Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

RealClear Politics to check the "fact"-checkers
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
RealClear Politics to check the "fact"-checkers
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/articl...eview.html

[i]"...For example, is there merit to claims that fact checkers seem to overly focus on conservatives, especially the current president? After all, Americans’ obsession with “fake news,” “filter bubbles” and Facebook came about as a reaction to Trump’s election, so there is merit to asking whether the fact-checking renaissance is itself some kind of cathartic release. Among the six fact-checking organizations examined by the RealClearPolitics Fact Check Review, over one-third of the claims reviewed during the last five months mentioned “Trump” in the title or argument. The numbers varied significantly by organization. A full 65 percent of Washington Post fact checks -- and 62 percent of the New York Times’ – dealt with Trump, compared to 23 percent of Politifact’s and 22 percent of those done by Snopes. It’s clear that some sites are more fixated on the president than others...." [/i]
04-09-2018 10:24 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Ohio Poly Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ohio Poly
RE: RealClear Politics to check the "fact"-checkers
The more fact-checking, the better.
04-09-2018 09:58 PM
Hambone10 Offline
Hooter

I Root For: My Kids

New Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
(04-09-2018 09:58 PM)Ohio Poly Wrote:  The more fact-checking, the better.

I can't agree with such a statement. The more FACTS, yes... but I've noticed that very often the 'fact' being checked is stated in such a way so as to elicit 'the correct' response.

I can't think of a good example at the moment and honestly don't care enough to look it up, but I specifically recall a time when I wanted to know if something was true or not, and the 'snopes' (as I recall) worded it in such a way to result in a 'mostly true' answer without actually being true. Like it was 'Mostly True' that Trump said some phrase that was attributed to him, but the phrase that he said wasn't determined to be true or not.

I'm sorry I can't give a better example.
04-09-2018 10:23 PM
thespiritof1976 Offline
Ancient Alien Theorist

I Root For: Zeti Reticuli
Yes, but who is going to check the checkers ?
04-09-2018 10:58 PM
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
(04-09-2018 10:23 PM)Hambone10 Wrote:  
(04-09-2018 09:58 PM)Ohio Poly Wrote:  The more fact-checking, the better.

I can't agree with such a statement. The more FACTS, yes... but I've noticed that very often the 'fact' being checked is stated in such a way so as to elicit 'the correct' response.

I can't think of a good example at the moment and honestly don't care enough to look it up, but I specifically recall a time when I wanted to know if something was true or not, and the 'snopes' (as I recall) worded it in such a way to result in a 'mostly true' answer without actually being true. Like it was 'Mostly True' that Trump said some phrase that was attributed to him, but the phrase that he said wasn't determined to be true or not.

I'm sorry I can't give a better example.

Or they tailor their "facts" to arrive at the conclusion they desire. Like this one that was posted yesterday.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/...nazi-guns/

Readily admits that the Nazis disarmed the Jews prior to the Holocaust but because they didn't disarm every German citizen they rate it "False".
04-10-2018 08:34 AM
CardFan1 Offline
Red Thunderbird

I Root For: Louisville ACC
Most fact check sights are skewered to favor the opinions of the Left and hurt the Right
04-10-2018 08:44 AM
Advertisement

UofMstateU Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis
Here's snopes being snopes:

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/black-...n-memphis/

Remember the BLM protest that shut down the Memphis bridge? Yea, that protest actually blocked a young girl from getting to the hospital to get a heart transplant. (Emergency crews were finally able to get into the traffic jam, extract the girl and her family, and get her to the hospital via a different bridge.) But snopes writes it up with straw men arguements (the girl dies, whereas that was never mentioned by anybody) or changing the hospital she went to (that hospital doesnt show up as a transplant facillity.)

But, it did occur. And snopes still publishes their fake news fact check.

By the way, does Assad have chemical weapons or not? The fact checkers said Obama and Hillary got rid of all of them.
04-10-2018 08:54 AM
thespiritof1976 Offline
Ancient Alien Theorist

I Root For: Zeti Reticuli
(04-10-2018 08:54 AM)UofMstateU Wrote:  Here's snopes being snopes:

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/black-...n-memphis/

Remember the BLM protest that shut down the Memphis bridge? Yea, that protest actually blocked a young girl from getting to the hospital to get a heart transplant. (Emergency crews were finally able to get into the traffic jam, extract the girl and her family, and get her to the hospital via a different bridge.) But snopes writes it up with straw men arguements (the girl dies, whereas that was never mentioned by anybody) or changing the hospital she went to (that hospital doesnt show up as a transplant facillity.)

But, it did occur. And snopes still publishes their fake news fact check.

By the way, does Assad have chemical weapons or not? The fact checkers said Obama and Hillary got rid of all of them.

Snopes should have stuck to UFO's, bigfoot, and D.B. Cooper. Instead, they became the wolf guarding the henhouse of truth.
04-10-2018 08:59 AM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: So Alabama, GWU
Just so long as we are in agreement that RCP is a biased in favor of the far right wing aggregation site.
04-10-2018 09:35 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

(04-10-2018 09:35 AM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  Just so long as we are in agreement that RCP is a biased in favor of the far right wing aggregation site.

That's your alternative facts again.

It presents both sides, unlike NYT, CNN, ABC, NBC, CBS, etc.
04-10-2018 12:41 PM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-10-2018 12:41 PM)bullet Wrote:  
(04-10-2018 09:35 AM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  Just so long as we are in agreement that RCP is a biased in favor of the far right wing aggregation site.

Lets just look at today's splash page.

Here are the stories featured

1) A right wing pundit arguing that any investigation of anything not directly linked to Russia is bad
2) A centrist article attacking Micheal Cohen
3) A far right wing (Dershowitz) pundit arguing that Cohen should be able to do whatever he wants
4) A centrist article (NYT) attacking Trump's behavior
5) An article quoting a Black Billionaire saying nice things about DJT, when the reality of the African American experience under Trump is not really mentioned. Sure, if you're a billionaire, you're winning under Trump. They just found one Black billionaire to discuss
6) A centrist article that explains Syria without being really critical of Trump
7) A pro-Trump article on Syria
8) A celebration of Donald Trump's stolen Supreme Court pick
9 and 10) 2 stories about Me Too

So, of the highlighted stories. 5 were pro-Trump, 2 were critical, 1 was mixed, and 2 weren't even really about Trump. A 5 to 2 ratio on Pro-vs-Anti Trump is pretty much par for the course for RCP.

And then lets go to their RCP average. It oversamples the phony Rasmussen secret poll that has no internals and no release of its methodology.

----

RCP is kind of doing the HANNITY (and colmes) thing. Where they pretend to be balanced, but they aren't even on time, and then focus on stories that are usually designed to play into Trump's desired talking points.
(This post was last modified: 04-10-2018 01:34 PM by Tom in Lazybrook.)
04-10-2018 01:33 PM
Advertisement

Hambone10 Offline
Hooter

I Root For: My Kids

New Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
Here is something I'd like for someone 'rational' to address....

Not the best example, but if the mainstream media is out there saying that Rice is better than Memphis, and Fox news (or rcp or whatever else) comes out and says that Memphis is better than Rice... then irrational people will claim that Fox is not being balanced because they don't consider that Rice may be better than Memphis... ignoring of course that everyone else has already done that so they may be simply offering a counterpoint.

Why would they need to make the same argument that everyone else has already made? Almost by definition they'd now have to provide half the coverage the others were providing to their conclusion while everyone else was simply piling on to the group-think.
04-10-2018 01:36 PM
GeorgeBorkFan Offline
All American

I Root For:
(04-10-2018 01:33 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  

1) A right wing pundit arguing that any investigation of anything not directly linked to Russia is bad
3) A far right wing (Dershowitz) pundit arguing that Cohen should be able to do whatever he wants
5) An article quoting a Black Billionaire saying nice things about DJT, when the reality of the African American experience under Trump is not really mentioned. Sure, if you're a billionaire, you're winning under Trump. They just found one Black billionaire to discuss
6) A centrist article that explains Syria without being really critical of Trump

So, of the highlighted stories. 5 were pro-Trump, 2 were critical, 1 was mixed, and 2 weren't even really about Trump. A 5 to 2 ratio on Pro-vs-Anti Trump is pretty much par for the course for RCP.

And then lets go to their RCP average. It oversamples the phony Rasmussen secret poll that has no internals and no release of its methodology.

----

RCP is kind of doing the HANNITY (and colmes) thing. Where they pretend to be balanced, but they aren't even on time, and then focus on stories that are usually designed to play into Trump's desired talking points.

If you feel the NYT is centrist, I think that illustrates how skewed your perception of reality is.
04-10-2018 01:47 PM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-10-2018 01:47 PM)GeorgeBorkFan Wrote:  

----

If you feel the NYT is centrist, I think that illustrates how skewed your perception of reality is.

LOL, accusations of a skewed perception of reality from a Trumper. Okay.
04-10-2018 05:51 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

----

I don't know if you are trolling, lying or just totally delusional to call NYT centrist.

Trump's one night stand turns into a legal nightmare NYT
The Cohen raid and Mueller madness American Spectator

The Gorsuch 1st year anniversary is worth celebrating RCP-Ed Meese
Neil Gorsuch's legacy is already devastating-Slate

The Ideology of Illegal Immigration-National Review
Trump's Border Troops are bad political theater-Salon

And so on. They have editorials and stories from both sides of the fence. If you can't admit that, again, you are trolling, lying or need serious help to get you back to reality, maybe even more help than Hillary needs.04-cheers
04-10-2018 05:57 PM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-10-2018 05:57 PM)bullet Wrote:  

----

I don't know if you are trolling, lying or just totally delusional to call NYT centrist.

And so on. They have editorials and stories from both sides of the fence. If you can't admit that, again, you are trolling, lying or need serious help to get you back to reality, maybe even more help than Hillary needs.04-cheers

Today, its 5 to 2 pro Trump at RCP. Tomorrow, it will probably be close to the same.
04-10-2018 06:40 PM
Advertisement

GeorgeBorkFan Offline
All American

I Root For:
(04-10-2018 05:51 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  
(04-10-2018 01:47 PM)GeorgeBorkFan Wrote:  If you feel the NYT is centrist, I think that illustrates how skewed your perception of reality is.

Nope, didn't vote for him. Didn't want him. So, try again. I guess you'd rather call names than have an adult conversation.
04-10-2018 08:50 PM
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry

----

The only perception that's skewed here is your's.

http://guides.lib.umich.edu/c.php?g=637508&p=4462444

Quote:Towards the Left

These news sources are rated as "Lean Left" by Allsides. According to the Pew survey, they are more distrusted than trusted by people who are mostly conservative and consistently conservative; and are more trusted than distrusted by people who are mixed, mostly liberal, and consistently liberal.

New York Times
American daily newspaper published since 1851.
Washington Post
American daily newspaper published out of Washington D.C. since 1877.

Or you can just accept the NY Times admitting it themselves

I challenge you to find a reputable source that shows the New York Times is "centrist"
(This post was last modified: 04-10-2018 09:14 PM by Kaplony.)
04-10-2018 09:10 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

(04-10-2018 09:10 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  
(04-10-2018 12:41 PM)bullet Wrote:  That's your alternative facts again.

----

The only perception that's skewed here is your's.

http://guides.lib.umich.edu/c.php?g=637508&p=4462444

Quote:Towards the Left

These news sources are rated as "Lean Left" by Allsides. According to the Pew survey, they are more distrusted than trusted by people who are mostly conservative and consistently conservative; and are more trusted than distrusted by people who are mixed, mostly liberal, and consistently liberal.

New York Times
American daily newspaper published since 1851.
Washington Post
American daily newspaper published out of Washington D.C. since 1877.

Or you can just accept the NY Times admitting it themselves

I challenge you to find a reputable source that shows the New York Times is "centrist"

Rolling Stone magazine maybe?!
04-10-2018 09:48 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

(04-10-2018 06:40 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  
(04-10-2018 05:57 PM)bullet Wrote:  

----

Today, its 5 to 2 pro Trump at RCP. Tomorrow, it will probably be close to the same.

5 to 2 Trump? That's not just alternate facts, that's alternate universe.
04-10-2018 09:49 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.