Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Big Announcement Involving Sun Bowl Renovations
Bookmark and Share
JCMiner Offline
All American

I Root For: UTEP
Big Announcement Involving Sun Bowl Renovations
We’ve heard the rumors for a few years now. Bob Stull wanted to go out with a bang and announce the major facility improvements as his way to seal his name into UTEP legacy. It’s no secret he stood by his two hires (Floyd & Kugler) and that ultimately cost him the support of major donors and his job. It seems Senter has won over some big players and the official announcement will come Friday. Very interested to see what they have in store.

https://twitter.com/sbnminerrush/status/...95488?s=21
04-09-2018 04:55 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

JCMiner Offline
All American

RE: Big Announcement Involving Sun Bowl Renovations
04-09-2018 06:08 PM
Ourland Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The Rice Owls
+1
04-10-2018 11:21 AM
ThreeifbyLightning Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Univ of Middle Tennessee
Screw the Sun Bowl.

Has to be the only on-campus bowl game sans Arizona Bowl (which nobody wants) that doesn't have the conference that is represented by the home team as part of the bowl tie in.

The Sun Bowl is dead to me.
04-10-2018 11:59 AM
CurveItAround Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Mean Green
Well, I guess somebody just finished watching a replay of the NCAA selection show.
04-10-2018 12:57 PM
Heisman

(04-10-2018 12:57 PM)CurveItAround Wrote:  Well, I guess somebody just finished watching a replay of the NCAA selection show.

03-lmfao

04-cheers
04-10-2018 12:58 PM
Advertisement

Volkmar Offline
All American

I Root For: U.T.S.A.
I misread that as Sun Belt renovations when I first saw it. lol
04-10-2018 01:58 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
dahbeed Offline
Heisman

I Root For: wku toppahs!!!
I haven’t been to that many stadiums but I have been to a few in the old Sun Belt and a few since we’ve moved to CUSA. I thought that El Paso’s stadium was the coolest one I’ve been to.

Very friendly people. Such a surreal setting for someone that has spent most of their life this side of the Mississippi River. It’s a hump to get up to it from campus. But it’s a beautiful hump. It was the one stadium in this conference that I really wanted to visit. I was able to do that last October. It was an awful game that we pulled out due to poor field goal kicking on El Paso’s part.

But I loved my visit there. I spent that morning walking the campus and getting the lay of the land. They could truly be called the Hilltoppers if they wanted the nickname. I love the architecture. I read up on it before my visit and it said it was inspired by Bhutan. Kinda crazy to find that in the southwest but there it was.

I wouldn’t mind going again if we ever play them there again. Definitely a great trip. We hit the Cattleman’s Ranch the night before and it was probably the best steak I’ve ever eaten in my life. If you guys ever get a chance to go there for a game I’d definitely recommend the trip.

So I’m not in the TIBL ‘screw the Sun Bowl’ camp. No big surprise there. lol.
04-10-2018 02:48 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
(04-09-2018 06:08 PM)JCMiner Wrote:  A little bit more info.

https://twitter.com/adrian_broaddus/stat...82752?s=21

Did they put the Sun Bowl inside a Croc?
04-10-2018 05:10 PM
Heisman

(04-10-2018 02:48 PM)dahbeed Wrote:  So I’m not in the TIBL ‘screw the Sun Bowl’ camp. No big surprise there. lol.

Come on now. You know we think more and more alike everyday.

As a stadium, I'm sure it's a good experience. Never been myself. Hopefully, the operators of the bowl game that occurs in that stadium will help UTEP with some of the costs. Particularly since they are too good to let UTEP's conference in on the bowl game in spite of the fact that UTEP owns the facility.

Though I will be happy to give partial blame to UTEP given their leadership condones and supports this situation.
04-10-2018 08:30 PM
olliebaba Offline
Legend

I Root For: Christ
(04-10-2018 08:30 PM)ThreeifbyLightning Wrote:  
(04-10-2018 02:48 PM)dahbeed Wrote:  So I’m not in the TIBL ‘screw the Sun Bowl’ camp. No big surprise there. lol.

Come on now. You know we think more and more alike everyday.

As a stadium, I'm sure it's a good experience. Never been myself. Hopefully, the operators of the bowl game that occurs in that stadium will help UTEP with some of the costs. Particularly since they are too good to let UTEP's conference in on the bowl game in spite of the fact that UTEP owns the facility.

Though I will be happy to give partial blame to UTEP given their leadership condones and supports this situation.

If I remember my history concerning this stadium for a long time the MWC wanted it for their conference affiliation too. Never happened and I doubt that it will ever. The sun bowl committee is too enamored of the Cabal to let them go.

As a matter of fact the year that NotOurDame came to play here the sun bowl chairman cried tears of joy. No kidding, real tears.
04-10-2018 10:19 PM
Advertisement

JCMiner Offline
All American

I see how it is. You guys complain about traveling to El Paso to play UTEP but would have no problem traveling to El Paso to play a P5 in a bowl game. Jk

Anyways when the talk of a merger between the CUSA and MW was going around we always thought that the Sun Bowl would have been a perfect place to host the championship game. Since it would be in the middle of MW and CUSA schools.
04-11-2018 11:27 AM
dbackjon Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini
(04-10-2018 11:59 AM)ThreeifbyLightning Wrote:  Screw the Sun Bowl.

Has to be the only on-campus bowl game sans Arizona Bowl (which nobody wants) that doesn't have the conference that is represented by the home team as part of the bowl tie in.

You mean the Arizona Bowl that has been one of the highest attended all G-5 bowl games both years of it's existence?
04-11-2018 12:17 PM
MinerInWisconsin Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UTEP, of course
(04-11-2018 12:17 PM)dbackjon Wrote:  

You mean the Arizona Bowl that has been one of the highest attended all G-5 bowl games both years of it's existence?

I like the Arizona Bowl and wish C-USA had not given up on it. When UTEP starts getting bowl eligible (soon I hope) the Arizona Bowl would be a perfect fit as are the New Mexico Bowl and HoD Bowl.

The bowl will be on CBSSN this year which is an improvement.
04-13-2018 08:39 AM
JCMiner Offline
All American

In about 35 minutes the press conference with the plans will begin. If anyone is interested in watching you can follow the link to the live feed.

https://twitter.com/utepathletics/status...97792?s=21
04-13-2018 03:55 PM
TOPSTRAIGHT Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WKU
Renditions look very attractive!!
04-13-2018 06:20 PM
Advertisement

JCMiner Offline
All American

(04-13-2018 06:20 PM)TOPSTRAIGHT Wrote:  Renditions look very attractive!!

Thank you but it’s not exactly what we were expecting. During the Bob Stull fundraising days the talks were about redoing the south end zone. That’s the end zone without any seats. The money involved was also much bigger.

For now this is a nice start. If we can win hopefully down the road Senter can secure the funds for the south end zone.

https://twitter.com/utepathletics/status...66305?s=21
04-13-2018 09:23 PM
UTEPDallas Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UTEP/Penn State
(04-10-2018 02:48 PM)dahbeed Wrote:  I haven’t been to that many stadiums but I have been to a few in the old Sun Belt and a few since we’ve moved to CUSA. I thought that El Paso’s stadium was the coolest one I’ve been to.

Very friendly people. Such a surreal setting for someone that has spent most of their life this side of the Mississippi River. It’s a hump to get up to it from campus. But it’s a beautiful hump. It was the one stadium in this conference that I really wanted to visit. I was able to do that last October. It was an awful game that we pulled out due to poor field goal kicking on El Paso’s part.

But I loved my visit there. I spent that morning walking the campus and getting the lay of the land. They could truly be called the Hilltoppers if they wanted the nickname. I love the architecture. I read up on it before my visit and it said it was inspired by Bhutan. Kinda crazy to find that in the southwest but there it was.

I wouldn’t mind going again if we ever play them there again. Definitely a great trip. We hit the Cattleman’s Ranch the night before and it was probably the best steak I’ve ever eaten in my life. If you guys ever get a chance to go there for a game I’d definitely recommend the trip.

So I’m not in the TIBL ‘screw the Sun Bowl’ camp. No big surprise there. lol.

Now imagine a sold out Sun Bowl in a night game, so loud that the hills surrounding it echo it. It is a unique experience that is hard to explain unless you experience it.
04-14-2018 02:57 PM
UTEPDallas Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UTEP/Penn State

UTEP and the Sun Bowl committee aka Sunnies are two different entities. Yes, UTEP owns the stadium but unlike most Bowl games, the Sun Bowl is a year round event that has the community involved. From a parade to a golf tournament to a basketball tournament and a beauty pageant, it is an event El Pasoans look forward to. It is the only time they’ll get to see a high profile P5 team in town and as it happened in 2010 or 2011 when the Notre Dame-Miami game was sold out in minutes. UTEP could use its influence but it knows the way it is set up makes money so why even mess with it? The only time I know UTEP used its influence with the Sunnies was in 1998 when WAC left behind TCU was picked over defectors Wyoming, Utah and Colorado State to face Pac-10 rep USC (the Big Ten could not meet its tie-in obligation with the Sun, that why a WAC school was considered). Six months prior that game, an airport meeting in Denver formed the MWC and long time WAC member UTEP wasn’t invited. Other than that, I don’t know if UTEP has ever interfered with the Sun Bowl committe.
(This post was last modified: 04-14-2018 03:13 PM by UTEPDallas.)
04-14-2018 03:07 PM
MUther Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall
CrappiesCrappies
(04-10-2018 05:10 PM)Cyniclone Wrote:  
(04-09-2018 06:08 PM)JCMiner Wrote:  A little bit more info.

https://twitter.com/adrian_broaddus/stat...82752?s=21

Did they put the Sun Bowl inside a Croc?

And to whom does that mock-up actually belong?
04-14-2018 05:14 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.