Open TigerLinks

Cal vs Penny: Epic Article from Parrish
Bookmark and Share
k2tigers Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
Donators
Cal vs Penny: Epic Article from Parrish
CBS GP,,,,like him or not, he's great at what he does.....

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basket...-prospect/
04-19-2018 06:29 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TiminMem23 Offline
All American

RE: Cal vs Penny: Epic Article from Parrish
(04-19-2018 06:29 PM)k2tigers Wrote:  CBS GP,,,,like him or not, he's great at what he does.....

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basket...-prospect/

He seems like a good kid. He’ll be fine no matter where he goes. But man it’ll mean so much more to the people in this city than it will Kentucky fans. I hope it’s Memphis.
(This post was last modified: 04-19-2018 06:39 PM by TiminMem23.)
04-19-2018 06:39 PM
Julian Offline
1st String

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
Good points from Gary:

Quote:And the sales pitch to encourage Wiseman to reclassify is a simple one, I think. It would go something like this:

"You gain very little by spending another year at East High, where the coach you moved there to play for no longer works. You won't be challenged academically. You won't be challenged athletically. You'll likely look up in a year and be no different than you are right now. But if you go ahead and enroll in college, we'll get you on a college workout plan immediately. We'll get you on a college diet immediately. And we'll get you in college practices -- where you'll be surrounded by people who can push you and help you improve. You would then have two years at the high-major level to prepare for the NBA, which suggests you'd be better prepared for the NBA when you enter the league in 2020. And you'll have two years, as opposed to one, of playing on national television every week, which should help you build a bigger brand before you get to the NBA, which could literally be worth millions of dollars in endorsements. Beyond that, we know you're a bright kid and that school is important to you. So understand that this plan would give you two years, as opposed to one, to work toward a degree before you become a professional -- meaning you'd be at least half way toward a bachelor's degree when you enter the NBA Draft and thus in a better position to eventually be a college graduate."

If you're Wiseman, you'd have to at least consider that, right?
04-19-2018 06:42 PM
stratecashomie Offline
Feelin' Blue

I hope we get him so bad
04-19-2018 06:54 PM
croppi33 Offline
All American

Word on the street is Wiseman will not reclassify. He will be Memphis lean in 2019 .
04-19-2018 07:10 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tigergary Offline
All American

I Root For: Tigers
(04-19-2018 06:42 PM)Julian Wrote:  Good points from Gary:

Quote:And the sales pitch to encourage Wiseman to reclassify is a simple one, I think. It would go something like this:

"You gain very little by spending another year at East High, where the coach you moved there to play for no longer works. You won't be challenged academically. You won't be challenged athletically. You'll likely look up in a year and be no different than you are right now. But if you go ahead and enroll in college, we'll get you on a college workout plan immediately. We'll get you on a college diet immediately. And we'll get you in college practices -- where you'll be surrounded by people who can push you and help you improve. You would then have two years at the high-major level to prepare for the NBA, which suggests you'd be better prepared for the NBA when you enter the league in 2020. And you'll have two years, as opposed to one, of playing on national television every week, which should help you build a bigger brand before you get to the NBA, which could literally be worth millions of dollars in endorsements. Beyond that, we know you're a bright kid and that school is important to you. So understand that this plan would give you two years, as opposed to one, to work toward a degree before you become a professional -- meaning you'd be at least half way toward a bachelor's degree when you enter the NBA Draft and thus in a better position to eventually be a college graduate."

I was saying this week's ago. Please someone pat my back lol.
Seriously tho I've been saying I saw no advantage to him staying another year in HS. But I understand his mother's wishes. Kid is going to have a awesome career whatever he chooses. I won't hate on him wherever he goes.
04-19-2018 07:17 PM
Advertisement

amish_ashaman Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tigers
(04-19-2018 06:42 PM)Julian Wrote:  Good points from Gary:

If I'm Wiseman, where do I sign? It all makes too much sense.
04-19-2018 07:17 PM
DallasTiger Offline
Hall of Famer

One thing I learned in sales is 90% of all buying is emotional. So, the topic is...who has the emotional edge. In my mind...it is Penny. Just like Alo asking for his release from Wichita State....emotions are much more important than anything. You go with people who KNOW you can trust. I have to admit...after getting to know Penny through his news conference videos and looking at YouTube videos...who would not want to play for him? Penny is something special.... something that resonates with fans, recruits, players and alums. He is the X FACTOR.
(This post was last modified: 04-19-2018 07:47 PM by DallasTiger.)
04-19-2018 07:46 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
On To Victory Offline
Bench Warmer

The freak out on Rump Rafters continues. When Penny and Mike take players they want, the meltdown will be epic.
04-19-2018 08:11 PM
Memphis10Tigers Offline
1st String

(04-19-2018 07:46 PM)DallasTiger Wrote:  One thing I learned in sales is 90% of all buying is emotional. So, the topic is...who has the emotional edge. In my mind...it is Penny. Just like Alo asking for his release from Wichita State....emotions are much more important than anything. You go with people who KNOW you can trust. I have to admit...after getting to know Penny through his news conference videos and looking at YouTube videos...who would not want to play for him? Penny is something special.... something that resonates with fans, recruits, players and alums. He is the X FACTOR.

There is emotion, but there is also reason. Cal has a track record of getting guys to the NBA. Penny said if you added up all the contracts of the guys he got to the NBA you would get close to $1 Billion. Penny has never coached college basketball a day in his life.

Will emotion win over reason?
04-19-2018 08:31 PM
DallasTiger Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-19-2018 08:31 PM)Memphis10Tigers Wrote:  
(04-19-2018 07:46 PM)DallasTiger Wrote:  One thing I learned in sales is 90% of all buying is emotional. So, the topic is...who has the emotional edge. In my mind...it is Penny. Just like Alo asking for his release from Wichita State....emotions are much more important than anything. You go with people who KNOW you can trust. I have to admit...after getting to know Penny through his news conference videos and looking at YouTube videos...who would not want to play for him? Penny is something special.... something that resonates with fans, recruits, players and alums. He is the X FACTOR.

There is emotion, but there is also reason. Cal has a track record of getting guys to the NBA. Penny said if you added up all the contracts of the guys he got to the NBA you would get close to $1 Billion. Penny has never coached college basketball a day in his life.

Well, it has to do with PERSONAL RELATIONSHIPS and who do you trust more. Wait and see for yourself and then let's revisit.
04-19-2018 08:36 PM
Advertisement

rolexjames Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

But you could argue those players that Cal "sent" to the NBA would go to the NBA if they had played for Shelby State. Those that want to be coach will thrive; those that don't will not. Cal is right when he mentioned people in practice that will push you. If you can't get off the bench at Kentucky, you not NBA material.

How is this for irony? Cal used to say about Quintel Woods that he was going pro even if he came off the bench. The guy Cal used as an example of a bench player who was still drafted despite averaging just 12 pts a game was Mike Miller when he was at Florida. If you can play, you can play.
04-19-2018 09:04 PM
BigTigerMike Offline
Hall of Famer

If James Wiseman went to Highpoint, he still would be the #1 draft pick. Cal give the allusion that because of him, he makes his players lottery and draft picks. Some might say isn’t that what Penny is doing? I doubt that is his pitch from what he and Mike Miller have said. It’s more about telling them that they can prepare them to be ‘ready’ when they do get into the league
04-19-2018 09:13 PM
Julian Offline
1st String

(04-19-2018 09:13 PM)BigTigerMike Wrote:  If James Wiseman went to Highpoint, he still would be the #1 draft pick. Cal give the allusion that because of him, he makes his players lottery and draft picks. Some might say isn’t that what Penny is doing? I doubt that is his pitch from what he and Mike Miller have said. It’s more about telling them that they can prepare them to be ‘ready’ when they do get into the league

Cal: I will get you into the NBA.

Penny: Not only I will get you into the NBA, I will develop you into a NBA star.
04-19-2018 09:19 PM
BigTigerMike Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-19-2018 09:19 PM)Julian Wrote:  
(04-19-2018 09:13 PM)BigTigerMike Wrote:  If James Wiseman went to Highpoint, he still would be the #1 draft pick. Cal give the allusion that because of him, he makes his players lottery and draft picks. Some might say isn’t that what Penny is doing? I doubt that is his pitch from what he and Mike Miller have said. It’s more about telling them that they can prepare them to be ‘ready’ when they do get into the league

Cal: I will get you into the NBA.

Penny: Not only I will get you into the NBA, I will develop you into a NBA star.

Yep!!!!
04-19-2018 09:19 PM
MemphisTigerPawr Offline
Jesus is the risen LORD and Savior

I Root For: TIGERS

Donators

Cal has a track record of recruiting NBA ready players and turning them into NBA ready players and taking all the credit for it.
(This post was last modified: 04-19-2018 09:26 PM by MemphisTigerPawr.)
04-19-2018 09:25 PM
Advertisement

uskjtc02 Away
Heisman

(04-19-2018 09:25 PM)MemphisTigerPawr Wrote:  

Cal has a track record of recruiting NBA ready players and turning them into NBA ready players and taking all the credit for it.

Yep! +2
04-19-2018 09:26 PM
Stammers Offline
Legend

99% Memphis.
04-19-2018 09:46 PM
Bsquared-2 Offline
1st String

Love GP
04-19-2018 09:47 PM
Tiger1983 Offline
BBA

I Root For: Tigers - GTG!

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
I believe Penny is building a compiling narrative that elite recruits can prepare for the NBA just like KY while mentored by personable and cool coaches that played in the NBA, practicing in a state of the art facility, playing in an NBA arena, and living in a diverse, big city that loves basketball.
04-19-2018 10:01 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.