Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

#NBArank Game Changers: Most influential players ever
Bookmark and Share
Julian Offline
1st String

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
MyBB #NBArank Game Changers: Most influential players ever
Penny Hardaway ranked #55, behind #54 Kevin Durant and ahead of #56 Dennis Rodman

At 6-foot-7, Anfernee "Penny" Hardaway blended some of the size and skills of Magic Johnson with some of the spectacular talent of Michael Jordan. In future years, LeBron James would become an even bigger, better version of the same player. But James and many others of his generation cite Penny as an inspiration.

Big-time success came quickly and left quickly, as with several other stars of the '90s. Hardaway twice was named All-NBA first team and was a major marketing star with Nike's Lil Penny character (voiced by Chris Rock). And in his second season, Penny, Shaquille O'Neal and the Orlando Magic made the NBA Finals.

But Shaq departed, Penny suffered knee injuries and his reputation, previously spotless, took hits. He eventually faded from the NBA in 2007 and became a coach and community leader in his hometown of Memphis -- where in 2018 he was hired as head coach of his college alma mater, bringing him full circle.
03-28-2018 06:26 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Coolidge1 Offline
The women's pet and the mens regret!

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
RE: #NBArank Game Changers: Most influential players ever
(03-28-2018 06:26 PM)Julian Wrote:  Penny Hardaway ranked #55, behind #54 Kevin Durant and ahead of #56 Dennis Rodman

At 6-foot-7, Anfernee "Penny" Hardaway blended some of the size and skills of Magic Johnson with some of the spectacular talent of Michael Jordan. In future years, LeBron James would become an even bigger, better version of the same player. But James and many others of his generation cite Penny as an inspiration.

Big-time success came quickly and left quickly, as with several other stars of the '90s. Hardaway twice was named All-NBA first team and was a major marketing star with Nike's Lil Penny character (voiced by Chris Rock). And in his second season, Penny, Shaquille O'Neal and the Orlando Magic made the NBA Finals.

But Shaq departed, Penny suffered knee injuries and his reputation, previously spotless, took hits. He eventually faded from the NBA in 2007 and became a coach and community leader in his hometown of Memphis -- where in 2018 he was hired as head coach of his college alma mater, bringing him full circle.

Curious what the hits to his reputation were?
03-29-2018 02:55 PM
sockeyes Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Memphis!
(03-29-2018 02:55 PM)Coolidge1 Wrote:  
(03-28-2018 06:26 PM)Julian Wrote:  Penny Hardaway ranked #55, behind #54 Kevin Durant and ahead of #56 Dennis Rodman

Girlfriend accused him of "threatening" her. I don't think it ever went to court though.
03-29-2018 03:02 PM
Advertisement

memtigbb Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: memphis

If I remember correctly, Chuck Daly questioned his heart on multiple occassions. One time going so far as to say that Penny couldnt come to practices but he would drive past the countryclub to see Penny on the golf course.

http://articles.courant.com/1999-02-25/s...t-harpring

His reputation was damaged, too. With the Magic medical staff and Hardaway in disagreement over the severity of his injury, Hardaway flew to Houston for a second opinion, and stayed there for his rehabilitation. Daly, in his first season as Magic coach after winning two championships with the Pistons, wondered aloud about Hardaway's commitment. So, privately, did other members of the front office.
(This post was last modified: 03-29-2018 03:05 PM by memtigbb.)
03-29-2018 03:02 PM
BIGDTiger Offline
AKA The Big Shizzle

I Root For: Me
(03-29-2018 03:02 PM)memtigbb Wrote:  

If I remember correctly, Chuck Daly questioned his heart on multiple occassions. One time going so far as to say that Penny couldnt come to practices but he would drive past the countryclub to see Penny on the golf course.

http://articles.courant.com/1999-02-25/s...t-harpring

His reputation was damaged, too. With the Magic medical staff and Hardaway in disagreement over the severity of his injury, Hardaway flew to Houston for a second opinion, and stayed there for his rehabilitation. Daly, in his first season as Magic coach after winning two championships with the Pistons, wondered aloud about Hardaway's commitment. So, privately, did other members of the front office.

Honestly I think Penny was depressed. I mean, went to the mountain top to having to watch Shaq move on to LA and win all those titles with the Lakers. Hell I was depressed for Penny. I think the middle school gig with Mayweather lifted Penny out of it. Woke him up. Gave him meaning and led to what we are seeing now. He’s a new man. Not the one we all knew as a Tiger or nba player.
03-29-2018 04:32 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.