Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

College Basketball Commision report- headed by Dr. Rice
BlazerPhil Offline
Administrator of Comedy

I Root For: Birmingham U.
Folding@NCAAbbs
College Basketball Commision report- headed by Dr. Rice
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2018/...ssion.html

The proposals, which would have to be adopted by NCAA member schools to take effect, include:

* An end to the so-called 'one-and-done' rule, which requires players to be at least 19 years old and one year removed from high school to be eligible for the NBA draft. (Would need NBA approval)

* An adoption of the baseball draft eligibility model, in which players could enter the professional ranks straight out of high school, but must stay three years in college once they enroll. (Would also need NBA approval)

* Allowing players to return to college if they go undrafted by the NBA, provided they have not signed with an agent.

* An independent investigative body for "complex and serious" NCAA violations cases, plus more enforcement latitude for the NCAA in cases involving academics.

* Stiffer penalties for "Level I" violations, including a five-year postseason ban, lifetime bans for show-cause orders, a one-year recruiting ban and increased financial forfeitures and suspensions.

* Contractually obligating coaches and athletic directors to cooperate with NCAA investigations.

* More cooperation and transparency between the NCAA, college basketball programs and AAU owners and organizers, including shoe companies.
04-25-2018 09:22 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
RE: College Basketball Commision report- headed by Dr. Rice
I like every one of those ideas.
04-25-2018 09:32 AM
BlazerPhil Offline
Administrator of Comedy

Folding@NCAAbbs
(04-25-2018 09:32 AM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  I like every one of those ideas.

I do too. But it is the NCAA, so we can count on them to Eff it up.
04-25-2018 09:41 AM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Yeah a five year postseason ban and a one year recruiting ban would destroy a power team caught cheating. They will never allow stiffer penalties and they will never stop cheating. They will never allow an independent body to get involved to mess up their arrangement.
04-25-2018 09:53 AM
hooverblazer Offline
Promoter of UAB

I Root For: UAB
(04-25-2018 09:53 AM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  Yeah a five year postseason ban and a one year recruiting ban would destroy a power team caught cheating. They will never allow stiffer penalties and they will never stop cheating. They will never allow an independent body to get involved to mess up their arrangement.

I agree. It looks good on paper, but I'd be shocked if the elite schools go for it. I'd also think the NBA wouldn't be too thrilled with the baseball draft model.
04-25-2018 10:41 AM
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

I'm guessing Pearl will sign his new contract this evening.
04-25-2018 10:42 AM
Advertisement

blazers9911 Offline
Hall of Famer

Survivor Runner-up
(04-25-2018 10:41 AM)hooverblazer Wrote:  
(04-25-2018 09:53 AM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  Yeah a five year postseason ban and a one year recruiting ban would destroy a power team caught cheating. They will never allow stiffer penalties and they will never stop cheating. They will never allow an independent body to get involved to mess up their arrangement.

I agree. It looks good on paper, but I'd be shocked if the elite schools go for it. I'd also think the NBA wouldn't be too thrilled with the baseball draft model.

I’m not so sure about that. The NBA still gets a lot wrong. If they had more time to evaluate it may make their lives easier.
04-25-2018 10:43 AM
BlazerPhil Offline
Administrator of Comedy

Folding@NCAAbbs
This would show improvement in the D-league, and take the burden off of NCAA teams to be the NBA's farm system. If all this passed, Calipari, Roy Williams, Coach K,. et al. would be out of a job in 2 years.
04-25-2018 11:03 AM
BlazerMatt Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For:
DonatorsFolding@NCAAbbsFolding@NCAAbbsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(04-25-2018 10:41 AM)hooverblazer Wrote:  

My favorite part of the whole thing was the insinuation that "If the NBA doesnt do away with the one and done rule and work with us on this, then we will just make freshmen ineligible to play in NCAA games."
04-25-2018 11:20 AM
BlazerPhil Offline
Administrator of Comedy

Folding@NCAAbbs
https://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files...al_web.pdf

Stakeholders informed the Commission that when the stakes are high, colleges
are not complying with the NCAA’s shared governance and cooperative principles
and NCAA rules often are not enforced. Specifically, the NCAA’s investigative and
enforcement powers are inadequate to effectively investigate and address serious
violations of NCAA rules in consequential situations. No stakeholder supported the
current system for handling high-stakes infractions. Many informed us that when the
U.S. Attorney’s Office announced the charges that led to this Commission, the reaction
was that “everyone knows” that these payments occur. That state of affairs – where the
entire community knows of significant rule breaking and yet the governance body lacks
the power or will to investigate and act – breeds cynicism and contempt.
The NCAA’s investigative and enforcement processes require a complete overhaul.
Complex cases must be thoroughly investigated, and resolved by neutral professional
adjudicators, with authority to impose punishment that will have a significant deterrent
effect. The investigative arm must be independent and empowered to require
the cooperation of witnesses and the production of documents, including financial
information, from NCAA member institutions and their employees and contractors, with
significant penalties for non-cooperation. In addition, these and all NCAA investigators
must exercise reasonable prosecutorial discretion and common sense so that resources
are focused on serious infractions and punishment is appropriately calibrated and
consistently administered. There are multiple examples of minor infractions that are not
worth the time and effort that the NCAA now spends on them.
Volunteers who are members of fellow NCAA member institutions should not
resolve cases. Instead, a panel of professional adjudicators, appointed for a term of
years, must make final and binding decisions and must have the authority to impose

substantial punishments, including the loss of post-season play and the revenues from
post-season play. To restore credibility to this process, the investigation, enforcement
and resolution of high stakes cases must be placed in the hands of independent
professionals and neutrals.

--------------------------

Uh Oh - The Commission just recommended Kennesaw Mountain Landis mode.
04-25-2018 03:20 PM
BlazerPhil Offline
Administrator of Comedy

Folding@NCAAbbs
I found this interesting.

-------

Since 2006, NBA teams have drafted an average of eight college freshman each
year. Most of these one-and-done players attended one of six schools.15 However, the
small numbers mask a large issue with respect to third-party influence and corruption, as
well as the corruption of academic standards.

-------

Who are the 6 schools ?

These 3 for sure, - Kentucky, Duke, UCLA

and the rest of the suspects -

Syracuse, Arizona, Washington, Ohio St., Texas, Louisville, UNC, etc.
(This post was last modified: 04-25-2018 03:46 PM by BlazerPhil.)
04-25-2018 03:40 PM
Advertisement

biglizard Offline
All American

I Root For:
--------------------------

[/quote]

We'll see if any P5 school even reads the report. My guess is they'll reject it outright or threaten to form their own governing body
04-25-2018 03:47 PM
BlazerPhil Offline
Administrator of Comedy

Folding@NCAAbbs
(04-25-2018 03:47 PM)biglizard Wrote:  --------------------------

We'll see if any P5 school even reads the report. My guess is they'll reject it outright or threaten to form their own governing body
[/quote]

They've already gotten at least two, what's one more going to hurt ? 03-lmfao 03-lmfao 03-lmfao
04-25-2018 03:49 PM
blazers9911 Offline
Hall of Famer

Survivor Runner-up
Texas, Syracuse and UNC rounded out a list i found in 2014. Arizona is the only school i think could have slipped in since then.
04-25-2018 03:49 PM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

I Root For: UAB Blazers

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
Charlotte, Murray State, UCSB, UTSA, UNC Wilmington, and Albany State will be the schools punished right?
04-25-2018 05:00 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
WesternBlazer Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-25-2018 05:00 PM)ATTALLABLAZE Wrote:  Charlotte, Murray State, UCSB, UTSA, UNC Wilmington, and Albany State will be the schools punished right?

Yep. MM and LM basketball programs and coaches would be canon fodder. The power BB schools and high-profile coaches with their high-powered, high-priced law firms will not be punished appropriately. We all thought the NC academic scandal was cut and dried and nothing came of it. The Ole Miss thing is still a mess. And Petino, despite the FBI investigation and what we know, is still being sought as a head coach.
04-25-2018 05:49 PM
Advertisement

BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB & Bama

BlazerTalk Award
At present, the NCAA is essentially like a private country club with power only over its members - the universities and their administrations. Coaches and players are NOT members so the NCAA has no direct power over them. The coaches can only be indirectly threatened by the "show cause" intimidation on the member schools. That is why NCAA punishments usually fall on schools after the people who caused the problem have "left the scene of the crime".

The Congress can legislate more strident investigative powers for the NCAA, but it is unlikely to do so since such measures almost certainly guarantee a federal court fight when they are used (see Presidential Travel bans).

Administrative regulations by private (or public) organizations can last until they are legally challenged in state or federal court. No one can be contracturally required to surrender their 5th Amendment rights (or any others) by any organization just to make their enforcement job easier.
(This post was last modified: 04-26-2018 03:15 AM by BAMANBLAZERFAN.)
04-25-2018 07:24 PM
blazerwkr Offline
Heisman

BlazerTalk Award
I'd imagine if any P5 school got Lvl1 sanctions, they'd appeal the hell out of it till the NCAA just let them get away w/ it due to the NCAA having to spend too much money to defend itself from them. I don't think much will change along these lines till the NCAA has the revenue & not the schools.
04-25-2018 07:36 PM
uabbean Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(04-25-2018 10:42 AM)the_blazerman Wrote:  I'm guessing Pearl will sign his new contract this evening.
Him refusing to speak to Auburn is the reason for the rule,
04-25-2018 09:46 PM
WesternBlazer Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-25-2018 09:22 AM)BlazerPhil Wrote:  http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2018/...ssion.html

The proposals, which would have to be adopted by NCAA member schools to take effect, include:

* An end to the so-called 'one-and-done' rule, which requires players to be at least 19 years old and one year removed from high school to be eligible for the NBA draft. (Would need NBA approval)

* An adoption of the baseball draft eligibility model, in which players could enter the professional ranks straight out of high school, but must stay three years in college once they enroll. (Would also need NBA approval)

* Allowing players to return to college if they go undrafted by the NBA, provided they have not signed with an agent.

* An independent investigative body for "complex and serious" NCAA violations cases, plus more enforcement latitude for the NCAA in cases involving academics.

* Stiffer penalties for "Level I" violations, including a five-year postseason ban, lifetime bans for show-cause orders, a one-year recruiting ban and increased financial forfeitures and suspensions.

* Contractually obligating coaches and athletic directors to cooperate with NCAA investigations.

* More cooperation and transparency between the NCAA, college basketball programs and AAU owners and organizers, including shoe companies.

May be greatest aspect of all of this if they can put some teeth into noncompliance...
(This post was last modified: 04-25-2018 10:08 PM by WesternBlazer.)
04-25-2018 10:06 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.