Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Democrats lose ground with millennials, as the Republican Party is more appealing
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
Democrats lose ground with millennials, as the Republican Party is more appealing
Quote:Why Are Millennials Becoming Conservative? Last year studies emerged showing a trend towards traditional values and conservatism. Now we are seeing another survey from Reuters and Ipsos this time saying that young people, millennials, and moving towards the republican party and away from the democrats.

MANCHESTER, N.H. (Reuters) - Enthusiasm for the Democratic Party is waning among millennials as its candidates head into the crucial midterm congressional elections, according to the Reuters/Ipsos national opinion poll.

The online survey of more than 16,000 registered voters ages 18 to 34 shows their support for Democrats over Republicans for Congress slipped by about 9 percentage points over the past two years, to 46 percent overall. And they increasingly say the Republican Party is a better steward of the economy.

Although nearly two of three young voters polled said they do not like Republican President Donald Trump, their distaste for him does not necessarily extend to all Republicans or translate directly into votes for Democratic congressional candidates.

That presents a potential problem for Democrats who have come to count on millennials as a core constituency - and will need all the loyalty they can get to achieve a net gain of 23 seats to capture control of the U.S. House of Representatives in November.

Young voters represent an opportunity and a risk for both parties, said Donald Green, a political science professor at Columbia University in New York City.

“They’re not as wedded to one party,” Green said. “They’re easier to convince than, say, your 50- or 60-year-olds who don’t really change their minds very often.”

Terry Hood, 34, an African-American who works at a Dollar General store in Baton Rouge, Louisiana and took this year’s poll, said he voted for Democrat Hillary Clinton in the 2016 presidential election.

But he will consider a Republican for Congress because he believes the party is making it easier to find jobs and he applauds the recent Republican-led tax cut.

“It sounds strange to me to say this about the Republicans, but they’re helping with even the small things,” Hood said in a phone interview. “They’re taking less taxes out of my paycheck. I notice that.”

The Reuters/Ipsos poll surveyed young voters during the first three months of this year and the same period in 2016.

Only 28 percent of those polled expressed overt support for Republicans in the 2018 poll - about the same percentage as two years earlier.

But that does not mean the rest will turn out to back Democrats, the survey showed. A growing share of voters between ages 18 and 34 years old said they were undecided, would support a third-party candidate or not vote at all.

The shift away from Democrats was more pronounced among white millennials - who accounted for two-thirds of all votes cast in that age group in 2016.

Two years ago, young white people favored Democrats over Republicans for Congress by a margin of 47 to 33 percent; that gap vanished by this year, with 39 percent supporting each party.

The shift was especially dramatic among young white men, who two years ago favored Democrats but now say they favor Republicans over Democrats by a margin of 46 to 37 percent, the Reuters/Ipsos poll showed.

Ashley Reed, a white single mother of three in New Hampshire, said a teenage fascination with Democrat Barack Obama led her to support his presidency in 2008. But her politics evolved with her personal life.

Reed, now 28, grew more supportive of gun rights, for instance, while married to her now ex-husband, a U.S. Navy technician. She lost faith in social welfare programs she came to believe were misused. She opposed abortion after having children.

Reed plans to vote for a Republican for Congress this year.

“As I got older, I felt that I could be my own voice,” she said last month in Concord, New Hampshire.

Link
04-30-2018 03:14 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
RE: Democrats lose ground with millennials, as the Republican Party is more appealing
the prog filth fad is coming to a close. this has all happened before.
04-30-2018 03:17 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MemTigers1998 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
RE: Democrats lose ground with millennials, as the Republican Party is more appealing
but

MUH RACISM!!
MUH EQUALITY!!
MUH BLUE WAVE!!
04-30-2018 03:19 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
(04-30-2018 03:17 PM)shere khan Wrote:  the prog filth fad is coming to a close. this has all happened before.

Muh Demographics!
04-30-2018 03:19 PM
Kronke Offline
Banned

I Root For: Arsenal / StL
Panic mode
04-30-2018 03:35 PM
Advertisement

hawghiggs Offline
All American

I Root For: Arkansas
Nothing evil with the premise of the Democratic party. But ultra liberalism has taken over the party and ruined the balance that it once had.
04-30-2018 04:03 PM
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
Quote:Terry Hood, 34, an African-American who works at a Dollar General store in Baton Rouge, Louisiana and took this year’s poll, said he voted for Democrat Hillary Clinton in the 2016 presidential election.

But he will consider a Republican for Congress because he believes the party is making it easier to find jobs and he applauds the recent Republican-led tax cut.

“It sounds strange to me to say this about the Republicans, but they’re helping with even the small things,” Hood said in a phone interview. “They’re taking less taxes out of my paycheck. I notice that.”

Better get your pattyrollers mounted up leftists...another young black man has slipped off the plantation.
04-30-2018 04:09 PM
bobdizole Online
All American

I Root For: MT
(04-30-2018 04:03 PM)hawghiggs Wrote:  Nothing evil with the premise of the Democratic party. But ultra liberalism has taken over the party and ruined the balance that it once had.

Exactly. I find myself to be a little left of center when it comes to social issues and pretty conservative when it comes to fiscal issues. The current climate has pushed me more towards the right. The country would be in a far better place if people voted for the candidate that matches their views instead of the party they think represents their views.
04-30-2018 04:12 PM
UofMstateU Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis
(04-30-2018 04:09 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  
Quote:Terry Hood, 34, an African-American who works at a Dollar General store in Baton Rouge, Louisiana and took this year’s poll, said he voted for Democrat Hillary Clinton in the 2016 presidential election.

Better get your pattyrollers mounted up leftists...another young black man has slipped off the plantation.

As if democrats dont already have enough to crap their pants over, having a black voter who works at dollar general be willing to look at voting republican should send them to Defconn2 levels.
04-30-2018 08:20 PM
Advertisement

olliebaba Offline
Legend

I Root For: Christ
With the appearance of Oblunder my democratic appeal went to the Republican because the Demoncraps left me, I didn't leave them. During the 2008 primary between Oblunder and Killery I was going to vote for Killery but that was before all her shenanigans came to light. I really don't know which one of the two would have been the better one for the WH as both are bad. I still would have given my vote (at the time) to Killery.

I'm glad Oblunder is way gone and that Trump has won. He has done wonders for this country even if the Libturds can't admit it. The people with the money who lean Left cry all the way to the bank. But, it's funny that they still want him out knowing how advantageous it has been for their wallet.
04-30-2018 10:45 PM
nomad2u2001 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
How does this compare to when every generation gets older? If it’s around the same, then we’ll still see status quo. Just from a observational standpoint, every generation starts to stratify as time goes on and it hasn’t spelled doom for either party yet.
05-01-2018 05:09 AM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW

I guess there are a lot of peanut fans in the USA.

Peanuts, get your peanuts!!!!!!
(This post was last modified: 05-01-2018 06:26 AM by solohawks.)
05-01-2018 06:26 AM
Kronke Offline
Banned

Paradigm shift, the dems are screwed for at least the next decade, probably much longer lol.

(This post was last modified: 05-02-2018 09:52 AM by Kronke.)
05-02-2018 09:51 AM
Advertisement

VA49er Offline
Legend

I Root For: Charlotte
(05-01-2018 05:09 AM)nomad2u2001 Wrote:  How does this compare to when every generation gets older? If it’s around the same, then we’ll still see status quo. Just from a observational standpoint, every generation starts to stratify as time goes on and it hasn’t spelled doom for either party yet.

I agree. Just following the young and liberal to older and conservative routine. Growing up and having responsibilities tends to make lots of people more conservative.
05-02-2018 10:15 AM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
Quote:The online survey
Immediate concerns about sample-selection and methodology.
05-02-2018 07:59 PM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
As a millennial I know this to be true.
05-02-2018 10:38 PM
Kronke Offline
Banned

(05-02-2018 07:59 PM)Native Georgian Wrote:  
Quote:The online survey
Immediate concerns about sample-selection and methodology.

Left-leaning outlet, which means it's probably even worse than the poll indicates.
(This post was last modified: 05-03-2018 12:25 AM by Kronke.)
05-03-2018 12:24 AM
Advertisement

nomad2u2001 Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-02-2018 10:15 AM)VA49er Wrote:  
(05-01-2018 05:09 AM)nomad2u2001 Wrote:  How does this compare to when every generation gets older? If it’s around the same, then we’ll still see status quo. Just from a observational standpoint, every generation starts to stratify as time goes on and it hasn’t spelled doom for either party yet.

I agree. Just following the young and liberal to older and conservative routine. Growing up and having responsibilities tends to make lots of people more conservative.

What I see it doing is just bringing the Democrats and Republicans closer to the middle in the coming years.

Something our political parties have on other country’s: they are just unofficial affiliations and they can adapt, will adapt, and have adapted to mood changes. Every once in a while there’s a tip and a time of volatility, but a new equilibrium is always found.
(This post was last modified: 05-03-2018 10:33 AM by nomad2u2001.)
05-03-2018 10:27 AM
olliebaba Offline
Legend

I Root For: Christ
(05-03-2018 10:27 AM)nomad2u2001 Wrote:  

What I see it doing is just bringing the Democrats and Republicans closer to the middle in the coming years.

Something our political parties have on other country’s: they are just unofficial affiliations and they can adapt, will adapt, and have adapted to mood changes. Every once in a while there’s a tip and a time of volatility, but a new equilibrium is always found.

If so then the Demons better hurry up. They keep going the alt Left route with Pocahontas, Bernie, etc. They aren't going the route America is headed for but opposite.
05-03-2018 07:52 PM
nomad2u2001 Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-03-2018 07:52 PM)olliebaba Wrote:  
(05-03-2018 10:27 AM)nomad2u2001 Wrote:  

If so then the Demons better hurry up. They keep going the alt Left route with Pocahontas, Bernie, etc. They aren't going the route America is headed for but opposite.

Bernie was a democrat for less than 2 years. He wasn't the route democrats were going and they basically made it known with the effort to keep him from winning the primaries. Bernie doesn't jive with how corporate the Democrats are.

The Republicans are gonna come back as well. It'll be a bad idea to pander to the alt-right again.

Both will mature into this new era as they always have.
(This post was last modified: 05-03-2018 09:35 PM by nomad2u2001.)
05-03-2018 09:34 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.