Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

P6 and Autonomy
McKinney Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UMass, Army, Rutgers
P6 and Autonomy
If nothing else changed in the AAC (same budgets, same TV contracts, same facilities, etc.) would there be a benefit to becoming autonomous? If nothing else would it help the P6 campaign?

Can a conference just declare autonomy? How does that work?
04-27-2018 12:08 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

thespiritof1976 Offline
Ancient Alien Theorist

I Root For: Zeti Reticuli
RE: P6 and Autonomy
(04-27-2018 12:08 PM)McKinney Wrote:  If nothing else changed in the AAC (same budgets, same TV contracts, same facilities, etc.) would there be a benefit to becoming autonomous? If nothing else would it help the P6 campaign?

I'm sure the SEC has toyed with the idea (in all of their arrogance)....
04-27-2018 12:09 PM
pesik Online
Legend

I Root For: Houston
(04-27-2018 12:08 PM)McKinney Wrote:  If nothing else changed in the AAC (same budgets, same TV contracts, same facilities, etc.) would there be a benefit to becoming autonomous? If nothing else would it help the P6 campaign?

college football is the one sport that is defined by perception not whats on he field....

it ould make p6 official..it groups us with them, and not the other g5. this is a major plus
04-27-2018 12:23 PM
Attackcoog Offline

Of all the differences between P5 and non-P5 conferences---autonomy is probably the least significant where the rubber meets the road. It would be nice to be included as an autonomous conference--but legitimate access to the CFP, an improved bowl lineup thats more similar to the P5, and improved media dollars are all far more important to improving the AAC's station in the college hierarchy.
(This post was last modified: 04-27-2018 12:25 PM by Attackcoog.)
04-27-2018 12:24 PM
gulfcoastgal Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
Agreed, voting rights are the least of it. If the AAC could somehow get an auto access bowl slot and payout, they would by default be removed from the G5 pool. CUSA had equal BCS voting privileges, but was decidedly Non-BCS due to the AQ and tv money/exposure.
04-27-2018 12:33 PM
McKinney Offline
Special Teams

(04-27-2018 12:33 PM)gulfcoastgal Wrote:  Agreed, voting rights are the least of it. If the AAC could somehow get an auto access bowl slot and payout, they would by default be removed from the G5 pool. CUSA had equal BCS voting privileges, but was decidedly Non-BCS due to the AQ and tv money/exposure.

They did?
04-27-2018 12:47 PM
Advertisement

slhNavy91 Online
Heisman

I Root For: Navy
"Power 6" means investing in doing everything the autonomy conferences do. The best example is commitment to the Full Cost of Attendance movement.
The next media rights contracts are an intermediate objective in the P6 campaign - most here expect them to be at a level that won't drastically increase budgets overall, but will allow fewer "subsidy" dollars - student fees, university general funds, etc - to be needed for the same end state. Overall, budgets and facilities are among the most important things to be P6 - being able to invest in the same things autonomy conferences do is also important.

Separating from the four behind them, but keeping pace with the five ahead of them keeps the AAC on the path to strategic goal of being on the right side of the next divide.

Read the AAC Strategic Plan. Acting autonomous is built in.
Pillar 1, Student Health Safety and Well-Being, talks about "Adopt autonomous legislation that enhances the well-being and opportunities for our student-athletes.
Pillar 3, Athletic Excellence, says "By virtue of its competitive success and its adoption of autonomous intiatives..."
04-27-2018 12:54 PM
beefcake0520 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: marshall
(04-27-2018 12:47 PM)McKinney Wrote:  
(04-27-2018 12:33 PM)gulfcoastgal Wrote:  Agreed, voting rights are the least of it. If the AAC could somehow get an auto access bowl slot and payout, they would by default be removed from the G5 pool. CUSA had equal BCS voting privileges, but was decidedly Non-BCS due to the AQ and tv money/exposure.

They did?

Yep, technically a BCS conference affiliate without any of the benefits. Mind blowing, right?
04-27-2018 12:55 PM
McKinney Offline
Special Teams

(04-27-2018 12:55 PM)beefcake0520 Wrote:  
(04-27-2018 12:47 PM)McKinney Wrote:  

They did?

Yep, technically a BCS conference affiliate without any of the benefits. Mind blowing, right?

Yes it is. I hate to be nitpicky but do y'all have any sources indicating this? I've never heard of such a situation.
04-27-2018 01:02 PM
Knights_of_UCF Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF
Only way AAC is going to get a NYC6 bowl auto bid or TV payout like a P5 is to get ratings and attendance figures like a P5. And just like P5 conferences we don't need 12 teams to average 80K fans and great tv ratings, we just need a few, while at the same time bringing up our bottom to 35-40K. Is it possible? I don't think so personally because as soon as any of us jumps to 60K+ fans we'll probably get poached by the b12, but this is pure capitalism and money and if we can prove to TV networks and bowls we can make them money they'll pay up. We control our own destiny in that respect.
(This post was last modified: 04-27-2018 02:56 PM by Knights_of_UCF.)
04-27-2018 02:55 PM
TIGERCITY Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
(04-27-2018 12:24 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  Of all the differences between P5 and non-P5 conferences---autonomy is probably the least significant where the rubber meets the road. It would be nice to be included as an autonomous conference--but legitimate access to the CFP, an improved bowl lineup thats more similar to the P5, and improved media dollars are all far more important to improving the AAC's station in the college hierarchy.

Please try to maintain the board's "P6" fiction. Thank you -
04-27-2018 04:26 PM
Advertisement

JHS55 Offline
All American

I think the most important thing here is equal access to the playoffs, I mean to just not be blocked off from it
A real playoff system for all g5 conferences is our only hope, imo
04-27-2018 05:01 PM
McKinney Offline
Special Teams

My thoughts are that if UCF made the playoff last year that the media wouldn't say the American is a power conference. Instead they'd be up in arms about how "a G5 school made it to the playoffs when there were more deserving P5s".
04-27-2018 05:42 PM
JHS55 Offline
All American

(04-27-2018 05:42 PM)McKinney Wrote:  My thoughts are that if UCF made the playoff last year that the media wouldn't say the American is a power conference. Instead they'd be up in arms about how "a G5 school made it to the playoffs when there were more deserving P5s".

The ESPN, p5 playoff selection committee will not allow a g5 to advance to their playoffs and quit frankly at this point I’d rather focus on a g5 playoff system that includes all g5 conferences only and in all sports
College sports in general has grown in sheer numbers to the point that it’s to big to manage as one big entity and keep everybody happy and on the same playing field
College football is the big issue here and is the main driver in an FBS split other than the total number of schools who want to compete at the highest FBS level and the ones wanting to move up
So we have the p5 schools that have already split off and locked the door to everybody else that has an FBS football team and it seems to me that the p5 thing is spreading to basketball too, I think as time goes on the p5 image will continue to spread out to all the other p5 college sports
What’s happening in regards to what the networks are pushing with the p5 is really a natural evaluation of college football and the upside is we will end up with two or even three college sports divisions competing for the same championships “ mybe “ and of course without a selection committee, good Lordy
(This post was last modified: 04-27-2018 06:32 PM by JHS55.)
04-27-2018 06:13 PM
slhNavy91 Online
Heisman

I Root For: Navy
(04-27-2018 05:01 PM)JHS55 Wrote:  I think the most important thing here is equal access to the playoffs, I mean to just not be blocked off from it

It's called "FCS." Feel free to join them.

I prefer the current AAC course for me and my school. That's the major reason we gave up successful independence: to not be relegated to a second tier status in a sport we'd played at the top level for 134 years. "G5 playoff" = embracing second tier status.
04-27-2018 06:21 PM
TU4ever Offline
All American

I Root For: Tulsa
(04-27-2018 06:21 PM)slhNavy91 Wrote:  
(04-27-2018 05:01 PM)JHS55 Wrote:  I think the most important thing here is equal access to the playoffs, I mean to just not be blocked off from it

I prefer the current AAC course for me and my school. That's the major reason we gave up successful independence: to not be relegated to a second tier status in a sport we'd played at the top level for 134 years. "G5 playoff" = embracing second tier status.

If I legally could I would salute you.

+2 though

Tulsa has always played at the top level and has a history of succeeding. We're not scared we've always had to fight for ours. Have fun at the fcs.
04-27-2018 06:41 PM
Advertisement

JHS55 Offline
All American

I hear ya, I don’t want to be FCS either but what are we now?, I ask you, do you think we’re FBS?, or FBS light or something in between, I think we’re in between sense we are in g5 and are not allowed to the football playoffs of course there are other sports so I’m not really sure
04-27-2018 06:49 PM
KNIGHTTIME Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: '17 Natty Champ
(04-27-2018 06:49 PM)JHS55 Wrote:  

I hear ya, I don’t want to be FCS either but what are we now?, I ask you, do you think we’re FBS?, or FBS light or something in between, I think we’re in between sense we are in g5 and are not allowed to the football playoffs of course there are other sports so I’m not really sure

The g5 playoffs is the worse idea of all times. I mean really...we won 3 straight major bowls in the AAC. UCF just rocked the cfp boat. Keep doing it and see what happens. We need to distance ourselves from the g4. Hopefully the TV deal shows some major separation too.
04-27-2018 08:20 PM
JHS55 Offline
All American

(04-27-2018 08:20 PM)KNIGHTTIME Wrote:  
(04-27-2018 06:49 PM)JHS55 Wrote:  

The g5 playoffs is the worse idea of all times. I mean really...we won 3 straight major bowls in the AAC. UCF just rocked the cfp boat. Keep doing it and see what happens. We need to distance ourselves from the g4. Hopefully the TV deal shows some major separation too.

Hope is all we have right now
04-27-2018 08:58 PM
JetFixer Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

This!
04-28-2018 10:39 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.