Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

For You Old School Tiger Fans
Bookmark and Share
Rufus T. Firefly Online
1st String

I Root For: Memphis
For You Old School Tiger Fans
I've watched the Tigers for 42 of my 47 years and was remembering some of the players around when Otis Jackson played and I ask you guys this. Did you like Doom Haynes , Bobby Parks , or Baskerville better back in the day? Bobby used to sit me in his lap at Middleton to get cheerleaders attention when my dad was the coach so I'm a little partial to him lol. I do miss Doom banking those shots in and Bask snatching rebounds though.Your opinions?
03-27-2018 02:57 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

k2tigers Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
RE: For You Old School Tiger Fans
ALL of them because they all had specialized talents

Baskerville had the highest ceiling IMO
03-27-2018 03:02 PM
memtiger1987 Offline
All American

I liked them all, but Bobby was definitely one of my favorites...
03-27-2018 03:06 PM
mairving Offline
Ignant Homer

(03-27-2018 02:57 PM)Rufus T. Firefly Wrote:  I've watched the Tigers for 42 of my 47 years and was remembering some of the players around when Otis Jackson played and I ask you guys this. Did you like Doom Haynes , Bobby Parks , or Baskerville better back in the day? Bobby used to sit me in his lap at Middleton to get cheerleaders attention when my dad was the coach so I'm a little partial to him lol. I do miss Doom banking those shots in and Bask snatching rebounds though.Your opinions?

I think Baskerville may have come a year after Jackson left.

Some of the players that he played with:
Rodney Lee
James Bradley
Hank McDowell
Dennis Isbell
Doom Haynes
Bobby Parks
Jon Albright
Keith Lee
Derrick Phillips
Ricky McCoy
03-27-2018 03:08 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MemphisTigerPawr Offline
Jesus is the risen LORD and Savior

I Root For: TIGERS

Donators
(03-27-2018 02:57 PM)Rufus T. Firefly Wrote:  I've watched the Tigers for 42 of my 47 years and was remembering some of the players around when Otis Jackson played and I ask you guys this. Did you like Doom Haynes , Bobby Parks , or Baskerville better back in the day? Bobby used to sit me in his lap at Middleton to get cheerleaders attention when my dad was the coach so I'm a little partial to him lol. I do miss Doom banking those shots in and Bask snatching rebounds though.Your opinions?

Middleton is getting a new gym after all these years
Of those three I think I liked Doom the best.
03-27-2018 03:09 PM
mairving Offline
Ignant Homer

(03-27-2018 03:09 PM)MemphisTigerPawr Wrote:  

Doom was the most unique. How many players have you ever seen that banked in a three on purpose?
03-27-2018 03:09 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Rocketman1964 Offline
Water Engineer

Keith Lee, The most fundamental big man I've ever seen play.
03-27-2018 03:19 PM
Rufus T. Firefly Online
1st String

(03-27-2018 03:09 PM)MemphisTigerPawr Wrote:  

I haven't been in that gym in over 30 years.My mom was married the first time to J.P. Shelly who has owned the hardware store for years.
03-27-2018 03:23 PM
Rufus T. Firefly Online
1st String

I just live in Corinth so I ought to go check the new one out.
03-27-2018 03:24 PM
airric2255 Offline
Special Teams

I always was a huge Bobby Parks fan. His knee injury at the end of the '83 - '84 season really hurt the Tigers chances of advancing deeper in the NCAA tournament (if memory serves me correctly).
03-27-2018 03:28 PM
batman Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Bobby Parks was my first favorite Tiger player.
03-27-2018 03:34 PM
Advertisement

airric2255 Offline
Special Teams

(03-27-2018 03:28 PM)airric2255 Wrote:  

I always was a huge Bobby Parks fan. His knee injury at the end of the '83 - '84 season really hurt the Tigers chances of advancing deeper in the NCAA tournament (if memory serves me correctly).

Went down a rabbit hole to see what happened to Bobby's son, Bobby Ray Parks, Jr. (Ray Ray):

https://twitter.com/ray1parks?lang=en (unsure how many of the 40K followers are real, but damn, that's a lot)

http://gleague.nba.com/player/bobby-ray-parks-jr/

http://aseanbasketballleague.com/player/...-parks-jr/
03-27-2018 03:35 PM
karter25 Offline
1st String

I Root For: memphis
I believe Doom retired within the last few years from working as a Correction Officer with the state. I used to see him and make him smile when I would talk Tiger basketball.
03-27-2018 03:55 PM
pmantiger Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

That's like trying to pick between my kids!! I was in school in those days and got to play some pick up ball with Doom and Bobby a few times. If you put a gun to my head I would probably go Doom, Bobby and Baskerville in that order but the margin between Doom and Bobby is razor thin.
03-27-2018 04:22 PM
DoomHaynesJr Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: The Tigers
Doom. Definitively.
03-27-2018 04:22 PM
UofMTigerTim Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Bobby Parks.

Speaking of Otis Jackson I brought a smile to his face when I started a conversation about how I believe people don't know how good Keith Lee was. Otis told me he felt Keith Lee was the best player he has ever seen. Just like Penny those knees cut Keith's career way too short.
03-27-2018 04:29 PM
Advertisement

Rufus T. Firefly Online
1st String

I remember the first time I saw Sylvester Gray I thought he wad a Greek god.I wonder how good we would have been had he and Marvin had stayed eligible.
03-27-2018 05:09 PM
holyterror Offline
Hall of Famer

Batman. All day long.

Loved doom’s lamb chops tho
03-27-2018 05:19 PM
CKMcDan Offline
1st String

I Root For:
If we don't lose Parks before the post-season, that team might have beaten Phi Slamma Jamma. That '83-84 Tiger team was the deepest team I think we've ever had.

Didn't Derrick Phillips get hurt late in the '83-'84 season as well?
03-27-2018 05:23 PM
MemphisTigerPawr Offline
Jesus is the risen LORD and Savior

I Root For: TIGERS

Donators
(03-27-2018 03:24 PM)Rufus T. Firefly Wrote:  I just live in Corinth so I ought to go check the new one out.
Not built yet but they are getting ready.
03-27-2018 05:33 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.