Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

NFL scheduling 101
Bookmark and Share
quicksilverFA Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UTSA
NFL scheduling 101
Welcome to class, let's get right into it.

For the league (NFL), there are two conferences (AFC and NFC), who each have four divisions (named by cardinal directions NSEW), and each division has four specific teams. Each and every team will play 16 games in 17 weeks, including 1 bye week. This tutorial will show you the conference and division makeup of your team's schedule. But first, a general understanding.

Once you know your team's specific conference and division, this will help you understand the scheduling. Each team of a conference will play the three other teams in their division twice for 6 games. They will play one full division (4 teams) of each conference for 8 games. They also play a specific team from each of the remaining two divisions in their own conference for 2 games. The sum is where your 16 games come from.

The Saints of the NFC South will be my example. The NFC South consist of the Saints, Falcons, Panthers, Bucs. So you will play the other three teams twice a year which makes this point the only consistency in the scheduling because the other 10 opponents will rotate by year. In looking at the Saints 2018 schedule, their second opponent is the Browns, a team from the AFC North (Browns, Bengals, Ravens, Steelers) so that must be their inter-conference division they face. I see at least two teams from the NFC East (Giants, Cowboys, Eagles, Redskins) so that must be their intra-conference division they play. So the 2 remaining teams on their schedule are the specific opponent from each of the two remaining divisions in their conference. Vikings from NFC North (Vikings, Bears, Lions, Packers) and the Rams from NFC West (Rams, Cardinals, Seahawks, 49ers).

Now let's try another example from the AFC, the Ravens. Own division (AFC North) twice; inter-conference full division (NFC South); intra-conference full division (AFC West = Raiders, Broncos, Chargers, Chiefs); Bills (AFC East = Bills, Jets, Patriots, Dolphins) and Titans (AFC South = Titans, Colts, Jaguars, Texans) the specific teams from each of the other two divisions in your conference. I say specific because the other teams in your division play the other teams in that division.
04-30-2018 05:15 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Irish Rowdy Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UTSA
RE: NFL scheduling 101
I learned this young.
04-30-2018 06:08 AM
WKUFan518 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WKU
Who is this for exactly? And who doesn't already know this and or why does it relate or matter to CUSA?
04-30-2018 08:21 AM
nastybunch Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Southern Miss
Well, who decides that the Saints must go to Minnesota to play for the second consecutive season in the regular season.?
04-30-2018 09:01 AM
Advertisement

usm99 Offline
Heisman

(04-30-2018 09:01 AM)nastybunch Wrote:  Well, who decides that the Saints must go to Minnesota to play for the second consecutive season in the regular season.?

The same people who have New England going to Pittsburgh for a 2nd straight year.
04-30-2018 09:02 AM
nastybunch Offline
Heisman

Correct, so we must lower this thread to “Scheduling 100”...
(This post was last modified: 04-30-2018 09:03 AM by nastybunch.)
04-30-2018 09:03 AM
jasdf Offline
Banned

I Root For: OD
The nfl in 2018

LOL
04-30-2018 09:04 AM
NTTHOR Offline
1st String

I Root For: NORTH TEXAS
(04-30-2018 08:21 AM)WKUFan518 Wrote:  Who is this for exactly? And who doesn't already know this and or why does it relate or matter to CUSA?

maybe for those that think a first place schedule is infinitely harder than a second/third/fourth place schedule...it's only 2 games that are different based upon where you finished in your division....i think....
04-30-2018 09:59 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.