Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Holy Cross to stop using Knight logo/mascot
IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
Holy Cross to stop using Knight logo/mascot
Almost ended up changing their name from Crusaders.
https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2018/0...story.html

I’ll say this - I’m so glad I kept my College Hoops 2k videogames that have some old logos and mascots on it.
04-08-2018 05:02 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CardFan1 Offline
Red Thunderbird

I Root For: Louisville ACC
RE: Holy Cross to stop using Knight logo/mascot
Hate PC !
04-08-2018 02:35 PM
RutgersGuy Offline
All American

I Root For: Rutgers
(04-08-2018 02:35 PM)CardFan1 Wrote:  Hate PC !

Yeah me too, I only use MACs
04-08-2018 02:41 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
I would think the Crusader name is more un-PC than the Knight logo.
04-08-2018 02:46 PM
Advertisement

The Cutter of Bish Offline
Heisman

I Root For: the little guy
(04-08-2018 02:46 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  I would think the Crusader name is more un-PC than the Knight logo.

Yeah, and the Board, who I'm sure also had their collective ears bent about this thing, cleared that one. I am left to wonder what really propelled this thing, and why, even after the Board made its decision, the president would still make a move outside of that.

Schools always look bad on these things, though. This kind of thing is up there with changing the name of a building honoring a former school leader or influential donor/benefactor, later finding unpleasant and unflattering information that riles up certain institutional populations. Whatever happened to naming buildings after trees, points on a compass, or the program/discipline that's administratively housed within it?

Society has to embrace the complexity, nuance, and context of everything. It needs to be willing to divorce itself from romanticizing the past and loosening its grip with tradition.
04-09-2018 03:32 AM
Curtisc83 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Liberty U/Clemson
(04-08-2018 02:46 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  I would think the Crusader name is more un-PC than the Knight logo.

Given how sensitive everyone is I wouldn’t be surprised if someone found the name Holy Cross offensive and wanted it changed.
04-09-2018 09:20 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
RutgersGuy Offline
All American

I Root For: Rutgers
(04-09-2018 03:32 AM)The Cutter of Bish Wrote:  

Yeah, and the Board, who I'm sure also had their collective ears bent about this thing, cleared that one. I am left to wonder what really propelled this thing, and why, even after the Board made its decision, the president would still make a move outside of that.

Schools always look bad on these things, though. This kind of thing is up there with changing the name of a building honoring a former school leader or influential donor/benefactor, later finding unpleasant and unflattering information that riles up certain institutional populations. Whatever happened to naming buildings after trees, points on a compass, or the program/discipline that's administratively housed within it?

Society has to embrace the complexity, nuance, and context of everything. It needs to be willing to divorce itself from romanticizing the past and loosening its grip with tradition.

Not really, look at St. John's, Marquette, Stanford and Syracuse to name a few. Changed their name/mascots and moved along just fine. Some things need to change and some schools feel they want/need to change. If those at that school wants to change its name/mascot then thats their business. No one is forcing them to do it. Would you guys be so against this if say State U was changing it's mascot from a bear to a hawk?

[Image: Stanford-Indians.jpg]
[Image: stanford-indians-e1517423944389.jpg]
[Image: indian_logo.jpg]
[Image: 1130.639975230.custom.JPG]
[Image: cGGF9RE.png]
[Image: 3356ac40ff23c14cd16ac31f110cfc44.jpg]
[Image: untitled1.jpg]
[Image: a1a153753a35858d4466fb0e5de4ea1b.jpg]
[Image: 94516bd3b13e1effde03ca1a05fbda6e.jpg]
[Image: Unknown.jpg]
04-09-2018 12:12 PM
Advertisement

bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(04-08-2018 05:02 AM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  Almost ended up changing their name from Crusaders.
https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2018/0...story.html

I’ll say this - I’m so glad I kept my College Hoops 2k videogames that have some old logos and mascots on it.

Its kind of stupid, but at least I understand it.

The Crusaders did some bad things. So did their enemies. But they started the crusades due to the Turks shutting off the Holy Land and committing atrocities against Christian pilgrims.

My daughter is taking World History and they actually credit the Crusades with starting the enlightenment and the Renaissance.

Of course, they also credit them with spreading the Plague which wiped out 1/3 to 1/2 of the population of Europe.
04-09-2018 10:21 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
How are the Univ of Cherokee Scalps doing these days?
04-09-2018 10:24 PM
CardFan1 Offline
Red Thunderbird

I Root For: Louisville ACC
Marquette could have kept the Warriors name. Just changed the Mascot. Warriors are not just Native Americans.
04-10-2018 08:40 AM
Advertisement

CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
They are going to change their logo to a shield that says HC. More like PC.
04-10-2018 08:43 AM
Wolfman Offline
All American

I Root For: The Cartel
My priority would be to change the logo. It looks a lot like UNC and a little like <gasp!> Notre Dame!

[Image: Holy_Cross_Athletics_logo.svg] [Image: unc_tar_heels.png?itok=UWA4kV-J] [Image: Notre_Dame_Fighting_Irish_logo.svg]
04-10-2018 08:53 AM
Ohio Poly Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ohio Poly

...the word ‘‘crusader,’’ in its modern sense, means someone who stands for positive principles
04-10-2018 09:25 AM
McKinney Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UMass, Army, Rutgers
(04-10-2018 08:53 AM)Wolfman Wrote:  My priority would be to change the logo. It looks a lot like UNC and a little like <gasp!> Notre Dame!

[Image: Holy_Cross_Athletics_logo.svg] [Image: unc_tar_heels.png?itok=UWA4kV-J] [Image: Notre_Dame_Fighting_Irish_logo.svg]

That's probably not a coincidence. 03-lmfao

Their historical logos have always been a purple shield with a white cross.
(This post was last modified: 04-10-2018 10:29 AM by McKinney.)
04-10-2018 10:27 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.