Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Gonzaga to the MWC
Bookmark and Share
Lopes87 Offline
1st String

I Root For: GCU
Gonzaga to the MWC
Looks like there is a better chance of it happening in the next 2 weeks.

GCU SeattleU CBU.....

Fight for the soon to be open spot in the WCC. lol
03-24-2018 06:34 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

SoCalBobcat78 Offline
All American

I Root For: TXST, UCLA, CBU
RE: Gonzaga to the MWC
(03-24-2018 06:34 PM)Lopes87 Wrote:  Looks like there is a better chance of it happening in the next 2 weeks.

GCU SeattleU CBU.....

Athletic Director Mike Roth confirmed that they are taking a serious look at the MWC, but "this isn't a no-brainer decision for us by any stretch," Roth said.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basket...two-weeks/

Roth added, "Our conference doesn't get the national respect, and the Mountain West has better respect," Roth said. "Whether it's significant enough for us to make that move, we're trying to figure [that] out."

The MWC Commissioner said: "We would need to have some serious, detailed conversations which have not happened to date. We're interested because they're a tremendous basketball program. They're Western-based."

So maybe, maybe not. Not much difference between the two conferences, but that changes if Gonzaga goes to the MWC. Gonzaga recruiting has never been great, so the question is, how much better would it be in the MWC? Last season they recruited their first McDonald's All-American in Zach Collins and he helped lead them to the national championship. Collins left for the NBA draft. So can they get more players like Collins in the MWC?
03-24-2018 08:40 PM
Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: tOSU SJSU Stan'
There is an RPI boost both ways. It was mentioned in the article by Dodd. Also mentioned, the money involved is not decisive (either way) for Gonzaga. Dodd also notes that GU will most likely do whatever Mark Few thinks is best.

This whole thing seems to center around Roth and GU's desire to keep Mark Few. They know if he leaves, those sell outs will quickly be a thing of the past, and also the tourney runs, especially if they stay in the WCC. Ultimately that will be the deciding factor.

The details can be made to work: remember Valpo joined the MVC May25th, and IUPUI joined the Horizon June 28th, just 3 days before the switch (!). But I think it should be clear by tax day April 14th as Wichita joined the American on April 7th, and resolved publicly by May 1st. If it drags on past that, I suspect both sides would just kick the can down the road a year.

My hunch is it will happen. Roth would not talk about it if he wasn't pretty close to pulling the trigger. The President's vote is more a formality, there is zero opposition from the ADs.

And if they move, I see zero response by the WCC, at least until well into next year. BYU will go into exploratory talks with the MWC, but for a variety of reasons I think they will ultimately decide not to join the MWC "at this time" but wont burn any bridges. Their time schedule is dictated by Oklahoma's conference alignment decision is in 2023/24, and I think they will push it off until then. But not until after the next set of TV deals are done about this time next year. The WCC really can't add anyone until they know what BYU will do, and if I'm right, that they push a decision out to March or even April next year, they WCC wont really have adequate time to make a decision on anyone until next summer. By then they will be looking at a 2020/21 addition, which they wont have to formally decide until early 2020.
03-25-2018 02:30 AM
Advertisement

DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
I do wonder if the fans will come out to Support Saint Mary's if they moved to the MWC? The three top teams have been drugged down by the rest of the conference with low attendance and horrible teams lately. This could actually strike a blow to the AAC in a way if the MWC does go ahead and go to 16. It is a arms race right now for the 2 conferences to be a power conference.
03-25-2018 08:18 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Lopes87 Offline
1st String

(03-24-2018 08:40 PM)SoCalBobcat78 Wrote:  
(03-24-2018 06:34 PM)Lopes87 Wrote:  Looks like there is a better chance of it happening in the next 2 weeks.

GCU SeattleU CBU.....

Athletic Director Mike Roth confirmed that they are taking a serious look at the MWC, but "this isn't a no-brainer decision for us by any stretch," Roth said.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basket...two-weeks/

Roth added, "Our conference doesn't get the national respect, and the Mountain West has better respect," Roth said. "Whether it's significant enough for us to make that move, we're trying to figure [that] out."

The MWC Commissioner said: "We would need to have some serious, detailed conversations which have not happened to date. We're interested because they're a tremendous basketball program. They're Western-based."

So maybe, maybe not. Not much difference between the two conferences, but that changes if Gonzaga goes to the MWC. Gonzaga recruiting has never been great, so the question is, how much better would it be in the MWC? Last season they recruited their first McDonald's All-American in Zach Collins and he helped lead them to the national championship. Collins left for the NBA draft. So can they get more players like Collins in the MWC?

The Zags never look like they have good recruiting classes b/c they find their guys overseas where there isn't a ranking system thats comparable to what there is in the states. Gonzaga will be just fine anywhere they end up.
03-25-2018 02:12 PM
Advertisement

Lopes87 Offline
1st String

(03-25-2018 08:18 AM)DavidSt Wrote:  I do wonder if the fans will come out to Support Saint Mary's if they moved to the MWC? The three top teams have been drugged down by the rest of the conference with low attendance and horrible teams lately. This could actually strike a blow to the AAC in a way if the MWC does go ahead and go to 16. It is a arms race right now for the 2 conferences to be a power conference.

Outside Gonzaga who has pulled their weight? SMC has a similar OOC like most WAC schools. BYU has been meh. and the rest of the league is just hanging out.
03-25-2018 02:15 PM
SoCalBobcat78 Offline
All American

I Root For: TXST, UCLA, CBU
(03-25-2018 02:30 AM)Stugray2 Wrote:  There is an RPI boost both ways. It was mentioned in the article by Dodd. Also mentioned, the money involved is not decisive (either way) for Gonzaga. Dodd also notes that GU will most likely do whatever Mark Few thinks is best.

This whole thing seems to center around Roth and GU's desire to keep Mark Few. They know if he leaves, those sell outs will quickly be a thing of the past, and also the tourney runs, especially if they stay in the WCC. Ultimately that will be the deciding factor.

Stu, the RPI difference between the two conferences is minimal:

Conference RPI 2014-2018
2018 - MWC #9, WCC #12 (Dodd incorrectly had the WCC at 14)
2017 - WCC #9, MWC #10
2016 - MWC#11,WCC#14
2015- WCC #11, MWC #13
2014 - WCC #9, MWC # 10

In three of the last five years, the WCC had the better RPI. But there is very little difference. The difference happens if you take Gonzaga out of the WCC and put them into the MWC. Helps the MWC significantly, hurts the WCC significantly.

The MWC has been in existence since 1999. They have never had a school get past the sweet sixteen in that time. Which is why they need Gonzaga to get to the next level. They are at the same level with the WCC without Gonzaga.

In 2017, the WCC had two players drafted (both from Gonzaga) in the NBA Draft and the MWC had zero players drafted. As a comparison, the PAC-12 had 14 players drafted. The talent has slipped and the performances have slipped in the MWC. The MWC is not much better than the WAC these days.

As I said in a previous post, Mark Few is not leaving Gonzaga. He said in an interview in 2016 that “I mean, Gonzaga is who I am.” There is zero evidence that Few would leave Gonzaga. You are making that up. This has always been about what is best for Gonzaga.

If Few was really going to leave Gonzaga, what would the MWC do for him? The PAC-12 would be the logical destination for a real challenge. He was offered the Oregon job in 2009 and turned it down. The Oregon campus is 11 miles from his hometown where his parents still live. He is not leaving.
03-25-2018 03:16 PM
Advertisement

Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: tOSU SJSU Stan'
SoCalBobcat,

You are just flat wrong. Remove GU from the WCC and recalculate. They drop several spots. More important. 8 MWC schools are in the top 100 (well one was 104), while only 2 WCC besides GU.

There is an RPI bump with adding a school like GU. The American got that with Wichita State and it was enough to get Houston in the Tournament as an at-large this year. A similar boost might could have given the MWC a 3rd school as well with Gonzaga in the league.

The WCC was one bid with GU. The WCC other than Gonzaga averages less than half the credits of the MWC.

Every metric clearly shows the MWC better than the WCC, and it's much much greater when you remove GU from the WCC for comparison (which is how you compare).

So rerun your calculations with GU not in either league.
03-25-2018 08:54 PM
NMSUPistolPete Offline
All American

I Root For: NMSU
How does this thread pertain to the WAC at this current time? I see a lot of discussion about the MWC and Gonzaga by mostly posters not affiliated with any WAC school. Until something "actually" happens with regards to Gonzaga's conference affiliation, the WAC remains intact, untouched, and a viable conference.
(This post was last modified: 03-25-2018 09:04 PM by NMSUPistolPete.)
03-25-2018 09:03 PM
Advertisement

AuzGrams Offline
1st String

I Root For: Utah, UVU, UNC bb
Why does Gonzaga want to leave the WCC? Is MWC TV money from basketball more? Because they have the same/maybe even better chance of winning the conference tournament in the WCC, and they still get BYU and St. Mary's every year.
03-26-2018 02:20 PM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
Some coaches in the the WCC from California would loved to have Grand Canyon U. to be a member of the conference. Phoenix tv market, plus a recruiting grounds to get some talent from Arizona.
03-26-2018 03:48 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
AZcats Offline
1st String

I Root For: stAte, af, zona
(03-26-2018 03:48 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  Some coaches in the the WCC from California would loved to have Grand Canyon U. to be a member of the conference. Phoenix tv market, plus a recruiting grounds to get some talent from Arizona.

You and CUSA are about the only ones who care about marketz. Grand Canyon has had some success in 1 sport that I know of but they are not going to deliver the Phoenix market to anyone especially with not having football. There is another really big school in the area that has football and has won some national titles in multiple sports that dominates the local media. Not to mention the 4 major professional teams that call metro Phoenix home, one of which has 3 league championships also.
03-27-2018 12:21 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.