Another One Bites The Dust: ODUs Michael Hueitt, Jr Transfering
Bookmark and Share
HerdZoned Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Herd

Folding@NCAAbbsCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
Another One Bites The Dust: ODUs Michael Hueitt, Jr Transfering
Michael Hueitt JR Transfering From ODU

Wasn't Hueitt one of the recruits ODU fans were gushing over just before the last recruiting class.
04-07-2018 11:44 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

mturn017 Offline
ODU Homer

I Root For: Old Dominion
RE: Another One Bites The Dust: ODUs Michael Hueitt, Jr Transfering
Yeah he was pretty highly touted coming in. A good sharpshooter but needed work on the rest of his game and some weight put on him. Should have redshirted this year.
04-07-2018 12:08 PM
bit_9 Offline

I Root For: ODU
Never should have played a minute but some posters say he and Godwin refused to red shirt and he wasn't putting in the work off court. Crummy situation as it turns fans against each other. Wish him the best wherever he lands. He's got a really pretty shot and will crush any lesser competition than he saw this year. You break a state 3 point record you can flat out shoot.

Posted from mobile device. Hopefully it's coherent.
(This post was last modified: 04-07-2018 12:16 PM by bit_9.)
04-07-2018 12:12 PM
ghostofclt Offline
1st String

I Root For: Charlotte
clt sassy he left because he could never get time at your tennis facility. Need to close that off to non students.
04-07-2018 03:01 PM
ODU BBALL Offline
Heisman

(04-07-2018 11:44 AM)HerdZoned Wrote:  Michael Hueitt JR Transfering From ODU

Wasn't Hueitt one of the recruits ODU fans were gushing over just before the last recruiting class.

He is a very offensive minded player that set the North Carolina high school record by hitting 16 three pointers in a game last year. In limited action this year at ODU he shot 47% from 3. He could have lit up Marshall this season, but he apparently wasn't good enough defensively to suit Jeff. Still, Jeff managed to guide ODU to a 2-0 record over the Herd without him.
04-07-2018 03:18 PM
Advertisement

banker Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Marshall
(04-07-2018 03:18 PM)ODU BBALL Wrote:  

He is a very offensive minded player that set the North Carolina high school record by hitting 16 three pointers in a game last year. In limited action this year at ODU he shot 47% from 3. He could have lit up Marshall this season, but he apparently wasn't good enough defensively to suit Jeff. Still, Jeff managed to guide ODU to a 2-0 record over the Herd without him.

And one less conference championship.
04-07-2018 09:26 PM
ODU BBALL Offline
Heisman

(04-07-2018 09:26 PM)banker Wrote:  
(04-07-2018 03:18 PM)ODU BBALL Wrote:  

And one less conference championship.

Yeah, the stars definitely aligned for Marshall last month. Never hurts to have a little luck going for you.
04-07-2018 09:40 PM
AdoptedMonarch Offline
Heisman

There are lots of things that we in Monarchland need to focus on this offseason, if we have any hope at all of competing for a top-four bye next season. By comparison, Marshall looks to be in a much, much better position.

We are envious of your returning roster. We are envious of your incoming talent. We are envious of your head coach, who has an actual personality and knows how to inspire his players when it matters.

The one thing we are not envious of: the pathetic level of insecurity that comes with being a Marshall fan. One that necessitates the starting of threads about player departures from rival schools, just for the juvenile joy of snickering about it.
04-08-2018 06:17 AM
ODU BBALL Offline
Heisman

(04-08-2018 06:17 AM)AdoptedMonarch Wrote:  There are lots of things that we in Monarchland need to focus on this offseason, if we have any hope at all of competing for a top-four bye next season. By comparison, Marshall looks to be in a much, much better position.

We are envious of your returning roster. We are envious of your incoming talent. We are envious of your head coach, who has an actual personality and knows how to inspire his players when it matters.

The one thing we are not envious of: the pathetic level of insecurity that comes with being a Marshall fan. One that necessitates the starting of threads about player departures from rival schools, just for the juvenile joy of snickering about it.

Since it's Sunday I'll just add .... Amen to that.
04-08-2018 07:06 AM
Advertisement

HerdZoned Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Herd

Folding@NCAAbbsCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(04-08-2018 06:17 AM)AdoptedMonarch Wrote:  There are lots of things that we in Monarchland need to focus on this offseason, if we have any hope at all of competing for a top-four bye next season. By comparison, Marshall looks to be in a much, much better position.

That's because Dan actually knows how to build a roster with players that fit his system that are not only team first players but like each other on and off the court.

Has Jeff Jones ever recruited someone that was a star for him that started at ODU and finished at ODU.

Trey Freeman came from Campbell and the Big South, BJ Stith came from Virginia and the ACC, Brandon Stith came from ECU and CUSA, Trey Porter came from George Mason and the A10.

Then he runs off player after player because as some of you claim, they don't play his style, can't play his style. Then that's on Jones and not the player. He is the coach and more importantly suppose to be the teacher to teach his system and mold the young guys into men.

Quote:We are envious of your returning roster. We are envious of your incoming talent. We are envious of your head coach, who has an actual personality and knows how to inspire his players when it matters.

That's because we have people in the right place to be successful. People most likely you included laughed at the Dan D'Antoni hiring but no one is laughing now.

Quote:The one thing we are not envious of: the pathetic level of insecurity that comes with being a Marshall fan. One that necessitates the starting of threads about player departures from rival schools, just for the juvenile joy of snickering about it.

I'm not insecure or juvenile. I waited a day and a half for someone at ODU to post his departure and no one did, so I started it.

ODU fans are one the most delusional fan bases out side of Morgantown. I won't even say most of you, its all of you think you belong in the AAC or if not that the A10 with indy football. When you can't even win in CUSA.

Jones hasn't had the players to win CUSA, my guess he doesn't teach he just shows the plays and expects his players to pick it up and when they don't it becomes a screaming match in practice. Wilder and ODU the last 3 years have had the 10th ranked, 13th ranked and 13th ranked recruiting class and yet ODUers think they are above this conference.

Don't ever try and talk to me sarcastically again like you did, I will tear you down faster than ever with the facts that ODU isn't half as good as their fans think.
04-08-2018 11:35 AM
AdoptedMonarch Offline
Heisman

(04-08-2018 11:35 AM)HerdZoned Wrote:  Don't ever try and talk to me sarcastically again like you did, I will tear you down faster than ever with the facts that ODU isn't half as good as their fans think.

I doubt that there are many (if any) ODU fans who are blind to the challenges facing our program. By far the most active debate on our home board is whether Jeff Jones will be our head coach after this coming season.

As troubling as that may be, the one saving grace is that we at least have retained a proper sense of self awareness -- something that is completely lacking in so many Marshall fans.

That you have so much going for your program, yet we smoked you twice, has got to burn. (Perhaps that lack of self awareness is helpful after all.)
04-08-2018 12:20 PM
ODU BBALL Offline
Heisman

(04-08-2018 12:20 PM)AdoptedMonarch Wrote:  
(04-08-2018 11:35 AM)HerdZoned Wrote:  Don't ever try and talk to me sarcastically again like you did, I will tear you down faster than ever with the facts that ODU isn't half as good as their fans think.

I doubt that there are many (if any) ODU fans who are blind to the challenges facing our program. By far the most active debate on our home board is whether Jeff Jones will be our head coach after this coming season.

As troubling as that may be, the one saving grace is that we at least have retained a proper sense of self awareness -- something that is completely lacking in so many Marshall fans.

That you have so much going for your program, yet we smoked you twice, has got to burn. (Perhaps that lack of self awareness is helpful after all.)

Epic Applause
04-08-2018 01:04 PM
mturn017 Offline
ODU Homer

I don't know guys. I'm here checking in on the CUSA board while taking a crap and I swear to god it smells like roses in here.
04-08-2018 02:03 PM
Advertisement

Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

Good grief. Marshall finds the NCAA tourney (as a 4 seed in CUSA) for the first time in like 3 decades and all of a sudden they are a powerhouse that knows how to do everything right.
04-08-2018 08:57 PM
ODUBB35 Offline
Heisman

Congratulations on your semi-centennial NCAA Appearance. Maybe you'll make another before cash money completely disappears.
04-10-2018 03:07 PM
THF Thundering Herd Fan Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Marshall
I’m not new here...just for some reason don’t get emails.

Anyway, I’m curious why the ODU fans are so salty about this? Two big departures at ODU, one huge, and the vitriol returned was a bit much.

Marshall fans will take two losses to ODU and an NCAA win every year. Sign me up for that. You would trade the Marshall wins for the NCAA bid.

Did things really fall into place for Marshall? Sure. That’s how it works unless you are the dominant team. That said, it happened because Marshall earned the 4 seed by winning at MTSU. Then Marshall beat UTSA, Southern Miss and Western Kentucky to win the league. WKU won by 25 in Huntington the night Penava got hurt before the first media timeout. That wasn’t a great matchup. ODU had a chance to do something about it but they lost to Western Kentucky.

Marshall knocked ODU out of the tournament last year. ODU reached the final the prior year.

Here’s where I ask some questions of ODU fans. I come from pure ignorance because all I know specifically about ODU’s CAA run was that there were a couple of NBA talents, and NCAA bids. Watching more closely since you arrived in C-USA, is the talent of your team drastically different (NBA guys notwithstanding)? Or are CUSA teams better than perceived? Because ODU has fit into the upper-echelon of the league but they haven’t gotten postseason recognition.

Look, Marshall fans are enjoying the after glow of a great season, but Huntington is a basketball town. There’s a whole generation of people that don’t know that. Basketball has, long term, been the sport locals rallied behind. Football team had some amazing years, but much of the fan-invested interest in those teams were because they were good. Marshall averaged 15k for the 1996 playoffs, a team that had Randy Moss and played in a 30,000 seat stadium (the weather truly was horrendous, but that group was amazing). Fans show up to see who Marshall plays in football. When it comes to basketball, fans go to watch Marshall.

My point is, despite Marshall’s exhausting NCAA dryspell, folks around here still follow the sport closely. Probably closer than football. Just how it is here.

I’m tickled with where Marshall’s program is. Right coach (FINALLY), development of the roster (Marshall’s players have made marked improvements over the years. They CLEARLY develop into better players).

And finally, the emergence of Jannsen Williams was what sparked the late season run. He began starting the final two games of the regular season. He got markedly better as the season progressed. ODU was a terrible matchup, especially when they hit outside jumpers in Huntington (that was a high-level of play by each team I felt). Williams improvement would have made a third matchup intriguing, too.

I respect ODU. I respect the caliber of coach Jeff Jones is even with flaws. ODU is a great program. The saltiness in this thread is very unbecoming of a program that has had the success of ODU.
04-11-2018 10:03 AM
ODUBB35 Offline
Heisman

(04-11-2018 10:03 AM)THF Thundering Herd Fan Wrote:  I’m not new here...just for some reason don’t get emails.

Anyway, I’m curious why the ODU fans are so salty about this? Two big departures at ODU, one huge, and the vitriol returned was a bit much.

Marshall fans will take two losses to ODU and an NCAA win every year. Sign me up for that. You would trade the Marshall wins for the NCAA bid.

Did things really fall into place for Marshall? Sure. That’s how it works unless you are the dominant team. That said, it happened because Marshall earned the 4 seed by winning at MTSU. Then Marshall beat UTSA, Southern Miss and Western Kentucky to win the league. WKU won by 25 in Huntington the night Penava got hurt before the first media timeout. That wasn’t a great matchup. ODU had a chance to do something about it but they lost to Western Kentucky.

Marshall knocked ODU out of the tournament last year. ODU reached the final the prior year.

Here’s where I ask some questions of ODU fans. I come from pure ignorance because all I know specifically about ODU’s CAA run was that there were a couple of NBA talents, and NCAA bids. Watching more closely since you arrived in C-USA, is the talent of your team drastically different (NBA guys notwithstanding)? Or are CUSA teams better than perceived? Because ODU has fit into the upper-echelon of the league but they haven’t gotten postseason recognition.

Look, Marshall fans are enjoying the after glow of a great season, but Huntington is a basketball town. There’s a whole generation of people that don’t know that. Basketball has, long term, been the sport locals rallied behind. Football team had some amazing years, but much of the fan-invested interest in those teams were because they were good. Marshall averaged 15k for the 1996 playoffs, a team that had Randy Moss and played in a 30,000 seat stadium (the weather truly was horrendous, but that group was amazing). Fans show up to see who Marshall plays in football. When it comes to basketball, fans go to watch Marshall.

My point is, despite Marshall’s exhausting NCAA dryspell, folks around here still follow the sport closely. Probably closer than football. Just how it is here.

I’m tickled with where Marshall’s program is. Right coach (FINALLY), development of the roster (Marshall’s players have made marked improvements over the years. They CLEARLY develop into better players).

And finally, the emergence of Jannsen Williams was what sparked the late season run. He began starting the final two games of the regular season. He got markedly better as the season progressed. ODU was a terrible matchup, especially when they hit outside jumpers in Huntington (that was a high-level of play by each team I felt). Williams improvement would have made a third matchup intriguing, too.

I respect ODU. I respect the caliber of coach Jeff Jones is even with flaws. ODU is a great program. The saltiness in this thread is very unbecoming of a program that has had the success of ODU.

I think the vitriol you see is directed mainly at one Herd poster.

The talent in the CAA in our final years was better than what we see in the current CUSA, at least with the top teams. ODU has yet get land the talent, not to mention the toughness, of the teams from 2004 to 2011.

Of course, it took a while for the CAA to get to that point. We thought CUSA was headed there, but recent events at ODU, MTSU, and UAB have stalled our rise.
04-11-2018 10:42 AM
Advertisement

Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-11-2018 10:03 AM)THF Thundering Herd Fan Wrote:  I’m not new here...just for some reason don’t get emails.

Mainly a defensive mechanism. For some reason a handful of Marshall fans go on and on about ODU despite ODU fans generally not caring about Marshall. They went on and on about how Marshall would beat ODU at home because "Elmore was sick and Peneva was hurt" at ODU.

Marshall is a good team that finished 4th in the CUSA and played well in the tourney (with a good draw). A handful of posters make it seem like Marshall is a dynasty.
04-11-2018 10:51 AM
ODU BBALL Offline
Heisman

In my opinion the top half of the CAA from approximately 2001 - 2011 was superior in basketball to anything that ODU has been involved with since our time in C-USA. During that time both George Mason and VCU made it to the NCAA Final Four out of the CAA. ODU got several NCAA bids during that time, including one or two at large bids. They defeated Notre Dame before losing to Baylor in New Orleans, and lost to Butler on a buzzer beating rebound follow shot in D.C. It is the same Butler team that defeated VCU that year in the Final Four with Butler making it to the Championship game. ODU defeated Shaka Smart & VCU 2 out of 3 times that season, including in the CAA Tournament Championship game that was played in the Richmond Coliseum which is literally just a few blocks down Broad Street from where VCU plays its home games.

ODU also went to the NIT Final Four during that time as well. Since joining C-USA ODU has not consistently had the same level of teams that they had last decade. As ODUBB35 stated, ODU also has not had the same level of toughness in their teams that they had under our former coach, or even come close to having the continuity of the rosters from year to year that they had then. For those reasons and possibly a few that I have failed to mention, ODU has not done as well as it probably could in supporting C-USA basketball thus far. It may take another coach somewhere down the line to do it, but if ODU ever does get back to the level that they were under Blaine, the conference will be improved because of it, and ODU will be back in the NCAA Tournament at least every few seasons.
04-11-2018 12:48 PM
mturn017 Offline
ODU Homer

Herdzoned was on our board talking **** the week before. He was wetting his panties to post this. We know it, he knows it.

It sucks but the guy was falling lower down on the depth chart and wanted to play more immediately. Losing Porter is a big blow and there's no way to sugar coat it.

But to answer your question. We don't mind discussing our players transferring out. But Herdzoned is being a douche whether it's evident to you reading just this thread. We do shitpost with the best of them.
04-11-2018 04:46 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.