Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Racquetball and Handball
Bookmark and Share
MetalTiger Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers!
Racquetball and Handball
In the 80's weren't we kick ass in these sports or am I crazy? They are not even listed on the web site
04-07-2018 08:23 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

jsw3ent Offline
Heisman

I Root For: memphis
RE: Racquetball and Handball
Yep and rifle .
04-07-2018 08:50 PM
jamgut Online
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Memphis
(04-07-2018 08:23 PM)MetalTiger Wrote:  In the 80's weren't we kick ass in these sports or am I crazy? They are not even listed on the web site

Yep, so dominant that one year our B team was national runner-up to our A team!
04-07-2018 09:24 PM
micman Offline
1st String

I Root For: Memphis/GT
(04-07-2018 09:24 PM)jamgut Wrote:  
(04-07-2018 08:23 PM)MetalTiger Wrote:  In the 80's weren't we kick ass in these sports or am I crazy? They are not even listed on the web site

17 national championships (14 consecutive) for racquetball and 9 national championships (8 consecutive) for handball; and both strings were going at the same time as the Pom Pom girls were winning 10 consecutive national championships. In the early nineties, the handball team had the top four seeds one year entering nationals.
04-07-2018 09:33 PM
micman Offline
1st String

I Root For: Memphis/GT
(04-07-2018 09:33 PM)micman Wrote:  
(04-07-2018 09:24 PM)jamgut Wrote:  

17 national championships (14 consecutive) for racquetball and 9 national championships (8 consecutive) for handball; and both strings were going at the same time as the Pom Pom girls were winning 10 consecutive national championships. In the early nineties, the handball team had the top four seeds one year entering nationals.

Gary Parrish continually refers to John Calipari as the greatest coach Memphis has ever had in any sport. By my count, he is at best fourth behind Liles, Mazzone, and Ganong. They coached a combined 35 national championships at Memphis, Calipari coached 0 (note: Larry Edwards coached one of the handball national championship teams).
04-07-2018 09:40 PM
TigerBill Offline
Imperator Optimus Maximus

I Root For: Liberation

Donators
Actually 70s and 80s. I grew up playing with some of those guys at the old Memphis Athletic Club. The women's coach at the time urged me to try out for the team but it was way too much work and I was never that good.

I did beat the women's two best players though, and they were also champs. I was also campus racquetball champ at UTK.
04-07-2018 09:42 PM
Advertisement

ncrdbl1 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
I believe they were club sports when we were winning all those title. Always battle Lake Forest for the title
04-07-2018 10:17 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
AlonsoWDC Offline
Hall of Famer

They were club sports.
04-08-2018 05:08 AM
83msu Offline
All American

I Root For: MEMPHIS TIGERS!
W as it Andy Roberts that won multiple titles in raquetball?
04-08-2018 06:40 AM
presskh Offline
Heisman

(04-07-2018 09:42 PM)TigerBill Wrote:  Actually 70s and 80s. I grew up playing with some of those guys at the old Memphis Athletic Club. The women's coach at the time urged me to try out for the team but it was way too much work and I was never that good.

I did beat the women's two best players though, and they were also champs. I was also campus racquetball champ at UTK.

The women’s coach in the late 70’s was Harriet Lavenue. I took racquetball classes from her, Liles, and Mazzone. I used to watch the team practice in the glass-walled court to get tips on playing and hitting the ball. Mazzone urged me to try out for the team one time but I didn’t due to how much time my engineering studies required. I did end up winning the campus intramurals in 1981 or 1982 but never competed at any higher level. Extremely fun and intense game - you have to be in very good shape, though, to be competitive at all. Fun times, great memories!
04-08-2018 07:53 AM
TigerBill Offline

Donators
(04-08-2018 07:53 AM)presskh Wrote:  
(04-07-2018 09:42 PM)TigerBill Wrote:  Actually 70s and 80s. I grew up playing with some of those guys at the old Memphis Athletic Club. The women's coach at the time urged me to try out for the team but it was way too much work and I was never that good.

The women’s coach in the late 70’s was Harriet Lavenue. I took racquetball classes from her, Liles, and Mazzone. I used to watch the team practice in the glass-walled court to get tips on playing and hitting the ball. Mazzone urged me to try out for the team one time but I didn’t due to how much time my engineering studies required. I did end up winning the campus intramurals in 1981 or 1982 but never competed at any higher level. Extremely fun and intense game - you have to be in very good shape, though, to be competitive at all. Fun times, great memories!

Harriet's the one who urged me to try out but I was too lazy and didn't think I'd ever be fast enough no matter how hard I trained. I wonder if we ever played each other? Those were great times indeed.
04-08-2018 09:48 AM
Advertisement

DallasTiger Online
Hall of Famer

Since we are talking racquetball, I felt compelled to tell this story about Davey Bledsoe, Elvis, Bill Tanner and Memphis becoming the hub of much racquetball activities in the 70's.

In the early 1970's I worked for Bill Tanner in Memphis. Bill had gotten into racquetball because the building he bought on Union Ave Extended, the former SELLERS BUILDING, had a racquetball court on the top or 7th floor penthouse.

So, Bill gets into this whole hog and decides he wants to start playing racquetball. Bill was over 50, so he could qualify as a masters champion if he could get his game up to par. So, he finds two top racquetball players and hires them as company employees. I think one was Mike Zimmerman and the other was.....ELVIS'S Coach.....Davey Bledsoe. I met both many times while working there and they shared duties of working on various advertising accounts and teaching Bill how to play. The end result was Bill Tanner became the national masters champion and also publisher of the monthly racquetball magazine. Anyway, here is a link to a story on Hall of Fame member Bledsoe and his training of Elvis. https://www.ajc.com/sports/hall-fame-hon...JjemBmPWL/
(This post was last modified: 04-08-2018 12:06 PM by DallasTiger.)
04-08-2018 11:46 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TigerBill Offline

Donators
(04-08-2018 11:46 AM)DallasTiger Wrote:  Since we are talking racquetball, I felt compelled to tell this story about Davey Bledsoe, Elvis, Bill Tanner and Memphis becoming the hub of much racquetball activities in the 70's.

In the early 1970's I worked for Bill Tanner in Memphis. Bill had gotten into racquetball because the building he bought on Union Ave Extended, the former SELLERS BUILDING, had a racquetball court on the top or 7th floor penthouse.

So, Bill gets into this whole hog and decides he wants to start playing racquetball. Bill was over 50, so he could qualify as a masters champion if he could get his game up to par. So, he finds two top racquetball players and hires them as company employees. I think one was Mike Zimmerman and the other was.....ELVIS'S Coach.....Davey Bledsoe. I met both many times while working there and they shared duties of working on various advertising accounts and teaching Bill how to play. The end result was Bill Tanner became the national masters champion and also publisher of the monthly racquetball magazine. Anyway, here is a like to a story on Hall of Fame member Bledsoe and his training of Elvis. https://www.ajc.com/sports/hall-fame-hon...JjemBmPWL/

Great story. Those were the days.
04-08-2018 11:48 AM
DallasTiger Online
Hall of Famer

I made an error in by first post. The other coach for Bill Tanner was Mike Zeitman...not Zimmerman. I found him also in the Racquetball Hall of Fame. Here are a few Hall of Fame members of interest with Memphis connections.

Andy Roberts | Memphis, Tennessee
(Professional Athlete, Inducted in Hall of Fame in 2002)
One of the most dominant pro players of the 90's, Andy Roberts finished six seasons with a top five ranking — twice finishing in the No.2 spot (1993, 1995). With over 15 tour wins to his credit, Roberts finished with a top-10 season ranking on the tour as recently as 1999. After graduating from Memphis State University (with several titles) Roberts captured a National Doubles title in 1985, a National Singles title in 1988 and a U.S. Olympic Festival singles win in 1991. He recaptured the National Doubles crown 15 years later in 2000. Selected as the USRA Athlete of the Year twice (1988, 1990), Roberts was also appointed to the U.S. National team for eight consecutive terms (1985-1991), where he added Tournament of the Americas, and World Championship titles to an impressive resume.

Larry Liles | Memphis, Tennessee
(Contributor, Inducted in Hall of Fame in 2010)
Recognized as the "Father of Collegiate Racquetball", Larry's long-time commitment to collegiate racquetball is legendary. His teams at Memphis State University won 17 National Men's titles and 12 National Women's titles. Larry served as coach of the US National Team from 1998-99 and was named United States Olympic Coach of the Year in 1996.

Davey Bledsoe | Atlanta, Georgia
(Professional Athlete, Inducted in Hall of Fame 2010)
Davey's career began in 1973 when he won the IRA Intercollegiate Championships in Champaign, IL. The highlight of his professional career was his 1977 upset victory over Marty Hogan. Davey was also a true racquetball ambassador, featured in over 150 television, radio and magazine interviews and articles.

Randy Stafford | Germantown, Tennessee
(Contributor, Inducted in Hall of Fame in 2013)
Few individuals have contributed more to the sport of racquetball than Randy Stafford. At the age of 20, Randy literally wrote the (second) book on racquetball. He went on to win a collegiate championship, play on the pro tour, start the first state championship in Tennessee, found the Intercollegiate Racquetball Association, serve on the USA Racquetball Board (four years as President), build the online United States Racquetball Museum, and develop the US Racquetball Foundation, which is focused on the future of the sport.
For Randy, racquetball is more than a passion, it became his vocation. He and his long-running business, The Court Company, have built courts across the nation, including the first competition portable glass court that was donated to USA Racquetball and which greatly enhanced the success of the US Open. He is a true ambassador of the sport and great friend of USA Racquetball.

Mike Zeitman | Louisville, Kentucky
(Contributor, Inducted in Hall of Fame in 2014)
Zeitman, 65, of Louisville, Kentucky started in the sport in his teenage years. It didn’t take long for him to become a top amateur and professional. Zeitman’s most meaningful contributions to racquetball would come from his tireless work and volunteerism. Mike was instrumental in saving and building the International Racquetball Association, the precursor to USA Racquetball, in its early years. He is among the first full-time promoters of the sport and did everything from running tournaments, starting pro tours, publishing magazines, starting junior programs and consulting for racquetball companies. He is even credited with introducing the ceiling ball to the sport. Zeitman is a true ambassador of racquetball and his many contributions have set the bar high for those involved with our sport today.
(This post was last modified: 04-08-2018 12:05 PM by DallasTiger.)
04-08-2018 11:55 AM
presskh Offline
Heisman

(04-08-2018 09:48 AM)TigerBill Wrote:  

Harriet's the one who urged me to try out but I was too lazy and didn't think I'd ever be fast enough no matter how hard I trained. I wonder if we ever played each other? Those were great times indeed.

Maybe we played. I was a tall, skinny kid with blond-ish hair in those days.
04-08-2018 03:47 PM
TiggerFan Offline
See Ya, Albert

I Root For: US NAVY

Donators
(04-08-2018 06:40 AM)83msu Wrote:  W as it Andy Roberts that won multiple titles in raquetball?

I audited racquetball when I was 16 by registering as my older brother. Had been playing at the rec center for years and was banging around with the team. Mazzone picked me out on the first day of class and served me a forehand. Rollout. Backhand. Rollout. Anywho, Roberts was a year younger than me at CBHS and beat me 21-0. I quit thinking about trying out because I thought I sucked. And I was playing A and B tournaments at Kessinger, Supreme, and Wimbledon. I looked at the plan for the new rec center. I may have missed it but I didn't see racquetball courts.
04-08-2018 04:39 PM
Advertisement

TiggerFan Offline
See Ya, Albert

I Root For: US NAVY

Donators
(04-08-2018 11:46 AM)DallasTiger Wrote:  Since we are talking racquetball, I felt compelled to tell this story about Davey Bledsoe, Elvis, Bill Tanner and Memphis becoming the hub of much racquetball activities in the 70's.

So, Bill gets into this whole hog and decides he wants to start playing racquetball. Bill was over 50, so he could qualify as a masters champion if he could get his game up to par. So, he finds two top racquetball players and hires them as company employees. I think one was Mike Zimmerman and the other was.....ELVIS'S Coach.....Davey Bledsoe. I met both many times while working there and they shared duties of working on various advertising accounts and teaching Bill how to play. The end result was Bill Tanner became the national masters champion and also publisher of the monthly racquetball magazine. Anyway, here is a link to a story on Hall of Fame member Bledsoe and his training of Elvis. https://www.ajc.com/sports/hall-fame-hon...JjemBmPWL/

I've told you this before. Red West's son Brent and I went to elementary and high school together. Red started taking me out to Graceland to play in 1975. 10:30 or 11:00 at night on school days.. He saw me play at Don Kessinger's on June Road. Every time I went the lights were on and his Elvis' racquet and a ball were waiting between the service lines. His bedroom lights were on and he called down and spoke to Red. The phone was wall mounted on the right as you walked in. Best pinball machine in history. It is back to being a racquetball court now where fans can walk in in a new door cut in to the right wall.
04-08-2018 04:52 PM
TigerBill Offline

Donators
(04-08-2018 03:47 PM)presskh Wrote:  
(04-08-2018 09:48 AM)TigerBill Wrote:  

Maybe we played. I was a tall, skinny kid with blond-ish hair in those days.

I was a tall semi-skinny guy with shoulder length blonde hair and a beer.
04-08-2018 07:30 PM
TigerBill Offline

Donators
Anybody remember Jimmy Thoni? Deadly lefty.
04-08-2018 07:30 PM
true_blue_thru_and_thru Offline
All American

I Root For: The Tigers

Yep, anybody know why the programs were dropped? Is there a backstory? If I had to guess its involves finances but I really have no idea.
04-09-2018 08:28 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.