Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

CUSA park factors
Bookmark and Share
BeagleUSM Offline
Thrillsville

I Root For: Southern Miss
Question CUSA park factors
This is something I've been working on for awhile but just got around to completing it. I took all Conference USA league games from 2015-2017 and calculated a 3-year park factor for 14 ballparks (12 primary stadiums + 2 alternate stadiums).

[Image: WNicfwT.png]

https://www.sportingcharts.com/dictionar...actor.aspx

I was very surprised to see USM's Pete Taylor Park as the #1 pitcher-friendly park in the league. According to this, PTP decreases run scoring by 24%. The most hitter-friendly park (according to the park factor stat) in C-USA, MTSU's Reese Smith Jr. Field, increases run scoring by 22%.

When I first started this, I figured USM, LT, and UTSA, would have the most hitter-friendly parks. I thought Rice would have the most pitcher-friendly park. Not so.

This is just one metric and there are some more advanced ways to do this. There are also park factors for specific stats (such as HRs), but that might take a little longer to do.
(This post was last modified: 03-26-2018 11:29 AM by BeagleUSM.)
03-26-2018 11:28 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

UTSAMarineVet09 Offline
Corporal of the Board.

I Root For: UTSA
RE: CUSA park factors
(03-26-2018 11:28 AM)BeagleUSM Wrote:  This is something I've been working on for awhile but just got around to completing it. I took all Conference USA league games from 2015-2017 and calculated a 3-year park factor for 14 ballparks (12 primary stadiums + 2 alternate stadiums).

I was very surprised to see USM's Pete Taylor Park as the #1 pitcher-friendly park in the league. According to this, PTP decreases run scoring by 24%. The most hitter-friendly park (according to the park factor stat) in C-USA, MTSU's Reese Smith Jr. Field, increases run scoring by 22%.

When I first started this, I figured USM, LT, and UTSA, would have the most hitter-friendly parks. I thought Rice would have the most pitcher-friendly park. Not so.

This is just one metric and there are some more advanced ways to do this. There are also park factors for specific stats (such as HRs), but that might take a little longer to do.

UTSA also has an alternate ballpark, Nelson Wolf Stadium

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nelson_W._...al_Stadium
03-26-2018 11:39 AM
BeagleUSM Offline
Thrillsville

(03-26-2018 11:39 AM)UTSAMarineVet09 Wrote:  
(03-26-2018 11:28 AM)BeagleUSM Wrote:  This is something I've been working on for awhile but just got around to completing it. I took all Conference USA league games from 2015-2017 and calculated a 3-year park factor for 14 ballparks (12 primary stadiums + 2 alternate stadiums).

Yeah, but you guys haven’t played any conference games there from what I can tell. I used CUSA league games from 2015-2017 for this project.
03-26-2018 11:46 AM
SpaceRaider Online
All American

I Root For: MiddleTennessee

Seems like the last few years Middle Tennessee's pitching may have aided in the run scoring by our opponents, because it doesn't seem like our offensive output is that great... 03-banghead
03-26-2018 12:43 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

UTSAMarineVet09 Offline
Corporal of the Board.

I Root For: UTSA
(03-26-2018 11:46 AM)BeagleUSM Wrote:  
(03-26-2018 11:39 AM)UTSAMarineVet09 Wrote:  

Yeah, but you guys haven’t played any conference games there from what I can tell. I used CUSA league games from 2015-2017 for this project.

fair enough
03-26-2018 01:17 PM
shiftyeagle Offline
Deus Vult

Better teams seem to (generally) be in the bottom half and (typically) have superior pitching staffs.
03-26-2018 01:30 PM
OwlFamily Offline
FLORIDA ATLANTICS DEFENDER OF THE FAITH

I Root For: FLORIDA ATLANTIC

[Image: nerds.jpg]

I love baseball, but the analytics stuff just kills me.
03-26-2018 01:40 PM
Advertisement

ghostofclt Offline
1st String

I Root For: Charlotte
clt says this is interesting. Can you factor in the weather?
03-26-2018 09:33 PM
BeagleUSM Offline
Thrillsville

(03-26-2018 01:30 PM)shiftyeagle Wrote:  Better teams seem to (generally) be in the bottom half and (typically) have superior pitching staffs.

It takes into account runs scored too, though. USM scores more on the road than we do at home, for example. That factors into the rating.
(This post was last modified: 03-26-2018 10:53 PM by BeagleUSM.)
03-26-2018 10:52 PM
shiftyeagle Offline
Deus Vult

(03-26-2018 10:52 PM)BeagleUSM Wrote:  
(03-26-2018 01:30 PM)shiftyeagle Wrote:  Better teams seem to (generally) be in the bottom half and (typically) have superior pitching staffs.

It takes into account runs scored too, though. USM scores more on the road than we do at home, for example. That factors into the rating.

Ah, okay. My mistake.
03-27-2018 06:37 AM
Advertisement

Collin_Ellis Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Tech
Interesting. JC Love is not a large place! I figured the numbers would be higher. Thanks for posting
03-28-2018 07:57 AM
LaTechBanjo Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: LaTech
(03-28-2018 07:57 AM)Collin_Ellis Wrote:  Interesting. JC Love is not a large place! I figured the numbers would be higher. Thanks for posting

I'm equally surprised.

I bet it has something to do with orientation of the field. During baseball season, the wind tends to be out of the south and east, ie blowing into the plate.
03-28-2018 12:42 PM
shiftyeagle Offline
Deus Vult

(03-28-2018 12:42 PM)LaTechBanjo Wrote:  
(03-28-2018 07:57 AM)Collin_Ellis Wrote:  Interesting. JC Love is not a large place! I figured the numbers would be higher. Thanks for posting

I'm equally surprised.

I bet it has something to do with orientation of the field.

Is that you Tommy John?
03-28-2018 04:08 PM
Advertisement

usm99 Offline
Heisman

I'm equally surprised.

I bet it has something to do with orientation of the field. During baseball season, the wind tends to be out of the south and east, ie blowing into the plate.

This will make the CUSA tournament in Biloxi a little more troubling for USM in my opinion. I remember in last year's tourney the wind always seemed to be blowing in from right field towards home plate OR straight out towards left field. I think there were only 2-3 HRs hit to right field all week while there were probably 20+ to left (strictly a guess here). USM has 6 of it's 9 starters as LH hitters including our 3, 4 and 5 hitters who have combined to hit 17 of our 28 HRs so far.
03-28-2018 04:23 PM
stinkfist Online
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
(03-28-2018 04:23 PM)usm99 Wrote:  

I'm equally surprised.

This will make the CUSA tournament in Biloxi a little more troubling for USM in my opinion. I remember in last year's tourney the wind always seemed to be blowing in from right field towards home plate OR straight out towards left field. I think there were only 2-3 HRs hit to right field all week while there were probably 20+ to left (strictly a guess here). USM has 6 of it's 9 starters as LH hitters including our 3, 4 and 5 hitters who have combined to hit 17 of our 28 HRs so far.

yep......except when Burdeaux 'almost went yard' that was caught at the wall against Rice.....as soon as it left the bat, it was at that moment I knew it would hit the 'wall of wind' howling from the east....it's funny how the winds swirl with all the surrounding architecture at that joint....it's like playing a tree lined golf course in 15 mph winds when the 8-iron could've been a 7 or 9-iron if a fade or a hook...

there is no question the prevailing wind there doesn't favor our lefty lineup at the plate looking at the fence....however, once you know that going in, you swing for base hits to the gap center/opposite field.....

if you're a pure hitter, you do what is req'd to get on base....
(This post was last modified: 03-29-2018 09:04 AM by stinkfist.)
03-29-2018 09:03 AM
odu09 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
I interpreted this as ODU is a defensive friendly park? Is that accurate?
03-29-2018 09:16 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.