Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

It's Time to Reward the Regular Season - From the Bird's Nest
Bookmark and Share
BirdofParadise Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Should this be the future of the conference tournament?

http://espn1420.com/time-to-revamp-the-c...irds-nest/
04-19-2018 09:42 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Arkansas State
I'm afraid that our hand is forced and that it is time for it. I think the article laid it out well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
04-19-2018 09:53 AM
GSUALUM17 Offline
All American

I Root For: GSU
RE: It's Time to Reward the Regular Season - From the Bird's Nest
The writer failed to connect the dot. Players play with more intensity during the SBC tourney BECAUSE of the NCAA bid.

Simple solution that wont happen...NCAA ought to award bids to the regular season champ AND the tournament winner.
04-19-2018 10:04 AM
EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
Two Possible Compromise Solutions:

Round-robin tournament with 4-6 teams.

A final four decided with best of 3 games.

That will give more of an advantage to whoever the best team at the end of the year is and you still get to have a tournament.
04-19-2018 10:13 AM
T-Dog Offline
SunBeltbbs App State INsider

I Root For: App State
Jim Fox has spoke numerous times about how five bad minutes can derail your season. He speaks on being on the Davidson bench for years, being the #1 seed, sometimes 17-1/18-0, and then five bad minutes in March sends you to the NIT.
04-19-2018 10:17 AM
Georgia_Power_Company Offline
All American

I Root For: GA Southern
(04-19-2018 10:13 AM)EigenEagle Wrote:  Two Possible Compromise Solutions:

That will give more of an advantage to whoever the best team at the end of the year is and you still get to have a tournament.

I like this idea but what about a double elimination tournament with a single game for the title between the two bracket winners.
04-19-2018 10:23 AM
Advertisement

GSUALUM17 Offline
All American

round robin is a good compromise
04-19-2018 11:04 AM
balanced_view Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisiana
(04-19-2018 10:23 AM)Georgia_Power_Company Wrote:  

I like this idea but what about a double elimination tournament with a single game for the title between the two bracket winners.

yes. the double elimination tournament with say 8 teams should be the next step for the powers that be who want to keep the tournament. having a conference favorite loss twice is much harder to complain about. than say having a bad few minutes or half to end your chance at NCAA bid.
04-19-2018 11:42 AM
CAJUNNATION Offline
1st String

I Root For: Western Civilization
About dang time.

The SBC tourney is a money hole in more ways than one. In this day and age of increasing importance of the bottom line, a conference basketball tournament is a foolish luxury from a different era that needs to end.

No compromises will not lose money either except division winners playing a winner take all at higher RPI home court.

Otherwise, just give the bid to the regular season champ. It's time to grow up people.
04-19-2018 11:59 AM
GaSoEagle Offline
Heisman

regular season winner should host the tourney. That rewards winning the regular season. Also why should all 12 teams go. I say go with top 6– 1 and 2 seeds get byes so that give them an advantage in semis vs teams who played on 1st day.

Tourney is played in 3 days:

Day 1: 3 seed vs 6 seed and 4 seed vs 5 seed
Day 2: 1 seed vs 4/5 winner ans 2 seed vs 3/6 winner
Day 3: Championship game
(This post was last modified: 04-19-2018 12:16 PM by GaSoEagle.)
04-19-2018 12:13 PM
GaSoEagle Offline
Heisman

We only let 10 of 12 go to the baseball tourney. Not sure about tennis volleyball etc but all the schools aren’t going to every tourney so I don t see why we have to send all 12 to basketball
04-19-2018 12:29 PM
Advertisement

GSUALUM17 Offline
All American

Top 4 is enough honestly. I'd be ok with the idea that regular season winner should host.
04-19-2018 12:32 PM
T-Dog Offline
SunBeltbbs App State INsider

I Root For: App State
This is an NCAA thing, but conference tournaments shouldn't count toward your tournament resume, good or bad. Especially in a double-elimination format.
(This post was last modified: 04-19-2018 03:04 PM by T-Dog.)
04-19-2018 03:04 PM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
I still think radical ideas for a conference tournament are the best chance we have at keeping the concept of a tourney, yet also rewarding the Regular Season performance

Perhaps setting up a tournament where the top 2 seeds are guaranteed a format similar to double elimination. I believe its called the Page Playoff System.

Have seeds 3 through 8 play two rounds of playoffs to qualify two teams to make the Semifinals

Semifinal Friday:

1 seed vs 2 seed: No matter what both teams are guaranteed another game.

The two survivors of rounds 1 and 2 play in the other Semifinal, but that game is an elimination game...

Survival Saturday:

The Loser of the 1/2 matchup and the Sole survivor of the 3 through 8 bracket face each other in an elimination game. Winner goes to the Finals, loser eliminated

Championship Sunday:

The Winner of the 1/2 Semifinal plays the Survivor of the Saturday elimination game in a Single Game Final. Lose here and you are done regardless.
04-20-2018 10:40 AM
CAJUNNATION Offline
1st String

I Root For: Western Civilization
The SBC Conference Basketball Tournament is a big money loser for the SBC membership.

The best way to earn money for the SBC membership in basketball is to send the best possible RPI ranked schools to the NCAA Tourney.

You want to experience March Madness? Win your league championship or watch Hoosiers.

Sending multiple, if not all, schools to a conference basketball tournament and giving the winner a ticket to the Dance is foolish, dangerous, and dumb.
04-20-2018 11:03 AM
GSUALUM17 Offline
All American

imo, SBC conference tournament should be short as possible. CRH made a good comment on this. Do you really want the winning team to have dead legs in the NCAA tourney? Especially as a lower seed (lets face it, SBC teams will always be the lower seed facing top ranked opponents), we want our teams to be fresh as possible
04-20-2018 11:11 AM
Advertisement

mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR
I argued for years (going back to when Little Rock was in the old TAAC conference) that we should send our "best" team (regular season champ) to the NCAA tournament for all the reasons already discussed. However, at this point, I don't see any way we are going to get rid of the tournament. All leagues, even the Ivy, now have tournaments. Maybe changing the format to favor the top 2 seeds, makes sense, but it don't think it really worked when we tried it a few years back. I guess I've gotten to the point where I feel like "If you are the best team, just win the damn tournament". It's not like anyone has a major "home court" advantage in front of mostly empty seats in New Orleans.
04-20-2018 12:11 PM
balanced_view Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisiana
(04-20-2018 12:11 PM)mjs Wrote:  I argued for years (going back to when Little Rock was in the old TAAC conference) that we should send our "best" team (regular season champ) to the NCAA tournament for all the reasons already discussed. However, at this point, I don't see any way we are going to get rid of the tournament. All leagues, even the Ivy, now have tournaments. Maybe changing the format to favor the top 2 seeds, makes sense, but it don't think it really worked when we tried it a few years back. I guess I've gotten to the point where I feel like "If you are the best team, just win the damn tournament". It's not like anyone has a major "home court" advantage in front of mostly empty seats in New Orleans.

i agree with you, at this point getting rid of the tournament is not going to happen, so changing the format is the only real option. however, saying "best team" just win is the whole problem. one poke in the eye, turned ankle, or player with the flu, and the whole season is erased from the best team because what happens during those 3 days. I'm coming around to the double elimination format to help protect the best team, however "dead legs is a real issue, so reducing the number of teams in the tournament would be needed. maybe top 6, and start the tournament a day earlier.
04-20-2018 12:25 PM
ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Arkansas State
I've got an idea. Why don't we go ahead and play the tournament, but then have a committee determine which of us gets the NCAA bid based on our budgets and historical name recognition.
04-20-2018 12:26 PM
_x_ Offline
All American

I Root For: Texas State
There's really only been one big upset in recent memory where a low seed won the tournament and we had poor representation in the tournament (Troy as a 6 seed last year). GSU won as a 2 seed this year and GSU/Little Rock won as 1 seeds in 2015 and 2016.
04-20-2018 12:35 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.