Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Trump really doesn't like Amazon
Fort Bend Owl Offline
Legend

I Root For: An easy win
The Parliament Awards
He's continuing his twitter tirade against Amazon. One of his latest tweets claimed the post office loses $1.50 on every package it delivers for Amazon (I believe he's using someone else's report but I don't know which report he is citing).

I have no problem with him egging on Amazon, and hopefully USPS gets the message and raises their fees on the Amazon packages.

But here's my question - if Amazon is making like a bandit on its contract with the USPS, why don't they ship everyone of their packages through the post office? I'm assuming UPS and Fed Ex aren't losing money on their Amazon deliveries (Trump never has claimed any wrong-doing on those contracts at least)?

My unofficial conclusion, based on the packages I receive and that of my neighbors that I see on their porches, is the post office delivers at least half of all Amazon packages but that UPS and Fed Ex divide up the rest.

Maybe USPS' losses on the Amazon deliveries have nothing to do with Amazon, but the report is just skewed to include general USPS losses that are based entirely on their government mandated pre-funding of the retirement benefits? My guess is that all three of the shipping companies make a bit on every package they deliver for Amazon, but not nearly as much as they should be making.
03-31-2018 05:30 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Kronke Offline
Banned

I Root For: Arsenal / StL
I also despise amazon, and there are legitimate, anti-trust concerns with the company.

He’s right about the $1.50 (it’s actually $1.46, so snopes will probably say the claim is false), that number comes from an analysis from Citi. They said that each package USPS delivers for amazon, “..might as well come stapled with a $1.46 gift card from Uncle Sam.”

They are putting retailers out of business, and being subsidized with taxpayer money to do it. Bad deal!
(This post was last modified: 03-31-2018 06:02 PM by Kronke.)
03-31-2018 05:49 PM
Old Dominion Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
RE: Trump really doesn't like Amazon
(03-31-2018 05:30 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  He's continuing his twitter tirade against Amazon. One of his latest tweets claimed the post office loses $1.50 on every package it delivers for Amazon (I believe he's using someone else's report but I don't know which report he is citing).

I have no problem with him egging on Amazon, and hopefully USPS gets the message and raises their fees on the Amazon packages.

But here's my question - if Amazon is making like a bandit on its contract with the USPS, why don't they ship everyone of their packages through the post office? I'm assuming UPS and Fed Ex aren't losing money on their Amazon deliveries (Trump never has claimed any wrong-doing on those contracts at least)?

My unofficial conclusion, based on the packages I receive and that of my neighbors that I see on their porches, is the post office delivers at least half of all Amazon packages but that UPS and Fed Ex divide up the rest.

Maybe USPS' losses on the Amazon deliveries have nothing to do with Amazon, but the report is just skewed to include general USPS losses that are based entirely on their government mandated pre-funding of the retirement benefits? My guess is that all three of the shipping companies make a bit on every package they deliver for Amazon, but not nearly as much as they should be making.

Please don't believe a word of the nonsense Trump says about the Postal Service. He's clueless.

The postal service is in partnership with many mail order businesses.
Here's how it works. The supplier, amazon, ships most of their merchandise from their distribution points via UPS,FEDEX etc. they process and transport merchasdise sometimes thousands of miles then deliver the merchandise to the delivering post office, who then takes it out to the customer. It's called "Final Mile" and it works like a dream. The postal service doesn't touch the package until it goes out to delivery. No processing costs whatsoever. FedEx and UPS don't have to make a single item delivery to one address in a neighborhood.
UPS is actually designed as a BUSINESS to Business service. You pay a premium (hidden) for delivery to residential addresses. Remember, the Postal Service goes past every address in the country 6 days a week., whether they have mail for an address or not. It is much more cost efficient to have something to deliver, even if it's just a package or "junk mail". With first class volumes and revenue shrinking yearly, they have done a masterful job of adapting to changing times.
The Postal Service would probably be in the black if congress would stop requiring them to fund retirements years out, then steal the money from them just like they do with Social Security.

Another example of a big government agency that works with amazing proficiency. Can you imagine how much a letter would cost you to deliver from say New York to Los Angeles if a private delivery system did it? and remember, the Postal Service does not receive any government money. They are self supporting and successful, despite political interference.
(This post was last modified: 03-31-2018 05:57 PM by Old Dominion.)
03-31-2018 05:52 PM
Fort Bend Owl Offline
Legend

I Root For: An easy win
The Parliament Awards
Bill Kristol (who absolutely has been going after Trump lately) had an interesting tweet this morning.

'I'm perfectly open to criticism of Amazon for predatory pricing, etc.--but it's interesting that Facebook is used by Russia to interfere in our election, and Trump's focus is all on Amazon.'
03-31-2018 06:29 PM
UofMemphis Away
Official MT.org Ambassador of Smack

I Root For: Univ of Memphis

Donators
Trump really doesn't like Jeff Bezos' washington post so he's going to try and squeeze Amazon.

his 'delivery boy' comment made me laugh as the Post Office is literally every American's delivery boy...it's their job.
(This post was last modified: 03-31-2018 06:35 PM by UofMemphis.)
03-31-2018 06:34 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Kronke Offline
Banned

(03-31-2018 06:29 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  Bill Kristol (who absolutely has been going after Trump lately) had an interesting tweet this morning.

'I'm perfectly open to criticism of Amazon for predatory pricing, etc.--but it's interesting that Facebook is used by Russia to interfere in our election, and Trump's focus is all on Amazon.'

$300 in facebook ads in Pennsylvania that were seen by no one isn't "interfering" in our election.

bill kristol is a hack, and needs to let it go already. He may be the one person that took 2016 worse than hillary.
(This post was last modified: 03-31-2018 06:36 PM by Kronke.)
03-31-2018 06:36 PM
Advertisement

Old Dominion Offline
Heisman

(03-31-2018 05:49 PM)Kronke Wrote:  I also despise amazon, and there are legitimate, anti-trust concerns with the company.

He’s right about the $1.50 (it’s actually $1.46, so snopes will probably say the claim is false), that number comes from an analysis from Citi. They said that each package USPS delivers for amazon, “..might as well come stapled with a $1.46 gift card from Uncle Sam.”

They are putting retailers out of business, and being subsidized with taxpayer money to do it. Bad deal!

Absolutely not true. Read my following comment. Taxpayers do not fund the postal service and they haven't for years. Remember as a quasi independent agency, the postal service is not allowed to make a profit. It is a service. Each class of mail is mandated to pay for itself based on revenue collected from users. The only money the PO gets from Uncle is for Non-profit mail, which is subsidized as a public service. The rates the PO charges for Non profit do not cover the costs of processing and delivering. Uncle pays the difference. It's called revenue forgone. Believe me, if the postal service had its way there would be no non-profit rate.
03-31-2018 06:46 PM
thespiritof1976 Offline
Ancient Alien Theorist

I Root For: Zeti Reticuli
(03-31-2018 06:36 PM)Kronke Wrote:  
(03-31-2018 06:29 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  Bill Kristol (who absolutely has been going after Trump lately) had an interesting tweet this morning.

$300 in facebook ads in Pennsylvania that were seen by no one isn't "interfering" in our election.

bill kristol is a hack, and needs to let it go already. He may be the one person that took 2016 worse than hillary.

Never Trumpers have the intelligence of an Earthworm.
03-31-2018 06:48 PM
Kronke Offline
Banned

(03-31-2018 06:46 PM)Old Dominion Wrote:  Believe me

lol no, I believe Citi and the WSJ.
03-31-2018 06:50 PM
Old Dominion Offline
Heisman

(03-31-2018 06:50 PM)Kronke Wrote:  
(03-31-2018 06:46 PM)Old Dominion Wrote:  Believe me

lol no, I believe Citi and the WSJ.

your loss. Stay in ignorance if it fits your narrative.
03-31-2018 06:52 PM
Jjoey52 Offline
All American

I Root For: ISU
(03-31-2018 06:48 PM)thespiritof1976 Wrote:  
(03-31-2018 06:36 PM)Kronke Wrote:  

Never Trumpers have the intelligence of an Earthworm.

Bill Kristol used to have credibility, now he is just a moron.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
03-31-2018 07:04 PM
Advertisement

58-56 Offline
Blazer Revolutionary

I Root For: Fire Ray Watts

BlazerTalk Award
Trump may be flailing incoherntly, but he's not wrong about the unholy Amazon-USPS alliance being against the public interest. My company pays (not charges, pays) about 3 to 4 times what Amazon charges. This is how Amazon is crushing small business.

And then there's this below. A Chinese contact sent me a sample from Guangdong last week. It cost her $1.53. I'll send it back Monday with alterations, but same size and weight. It'll cost us $32.44.

**** steel. This is where the Chinese are killing American business:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/wadeshepard...d38a5240ca
03-31-2018 07:15 PM
Paul M Offline
American-American

I Root For: OU
Trump needs to keep his personal feud personal and stop using the US government and his office to harm a business owner he doesn't like. Little ******* twerp.
03-31-2018 07:41 PM
thespiritof1976 Offline
Ancient Alien Theorist

(03-31-2018 06:46 PM)Old Dominion Wrote:  
(03-31-2018 05:49 PM)Kronke Wrote:  I also despise amazon, and there are legitimate, anti-trust concerns with the company.

Absolutely not true. Read my following comment. Taxpayers do not fund the postal service and they haven't for years. Remember as a quasi independent agency, the postal service is not allowed to make a profit. It is a service. Each class of mail is mandated to pay for itself based on revenue collected from users. The only money the PO gets from Uncle is for Non-profit mail, which is subsidized as a public service. The rates the PO charges for Non profit do not cover the costs of processing and delivering. Uncle pays the difference. It's called revenue forgone. Believe me, if the postal service had its way there would be no non-profit rate.

Since 58-56 just destroyed your narrative of ignorance, you ought to do the honorable thing and leave this site for a while.

Don't worry too much though. You can still use one of your dozen or so sock puppet accounts.....
03-31-2018 08:23 PM
thespiritof1976 Offline
Ancient Alien Theorist

(03-31-2018 07:41 PM)Paul M Wrote:  Trump needs to keep his personal feud personal and stop using the US government and his office to harm a business owner he doesn't like. Little ******* twerp.

"Get in their faces!"

-"President" H. Rap Brown
03-31-2018 08:24 PM
stinkfist Offline
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards

this is all that needs to be addressed....

tackle that, and the rest will be no different than AT&T in the end.....

there's a few more out there....

it's going to be interesting how the DOJ/congress proceeds moving forward......I have my doubts as does DJT......you can feel the slime crawling......
03-31-2018 09:44 PM
Advertisement

Old Dominion Offline
Heisman

(03-31-2018 08:23 PM)thespiritof1976 Wrote:  
(03-31-2018 06:46 PM)Old Dominion Wrote:  

Since 58-56 just destroyed your narrative of ignorance, you ought to do the honorable thing and leave this site for a while.

Don't worry too much though. You can still use one of your dozen or so sock puppet accounts.....

You sound very delusional. His argument did not even begin to address what I wrote. Apparently you either did not read it or have a monumental comprehension problem.

Please do not state I have sock accounts. I don't even know for sure what they are. You must have me mixed up with someone else.
At any rate your post brought absolutely nothing to the table.
Perhaps you need to take a break.
(This post was last modified: 04-01-2018 12:26 PM by Old Dominion.)
04-01-2018 12:24 PM
Old Dominion Offline
Heisman

Just for clarification. Many (most) of you have absolutely no idea how the Post Office works. I do. I worked there for 30 years. My last job was in business mail. Although it's been almost 10 years since I retired, I'm pretty sure I'm right about certain things.
One thing Trump and some of the other misinformed don't realize is the Post Office is not allowed, by law, to give quantity discounts to bulk mailers. Believe me, they'd love to. It would simplify life tremendously

What they can do is license mailers to PRE-SORT mail or packages, so that the PO doesn't have to handle and process the mail in it's own system. The mail literally by passes some or all internal processing thus reducing PO's the costs. This cost reduction is in turn passed on to the mailer in the form of a lower rate.
Remember the PO has to have each class of mail pay for itself. If The PO can deliver a piece for $1.49 or whatever, it has already determined that is an adequate price to charge.

I know I'm wrong on here often, but this is an area right in my wheel house. I'm not wrong. Your angry at Amazon because they are successful. So is Wal-Mart. Are you just as upset with them?
They force mom and pops out of business, make employees work for free, lower wages in every area where they bring new stores and dictate terms to suppliers like telling them what products they can sell.Where's the outrage??
04-01-2018 12:39 PM
Kronke Offline
Banned

(04-01-2018 12:39 PM)Old Dominion Wrote:  Many (most) of you have absolutely no idea how the Post Office works. I do. I worked there for 30 years.

That explains a lot.
04-01-2018 12:49 PM
Old Dominion Offline
Heisman

So are you willing to dispute the content of my post or just make childish comments?
04-01-2018 12:53 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.