jk

Nice overview
05-03-2018 02:24 PM
NigelTufnel Offline
Spelling Bee Champiun

I Root For: Ribs and Beer!
(05-02-2018 06:56 PM)mccarverslawyer Wrote:  They are major underdogs should they play MSU.

Pffft ... we got this.
05-04-2018 08:59 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

NigelTufnel Offline
Spelling Bee Champiun

They have the dates up now, first round against S Alabama on May 11, assuming we get through, 2nd round against Cow Tip University on May 12.
05-07-2018 02:09 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
UOFMGLENN Offline
The Grand Wazoo

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
Live stream beginning at 10:00 today

http://hailstate.com/sports/2016/12/7/me...-live.aspx
05-11-2018 09:47 AM
fsquid Offline
Legend

Memphis took the doubles point.
05-11-2018 11:27 AM
fsquid Offline
Legend

looks like it will come down to the match on court 5. 3-1 Tigers but they are losing bad in 2 of the remaining 3 matches. Court 5 going to a third set.
05-11-2018 12:42 PM
Advertisement

UOFMGLENN Offline
The Grand Wazoo

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(05-11-2018 12:42 PM)fsquid Wrote:  looks like it will come down to the match on court 5. 3-1 Tigers but they are losing bad in 2 of the remaining 3 matches. Court 5 going to a third set.
It's not looking good
05-11-2018 12:55 PM
fsquid Offline
Legend

nope
05-11-2018 12:56 PM
mccarverslawyer Offline
Special Teams

Just as well they would have been drilled by MSU at their facility regardless like South Alabama today (I think MSU beat them in under 90 minutes - that's fast). For non P5 getting a bid is about as much as you can be happy with - the gap has widened (I know so in tennis) and seems like it has in other non-revenue sports as well.

Historically about the best non-revenue non P5 program is the Houston golf team and they haven't won a NCAA title in about 20 years after winning about 15 NCAA championships previously.

Gotta pay in order to play in the NCAA -
(This post was last modified: 05-12-2018 04:02 PM by mccarverslawyer.)
05-12-2018 04:01 PM
NigelTufnel Offline
Spelling Bee Champiun

(05-12-2018 04:01 PM)mccarverslawyer Wrote:  Just as well they would have been drilled by MSU at their facility regardless like South Alabama today (I think MSU beat them in under 90 minutes - that's fast). For non P5 getting a bid is about as much as you can be happy with - the gap has widened (I know so in tennis) and seems like it has in other non-revenue sports as well.

Historically about the best non-revenue non P5 program is the Houston golf team and they haven't won a NCAA title in about 20 years after winning about 15 NCAA championships previously.

Gotta pay in order to play in the NCAA -

Coastal Carolina won the NCAA baseball championships ... I believe Rice did as well not too long ago.
05-13-2018 05:14 PM
Advertisement

Mimi Offline
Who farted??

I Root For: reasonableness
Depends.

Hockey
Lacrosse
Etc...
...and more, non P5 teams win a lot.

But yes, of course, money helps.
05-14-2018 08:16 AM
fsquid Offline
Legend

Columbia is the only one in the final 16 that isn't P5. Lacrosse and Hockey are different because I think about 50-60 schools participate.
05-14-2018 09:13 AM
mccarverslawyer Offline
Special Teams

Baseball and particularly Hockey, while not Football and Basketball do produce some revenue which mitigates their program operational expenses - they are not exactly a Cross Country program which is totally subsidized.

Google NCAA hockey attendance - University of North Dakota avg. attendance 11,500. Half the B 10 hockey teams averaged at or greater attendance than Memphis basketball under Tubby.

NCAA Hockey Frozen Four attendance draws like an NCAA basketball regional - they do make some money unlike Tennis, Golf, Swimming, Track and most other pure non-revenue sports.

Previous poster says 15 of the Sweet 16 are P5 - and Columbia the lone outlier is seeded and was a host site at the National Tennis Center where US Open is played.
(This post was last modified: 05-15-2018 12:43 PM by mccarverslawyer.)
05-14-2018 12:21 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.