UMass positioning themselves to be in the AAC, apparently
04-13-2018 10:17 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

thespiritof1976 Offline
Ancient Alien Theorist

I Root For: Zeti Reticuli
RE: UMass positioning themselves to be in the AAC, apparently
That's, uh, interesting. Maybe they know something we don't ?
04-13-2018 10:26 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(04-13-2018 10:17 PM)Kruciff Wrote:  

lol....Good for them. I'd say they are off to a kinda slow start.
(This post was last modified: 04-13-2018 11:35 PM by Attackcoog.)
04-13-2018 11:34 PM
fishpro1098 Offline
All American

I Root For: Temple
(04-13-2018 11:34 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

lol....Good for them. I'd say they are off to a kinda slow start.

Geographically it is their only realistic conference option but I doubt they get there any time soon.
04-14-2018 02:56 AM
PirateJP Offline
All American

I Root For: ECU; Charlotte

Are they planning on actually building a football stadium? With actual bathrooms and a scoreboard that isn't rented?
04-14-2018 06:38 AM
HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

I Root For: UCONN
I'm positioning myself to be America's Next Top Model.
04-14-2018 06:42 AM
Advertisement

BearcatJerry Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
I'll never understand the love for UMass in some quarters of the AAC fanbase... They are a total mooch program; they want the $$$ and exposure that FBS and the AAC would bring but have historically invested next-to-nothing in their sports and bring next-to-nothing in return. New Hampshire or Delaware would be better additions and partners but you don't hear anyone pining over them.

UMass would be so far down my list of "expansion candidates" that if the American adds them, I'd say it's just time to close up shop because that means we're beyond desperate.
04-14-2018 07:18 AM
BigHouston Offline
STRONG

I Root For: HOUSTON, USC Trojans

I like UMass but until their administration makes major facility improvements the AAC won't take them serious.
04-14-2018 07:42 AM
rosewater Offline
Heisman

I Root For: cincy
(04-14-2018 07:42 AM)BigHouston Wrote:  

I like UMass but until their administration makes major facility improvements the AAC won't take them serious.

Why, I do not understand? There is a major gulf between Houston v. Mass football and basketball. Why would you want to travel across the US to play an inconsequential game. As a Cincy fan, I would want Rice before Umass. Rice at least has academics and a natural rivalry with Houston. However, other than Byu, Boise, and a few other Mwc teams, I prefer to split the checks with no one.
04-14-2018 08:55 AM
panite Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Owls-SC-RU-Navy
(04-14-2018 07:18 AM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  I'll never understand the love for UMass in some quarters of the AAC fanbase... They are a total mooch program; they want the $$$ and exposure that FBS and the AAC would bring but have historically invested next-to-nothing in their sports and bring next-to-nothing in return. New Hampshire or Delaware would be better additions and partners but you don't hear anyone pining over them.

UMass would be so far down my list of "expansion candidates" that if the American adds them, I'd say it's just time to close up shop because that means we're beyond desperate.

New Hampshire and Delaware do not want to move up though so they are out. The AAC can merely schedule games with UMASS especially for FB and BB without taking them into the conference while they make the improvements that need to be made. Close members like UCONN, Temple, an Navy could rotate them through their schedules for FB, and the schools of greater distance could rotate them regionally.

NE - Temple and UCONN - 1 game between them a year.
Mid Atlantic /Tide Region - Navy and ECU - 1 game a year.
Florida - UCF and USF - 1 game a year.
Midwest and SE - CINN, Memphis, Tulane - 1 game a year.
SW - SMU, Houston, and Tulsa - 1 game a year.

This gives UMASS the potential for 5 games a year without a scheduling agreement until the next realignment phase passes through. Gives the AAC a chance to see if UMASS is committed to improving their facilities and team at the D-1 level for possible future inclusion. I would think that Temple and UCONN would want another NE member to cut their travel costs. 07-coffee3
04-14-2018 10:00 AM
panite Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Owls-SC-RU-Navy
(04-14-2018 08:55 AM)rosewater Wrote:  

Why, I do not understand? There is a major gulf between Houston v. Mass football and basketball. Why would you want to travel across the US to play an inconsequential game. As a Cincy fan, I would want Rice before Umass. Rice at least has academics and a natural rivalry with Houston. However, other than Byu, Boise, and a few other Mwc teams, I prefer to split the checks with no one.

Rice, BYU, Boise and a few other MWC schools along with Army would definitely offset a UMASS addition for 14 schools in the conference. At this time all of them would be better additions than UMASS but if one AAC team is lost in the next realignment who would actually join the AAC if the conference lost one of say UCONN, CINN, or Houston, or even two of the conference schools to the B-12 if they stay together and expand to 12 members. 03-idea 03-shhhh 04-cheers
04-14-2018 10:07 AM
Advertisement

billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

I Root For: ECU, Army
(04-14-2018 08:55 AM)rosewater Wrote:  

I think Big went to UMASS right? Biggie? Or I’m thinking of someone else on here but that’s where the Umass love comes from. I myself am always intrigued by a state Flagship joining as most state flagships are in the cartel already but UMASS only makes sense for Uconn and that’s already a problem (A conference stretching from Connecticut to Texas)
04-14-2018 10:10 AM
Pony94 Offline

I Root For: SMU
UMass positioning themselves to be in the AAC, apparently
[Image: 73f66c876f5180c2a1dee0681ef8905e.jpg]
04-14-2018 10:26 AM
BearcatJerry Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
(04-14-2018 10:00 AM)panite Wrote:  
(04-14-2018 07:18 AM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  I'll never understand the love for UMass in some quarters of the AAC fanbase... They are a total mooch program; they want the $$$ and exposure that FBS and the AAC would bring but have historically invested next-to-nothing in their sports and bring next-to-nothing in return. New Hampshire or Delaware would be better additions and partners but you don't hear anyone pining over them.

New Hampshire and Delaware do not want to move up though so they are out. The AAC can merely schedule games with UMASS especially for FB and BB without taking them into the conference while they make the improvements that need to be made. Close members like UCONN, Temple, an Navy could rotate them through their schedules for FB, and the schools of greater distance could rotate them regionally.

Yeah... It's called sarcasm. Except that New Hampshire and Delaware--who don't want to move up--still would make better expansion partners than UMass.
04-14-2018 01:21 PM
THUNDERStruck73 Offline
Complete Jackass

I Root For: Herd, Our Lady, & Heels
I doubt the aac will do anything hint until the p5 moves. I mean, why add UMass if UConn is poached?
04-14-2018 02:25 PM
HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

I Root For: UCONN
Don't know why so many people think UCONN wants/needs UMass in the AAC. If we cared that much about Northern conference mates with mediocre athletic departments, we would have already left the AAC for the MAC.

[Image: ffdfa0a15b9dd52ad8cf73b83899decf.gif]
04-14-2018 02:29 PM
Advertisement

slhNavy91 Online
Heisman

I Root For: Navy

This gives UMASS the potential for 5 games a year without a scheduling agreement until the next realignment phase passes through. Gives the AAC a chance to see if UMASS is committed to improving their facilities and team at the D-1 level for possible future inclusion. I would think that Temple and UCONN would want another NE member to cut their travel costs. 07-coffee3
I have no need for Navy to play UMass.
We have zero spots on our schedule -- if you assume we continue using a final home game, FCS game to share the wealth with our Patriot League friends. If we weren't doing that, better Delaware than UMass. If you tell me it can't be Patriot League or Delaware (maybe "FBS only")....then I would go for bigger matchups (in recent years Ohio State, Penn State, South Carolina) that we no longer get since giving up independence. If you tell me to think regionally, then Pitt and Rutgers are among those we've played a lot and who bring big crowds.
UMass? Nope.
04-14-2018 02:33 PM
THUNDERStruck73 Offline
Complete Jackass

I Root For: Herd, Our Lady, & Heels
(04-14-2018 02:33 PM)slhNavy91 Wrote:  

We have zero spots on our schedule -- if you assume we continue using a final home game, FCS game to share the wealth with our Patriot League friends. If we weren't doing that, better Delaware than UMass. If you tell me it can't be Patriot League or Delaware (maybe "FBS only")....then I would go for bigger matchups (in recent years Ohio State, Penn State, South Carolina) that we no longer get since giving up independence. If you tell me to think regionally, then Pitt and Rutgers are among those we've played a lot and who bring big crowds.
UMass? Nope.

I personally can't wait to play you guys in the near future! 04-cheers
04-14-2018 02:37 PM
Lush Offline
go to hell and get a job

I Root For: the user
i tried to position myself on an amherst grad in a portland bar one time
04-14-2018 02:41 PM
slhNavy91 Online
Heisman

I Root For: Navy
(04-14-2018 02:37 PM)THUNDERGround Wrote:  
(04-14-2018 02:33 PM)slhNavy91 Wrote:  

UMass? Nope.

I personally can't wait to play you guys in the near future! 04-cheers

What is that now? '21/'22? Jack Lengyel storyline should help build interest
04-14-2018 02:48 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.