Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Rolling Stone serving as the left's pattyroller
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
Rolling Stone serving as the left's pattyroller
A black man has dared to stray from the plantation. Beside bring him back.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/...at-w519572

Quote:When Kanye West was named one of Time magazine's 100 most influential people in 2010, Elon Musk, who wrote the blurb about the rapper-producer-designer, noted that he "fought for his place in the cultural pantheon with a purpose."
Related
The Kanye West Question

The enigmatic rapper’s conflicting ideologies may ultimately lead his fans to a fork in the road

Of all his varied talents, arguably West's most useful one has been his ability to command attention whenever he saw fit. West has always been his own biggest advocate, and after years of telling us how he important he is, he induced many to fall in line with the sentiment. This is a man who has been considered one of the greatest artists of the 21st century, hailed as the most influential man in style history, praised as a game changer in media, and cited by his contemporaries as one who helped shaped their own art. When an artist achieves an almost deity-like presence in culture, they don't have to resort to publicity stunts to command our attention – they'll have it no matter what they do.

Therein lies the flawed reading Kanye West's touting of right-wing commentators like the black but Black Lives Matter–bashing Candace Owens or his declaration of "love" for Donald Trump as mere exercises in attention-whoring. So when I read people dismissing these declarations as such, and going as far to say that we needn't be "outraged" over West, I am further infuriated. It's easy for some – particularly if you are white – to say that an extremely influential black man with a cult-like following aligning himself with a demagogue and racist movement is much ado about nothing, but the rest of us can't shrug off the ramifications so swiftly.

Whether one likes it or not, and no matter if it's right or wrong, Kanye West moves the culture. There is a reason I often jokingly refer to him as a "hip-hop David Koresh." People worship this man and will follow him wherever he goes. The magnitude of his stardom cannot be overstated.

Kanye knows this too, which explains why he once told T magazine, "I'm not a celebrity, I'm an activist. The fact that when I see truth it's really hard for me to sit back and just allow it to happen in front of me on my clock makes me, a lot of times, a bad celebrity."
04-26-2018 04:17 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.