Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

8 W&M Students Arrested
Bookmark and Share
Tribal Offline

I Root For: William & Mary
8 W&M Students Arrested
A job well done by law enforcement. Shame.

https://www.13newsnow.com/amp/article?se...ssion=true

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
04-18-2018 04:56 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Tribe3455 Offline
Special Teams

RE: 8 W&M Students Arrested
(04-18-2018 04:56 AM)Tribal Wrote:  A job well done by law enforcement. Shame.

And a professor. Wow.
04-18-2018 06:34 AM
Swemster Offline
Bench Warmer

(04-18-2018 06:34 AM)Tribe3455 Wrote:  
(04-18-2018 04:56 AM)Tribal Wrote:  A job well done by law enforcement. Shame.

And a professor. Wow.

And it’s just the beginning of it..
04-18-2018 07:22 AM
Tribal Offline

8 W&M Students Arrested
I hate this for W&M but I have zero tolerance for felonious activity on a college campus (or anywhere really). If found guilty, I hope the professor and students responsible do better after prison.

04-18-2018 08:12 AM
TDenverFan Offline
All American

I'd be lying if I said I was crazy about this. The police have gone kinda overboard in hunting for drugs and whatnot, I feel like it's not really the best use of resources or money, especially for weed.

Also kinda crazy there's a professor there. I wonder how that'll play out with finals right around the corner. I know he cancelled his classes today, he said he had a stomach bug.
04-18-2018 03:18 PM
NC Tribe Offline
1st String

I Root For: W&M, JMU
(04-18-2018 03:18 PM)TDenverFan Wrote:  I'd be lying if I said I was crazy about this. The police have gone kinda overboard in hunting for drugs and whatnot, I feel like it's not really the best use of resources or money, especially for weed.

Also kinda crazy there's a professor there. I wonder how that'll play out with finals right around the corner. I know he cancelled his classes today, he said he had a stomach bug.

I guess he didn't pass the balloon yet?05-nono
04-18-2018 03:30 PM
Advertisement

Swemster Offline
Bench Warmer

(04-18-2018 03:18 PM)TDenverFan Wrote:  I'd be lying if I said I was crazy about this. The police have gone kinda overboard in hunting for drugs and whatnot, I feel like it's not really the best use of resources or money, especially for weed.

+1.

Those who fall in the "kudos to law enforcement" category on this one are unfamiliar with Williamsburg PD, WMPD, and frankly, student life at William & Mary.
04-18-2018 03:32 PM
Tribal Offline

Shrooms, LSD, cocaine, hash, uppers, roids, etc. It's a hell of a lot more than weed. And, they're look at distribution.

04-18-2018 03:45 PM
TribePride52 Offline
1st String

I Root For: William&Mary
I’ve heard that the Campus police didn’t even know about it. And this article kind of suggests they had no involvement. https://www.13newsnow.com/article/news/c...-540714837
04-18-2018 03:49 PM
Tribal Offline

(04-18-2018 03:32 PM)Swemster Wrote:  

+1.

Those who fall in the "kudos to law enforcement" category on this one are unfamiliar with Williamsburg PD, WMPD, and frankly, student life at William & Mary.

I'm far more familiar than you with law enforcement in that area. Fact.

I'm not a recent grad but I'm very familiar with what it means to be a W&M student.

And, don't preach about College stressors, academic drain, or social issues. None of that has changed since I attended and I had outside stressors that...forget it.

You need to read up on what hard drugs has done to our culture before you fall all over yourself defending this.

It's such a mellinial attitude, this notion of blaming cops for catching us doing illegal acts.

04-18-2018 04:01 PM
Rocco Offline
All American

I Root For: William and Mar
(04-18-2018 03:49 PM)TribePride52 Wrote:  I’ve heard that the Campus police didn’t even know about it. And this article kind of suggests they had no involvement. https://www.13newsnow.com/article/news/c...-540714837

Campus Police is bummed they didn't get to use the surplus riot gear they bought from the Pentagon a while back.
04-18-2018 04:05 PM
Advertisement

Tribeheart Online
Heisman

8 W&M Students Arrested
Off topic category move?

Sent from my SM-N910V using CSNbbs mobile app
04-18-2018 04:10 PM
LeadBolt Offline
All American

+1.

I've read studies that say the big failing of current college education is that on average students critical thinking skills are not improving significantly thru their college experience.

I would suggest that thinking that the state should not police hard drug distribution rings at state institutions probably is one of those instances that shows more of an ideological opinion bent vs. one of critical thinking and logic.
04-18-2018 04:16 PM
TribePride91 Offline
All American

I Root For: W&M Tribe
Thought it was an appropriate thread since some of us might not have heard about it. The list of drugs plus the distribution of them make these charges on the surface far more than hunting for weed. Of course, our opinions don't matter, it will be dealt with in Court and each of the defendants can be represented by their own attorney. Nothing good about a professor, current students or a 27 yr old who is a non-student using or selling drugs at or around the campus. The selling of those items is a felony in every state in the country(beyond weed). I doubt they were each framed with the charges, but the Courts will decide that. Either way, this appears to be far more than a few students smoking weed. Hopefully, they will get their lives together after this case is over and they serve their time.
04-18-2018 04:28 PM
nj alum Offline
Petulant

I Root For: william & mary
(04-18-2018 04:10 PM)Tribeheart Wrote:  Off topic category move?

Put it in Siberia with the Comey thread?

If the DOJ indicts, Tribal is going to have to start a criminality category.
04-18-2018 04:42 PM
Tribeheart Online
Heisman

(04-18-2018 04:42 PM)nj alum Wrote:  
(04-18-2018 04:10 PM)Tribeheart Wrote:  Off topic category move?

Put it in Siberia with the Comey thread?

If the DOJ indicts, Tribal is going to have to start a criminality category.

LOL..

Off Topic = non-sports related, not Siberia.

Looks like the minimum sentence for even the lesser charges are 1 year in jail. Talk about a parent's nightmare.

04-18-2018 05:11 PM
Advertisement

Swemster Offline
Bench Warmer

(04-18-2018 04:01 PM)Tribal Wrote:  

+1.

I'm not a recent grad but I'm very familiar with what it means to be a W&M student.

And, don't preach about College stressors, academic drain, or social issues. None of that has changed since I attended and I had outside stressors that...forget it.

You need to read up on what hard drugs has done to our culture before you fall all over yourself defending this.

It's such a mellinial attitude, this notion of blaming cops for catching us doing illegal acts.

Are you a cop?

No one is preaching. Take a step back, my guy, and learn what it means to look at context in these situations (and to spell and use proper subject-verb agreement... but that's a far less significant issue). Now you quit preaching about whatever "mellinial" attitude you're talking about. Your post is dripping with assumptions, and we all know what making assumptions does...
(This post was last modified: 04-18-2018 05:38 PM by Swemster.)
04-18-2018 05:28 PM
Swemster Offline
Bench Warmer

(04-18-2018 04:16 PM)LeadBolt Wrote:  

+1.

I've read studies that say the big failing of current college education is that on average students critical thinking skills are not improving significantly thru their college experience.

I would suggest that thinking that the state should not police hard drug distribution rings at state institutions probably is one of those instances that shows more of an ideological opinion bent vs. one of critical thinking and logic.

This post also lacks context. You probably don't know the details of these cases outside of what you construe from the media's portrayal of these arrests, which is understandable.
04-18-2018 05:35 PM
mrjoolius Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-18-2018 05:35 PM)Swemster Wrote:  
(04-18-2018 04:16 PM)LeadBolt Wrote:  

+1.

This post also lacks context. You probably don't know the details of these cases outside of what you construe from the media's portrayal of these arrests, which is understandable.
I'll admit that I haven't followed this case closely. I believe the arrests were all adults and the arrest paper work is (or will be) public information. It's possible for the media to put a slant on things, but ultimately the charging elements of the arrest are pretty cut and dry.
04-18-2018 05:58 PM
TDenverFan Offline
All American

(04-18-2018 04:01 PM)Tribal Wrote:  

+1.

The thing is it's not like WM has a big drug culture in general, or much of a hard drug culture at all. It's such a small thing here that it kinda confused everyone why the police were making such a big deal out of this. There were drug dogs going through freshman dorms, sting operations, etc. Just felt very excessive to me, and ultimately continues to further the divide between students and cops. Like the WM Campus police and students have a very positive relationship, students feel the WM police are there to help them and keep it safe. Not so much for the town police.

Edit: I'll add that these are just one undergrad's opinions. I know what the law is, and I am aware of the pitfalls of hard drugs, I don't use them myself, so it's not like that's why I'm defending the students.
(This post was last modified: 04-18-2018 06:11 PM by TDenverFan.)
04-18-2018 06:01 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.