Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

SBNation's Article On Who The MWC Should Expand With
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
MWC's Expantion Target List

They mentioned Saint Mary's to try and pry Gonzaga and BYU back. Mentioned Grand Canyon and New Mexico State to be added. Mentioned a LA area school for the market. Eastern Washington also was mentioned because a local farmer will donate his land to build a larger new stadium for ESU's football. Dakota schools, and the UTEP and Rice.

List:
Saint Mary's
BYU
Gonzaga
Long Beach State/UC-Irvine/Northridge State/Fullerton State
Utep
Rice
Eastern Washington
North Dakota State
South Dakota
South Dakota State
New Mexico State
Grand Canyon

what or who do you think the MWC should go after? Those on the list have been successful at different sports. Fullerton State's baseball could help boast the MWC conference for baseball.
(This post was last modified: 04-28-2018 09:26 AM by DavidSt.)
04-27-2018 08:07 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

joeben69 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: sdsu, ucsd, usd
RE: SBNation's Article On Who The MWC Should Expand With
(04-27-2018 08:07 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  MWC's Expantion Target List

They mentioned Saint Mary's to try and pry Gonzaga and BYU back. Mentioned Grand Canyon and New Mexico State to be added. Mentioned a LA area school for the market. Eastern Washington also was mentioned because a local farmer will donate his land to build a larger new stadium for ESU's football. Dakota schools, and the UTEP and Rice.

List:
Saint Mary's
BYU
Gonzaga
Utep
Rice
Eastern Washington
North Dakota State
South Dakota
South Dakota State

what or who do you think the MWC should go after? Those on the list have been successful at different sports. Fullerton State's baseball could help boast the MWC conference for baseball.

i would lean towards byu to the mwc for non-football. they're the most natural fit. make a nd/acc type deal for byu. like the article said that there is pride, emotions, burnt bridges and butt-hurtness involved.
04-27-2018 08:45 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
McKinney Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UMass, Army, Rutgers
If they're going to consider Eastern Washington, North Dakota State, South Dakota, South Dakota State.... why not consider Montana?

Montana fits the profile of a flagship in an low population state adjacent to two MWC members, easily has the best stadium of the FCS options, has the largest basketball arena of that group (although still vastly undersized by MWC average of 11,915), and has great fan support and a decently rich history in football.

With that said UTEP, BYU, or Gonzaga make the most sense to me. Although BYU and Gonzaga have already rejected their offers.
(This post was last modified: 04-27-2018 10:31 PM by McKinney.)
04-27-2018 10:25 PM
billings Offline
1st String

I Root For: Wyo / Mont St.
(04-27-2018 10:25 PM)McKinney Wrote:  If they're going to consider Eastern Washington, North Dakota State, South Dakota, South Dakota State.... why not consider Montana?

Montana fits the profile of a flagship in an low population state adjacent to two MWC members, easily has the best stadium of the FCS options, has the largest basketball arena of that group (although still vastly undersized by MWC average of 11,915), and has great fan support and a decently rich history in football.

With that said UTEP, BYU, or Gonzaga make the most sense to me. Although BYU and Gonzaga have already rejected their offers.

University of Montana is flat broke and enrollment is done over 28% over the last few years as it bleeds students

I don't think BYU was offered anything btw
04-27-2018 10:46 PM
HawaiiMongoose Offline
All American

I Root For: Hawaii
(04-27-2018 10:25 PM)McKinney Wrote:  If they're going to consider Eastern Washington, North Dakota State, South Dakota, South Dakota State.... why not consider Montana?

I expect the MWC to stand pat for now.

The conference won’t accept BYU without football, and BYU won’t rejoin as a full member. So BYU is off the table.

The only other potential addition that adds value is Gonzaga, and they’re not coming anytime soon.
04-27-2018 10:49 PM
oliveandblue Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tulane
The MWC has the same issue that the AAC has - there are no additions at this time that are accessible AND add value.
04-27-2018 10:52 PM
Advertisement

DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
The three Dakota schools mentioned brings both strong football and basketball to the table. Not as strong as Gonzaga, but they do pull off upsets in both basketball and football.

Both Montana and Montana State had the chance to go to the WAC before 2012, but they did not. I think they will join the MWC if they boot San Jose State out of the conference. San Jose State is not listed as a research school. The rest of the MWC are.
04-27-2018 11:11 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Jjoey52 Offline
All American

I Root For: ISU
(04-27-2018 08:45 PM)joeben69 Wrote:  

List:
Saint Mary's
BYU
Gonzaga
Utep
Rice
Eastern Washington
North Dakota State
South Dakota
South Dakota State

i would lean towards byu to the mwc for non-football. they're the most natural fit. make a nd/acc type deal for byu. like the article said that there is pride, emotions, burnt bridges and butt-hurtness involved.

BYU will never be allowed without football. The most viable schools are Gonzaga, they declined, if Long Beach added football and got it supported, they could be a fit, but years away.Montanas do not want it. Rice brings nothing athletically, UTEP needs to rebuild programs. Dakota’s not a fit. EWU is in a town of 8k, and really is not viable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
04-28-2018 12:11 AM
Tigersmoke4 Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis
(04-27-2018 10:52 PM)oliveandblue Wrote:  The MWC has the same issue that the AAC has - there are no additions at this time that are accessible AND add value.

Nooo,,, the AAC doesn't have that problem. We're not looking for an addition but there are some East coast and West coast options.
04-28-2018 12:45 AM
oliveandblue Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tulane
(04-28-2018 12:45 AM)Tigersmoke4 Wrote:  
(04-27-2018 10:52 PM)oliveandblue Wrote:  The MWC has the same issue that the AAC has - there are no additions at this time that are accessible AND add value.

Nooo,,, the AAC doesn't have that problem. We're not looking for an addition but there are some East coast and West coast options.

BYU are out. Top MWC teams are out unless the next media deal is a game changer (and the AAC wouldn't take bottom ones).

Army is a decent FB-only add. UMass isn't ready just yet.

There are no good expansion options for the AAC, and at most the AAC will lose 1 or 2 schools in the next 15 years. The AAC is actually a stable conference despite all of the hype.
04-28-2018 01:08 AM
BigHouston Offline
STRONG

I Root For: HOUSTON, USC Trojans

My point exactly ^^^

But If the AAC ever expanded again here hope the American stays far far away from any West coast programs... Only program I would favor for the AAC of course would be BYU.
04-28-2018 01:48 AM
Advertisement

owl at the moon Offline
Eastern Screech Owl

I Root For: rice,smu,uh,unt
Fullerton. Rice. UTEP. Gonzaga.
04-28-2018 06:35 AM
Fighting Muskie Online
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
BYU and UTEP
04-28-2018 07:02 AM
michael.stevens.3110 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: TCU
(04-28-2018 01:48 AM)BigHouston Wrote:  

My point exactly ^^^

But If the AAC ever expanded again here hope the American stays far far away from any West coast programs... Only program I would favor for the AAC of course would be BYU.

Rice U and UTEP make the most sense .... Houston is America’s HOTTEST recruiting area for ATHLETES and College Students and the FOURTH LARGEST CITY in the Nation .. They offer MW level in most sports .. They are SUPERIOR to most MW in Baseball .. and they are rated OFF THE CHART ACADEMICALLY ..and by the way ... they have a BIGGER ENDOWMENT THAN THE REST OF THE MW COMBINED ....!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
04-28-2018 07:04 AM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

I Root For: ECU, Army

List:
Saint Mary's
BYU
Gonzaga
Utep
Rice
Eastern Washington
North Dakota State
South Dakota
South Dakota State

None except BYU for all sports but football. Burned bridges yeah, but it’s a school the old guard has a century old rivalry with, bring em back for everything but football and have them part of the bowl pool. It’s just business; not personal.
04-28-2018 07:37 AM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
I'd say go with NMSU & UTEP

Helps basketball and allows Boise State to move to the pacific division.

Furthers the MWC goal of western USA G5 hegemony.
04-28-2018 09:21 AM
Advertisement

panite Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Owls-SC-RU-Navy
(04-28-2018 09:21 AM)Kittonhead Wrote:  I'd say go with NMSU & UTEP

Start with NMST for BB and Olympic Sports to reach a 12 team balance for all sports. Give NMST a scheduling alliance for FB for 2 to 6 games. They already play NM annually so one game is scheduled. NMST offers strong BB for the NCAA Tournament credit income side of the balance sheet. Go from there and wait out the next wave of realignment and BYU if they are the main target for future expansion for All Sports. If the MWC does not land BYU after the next realignment period they can stand pat at 12 & 12 or rethink expansion going forward from there. 07-coffee3
04-28-2018 09:43 AM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-28-2018 09:43 AM)panite Wrote:  
(04-28-2018 09:21 AM)Kittonhead Wrote:  I'd say go with NMSU & UTEP

Start with NMST for BB and Olympic Sports to reach a 12 team balance for all sports. Give NMST a scheduling alliance for FB for 2 to 6 games. They already play NM annually so one game is scheduled. NMST offers strong BB for the NCAA Tournament credit income side of the balance sheet. Go from there and wait out the next wave of realignment and BYU if they are the main target for future expansion for All Sports. If the MWC does not land BYU after the next realignment period they can stand pat at 12 & 12 or rethink expansion going forward from there. 07-coffee3

That is a very good idea.
04-28-2018 09:55 AM
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
Would the MWC consider offering BYU a "Notre Dame" type deal, with BYU joining for all sports but football, plus a five game per year scheduling agreement and access to bowl bids?

That would seem to help both sides.
04-28-2018 09:57 AM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-28-2018 09:57 AM)TerryD Wrote:  Would the MWC consider offering BYU a "Notre Dame" type deal, with BYU joining for all sports but football, plus a five game per year scheduling agreement and access to bowl bids?

That would seem to help both sides.

MWC already has Las Vegas Bowl for its champion.

I don't think BYU would help them do better, particularly now with that program down and out.
04-28-2018 10:05 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.